• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

World Community Grid/F@H: Crunching for the Cure... or are we?

Processor W3520 Xeon
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth X58
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Storage 60Gb Vertex II 500Gb storage
Display(s) LG 42LH40 42" 1080P
Case 932 HAF
Audio Device(s) Voices in my head
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Benchmark Scores Pretty High one's. but it's not a contest/ I just read them for the articles.
your all folding and crunching to help north korea build nuclear weapons you just dont know it yet

Do you have something to back this claim up?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
how else do you think they figured it out?

Processor W3520 Xeon
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Case 932 HAF
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Benchmark Scores Pretty High one's. but it's not a contest/ I just read them for the articles.
how else do you think they figured it out?

If you have something to say on the topic of the thread we'd love to hear it... otherwise...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

theonedub

habe fidem
System Name Erakith || AsRock NUCS
Processor AMD ThreadRipper 2990WX ES (32c/64t 3.5ghz@1.02v) || Intel i7 1360P Raptor Lake-P
Motherboard MSI X399 MEG Creation || AsRock OE
Cooling EK Supremacy TR4 Full Nickel, D5 w/ EK Top, 2X EK-CoolStream XTX 360 & Photon 270 Res || OE
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB DDR4 3000|| 2x16GB Corsair DDR4
Video Card(s) Vega 64 EK FC|| Intel Iris Xe
Storage 250gb WD Black NVMe & (2) 2TB Intel 660p NVMe || 2TB Corsair MP600 Pro
Display(s) 34" Dell Ultrasharp U3415W
Case CaseLabs Merlin SM8 || Aluminum Unibody
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB w/ Cherry MX Silent
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 || WIndows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores WCG & F@H Only
The fact that you are taking someone's good intentions and equating it to "Playing with people's lives" is shameful. :slap: You have no right to call someone else lazy, you are not them. Lighten up.

Geez take it easy E. All he is saying is that this is important work that, in the end, we hope will save lives. There is no point in wasting CPU time or sending in bad results if they can be prevented by stability testing.

Yes its true that participating in Distributed Computing is a volunteer act that people do with good intentions, and that's great. However, just because your intentions are good or because you are donating the resources doesn't mean you should cut corners or not hold yourself to a minimum/required standard. Is it okay to donate broken toys to a toy drive, not wash your hands when volunteering at a soup kitchen, or to donate just the muffin tops? No, and I think sending WUs on an untested OC is a near equivalent.

I will agree that its unfair to call someone lazy for not stability testing though, more often then not getting WCG and F@H running right is a lot more work intensive then opening OCCT or LinX and pressing go while you watch TV, go out, or sleep :laugh:

In the end though, if you want to ensure you are going to be giving worthwhile results to the project, get your stability test in :D

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I guess you missed my point, it doesn't matter. Regardless, continue doing what you are doing for the good of others.

Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 360 A-RGB // X12 Phanteks D30-120 D-RGB Fans
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Video Card(s) ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO
Storage Samsung Pro 980 2TB NVMe (OS and Games) // WD Black 10TB HDD (Storage)
Display(s) SAMSUNG 34-Inch SJ55W Ultrawide Gaming Monitor (LS34J550WQNXZA) – 75Hz Refresh, WQHD Computer Monito
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1200, 1200W 80+ Gold, ATX 3.0
Software Windows 11 Pro
You are doing it wrong. I very strongly argue against this. I don't care what you do with your own data, but if you're handling work units on a possibly unstable computer, you're possibly playing with lives because you were too lazy to run a good test for a while. One day max of time spent testing and not computing work units is nothing compared to a lifetime of corrupt results generated from a bad overclock.

Once again, everybody is entitled to their own opinions. No need to take it so seriously. That's what "error" units are for, they don't count, you don't get credited for them. I have never ever primed either of these rigs or stress tested. My i7 was crunching at 4.3 Ghz earlier for about 1.5 hours in the afternoon from a bench session, I lowered it back to 3.8 Ghz due to temps, was just too lazy to restart earlier. Anyhow, your opinion is your opinion. Here's proof that new school or ol school you can crunch without stability testing.

Zero Errors! My i7 has a new windows install so that's why there is two devices for it.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Sorry if you think I'm coming across as harsh, and this post will probably come across as harsh as well, but if you are going to read this, I plead with you to read all the way until the end—don't stop midpoint in my post carrying the thought of "wow, hat's really an asshole" with you. I truly believe that to run a project like Folding@Home or WCG on an overclocked computer without sufficient stability testing is asinine. Sure, it may say zero errors, but what if there is an error somewhere in one of those work units, and it happens to slip through the cracks? Think of a complex math equation with many steps. What happens if you slip up and change a sign somewhere, slip up on your arithmatic? Sure, all the other stuff might be right, but there was a "stability error", per se, and the whole effort is wasted when you get the wrong answer. What if that is what we are doing... what if our possibly unstable computers are making a miscalculation somewhere, and it slips through the cracks?

As I said before, we could be holding future lives in our hands. When you overclock and get subtle stability errors over time because you never tested and you find out your computer is behaving abnormally, possibly not able to boot to windows because a critical system file got corrupted, there is no real harm done. Sure, it sucks reinstalling windows and all those programs and getting everything set up the way you had it, but at the end of the day when it's all said and done, it's no big deal; however, when an overclocked effort to cure cancer or another disease goes awry like an installation of windows that was slowly knocked off its feet by a slightly unstable system overtime, the effects could be disaterous.

I am not equating anyone's effort to "playing with lives", or at least, I am not trying to, even though it may seem that way. We all run distributed computing projects to help others. Many of us have spent our money to upgrade computers that run these projects to get more work done, and similarly, we overclock knowing that the higher speed will get more work done, and that's great. One of the main reasons I overclock is to get more work done. I'm just saying that if proper tests aren't done to verify the stability of our computers doing this magnificent work, it could be all for naught—or even having adverse effects.

Again, please don't take me the wrong way. I've been here since 2006; if I were a troll, asshole or otherwise, I'm sure someone would have noticed by now. I intend to do no harm to my readers, emotional or otherwise. I think we're a great bunch of people and we have a very tight-knit community for being a tech forum as large as we are. I am friends with many of you, and some of you have helped me with many things. I recall getting a 17" LCD monitor off one of you for free, and I don't think you even asked me to pay shipping (if you're reading this, I havn't forgotten your name, I remember exactly who you are, but I remember you not wanting me to give your name out by publically thanking you). I just believe very strongly that everyone should test thier overclocks, if they are running a distributing project, such as F@H and WCG, the two projects many of us have become so fond of. If you are still reading at this point, and you are one of the ones who are running F@H or WCG without having properly stability tested your computer, I strongly encourage you to do so.

Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 360 A-RGB // X12 Phanteks D30-120 D-RGB Fans
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Video Card(s) ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO
Storage Samsung Pro 980 2TB NVMe (OS and Games) // WD Black 10TB HDD (Storage)
Display(s) SAMSUNG 34-Inch SJ55W Ultrawide Gaming Monitor (LS34J550WQNXZA) – 75Hz Refresh, WQHD Computer Monito
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1200, 1200W 80+ Gold, ATX 3.0
Software Windows 11 Pro
Sorry if you think I'm coming across as harsh, and this post will probably come across as harsh as well, but if you are going to read this, I plead with you to read all the way until the end—don't stop midpoint in my post carrying the thought of "wow, hat's really an asshole" with you. I truly believe that to run a project like Folding@Home or WCG on an overclocked computer without sufficient stability testing is asinine. Sure, it may say zero errors, but what if there is an error somewhere in one of those work units, and it happens to slip through the cracks? Think of a complex math equation with many steps. What happens if you slip up and change a sign somewhere, slip up on your arithmatic? Sure, all the other stuff might be right, but there was a "stability error", per se, and the whole effort is wasted when you get the wrong answer. What if that is what we are doing... what if our possibly unstable computers are making a miscalculation somewhere, and it slips through the cracks?

As I said before, we could be holding future lives in our hands. When you overclock and get subtle stability errors over time because you never tested and you find out your computer is behaving abnormally, possibly not able to boot to windows because a critical system file got corrupted, there is no real harm done. Sure, it sucks reinstalling windows and all those programs and getting everything set up the way you had it, but at the end of the day when it's all said and done, it's no big deal; however, when an overclocked effort to cure cancer or another disease goes awry like an installation of windows that was slowly knocked off its feet by a slightly unstable system overtime, the effects could be disaterous.

I am not equating anyone's effort to "playing with lives", or at least, I am not trying to, even though it may seem that way. We all run distributed computing projects to help others. Many of us have spent our money to upgrade computers that run these projects to get more work done, and similarly, we overclock knowing that the higher speed will get more work done, and that's great. One of the main reasons I overclock is to get more work done. I'm just saying that if proper tests aren't done to verify the stability of our computers doing this magnificent work, it could be all for naught—or even having adverse effects.

Again, please don't take me the wrong way. I've been here since 2006; if I were a troll, asshole or otherwise, I'm sure someone would have noticed by now. I intend to do no harm to my readers, emotional or otherwise. I think we're a great bunch of people and we have a very tight-knit community for being a tech forum as large as we are. I am friends with many of you, and some of you have helped me with many things. I recall getting a 17" LCD monitor off one of you for free, and I don't think you even asked me to pay shipping (if you're reading this, I havn't forgotten your name, I remember exactly who you are, but I remember you not wanting me to give your name out by publically thanking you). I just believe very strongly that everyone should test thier overclocks, if they are running a distributing project, such as F@H and WCG, the two projects many of us have become so fond of. If you are still reading at this point, and you are one of the ones who are running F@H or WCG without having properly stability tested your computer, I strongly encourage you to do so.

This post was much better than your last couple of posts bro, not harsh at all. That you encourage us to do so is totally fine. However, just because you passed OCT or Prime doesn't mean your computer is stable, you might pass 8 hours, but let it go 8.5 hours and crash. Might take longer, but the errors will still arise and it does not warrant anything. Even at stock clocks, a error can happen for no apparent reason and squeeze through the cracks. It's just something you can't control. I really appreciate your efforts and making this thread in the first place and your efforts toward helping the team and anybody who runs a distributed computing project as a whole, but you can't come in here expecting to change everyone's opinion which is what it seemed like a few posts back. Don't think there is nothing else to really say much as we both voiced our opinions and discussed them much already. Just don't want this back and forth to continue as like I said it's your opinion and then mine, they won't change. Hopefully somebody else chimes with some feedback of their own. :toast:

Reactions: hat

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Yes, even stock cpus can be unstable, or overclocks that pass say 24 hours of LinX, the the likelihood of that happening when stacked up againt a "set it and forget it" untested OC are slim to nil.

That aspect of my argument having been argued, I agree, I think we've both made our points, and there's not much left to discuss.

Processor W3520 Xeon
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Case 932 HAF
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Plus these are doctors and graduate students we are dealing with... They have to factor in an error percentage anyways! Its just good science to do so!!!