• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WoW FPS problem

Arrius

This is the real reason I created an account here, I want some expert opinion on an issue and I will go buy some parts after some advice.
I have a desktop with i5-2500K
MSI Radeon 6870 Twin Frozr III
8 GB Twin Ram
250 GB Samsung 750 SSD
Gigabyte D3-B3 MB
I can't remember all the details about all the parts but this setup used to run perfectly on the previous expansions but at the end of the Legion my pc started to stutter and never recovered.
I formatted and reinstalled everything a few times, updated the drivers and no chance.
It only got worse and now I had to drop everything to the lowest settings (I used to play with medium or higher a few months ago).
It is a total nightmare right now, I suspect it is the graphics card because it was giving me the signals of breaking down but nothing is broken right now and I bought the SSD recently to play faster.
Can anyone help me figure out why it is stuttering or the FPS drops to 10 if i use my old settings which worked perfectly fine for the last 6 years?

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
1GB VRAM is gonna hurt you pretty bad to be fair. If you're looking for minimal spend you're gonna need a GPU that has a bit more IPC but more importantly, enough VRAM to load textures from after 2004.

Blizzard do do minor upgrades to their engine, very often using new ways to do shading, etc. Your GPU is old as hell and probably can't process a lot of the newer technologies. I know my old gaming laptop can't run a lot of games because of updated shaders.

Your CPU is OK and your RAM is acceptable. What I suspect is happening is your GPU VRAM is being filled, and then spilling over into RAM which is significantly slower, hence the stuttering.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Yep, they updated the engine for Azeroth. Look for a used GPU.

Arrius

I thought so, they are so expensive in this part of the world I am in right now.
I will look for a used GPU like Frick said, thanks a lot for the advice guys, much appreciated.

Arrius

I just bought an MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti GAMING 4G and it arrives tomorrow. I am really hopeful that it will solve all my problems. I will post updates about my FPS and other issues, thanks again for the advice.

Arrius

Updates: Well I was up to 100 FPS and back to normal levels ( graphics settings at 7 ) but today for no reason the computer started stuttering again. It doesn't do it only on WoW though, it does it on everything and the overall performance dropped like 90%.
Microsoft installed a dumb update and it happened after that I think but I still see no reason for a ridiculous FPS and performance drop.
I had everything working at high speeds and FPS and now stuttering is back with a vengeance.
Now I have overall performance dropped to shit and I can't even open a Chrome window without a stutter and visual lag.
Can anyone help me figure out what it is?

sodaxd

Try and download InSpectre and disable HPET it helped me remove stutters in all games.

Last edited: