1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

"World CEP2 Challenge" planning thread

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Peter1986C, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Prize qualification could include:

- Earn "x" amount of points, complete "y" valid CEP2 work units
    - Points qualification can be verfied on FreeDC
    - CEP2 qualification will require the prize winner to submit a screenshot showing the valid work... which is available on WCG

My thoughts anyway- what do you think?

Peter1986C and [Ion] say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Peter1986C

Peter1986C

Thanks Received:
    Seems good. BTW, I suppose the prizes will be TPU only? Just asking, 'cause I would like to know. :)

Norton says thanks.
  3. Norton

Thanks Received:
    We usually limit to WCG-TPU Team members... the thoughts of some type of trophy or prize for the Team that wins the challenge has been discussed in the past but we've never done such a thing.

Peter1986C says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Peter1986C

Peter1986C

Thanks Received:
    Maybe I will do a small encouragement prize in form of a PP donation to a non-TPU member but I still have to consider that.

5. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    That seems like a very solid strategy :toast:

What sort of 'x' and 'y' values are you thinking of? Obviously there's a huge difference in terms out output among different members, so it would have to be tailored to that..

Peter1986C says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree with it as well!

Peter1986C says thanks.
  7. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Well the challenge will last about a week so for prize qualification my suggestion would be either:

- 10k points (FreeDC) and 10 completed CEP2 wu's

OR

- 5k points (FreeDC) and 5-7 completed CEP2 wu's

Thoughts?

Peter1986C says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Not entirely sure. I'd like to make sure that people are actually crunching consistently. 10k points would require a Core 2 Quad or pretty much any gen Core i3 running consistently over the course of the week (my Q6600 does about 1.9k and the i3 2100s do about 1.8k each). Unfortunately, this would disenfranchise many people just running a C2D (although a 4GHz E8400 running Linux can do 20k in a week without too much difficulty). I suppose that the number of people running E6400s or similar at this point is probably very slim, so that's probably OK.

Peter1986C says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Peter1986C

Peter1986C

Thanks Received:
    Shall we settle on 8K points (Free-DC) and a minimum of 8 CEP2 WUs?

ThE_MaD_ShOt, Arjai, Vinska and 2 others say thanks.
  10. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    That sounds fair to me :toast:

Arjai and Peter1986C say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I may have to reconfigure a rig or 2 to make the 8 cep2 quota. I checked and I have 4 valid results, 2 pending and 5 in progress for the last 2 weeks. If this is a trend the prize entrants is going to be a small list. Is that what we are aiming for for this challange, is to have people only crunch CEP2 wu's? I will try a reconfigure on 1 rig and see how it goes. If it doesn't spool up or doesn't go right I may pull myself from the contest. I will still crunch though.

[​IMG]

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    Do I detect a voice of dissonance? I was under the impression this was a "CEP2 Challenge."

The key word? 'Challenge.'

As in this is not easy, maybe even not possible.

But, in a somewhat watered down, all-inclusive twitch, it has become a compromise. Why? Again?

Something about prizes. Something about too many uber crunchers? Big deal. What about just doing what you can, maybe learning something about your system and it's limits, and doing a drawing amongst the participants so, Uber crunchers and little laptops are playing the same cards.

I say, all in! Or skip it Skippy! LOL!

:rockout:

13. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I am saying that if I have only had 4 valids in the past 2 weeks with the horsepower I have where will that leave the rest of the team that aren't running but 1 or 2 rigs? I am thinking to pull myself to to maybe open a spot for someone else to have a chance and maybe the requirements can go down. Actually I am going to pull myself out of the hat for the running of prizes. I will just crunch as I have and it will be what it is.

Arjai I have been on this team long enough for people to know I am not thinking of myself here. I am thinking of the other team members as to why I am pulling myself. If a challange is made that is impossible for 90% of the team to compete in then maybe the rules need to be changed and weighted towards the one with less to work with. Also there are new members and others that just don't feel comfortable with changing options and configs. I mean hell I am running 5 decent rigs and you see what I did in the last 2 weeks. I have to change profiles to have a chance.

Arjai says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    Nonsense!
    Over the last 7 days, my "7+ year old grandpa" dual-core Athlon 64 X2 running at 2.3GHz alone crunched 5 CEP2 WUs while still working on FAAH & SN2S AND with crunching being stopped ~6 hours each day due to my father using it.
    Thus, if running only CEP2 and running 24/7, most should manage those 8 WUs without too much problem, I believe.

Peter1986C says thanks.
  15. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Well something is going on if with 5 rigs I have only 4 valid cep2 wu's and as I said some people may not be comfortable changing there profiles to only crunch CEP2. I can change all 5 of mine and make the requirements easily. There isn't an issues there. What I am saying is if I didn't do 8 in the past 2 weeks with being a top 5 cruncher on the team, what about the rest of the team. The 8k ppd is good but I think the 8 cep2 wu requirement maybe tough on alot of people. Just my 2 cents and my sole opinion. What happens is up to the rest of the team, not my decision and since I pulled myself from the running I guess it really doesn't pertain to me. So i'll let you all have at it. :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    And

While my 0.02€ would be: Well this IS a CEP2 challenge afterall. So anyone who wishes to participate in a CEP2 Challenge should be ready to crunch all-CEP2.
    (And I actually think 8 WUs is a bit too little, even.)

Arjai, Peter1986C and ThE_MaD_ShOt say thanks.
  17. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Vinska I do understand your point. I really do. With team challenges in the past we normally haven't made it to where you "had" to alter your crunching style and we have weight it towards new and the lower output team members. If this challenge is different that's cool with me we just need to make it known in the op that you will have to make changes to your crunching profile for it. That way team members will know in advance what they need to do. Also a little tutorial for those that don't know how to customize there crunching profile wouldn't hurt. I just want things to be fair for the whole team, and have more members able to be accepted in the challenge.

Oh example being, when we did the gpu wu challenge, we did not have any requirement on having to complete gpu wu's and we made to total points for the challenge really low to accommodate those that didn't crunch on there gpu's.

Peter1986C says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I have noticed that time to completion are doubled for any WU/projects I run. right now CEP is doing 1WU per 13Hr's

What would cause this?

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I think mine are like 13hrs to complete also Brandon. I will check when I get home.

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    ok cause I have seen places were they are suppose to be around 7 hours

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Norton

Thanks Received:
    My rigs also run in that 12-13hr range per wu.

As far as requirements go.... let's all take a step back and take it down a notch. This is a planning thread so just put your thoughts out there.

On the # of wu's crunched.... I was also getting very few until I upped the # of them that WCG would send me at a time (currently 8) and I do get more than I used to w/o affecting the other projects I'm currently crunching.

Arjai and Peter1986C say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Peter1986C

Peter1986C

Thanks Received:
    Sometimes they have an estimated time left of a few hours and yet decide they are done (before those 14h). Additionally, 10-15 hours is pretty normal.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Given the circumstances, I am starting to think that the challenge would be less messy if we turn this in to a CEP2-only, and do not use the rules as we made them now.

1) It might be an incentive to make sure the rig is really stable (so that the CEP2 WUs actually run well with no time/energy wasted. It is an energy related issue after all ;)).
    2) It avoids the risk of teams getting a high score in the challenge rankings with little or no CEP2 WUs.
    3) It avoids some confusion about what projects count for the challenge/prizes, especially to newbies.
    4) Focussing on one projectwill give a clearer challenge feel to the matter.
    5) It's easier to direct newbie crunchers to an effective challenge strategy.
    6) "Results returned" is an easy to handle measurement scale (more importantly, it avoids confusion between the various stats sites and WCG-unique points counting system).

Important notice on the prizes: I think I will add a small PP donation for a lucky draw among the lower 50%, excluding TPU of the participating teams, as long as they have crunched at least 5*N CEP2 WUs during the challenge (N=the number of members; this makes it adjust for team size well enough I think). I will leave it up to their respective captains to decide how to divide the money within their team (so they will get the money, I hope this is "secure" enough).
    The top 50%, excluding TPU, will be able to win a small PP donation of mine as well, a slightly bigger one than the aforementioned. Once again, I will leave it up to their respective captains to decide how to divide the money within their team.

Your input please. :)

23. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    Want to run 100% CEP2 WUs? Here's how...

Some of these new crunchers are killing it with their new stuff. When I started crunching, it was on a Socket A worth about 500 ppd running 24/7. There were challenges then, I believe. I found and built a little p4 to up my points to maybe get into some challenges, then I acquired a special AMD 64x2. ;) And I was ready to rock!

Well, about then I stumbled. I have recovered enough to land this little lappy top and I am gonna burn this sucker to the ground to get in on my first challenge!

I don't want it to be all watered down after working this hard. I want everybody all-in or what is the point? If you don't want prizes, fine. But why quit? This is bigger than than me, I know, which is why we should all jump in feet first!

Think of how much research can be done by this team solely concentrating on one goal, pumping out as many WU's they can!

Points for Pie, be damned! Let's make some noise and Kill this CEP2 project!!

:rockout:

Rant, over.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  24. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Arjai you still have that special system?

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    The MAD Cruncher, is safe and sound. It is currently sleeping in a friends closet, waiting for me to get back on my feetsies. :rolleyes:

It will shine again, all blue and stuff, soon!

:D

Peter1986C, Norton and ThE_MaD_ShOt say thanks.