• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Would you opt-in to allow for CPU mining while visiting the forums for them to remain ad free?

Would you opt-in to allow for CPU mining while visiting the forums for them to remain ad free?

• Yes

Votes: 742 11.9%
  • No

Votes: 4,571 73.1%
  • I don't visit the forums anyway

Votes: 725 11.6%
  • Use it everywhere on TPU

Votes: 217 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
I dont agree with crypto mining.....i think its bollocks.

no, i have no idea what opt-in means which is why i voted no when i replied to the question which is.........." Would you opt-in to allow for CPU mining while visiting the forums for them to remain ad free
"Opt in" to me in this sentence means that I can choose to let and allow TPU to mine on my PC WHILE VISITING THE FORUM.

When I voted I did not see that sentence "Would you opt-in to allow for CPU mining while visiting the forums for them to remain ad free" what I saw was W1zzard's first sentence of THIS THREAD
We are curious about your thoughts on the subject, whether it would be a workable alternative to traditional advertising.
and then straight to the vote casting.....my techie mind just blacked out and blanked out the REAL question above the vote selection.

What I needed is a "SOMETIMES" vote choice and there was none so I voted "NO".

TPU is on my AdBlock whitelist since ads are not intruisive. If one day you'll decide to start mining on our PC's I'm blocking it straight away.

I do not support energy waste called "mining" in any kind of form.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I dont agree with crypto mining.....i think its bollocks.

Ah, I see. So you're one of those people that if you don't believe something, then it is a shitty thing if anyone else considers it. I'd love to hear your stance on religion and politics.:rolleyes:

no, i have no idea what opt-in means which is why i voted no when i replied to the question which is.........." Would you opt-in to allow for CPU mining while visiting the forums for them to remain ad free

Well there's your problem. Go look up what opt-in means, and all your problems will be solved.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
Believe in what exactly? I said i dont agree with it and i think i am entitled to an opinion.

Sarcasm obviously doesnt translate across the pond. I shall try to be ironic next time............:toast:

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Well, it seems that most people think that any site on the web should be free but that's never been the case. The servers must be maintained, the electricity bill must be paid, hardware for reviews needs to be paid for sometimes and there is the costs of people's time to keep things running smoothly and provide reviews and the news editor's time to be paid for somehow.

If the ads aren't footing the bills then I would fully support a PayPal account to donate to for this site but I think it should be done anonymously with no special perks for contributors. This site is worth $50 a year for the GPU reviews and the quality of the people in the forums here and their knowledge and experience to me.

Totally illegal, imho.
I am wondering what's going on.... Share TPU financial results or share how TPU works?
I thought forums were a hobby for enthusiasts. Some shops or hardware makers have forums and some are just as good.
So offer something cool like coupons for hardware or games, or a membership. Maybe I am too traditional, but this whole add-based, now tracking and mining, internet is disgusting to my taste.
SO, what is the business model of this website? Just openly telling you my questions :)

BTW, apart from über-intrusive, this is so anti-ecological. The whole world grid of routers and pcs would be running all time?!?!?!?!?!!? Sucking electricity and warming the plantet? Are we totally crazy?

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I thought forums were a hobby for enthusiasts. Some shops or hardware makers have forums and some are just as good.
A long time ago. Forums are businesses now.

Give users a choice somehow between both, mining and ads. Some may not want their systems running at 100%, but are willing to look at some ads. Someone else hates ads and would prefer CPU load instead...

Totally illegal, imho.
I am wondering what's going on.... Share TPU financial results or share how TPU works?
So offer something cool like coupons for hardware or games, or a membership. Maybe I am too traditional, but this whole add-based, now tracking and mining, internet is disgusting to my taste.
SO, what is the business model of this website? Just openly telling you my questions :)

BTW, apart from über-intrusive, this is so anti-ecological. The whole world grid of routers and pcs would be running all time?!?!?!?!?!!? Sucking electricity and warming the plantet? Are we totally crazy?

I'm asking the same question since this mining craze started. Everyone bitching about global warming, but having billions of systems running at full load 24/7, totes fine!

Crypto-currencies mining using CPU and JavaScript is as "efficient" as using a hammer to crack nuts.

Please don't even think about implementing this.

Add more ads if you like. Make forums unusable when people are using AdBlock - that may bring a lot of flak but people who genuinely use these forums will stay nonetheless.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I think its a shitty thing to do
Im technically ok with it on a pc and just web news content but not on mobiles or forums.
I see that content needs paying for so im ok with that but imho doing it on mobiles is dangerous and stupid ,they aren't made for the strain at all and the detriment to battery life/ phone longevity is not acceptable to me.

All the mining haters need to consider every single industry consumes energy to survive , your jobs entail the use of energy, get over it.

Totally illegal, imho.
With informed consent it's perfectly lawful. Doing it behind a users back, then yes it is blatantly unlawful.
Maybe I am too traditional, but this whole ad-based, now tracking and mining, internet is disgusting to my taste.
With you on that one.
BTW, apart from über-intrusive, this is so anti-ecological. The whole world grid of routers and pcs would be running all time?!?!?!?!?!!? Sucking electricity and warming the planet? Are we totally crazy?
That's actually not bad point. It would be interesting to see those statistics and the effect they're having.
Crypto-currencies mining using CPU and JavaScript is as "efficient" as using a hammer to crack nuts.
True, very inefficient.
Make forums unusable when people are using AdBlock - that may bring a lot of flak but people who genuinely use these forums will stay nonetheless.
You went from making an excellent point to making one that is beyond nonsense. This is a the worst idea suggested so far. Besides, TPU doesn't need to employ such methods. They have been using methods for showing ads that can't be blocked for what, a year now? I use ad-blockers religiously. TPU's well crafted ads always show anyway. And the problem, which has been discussed in another thread, isn't the ads themselves. It's the invasive nature of what they have become across the internet. They have become a threat to the digital safety and security of users, which can and has translated into real world effects. TPU's solution is wonderfully admirable as it opens the door of opportunity for revenue while simultaneously respecting and protecting it's users from potential digital hazards that are introduced by typical ad networks. And I am far from alone in this sentiment.

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Give users a choice somehow between both, mining and ads. Some may not want their systems running at 100%, but are willing to look at some ads. Someone else hates ads and would prefer CPU load instead...

Don't assume it will load the CPU to 100%. Coinhive allows the website to decide how much CPU they will use, most don't use 100% because the drag on the system would be too noticeable. A more reasonable figure would be 25% or 50%. That why on a 4 threaded CPU, 1 or 2 threads would be fully loaded respectively. On an 8-threaded CPU it would be 2 or 4.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Especially with how crypto fluctuate in value.

That really has nothing to do with it.

The issue here is I don't want my browser bogging down horribly from a miner, even on a single process, and I know how little they make and how much they bog you down.

No. Just plain no.

I would rather donate $5 give me your paypal I will do it now.

This. Set up ads and have an ad-free option. I'd subscribe.

Totally illegal, imho.

Unethical? Maybe. Certainly not illegal.

Last edited:
System Name The Yellow Box
Processor AMD K5 100
Motherboard Intel 5DVX0130
Cooling A snazzy stock cooler
Memory 64MB EDO SIMM
Video Card(s) ATI Mach 64 4MB + Creative Voodoo 8MB
Storage IBM 1.6GB IDE + IBM 3.2GB IDE
Display(s) 15" AOC CRT (Terrible, terrible POS)
Case Cheapo Yellow Box
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster
Power Supply No name 200W
Mouse Microsoft IntelliMouse
Keyboard Cherry G80
Software Windows 98Se
That really has nothing to do with it.
I was trying to make a point, that they would be basing their income on something that has tremendous drops in value.
So, in case the market crashes again, their “alternative to adds” revenue also drops significantly.

I’ve seen plenty of sites that tried switching to alternative incomes from adds, and fail miserably.
Consequently, all the promises and other BS they made with it go through the window.
Usually it results in the site having both the adds AND the alternative at the same time.

I do apologise, if I sometimes don’t make all that much sense.
English isn’t my native language, or even second language.
That, and I’m somewhat off an eccentric. :oops:

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Given the choice, I would prefer AMD advertorials.

Agreed, dump the game benchmarks as they kinda suck anway and focus on the mining performance... win win.

System Name Project Neverending
Processor i9 9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus Formula XI
Cooling Corsair HX 150i Pro, Corsair ML 120/QL 120 fans
Memory 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 2080Ti
Storage Samsung 970 Evo NVMe, 2 Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 (3440X1440), Samsung U28D590 (3840X2160)
Case Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX X-Fi, Logitech 5.1 speaker system
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000i
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Updates coming soon ®
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
I was trying to make a point, that they would be basing their income on something that has tremendous drops in value.

Most of these revenue models don't hold though. They cash out immediately.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
im ok with that but not for free
i mean TPU got benefit from any visitors or the member
what we expect from TPU? maybe more contest or give away or something like that to thank for using a few percent of your pc

if you add this how much it would affect the web, how much the data that consumed?, how long it takes?
if you login 2 or 3 or more so you mining based on how many you log in or what?
there so many questions

btw i recall one of local e-commerce expand their line, before they expand their web was pretty reliable but now it is getting slow and left by its visitors
i dont want TPU to be like that, you add here and there until a point where you ruined all

Last edited:
Processor FX 8320 @4.2 | i7 2600 @3.8 | Xeon W3670 @ 3.6
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth R2.0 | Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe | Gigabyte X58-UD7
Cooling Zalman Performa 10+ | Zalman Performa 11+ | Zalman Performa 10+
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 32GB @ 1866 | Corsair Vengeance 32GB @1866 | Samsung 24GB @ 1600
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon 390x | Zotac GTX 1070 AMP Extreme | Zotac GTX 980 AMP Extreme
Storage Intel SSD / SAS 15k Fujitsu | Intel SSD / Velociraptors / Hitachi 2TB | Intel SSD / Samsung 1TB
Display(s) Samsung 245T | HP ZR30w | IBM 20" 4x3
Case Chieftec | Corsair Graphite 600T | Thermaltake Xaser IV
Audio Device(s) SB Titanium HD | SB Titanium HD | SB X-fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Thermaltake 875W | Corsair 850W | Thermaltake 1500W
Mouse Logitech | Logitech | Logitech
Keyboard Mitsumi Classic | Microsoft |Microsoft
Software W7 x64 | W7 x64 |W7 x64 / XP x32
There is an infinite difference between making money and covering your costs and I don't assume it is anything more than cost covering, just because the site has not previously advertised (en mass) does not necessarily mean there is any money in the account.
So for years it was not necessary to put ads on forum, and now mining here is needed to "cover cost", something wrong...
I don't mind seeing ads, since most of us having like 5-10 Mb/s unlimited connection or above, and ads on this site not taking 80% of page or annoying.

Don't assume it will load the CPU to 100%. Coinhive allows the website to decide how much CPU they will use, most don't use 100% because the drag on the system would be too noticeable. A more reasonable figure would be 25% or 50%. That why on a 4 threaded CPU, 1 or 2 threads would be fully loaded respectively. On an 8-threaded CPU it would be 2 or 4.

I'd have to test it first. I would potentially dedicate 1 thread from 12 to "mine" things and show support. Considering I hang on TPU a lot, that would be a lot already. Not so sure I'd be willing to dedicate more.

System Name Chachamaru-IV | Retro Battlestation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Intel Pentium II 450MHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming | MSI MS-6116 (Intel 440BX chipset)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory 32GB Corsair DDR4-3000 (16-20-20-38) | 512MB PC133 SDRAM
Video Card(s) nVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 FE | 3dfx Voodoo3 3000
Storage 1TB WD_Black SN850 NVME SSD (OS), Toshiba 3TB (Storage), Toshiba 3TB (Steam)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 27" @ 1440p144 & Dell P2312H @ 1080p60
Case SilverStone Seta A1 | Beige box
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Speakers), Creative Zen Hybrid headset | Sound Blaster AWE64
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2 | 250W ASETEC
Mouse Roccat Kone Air| Microsoft Serial Mouse v2.0A
Keyboard Vortex Race3 | Dell AT102W
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro | Microsoft Windows 98SE
I'd have to test it first. I would potentially dedicate 1 thread from 12 to "mine" things and show support. Considering I hang on TPU a lot, that would be a lot already. Not so sure I'd be willing to dedicate more.
But would you be willing to dedicate 1 thread from 4?
I'm sure even those here who have high-end CPUs, sometimes read the forum from something weaker: a cheaper desktop or a laptop/tablet.

So my question, assuming the opt-in variant (which I noticed, btw), is: will this be user-based or client-based? Because if it will only look at my login, then it's a no.
And if I would be welcomed with a huge dialogue window every time I open the forum saying "what's it going to be today: ads or mining?", then it's still a no.
And if each time I login to a different PC I'll have to go into settings and change this, it's also a no.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
Maybe? Consider me spilt on voting yes or no.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M-S2H
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu Mark II
Memory 2 x 16GB SK Hynix OEM DDR4-3200 @ 3666 18-20-18-36
Video Card(s) Colorful RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB
Storage 250GB WD BLACK SN750 M.2 + 4TB WD Red Plus + 4TB WD Purple
Display(s) AOpen 27HC5R 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case COUGAR MX440 Mesh RGB
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium HD + Kurtzweil KS-40A bookshelf
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Cougar Attack2 Cherry MX Black
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H1 x64
I dont even mine, and I despise mining and miners. They ruin GPU market pricing and I really, REALLY dont want to be any part of it.

I dont even mine, and I despise mining and miners. They ruin GPU market pricing and I really, REALLY dont want to be any part of it.
I assume this would be CPU mining, not GPU. At least that's how current implementations work.