• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Worth upgrading my i7 930 to an X5680?

System Name Alienware PC
Processor Intel 4790K
Motherboard ASROCK Z97 EXTREME4
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 32GB DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD 7770 2GB GDDR5
Storage SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2
Display(s) SAMSUNG UE57 Series 28-Inch 4K UHD
Case Alienware Area 51 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Realtek On Board
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt
Mouse Microsoft Wireless
Keyboard HyperX - Alloy Elite 2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard.
Software Windows 10 Pro & LTSB & LTSC Windows 11 Pro
It does, I've been looking at the X5680 on ebay. I guess sometimes we have to ponder, do we really need this, or, are we ok with what we have, for what we do. I really want to build a Ryzen rig, but if I decide to, I'll probably wait until winter, that's our slow season in Houston , not much heat needed here. I know you're limited with this board on some things, because of older technology, but the only thing I feel that I can justify doing for now is, maybe a better graphic's card, I have the AMD Radeon Power Color 7700 series, 1 gig GDDR5 and it seems to be working pretty good. Really, for the price I paid, I'm really good to go with this rig just as it is.

Processor Intel I9 7940X
Motherboard Asus Strix Rog Gaming E X299
Cooling Xigmatek LOKI SD963 double-Fan
Memory 64Gb DDR4 2666Mhz
Video Card(s) 1)RX 6700XT Power Color Fighter 12gb***2)MATROX M9120LP
Storage 2 x ssd-Kingston 240Gb A400 in RAID 0+ HDD 500Gb +Samsung 128gbSSD +SSD Kinston 480Gb
Display(s) BenQ 28"EL2870U(4K-HDR) / Acer 24"(1080P) / Eizo 2336W(1080p) / 2x Eizo 19"(1280x1024)
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) Realtek/Creative T20 Speakers
Power Supply F S P Hyper S 700W
Mouse Asus TUF-GAMING M3
Keyboard Func FUNC-KB-460/Mechanical Keyboard
VR HMD Oculus Rift DK2
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Fire Strike=23905,Cinebench R15=3189,Cinebench R20=3791.Passmark=30689,Geekbench4=32885
It does, I've been looking at the X5680 on ebay. I guess sometimes we have to ponder, do we really need this, or, are we ok with what we have, for what we do. I really want to build a Ryzen rig, but if I decide to, I'll probably wait until winter, that's our slow season in Houston , not much heat needed here. I know you're limited with this board on some things, because of older technology, but the only thing I feel that I can justify doing for now is, maybe a better graphic's card, I have the AMD Radeon Power Color 7700 series, 1 gig GDDR5 and it seems to be working pretty good. Really, for the price I paid, I'm really good to go with this rig just as it is.
Well if you are satisfied with the current performance and you do not need anything better/faster just enjoy it and don't change a thing.....but for only few bucks more some of those 6 core Xeon when they are properly OC can easily match in performance(more or less) Ryzen 1600(stocked).......

As far as the speculative execution patches - I seem to remember that at least the first rounds of exploits only afflicted features introduced in Sandy Bridge and later. Which obviously that's not helpful for westmere and earlier.

The "problem" with x58 is just finding decent (old) boards for reasonable price, at least here in the US. The processors are cheap now which is great but as the rest of the platform lingers out to being over 10 years old things like finding 12 matched sticks of DDR3 are getting a bit spendy vs. just slapping together a newer platform.

But if you already have the stuff, game on haha.

As a parting shot, here's a pic of the 8pin ATX power from one of my main gigabyte x58 rigs that's still going 24/7 on Rosetta - It kinda sums it up - these keep going well past when you'd thought they were dead for the nth time, but those years add up.

Attachments

• ATX12v10yrs.JPG
    ATX12v10yrs.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 165
System Name Alienware PC
Processor Intel 4790K
Mouse Microsoft Wireless
Thank you all for your feedback. Seems a lot of forums these days want to stereotype folks as all gamers, I'm not a gamer, all I looking to do is, just get the best performance from what I have. I guess any of us with good credit can just go buy a game machine, or any machine you want, but in my world, that takes all the fun and learning out of it. I did update my bios to the latest, this board made it pretty simple, so I guess I'm good to go for the Xeon's now.

Thank you all for your feedback. Seems a lot of forums these days want to stereotype folks as all gamers, I'm not a gamer, all I looking to do is, just get the best performance from what I have.
There is kinda an assumption that if you're worried about performance, it's generally for gaming. Since it's assumed that as long as you're running anything newer than a Pentium 4 / Athlon XP all your really need is to be running from a Solid State Drive, 4gigs RAM and a half modern video-card that can accellerate web video you'll get reasonable performance in day to day tasks.

One thing to watch out for when running some of the X series xeons is some have +2 turbo multipliers which some motherboards/bios's can be funky with. It's not a dealbreaker, but like with my gigabyte boards it will often set your multiplier +2 to what you actually set and you'll sit there confused why the machine won't post - when in reality it's trying to POST at like 5 Ghz or something.

It's not a big deal once you know that's what it's doing, but I hadn't seen it mentioned by others so maybe it was just a thing with my ud3r boards.

Processor Intel I9 7940X
Memory 64Gb DDR4 2666Mhz
Storage 2 x ssd-Kingston 240Gb A400 in RAID 0+ HDD 500Gb +Samsung 128gbSSD +SSD Kinston 480Gb
Display(s) BenQ 28"EL2870U(4K-HDR) / Acer 24"(1080P) / Eizo 2336W(1080p) / 2x Eizo 19"(1280x1024)
Case Lian Li
Mouse Asus TUF-GAMING M3
VR HMD Oculus Rift DK2
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Fire Strike=23905,Cinebench R15=3189,Cinebench R20=3791.Passmark=30689,Geekbench4=32885
Thank you all for your feedback. Seems a lot of forums these days want to stereotype folks as all gamers, I'm not a gamer, all I looking to do is, just get the best performance from what I have. I guess any of us with good credit can just go buy a game machine, or any machine you want, but in my world, that takes all the fun and learning out of it. I did update my bios to the latest, this board made it pretty simple, so I guess I'm good to go for the Xeon's now.
NP...My advice is to go for the some of the cheapest 6 core Xeons like:X5650,X5660,X5670,X5675......I personally owned before E5645(weakest 6 core) that I managed to OC to the 4,2Ghz those Xeons are basically the same except their multiplier and the base clock difference so those a bit more expensive(higher numbers)are easier to OC due to the higher/better multiplier and their base clock but sometimes even those with lower multiplier can hit great OC speeds....in short almost ALL of them should easily hit around 4Ghz......GL.....

Last edited:
System Name Alienware PC
Processor Intel 4790K
Mouse Microsoft Wireless
There is kinda an assumption that if you're worried about performance, it's generally for gaming.
I understand that, but in my personal experience just surfing the web, YouTube video's, etc. I can see some performance gains by upgrading processors, ram and video cards. Is it worth it to spend the money to add these upgraded parts to a PC? I don't know, other than if you decide to sell, you might get a few more bucks for your PC. I have never built a PC with the intentions of selling, just the satisfaction of the build, and trying to build one that has a board you can still upgrade component's to. I sure hope I'm not the only one that has these ideas when building a new PC, or buying a used PC.

@Mr Bill
Oh! Sorry if what I said came off as confrontational - I meant it as just a FYI kinda thing =D

I'm all about keeping old 'puters out in the field as long as possible. So many times people just trash old rigs when something as simple as imaging it over to an SSD gives those old machines new life!

Especially if an "old" system is something with as much promise as a 1366 rig. Just putting an SSD as boot drive is like... 90% there to a daily box. Maybe 5% if maybe the video card is just so old that you can't get modern drivers to accelerate web video - that honestly is a stretch. I'd actually have to look up what the cheapest Dell OEM 2010 PCIe vid card was? You'd have to get under Radeon 3000 series - honestly I dunno?

I do know one thing that has caught me off guard and we (???) as tweakers forget - so here at my workplace we have a few Dell Dimension T3500 rigs which are x58 with W3670? (whatever the i7-970 equiv xeon is) and they are still competent rigs but they poke a bit and then i forget... that's bone stock. No chipset overclock, 1066 mem speed - slowest SPD timings (CAS 12 @ 1066 wtf ??).

Reading up the thread where people had issues with the mitigations slowing their x58 rigs... also happened to be running stock BCK at 133. Maybe that makes a difference?

Anyway sorry for the ramble - just wanted to clarify that I wasn't trying to be a jerk about non-gaming use.

NP...My advice is to go for the some of the cheapest 6 core Xeons like:X5650,X5660,X5670,X5675......I personally owned before E5645(weakest 6 core) that I managed to OC to the 4,2Ghz those Xeons are basically the same except their multiplier and the base clock difference so those a bit more expensive(higher numbers)are easier to OC due to the higher/better multiplier and their base clock but sometimes even those with lower multiplier can hit great OC speeds....in short almost ALL of them should easily hit around 4Ghz......GL.....
Yea the 32nm 1366 procs - at least for the fully enabled 6/12 core ones - I've had like 6 I've personally gotten to play with, their official speed ratings don't mean anything. They're all fun, but the variation is crazy.

I guess tl;dr is don't get hung up on trying to get the absolute highest model number xeon.

The best clocking chip I've personally had was a mult locked W3670 - but that clock was ironically being able to run 3900 uncore. The W3690 I got later sucks in comparison, 3600 maybe but.... it has unlocked multiplier, so it's easier on my mobo to let me run 170'ish BCK. But it also hard walls at 4450 cpu clock ;/

Another W3670 I had was perhaps the leakest chip i've seen other than the original 930 I had. I could not cool that chip. AT ALL. Same stepping as the other W3670, wildly different behavior.

I guess that's my long way of saying, don't get obsessed with trying to get the top SKU in the hope for more clock headroom - my experience is it doesn't help AT ALL.

Mostly look for unlocked mult (I think that's W3680 and above, also ... actually I don't know what that is in the X series???? someone help?. Then there are the E and L series but I don't know enough on those)

Last edited:
System Name Alienware PC
Processor Intel 4790K
Mouse Microsoft Wireless
It runs a little warm under a load, but not bad at idle....Of course I don't know how accurate any of these tests are.

Capture 1.JPG
Capture 2.JPG

Just found this forum, very informative discussion on the x58 boards and the Xeon's. I just purchased the Asus P6T Deluxe V2 with 24 gig ram and the i7 920 all in an Alienware Area 51 case like this one for
$80.00. I bought this a couple weeks ago, and I'm really surprised at the performance of this rig. So for I've only OC it to 3.7 GHz, the temps seem to be fine around 50-55C, I'm not a gamer, just enjoy some forums and surfing the web. Never bought a desktop, I've always built my own, I have a i5 4 gen rig with 8 gigs ram, and I truly believe this i7 920 rig is faster. I'm an 69 year young geek, my Dad was always into CB Radios, I guess my thing is PC's, been in the A/C business since 1984. I just wanted to introduce myself, great to be here.

View attachment 167903
Given the motherboard that is in that system, I say update the BIOS to the newest version and install a Xeon X5675 or X5680. Each of those is a 6Core CPU that will give a very solid upgrade from the quad core you have in there now and each are solidly overclockable(bclk OC). Even for what you do, a 6core will give you more headroom to do heavier tasks should you need too. Each of the above suggestions are cheap($40ish) on ebay. The Xeon X5675 is an especially attractive CPU as it is a 95W TDP part and will run cooler.

And Welcome to TPU!

Found a few examples,
Also found a Xeon W3680, which has an unlocked multiplier,

Last edited:
The Xeon X5675 is an especially attractive CPU as it is a 95W TDP part and will run cooler.
I mean, I defer to LexLutherMiester as the LGA 1366 master, but the lower TDP parts - don't they get the lower wattage by more aggressive turbo mult tomfoolery?

Though that's only an issue I guess - am I like the only person who had screwiness on 1366 with a turbo mult higher than 1? If that's only a gigabyte thing then feel free to ignore this!

I wish it was more obvious on the lists on which models had unlocked multiplier - it's only really an issue if you get stuck with a lock proc that has a turbo mult under say 23 (200 x 23 = 4600) as some boards don't actually like running over 190 despite what the internet says, but unless you have the most godly proc ever most kinda need a LOT of tweaking over 4.2Ghz. So 23 mult may cap you at (190 x 23 = 4370) but realistically... I'll just say, I haven't seen a true 4.4Ghz stable over the 6 procs I own - BUT maybe I just have had bad luck. Or I'm... errr.. old school crumugin..

I get tired of reading old reports where yeay they run 4.6Ghz but "it only crashes when" ... like nope. FAIL. What's the point of having a 6 core, 12 thread proc if you can't really max it out w/o it crashing? I'm oldschool in that I want to be able to trust the machine to say, run a render or other CPU intensive task over a week and it not cr@p the bed. My overclock is that as a normal user you'd never know it was overclocked because it Just Works. But to each their own.

Aw man, that W3680 looks fun. As an owner of a W3690 that I paid too much for that ended up being a worse overclocker than the locked W3670 I had before... but ended up staying with the 90 because my motherboard/memory only seems to run up to about 1700 (memory mult of x10... wish there was a x9!!!!) yea...

I hope whatever you get Mr Bill, just remember to have fun with it! This platform is pretty nice in that it recovers really well (none of this crap where wrong setting - motherboard hates life). Honestly I doubt you'll see much difference from your 920 at 3.8 to a six core at 4.2 but it's just the idea that you can slap in this proc that was unobtanium money back in the day for peanuts now =D

Honestly while you wait, I'd be having some fun with that 920 D0 you have. If you haven't already, you can hash out what your memory/mobo is happy with etc. Though you've probably already done that hehe.

System Name Alienware PC
Processor Intel 4790K
Mouse Microsoft Wireless
Given the motherboard that is in that system, I say update the BIOS to the newest version and install a Xeon X5675 or X5680. Each of those is a 6Core CPU that will give a very solid upgrade from the quad core you have in there now and each are solidly overclockable(bclk OC). Even for what you do, a 6core will give you more headroom to do heavier tasks should you need too. Each of the above suggestions are cheap($40ish) on ebay. The Xeon X5675 is an especially attractive CPU as it is a 95W TDP part and will run cooler.

And Welcome to TPU!

Found a few examples,
Also found a Xeon W3680, which has an unlocked multiplier,

I'm guessing both the X5675 and X5680 are unlocked? You're a good shopper, I haven't been able to find either that cheap on eBay. Which would you prefer?

I mean, I defer to LexLutherMiester as the LGA 1366 master, but the lower TDP parts - don't they get the lower wattage by more aggressive turbo mult tomfoolery?
I'm not a master. A very experienced user, certainly. But there many folks here on TPU that have earned the title of experts in the area of the 1366 platform. The lower TDP just means that the silicon was binned better and can run at those speeds with lower power delivery and less waste heat. It also means that they OC better, as general rule.
Aw man, that W3680 looks fun.
It is. I have several and they are golden OC samples, kinda like the Pentium 166MMX of yesteryear. They bclk AND multiplier OC like crazy. For reference, @ 4.1ghz they perform within spitting distance of a Ryzen5-1600, which is impressive for a 9 year old CPU.
I'm guessing both the X5675 and X5680 are unlocked?
No, just the W3680 & W3690 are unlocked. With the X5600 series a bclk OC is your only option.
You're a good shopper, I haven't been able to find either that cheap on eBay.
TY. Been at it for 20+ years so I do know how to work the search options.
Which would you prefer?
That depends on what you want to do and foresee for your future needs. If you want both the multiplier and bclk OC capability, the W3680 is your best choice. If OCing is not something you care all that much about but still want to give yourself room to expand, the X5680 or X5675 is a great choice. The thing is, the W3680 and the X5680 are nearly identical in price, so the W3680 would afford you more OC options in future should you want them.

System Name Alienware PC
Processor Intel 4790K
Mouse Microsoft Wireless
The thing is, the W3680 and the X5680 are nearly identical in price, so the W3680 would afford you more OC options in future should you want them.
Ok thanks, this answers my question I asked on the wrong thread "So, is the W3680 just as good as the X5680? and will work on my Asus P6T Deluxe V2 board it's a 1366 platform".

System Name The beast and the little runt.
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X - Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570
Cooling Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4a - NH-D15 chromax.black with IPPC Industrial 3000 RPM 120/140 MM fans.
Memory G.SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL GOLD/SILVER 32 GB (2 x 16 GB and 4 x 8 GB) 3600 MHz CL14-15-15-35 1.45 volts
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 4060 OC LOW PROFILE - GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB + 2 TB - Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB - 2 x WD RED PRO 16 GB + WD ULTRASTAR 22 TB
Display(s) Asus 27" TUF VG27AQL1A and a Dell 24" for dual setup
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719/LUXE 2 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Onboard on both boards
Power Supply Phanteks Revolt X 1200W
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
Software WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BITS on both systems
Benchmark Scores Se more about my 2 in 1 system here: kortlink.dk/2ca4x
Sorry to tell you guys, but if everything goes well with my new job and then rtx 3000 and amd zen 3 comes out. I am officially moving on from X58.

X58 can just not provide the performance I need anymore . I'm running out of memory, some new games my old i7 980x struggles to handle at max settings. But it has been over 11 years of pure fun and enjoyment with X58. Had I7 920 at 4.2 ghz and 4.4 ghz for benchmark and my current i7 980x for 4.4 ghz daily use and 4.75 ghz for benchmark, been through 5 gpu setups with gtx 1080 TI as the strongest and newest, but is now sold so running a little gtx 1060 6 GB now. Getting nvme SSD to work as a os drive, so yeah I think I have cramp every last thing out of X58 and pushed it to the limit. The worst part is everything still works as it whas new, so it is still a fully functional pc, even after over 11 years. Just the psu has 11 years on it. But age has now caught up with X58, at least for my needs.

X58 I salute you, you have been one fine trouble free pc that has been relevant for way longer i had ever imagined. Don't worry X58 will not be thrown in the dumpster or collect dust in a corner. It will be used as a retro gamer to play games that do not work on windows 10, but only windows XP.

Sorry to tell you guys, but if everything goes well with my new job and then rtx 3000 and amd zen 3 comes out. I am officially moving on from X58.
That's to be expected. I'm aiming at an RTX 3080 and ThreadRipper(going for a TR4 model, not one of the new ones) or perhaps a Ryzen 4xxx for my main gaming/heavy workload PC. This system will continue on as my general use/internet system as it continues to be more than enough for most tasks I ask of it.

Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570
Cooling Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4a - NH-D15 chromax.black with IPPC Industrial 3000 RPM 120/140 MM fans.
Memory G.SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL GOLD/SILVER 32 GB (2 x 16 GB and 4 x 8 GB) 3600 MHz CL14-15-15-35 1.45 volts
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB + 2 TB - Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB - 2 x WD RED PRO 16 GB + WD ULTRASTAR 22 TB
That's to be expected. I'm aiming at an RTX 3080 and ThreadRipper(going for a TR4 model, not one of the new ones) or perhaps a Ryzen 4xxx for my main gaming/heavy workload PC. This system will continue on as my general use/internet system as it continues to be more than enough for most tasks I ask of it.

Yeah how great X58 ever is, not even X58 can run away from age.

I'm planning a rtx 3080/3080 TI and zen 3/ryzen 9 4950X setup as well. Threadripper is just pure overkill for my use. 16 cores/32 threads shut be sufficient.

Yeah how great X58 ever is, not even X58 can run away from age.
What I think is fricken amazing is how long lived the upper range of 1366 has been. Think about it, we are 9 YEARS later and it is only now just become too slow for the newest line of GPU's. I am of course going to test the 3080 in one of my 1366 systems just to see what will happen. Thing is, you know NVidia is going to bring the 3060 and lower tier cards and those might still be a viable option for the aging 1366, 1156, 2011 1150/1151 based systems.

Salute to X58! I still have 3 X58 boards, an Asrock X58 Extreme 1st revision, Gigabyte UD7 X58, and I'm currently using an EVGA Classified 141 E770 X58 for my main rig.. also have an i7 970, W3690, and an X5690. If my SATA ports didn't burn out on 2 of the boards (Asrock and the EVGA) I'd still use X58 for my main system. I managed to work around the burnt out ports with a pcie adapter and the onboard raid with the EVGA, 1 port on the native still works, thankfully :D

Once I upgrade the 3800X chip in my Auros Xtreme X570 board I'll build an AMD main system

What I think is fricken amazing is how long lived the upper range of 1366 has been. Think about it, we are 9 YEARS later and it is only now just become too slow for the newest line of GPU's. I am of course going to test the 3080 in one of my 1366 systems just to see what will happen. Thing is, you know NVidia is going to bring the 3060 and lower tier cards and those might still be a viable option for the aging 1366, 1156, 2011 1150/1151 based systems.

Actually, X58 is nearly 12 years old now. It came out in November 2008 with I7 920. 2010 gave us the second gen of X58, the 6 core i7 and xeon's. I got an I7 920 in May 2009. Almost 11 and a half years ago.

Yeah X58 has been such a great and stable platform for not to mention relevant for a very long time. I will not recommend to pair X58 with anything more powerful than a gtx 1080 TI based on my own experience. Gtx 1080 TI is really the limit and this gpu still requires a highly over clocked cpu with 6 cores and at least 4.4 ghz all core oc is needed.

I will not recommend to pair X58 with anything more powerful than a gtx 1080 TI based on my own experience. Gtx 1080 TI is really the limit and this gpu still requires a highly over clocked cpu with 6 cores and at least 4.4 ghz all core oc is needed.
Not really. I currently have an EVGA 2080 paired with a W3680 in a Dell T3500. The CPU only bottlenecks the 2080 in certain games. That system previously had an X5680 in it, so no OCing with Throttlestop and it still ran fine.

Salute to X58! I still have 3 X58 boards, an Asrock X58 Extreme 1st revision, Gigabyte UD7 X58, and I'm currently using an EVGA Classified 141 E770 X58 for my main rig.. also have an i7 970, W3690, and an X5690. If my SATA ports didn't burn out on 2 of the boards (Asrock and the EVGA) I'd still use X58 for my main system. I managed to work around the burnt out ports with a pcie adapter and the onboard raid with the EVGA, 1 port on the native still works, thankfully :D

Once I upgrade the 3800X chip in my Auros Xtreme X570 board I'll build an AMD main system

X58 has been really good to us and the motherboards has been strong and stable. At least the two asus boards i have had. My current second gen X58 board is 10 years old and everything stil works flawless. In fact motherboard and cpu works just as good as it whas new. It just it's age can be felt now. But button line is, if I throw my X58 out in the dumpster. I would throw a perfectly working system out.

Not really. I currently have an EVGA 2080 paired with a W3680 in a Dell T3500. The CPU only bottlenecks the 2080 in certain games. That system previously had an X5680 in it, so no OCing with Throttlestop and it still ran fine.

It's a mixed bag for me as well. Some games I had bottleneck while other games with all eyes candy cut max the gpu out even in 1080P resolution. But pairing a rtx 3080 or 3090 with X58 i can't recommend.

Processor Intel I9 7940X
Memory 64Gb DDR4 2666Mhz
Case Lian Li
Mouse Asus TUF-GAMING M3
VR HMD Oculus Rift DK2
Software Win 11
X58 has been really good to us and the motherboards has been strong and stable. At least the two asus boards i have had. My current second gen X58 board is 10 years old and everything stil works flawless.
Some of those X58 motherboards are amongst the best that I saw when it comes to the VRM and overall quality........

Some of those X58 motherboards are amongst the best that I saw when it comes to the VRM and overall quality........

I Will not denie that and the boards I have had is bofh top tier boards for its time. Asus Rampage 2 extreme and ASUS P6X58D Premium. This just shows that if you are amongst those who keep hardware for a long time, buying good quality parts will payoff in the long run.

But pairing a rtx 3080 or 3090 with X58 i can't recommend.
Oh neither can I. When I said earlier that I was going to test it, that was just for giggles to see what the results would be. I am fully expecting my W3680 to bottleneck a 3080. The question is, by how much..

Agreed. That was a time when ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI pulled out all the stops where quality was concerned.