• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

World of Warcraft Engine Updated to Support DX12, Adds 21:9 Cinematic Rendering

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Does better than reds Dx12, maybe that needs fixing?

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
The lesson is... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I'm pretty sure this was either done so Blizzard devs can get a little experience with DX12 or in preparation for something bigger. As low as DX12 adoption is, there will come a day where DX11 support will be dropped...

I'm pretty sure this was either done so Blizzard devs can get a little experience with DX12 or in preparation for something bigger. As low as DX12 adoption is, there will come a day where DX11 support will be dropped...

Probably

The new game version comes with Nvidia Aftermath imbedded

Nvidia said:
Aftermath is a compact, C++ library aimed at Microsoft Windows based developers, enabling post-mortem GPU crash analysis on NVIDIA GeForce based GPUs.

Upon installation in your game root directory you get (GFSDK_Aftermath_Lib.x64.dll)

Guess they are still debugging

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Probably

The new game version comes with Nvidia Aftermath imbedded

Upon installation in your game root directory you get (GFSDK_Aftermath_Lib.x64.dll)

Guess they are still debugging
So more software that wants to phone home?

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
So more software that wants to phone home?
It's the only reliable way to get meaningful stats if you want to prioritize your work. Hell, even free Linux software has built-in bug reporting these days. It doesn't submit anything automatically, but it's there.

Processor Intel i7 4960x Ivy-Bridge E @ 4.6 Ghz @ 1.42V
Motherboard x79 AsRock Extreme 11.0
Cooling EK Supremacy Copper Waterblock
Memory 65.5 GBs Corsair Platinum Kit @ 666.7Mhz
Video Card(s) PCIe 3.0 x16 -- Asus GTX Titan Maxwell
Storage Samsung 840 500GBs + OCZ Vertex 4 500GBs 2x 1TB Samsung 850
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZXR
Power Supply Corsair 1000W
Mouse Razer Naga
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Zbrush, 3Dmax, Maya, Softimage, Vue, Sony Vegas Pro, Acid, Soundforge, Adobe Aftereffects, Photoshop
Those are the screenshots I provide because they show a sense of scale that few other games have. Its a different style of game and for its 'lesser' graphics it offers some unique stuff in return. This has nothing to do with Ubisoft showing off Watch Dogs on an E3 with all sorts of advanced processing and effects in it, and then fails to put them in the game AND manages to release that game with abysmal performance.

Nobody contests it is an old engine and looks 'dated'. But what you get today is a huge step forward from what it used to be. Not many developers go to these lengths to improve an engine so fundamentally. And its not just the engine in a technical sense, which provides the performance leaps, but the addition and upgrades of particle effects and a pass for virtually ALL of the game's skills and spells, animations, etc etc etc.

And the stupid thing is, when you play this game (I've already quit again) it is actually much of the same vibe it always used to have. This game simply has soul and some extremely well crafted mechanics and the graphics + engine support that perfectly. Thát is why Blizzard games remain popular. They are like you say specific in their art direction and that goes much, much further than the # of polygons or texture res.

'Millions will buy it'... yes but not because of DX12. If you think that is a selling point for ANY game you've lost the plot. Your comment about looks and 'being so CPU taxing' also seems a bit weird. Graphics lean on GPU, and this game has more going on than GTA V at times to stress the CPU.

I'm pretty sure the CPU is still number-crunching the spell-effects of the player, the boss, and some low-level version of the surrounding players doing the same thing. GPU will render the image, but whatever low-seed, low level of detail, and position, that's still a cpu workload. Back in garrosh 25man, you'd get your own high level effects +24 other players on high level detail + the boss + the trash + a big ball of death with fire = 120 fps average drop to 32 fps on the most enthusiast setup and max stats. After Garrosh aka Warlords of Fails, Blizzard heard the cries of all the low-level computer setup-players, and made some changes. They made it where your fps wouldn't take a massive hit while 24 to 39 other players casting their CDs around you. The level of detail of other players' spell-effects in raids that wouldn't drop your FPS. I'm pretty sure D3D12 made life a little better for the those low-level computer setup-players to see better FPS with low-end GPUs while casting "pew-pews" with 39 other noobs. When this majority of the WoW subscription base is happy, they play WoW more, and pay their subscription for a longer duration of time because at the core, WoW is a business. This also means that if WoW is doing better, and they are drawing a bigger crowd, the majority of the base of players have low-end computer, and blizzards need to make changes to accommodate them in exchange for more $$$. This is probably why they implemented D3D12. If it means more players with crap-tastic computers will play and pay, Blizzard-Activation will implement. Investments FTW.

I'm pretty sure the CPU is still number-crunching the spell-effects of the player, the boss, and some low-level version of the surrounding players doing the same thing. GPU will render the image, but whatever low-seed, low level of detail, and position, that's still a cpu workload. Back in garrosh 25man, you'd get your own high level effects +24 other players on high level detail + the boss + the trash + a big ball of death with fire = 120 fps average drop to 32 fps on the most enthusiast setup and max stats. After Garrosh aka Warlords of Fails, Blizzard heard the cries of all the low-level computer setup-players, and made some changes. They made it where your fps wouldn't take a massive hit while 24 to 39 other players casting their CDs around you. The level of detail of other players' spell-effects in raids that wouldn't drop your FPS. I'm pretty sure D3D12 made life a little better for the those low-level computer setup-players to see better FPS with low-end GPUs while casting "pew-pews" with 39 other noobs. When this majority of the WoW subscription base is happy, they play WoW more, and pay their subscription for a longer duration of time because at the core, WoW is a business. This also means that if WoW is doing better, and they are drawing a bigger crowd, the majority of the base of players have low-end computer, and blizzards need to make changes to accommodate them in exchange for more $$$. This is probably why they implemented D3D12. If it means more players with crap-tastic computers will play and pay, Blizzard-Activation will implement. Investments FTW.

Doesn't make sense. If that was Blizzards intent then why get rid of DX9 ? Surely they would be able to keep people with far less powerful systems around.

DX12 is Win10 only so your talking about a higher or upgrading entry level player base. The recommended system for WoD is lower then the minimal for BfA so the whole listening to them doesnt pan out if they are now excluded and need an upgrade.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

The main reason the FPS completely tanks in large raids is not only due to high CPU load but in great part due to server load in a single instance. I doubt that will ever go away. For comparison: look at EVE Online: it has a time dilation feature where in large scale conflicts with lots of ships, the actual time is slowed down so everything happens in super slow-mo. This mechanic exists solely to keep the game playable and the server alive. D3D12 won't change any of that - its not netcode.

Implementing D3D12 for low-end systems also makes little sense. A low end system of today is already as fast or faster than a midrange system of 2013. so it can happily run the game regardless of API. Almost all CPUs are fast enough to run WoW at a decent framerate, and an IGP is enough to play it on Low settings.

Personally I think D3D12 implementation is there simply because this is Blizzard and this company keeps its live games up to date no matter what and there is a performance leap for ALL systems due to better uses of multi core and dividing draw calls. As is confirmed below.

It also mirrors my experience with ingame settings: when you put environment detail and view distance sliders beyond 7, FPS starts tanking especially in places with lots of foliage and assets.

1532183285406.png

Blizzard owns a few very valuable franchises and IP and takes very good care of it, extracting maximum profit and creating budget for projects such as these. Its a win-win scenario above all, because everything they develop can be used in a later or different iteration. Recent example: Activision knocking on the door to use the Blizzard launcher. Simply because its better and further ahead than anything Activision would come up with. You'd think a big company like Activision would want full control over its own game store and service instead of using the underdog in the cooperation. There is a big Blizzard logo staring at you before you start up Destiny or CoD. Not Activision-Blizzard. That says a lot.

I mean look at Starcraft 1, the recent remaster and making a version free to play. This company simply has the best stance on gaming and for gamers you can find in the industry, and one of the best track records at that too. There are countless of these win-win examples to produce. That mindshare and brand image is extremely valuable in itself.

Attachments

• 1532183415386.png
    1532183415386.png
    505.1 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
DX11 was bad when they implemented it back in Cataclysm and they fixed it properly in next patches and Pandaria, and dropped OpenGl along the way. Now they are starting with DX12 and dropped DX9, we can expect things will be sorted out between this expansion and the next one.

Doesn't make sense. If that was Blizzards intent then why get rid of DX9 ? Surely they would be able to keep people with far less powerful systems around.

DX12 is Win10 only so your talking about a higher or upgrading entry level player base. The recommended system for WoD is lower then the minimal for BfA so the whole listening to them doesnt pan out if they are now excluded and need an upgrade.
No one uses XP and few people use 7 or 8. Even intel's gpu can use DX11. Everyone has a DX11 compatible gpu in their computers, this isn't 2013. Everyone plays on the same field and the most basic 300€ laptop can run this game, why would they do anything for a dead api?

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
It doesn't look much different in the OP's screenshot, but it never really had to, I guess. Blizzard are great with just distinctive art styles (much like Nintendo) that their games never truly age.

System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
System Name Modest Box
Processor i5-4690K @ 4.7 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Z97-C
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G.Skill Ares DDR3-2400 16GB
Video Card(s) Colorful GTX 950
Storage OCZ Vertex 460A 480GB
Display(s) HP w2558hc
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Gigabyte 750W Gold
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer
Software Windows 10 64 Bit
All I know is it broke a butter-smooth SLI experience and I'm pissed. Add to the the "stat squish" that made my formerly god-like character feel as weak and undergeared as he did at the beginning of Warlords of Draenor four years ago and they've done their best to suck the fun out of the game. I don't think I'll buy Battle for Azeroth at this point.