• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

World of Warcraft "as addictive as cocaine"

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
I bought WOW back in 2006 and it still sits in its original untouched and unopened package because I do not agree that people should have to pay every month just to play this game. It's utterly ridiculous especially when they make you pay for the retail copy.

This is why Left 4 Dead is the best deal for Single Player & MMO Multi-Player, buy the game and play all you want. Your original purchase warrants that Playing guarantee. No other fees, nothing, just enjoy your purchase. Now Expansion packs are a different story and I don’t mind buying then. Valve is really good this way, without ripping people off like Blizzard has been doing for a few years now.

Now this is interesting: I think people are taking WOW way too serious, like many which refuse to eat food or even use the washroom and end up holding it for several hours at a time. Explain to me how one can get so addicted to games like WOW? I just cannot fathom that, it’s a game for crying out loud. Play & have fun then move on to something productive, plain and simple. And if you find it difficult, then give yourself a few hours a day for gaming, just to satisfy your needs. But gaming for 24hrs + straight? WTF?

World of Warcraft "as addictive as cocaine"
Cocaine is a hell of a drug. And so is World of Warcraft, at least according to a Swedish youth organization, which has dubbed the diversion "the cocaine of the computer games world."

The report (which the Youth Care Foundation has not yet formally published), bases its findings on anecdotes from gamers, their parents, and its own observations, not a controlled study that actually compares the effects of playing World of Warcraft vs. the inhalation of powdered cocaine. Nevertheless, the group says that the addictive characteristics of WoW are powerful, with the foundation's Sven Rollenhagen noting, "There is not a single case of game addiction that we have worked with in which World of Warcraft has not played a part." He has also added that the game is "the crack cocaine of the computer game world" and "the most dangerous game on the market."

The foundation runs an addiction treatment center that is one of several that in recent years has expanded to include computer gaming.

To be sure, World of Warcraft has been the center of attention of numerous allegations that it can cause psychological or medical harm to players -- up to and including death. In 2008 a Swedish kid collapsed after playing the game for 20 hours straight. Reports were similarly aghast when one Korean child died while its parents went to a cafe to play the game. And there's plenty more where that came from. For some players, the game certainly does appear so addictive as to require an intervention from someone.

But is it really "as addictive as cocaine?" Well, that's probably just a convenient metaphor... not a literal comparison.
http://ca.tech.yahoo.com/experts/chrisnull/article/2746

RandomSunchips

Processor e8400 @ 3.6gHz cooled w/ Xigmatek HDT 1283
Motherboard DFI Lanparty P35 DK
Cooling Xigmatek 1283, 3 120mm Antec Tricools, 2 92mms, 1 250mm
Memory 2x2GB Mushkin DDR2 800 (5-5-5-15 2.025v)
Video Card(s) Evga gtx 260 (192 shaders)
Storage WD 640
Display(s) 17" LCD at 1280*1024
Case Thermaltake Armor
Audio Device(s) Intergrated
Power Supply Corsair TX650
I always knew I was a crackhead. :laugh:

ShadowFold

System Name The ShadowFold Draconis (Ordering soon)
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8ghz
Motherboard ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870
Cooling Stock
Memory Kingston ValueRAM 4GB DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) XFX ATi Radeon HD 5850 1gb
Storage Western Digital 640gb
Display(s) Acer 21.5" 5ms Full HD 1920x1080P
Case Antec Nine-Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Creative "Fatal1ty" Headset
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 650w
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Benchmark Scores -❶-❸-❸-❼-
That crapfest isn't addicting. Now, Everquest..

Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
Now Everquest.. is a different story :D

System Name JIM LAHEY
Processor CORE I9 9900K
Motherboard ASROCK Z390 TAICHI
Cooling COUGAR HELOR 360 AIO
Memory 32GB TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 ULTRA
Storage SAMSUNG EVO 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG STRIX 4K UG27UQR
Case THERMALTAKE VIEW 37
Audio Device(s) STEELSERIES ARCTIS 7 WIRELESS
Power Supply EVGA SUPERNOVA G+ 1000
Mouse STEELSERIES RIVAL 600
Keyboard STEELSERIES APEX 7 TKL
Software WINDOWS 10 ENTERPRISE
Benchmark Scores WUT
I hate WOW. L4D FTW!

Some people at my work talk about WOW alot. It's like a baby and its bottle.

System Name JIM LAHEY
Processor CORE I9 9900K
Storage SAMSUNG EVO 1TB
Case THERMALTAKE VIEW 37
Benchmark Scores WUT
Some people at my work talk about WOW alot. It's like a baby and its bottle.

I hear about it all the damn time In my Programming class, all the little Nerds who have never touched a woman in their lives always debate about who has more skills. I just want to :nutkick: them sometimes.

System Name JIM LAHEY
Processor CORE I9 9900K
Storage SAMSUNG EVO 1TB
Case THERMALTAKE VIEW 37
Benchmark Scores WUT
Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
Super,

I said the same thing some years back until a friend got me playing it back in September of 08. I wasnt about to pay $15 a month for a game. But I realized, that the money they charge you per month goes to the dev's to maintain the game and help keep all their servers worldwide up and running. This includes any new parts that needs to be replaced in the servers, basic maintenance, and what-have-you.

Its amazing how much flak WoW gets. People judge the game without even playing it. Which is just stupid and ignorant. If you played it and like it fine, but dont judge others for playing the game. Now im not saying you Super are doing that, its just in general because people to do it. And as Shadow calls it a "crapfest". Just plain stupid. Fanboyish if you will.

I personally am not addicted to the game. I played it for the first month, bought a 2 month prepaid game card, played maybe half a month and quit till almost the end of the second month and picked up the game again. I have been playing every month ever since because of the fact that there really isnt a game out there that I feel is any good. I have been playing Mirror's Edge but that game just pisses me off for as much as i love it and the graphics of the game. I have no opinon on F4D as I have yet to play it. Doubt I even will.

The comment on playing for 24hrs+ straight, I havent gone 24hrs straight but ive come damn close and NOT with WoW but with other games years ago before WoW was even released/had any interest in playing it.

As of right now, I am slowly getting away from gaming and I thought that day would never come. I am actually getting bored of WoW and every game I own and no other game really looks all that appealing to me.

HWA getting too slow for you now? :)

Starting to see more and more of you around here. :)

System Name JIM LAHEY
Processor CORE I9 9900K
Storage SAMSUNG EVO 1TB
Case THERMALTAKE VIEW 37
Benchmark Scores WUT
Super,

I said the same thing some years back until a friend got me playing it back in September of 08. I wasnt about to pay $15 a month for a game. But I realized, that the money they charge you per month goes to the dev's to maintain the game and help keep all their servers worldwide up and running. This includes any new parts that needs to be replaced in the servers, basic maintenance, and what-have-you.

Its amazing how much flak WoW gets. People judge the game without even playing it. Which is just stupid and ignorant. If you played it and like it fine, but dont judge others for playing the game. Now im not saying you Super are doing that, its just in general because people to do it. And as Shadow calls it a "crapfest". Just plain stupid. Fanboyish if you will.

I personally am not addicted to the game. I played it for the first month, bought a 2 month prepaid game card, played maybe half a month and quit till almost the end of the second month and picked up the game again. I have been playing every month ever since because of the fact that there really isnt a game out there that I feel is any good. I have been playing Mirror's Edge but that game just pisses me off for as much as i love it and the graphics of the game. I have no opinon on F4D as I have yet to play it. Doubt I even will.

The comment on playing for 24hrs+ straight, I havent gone 24hrs straight but ive come damn close and NOT with WoW but with other games years ago before WoW was even released/had any interest in playing it.

As of right now, I am slowly getting away from gaming and I thought that day would never come. I am actually getting bored of WoW and every game I own and no other game really looks all that appealing to me.

If your Refering to Me I dont judge everyone that plays it, only the Tards In my programming class :toast:

Super,

Now that is where I know you from :laugh:
I fully understand your point but let's do the math. This is also only for last year 2008. 11.5 million WOW users x $15 per month x 12 months = $2,070,000,000 + $402,500,000 (11.5 Million x $35 per retail game) Grand Total = They are filthy rich :laugh:
LINK:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft

Most online games are like this, once you got into it, it's hard to get out.

I did spent quite alot time for an online game (almost 2 years for it), and that was 2 years ago.
I'm really happy right now that I got out of that hell, wasted so much time for it.

I kinda sick of games that require me to spend hours for training, just to impresses other people.

Anyway, I think it's true that once you got into it, it will be addictive as cocaine.

Are you under the influence or above it? :D

http://www.abovetheinfluence.com

System Name JIM LAHEY
Processor CORE I9 9900K
Storage SAMSUNG EVO 1TB
Case THERMALTAKE VIEW 37
Benchmark Scores WUT
I fully understand your point but let's do the math. This is also only for last year 2008. 11.5 million WOW users x $15 per month x 12 months = $2,070,000,000 + $402,500,000 (11.5 Million x $35 per retail game) Grand Total = They are filthy rich :laugh:
LINK:

They are Filthy Rich, stealing all the Poor nerds who sweep floors around their parents house weekly just to pay that 15 a Month...:( :laugh:

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Mouse Logitech G604s
If your Refering to Me I dont judge everyone that plays it, only the Tards In my programming class :toast:

Wasnt necessarily referring to anyone on here. Just a general statement.

LINK:
Couldnt remember where you seen me last? :p

You never know the cost of all those servers plus they still gotta pay all those employees. :)

----------------
Now playing: Bullet for My Valentine - Tears Dont Fall
via FoxyTunes

System Name JIM LAHEY
Processor CORE I9 9900K
Storage SAMSUNG EVO 1TB
Case THERMALTAKE VIEW 37
Benchmark Scores WUT
Mouse Logitech G604s
Most online games are like this, once you got into it, it's hard to get out.

I did spent quite alot time for an online game (almost 2 years for it), and that was 2 years ago.
I'm really happy right now that I got out of that hell, wasted so much time for it.

I kinda sick of games that require me to spend hours for training, just to impresses other people.

Anyway, I think it's true that once you got into it, it will be addictive as cocaine.

Are you under the influence or above it? :D

http://www.abovetheinfluence.com

Personally, im neither. The game doesnt get the best of me. Never has and never will. WoW is/was never addicting to me. It was just something that kept me busy to help pass the day along just like any other game. Then again, im not like most people.

The only reason I started playing the game was because I was sick of mindlessly playing all the other games I have beaten so many times before. FPS was just getting boring. Now for me, gaming in general is getting boring.

Must be nice to work for Blizzard.

If i worked for blizzard, i doubt id be posting here. So dont even go that route.

System Name JIM LAHEY
Processor CORE I9 9900K
Storage SAMSUNG EVO 1TB
Case THERMALTAKE VIEW 37
Benchmark Scores WUT
Personally, im neither. The game doesnt get the best of me. Never has and never will. WoW is/was never addicting to me. It was just something that kept me busy to help pass the day along just like any other game. Then again, im not like most people.

The only reason I started playing the game was because I was sick of mindlessly playing all the other games I have beaten so many times before. FPS was just getting boring. Now for me, gaming in general is getting boring.

Yeah I could see your reasoning..Some people get Hardcore addicted to games like this, Ive heard of Guys Wives leaving them :roll:

System Name B450+2700x
Processor Ryzen 2700x
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk
Memory Ballistix Sport LT - BLS2K8G4D30BESBK
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1650 XC 4GB DDR5
Storage PNY SSD
Display(s) 2x LG 27" IPS
Case NZKT H510
Power Supply CORSAIR - RMx Series 850
Lets do the other math

PRICE PER gram OF COCAINE

Lets says $80(gram) X wiki says 16% use it(250Mil Adults in USA=4mil) X lets say 1 a month=

80x4Milx12=38400000000 ohhhh 38 BILLION DOLLARS!!!!:twitch::shadedshu

Mouse Logitech G604s
Yeah I could see your reasoning..Some people get Hardcore addicted to games like this, Ive heard of Guys Wives leaving them :roll:

Ive read that too and its pathetic.

Ive linked up with a friend that I went to school with towards the end of last year. She is now in the process of a divorce and her husband was like that with the game. When she wanted sex hed rather play the game. :shadedshu

And no, that is not why they are in the process of a divorce. :slap:

----------------
Now playing: Insane Clown Posse - Boogie Woogie Wu
via FoxyTunes

System Name JIM LAHEY
Processor CORE I9 9900K
Storage SAMSUNG EVO 1TB
Case THERMALTAKE VIEW 37
Benchmark Scores WUT
Ive read that too and its pathetic.

Ive linked up with a friend that I went to school with towards the end of last year. She is now in the process of a divorce and her husband was like that with the game. When she wanted sex hed rather play the game. :shadedshu

And no, that is not why they are in the process of a divorce. :slap:

----------------
Now playing: Insane Clown Posse - Boogie Woogie Wu
via FoxyTunes

WOW, that is sad. Hey lets have sex...NO IM TRYING TO LEVEL UP TO 98!! :shadedshu So sad.

System Name B450+2700x
Processor Ryzen 2700x
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk
Memory Ballistix Sport LT - BLS2K8G4D30BESBK
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1650 XC 4GB DDR5
Storage PNY SSD
Display(s) 2x LG 27" IPS
Case NZKT H510
Power Supply CORSAIR - RMx Series 850
WOW, that is sad. Hey lets have sex...NO IM TRYING TO LEVEL UP TO 98!! So sad.

Well its pretty tough to install a floppy disk.......

Mouse Logitech G604s
WOW, that is sad. Hey lets have sex...NO IM TRYING TO LEVEL UP TO 98!! :shadedshu So sad.

I will admit once the new expansion comes out it will go to lvl 90, but then they will have 10 more expansions after that. (one for every lvl to 100) :laugh:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
obviously cocaine has no effect on me. i didnt even last the 2 week trial before giving up WoW

when the wow people talk about skills, i challenge them to a game of supcom. i tell them that if them AND their buddies can beat me, i'll accept they are good gamers.

so far, i've won 4 7v1 matches against hordes of noobs.

System Name JIM LAHEY
Processor CORE I9 9900K
Storage SAMSUNG EVO 1TB
Case THERMALTAKE VIEW 37
Benchmark Scores WUT
Well its pretty tough to install a floppy disk.......
LOL
I will admit once the new expansion comes out it will go to lvl 90, but then they will have 10 more expansions after that. (one for every lvl to 100) :laugh:
HAHA I just guessed a random number....Didnt think it went that High :roll:
obviously cocaine has no effect on me. i didnt even last the 2 week trial before giving up WoW

Same here I never liked it.