• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

wrong bios programmed on my card what now?

System Name pc
Processor amd fx-4300
Motherboard asrock 970 extreme4
Cooling basic
Memory ddr3 8gb
Video Card(s) rx 470 sapphire nitro+ 4gb
Storage 120gb ssd
Power Supply evga 750 b2
Software win 10
Hi ppl so I was mining ethereum on my nitro+ rx470 4gb so i changed bios so it could hash more , Im finished with mining so I want to seel the card so I wanted to change bios back , so I got here checked it , downloaded it , programmed it and then when I restarted PC it wont start.... then I put back different card and checked differences between bios I had before on that card and bios that I installed on it and there are differences in max power limit.... now when I got that wrong bios on that card and cannot start PC with that card , what can I do please ? how can I reset that bios or install good one on that card ? thanks...

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
I believe most people here would tell you that you should have made back-up of the default bios if you are changing bios to different ones.
I may not be able to assist you further but i believe you're going need find a near identical bios that are used for the sapphire nitro+ RX470 and hope it works.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
Search bios database

Search bricked gpu,etc there are tons of recovery threads. Youll want a 2nd gpu

System Name pc
Processor amd fx-4300
Cooling basic
Memory ddr3 8gb
Storage 120gb ssd
Power Supply evga 750 b2
Software win 10
but my problem is not that I lost that old good bios , my problem is that my PC dont start with this bad bios installed on gpu , so how can I now install back that old bios , I have him saved

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
, I have him saved

if im understanding you correctly, you have the original Bios now, so you will need to follow Bios Recovery process using 2nd GPU.

maybe there is something here

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/amd-ati-flashing-guide.212849/

guide from @Solaris17
1.) let's reset your CMOS so we are on a clean slate by removing the battery on your board. This will allow us to make sure we are attempting flashes using the cardinal rule "DO NOT FLASH OVERCLOCKED"

2.) Do you have a bios switch on your GPU? If you do shut down your system now switch it to another position and attempt to boot your rig.

2b.) Let's restart the PC if all is well you are now booting off of the second bios on your GPU.

With your GPU working in the other bios switch position boot to your flash drive until you are at the root prompt and cursor. At this point it is assumed you have NOT ran any commands.

With your side panel off take this time to switch your bios switch to the opposite position (corrupted) with the system running. Make sure it is in the position it was on when it was corrupted.
To get the adapter number since using a secondary VGA card will change the previous command parameter you are familiar with.
With any luck you will have managed to fix your issue now. I will change and expand on this guide as time leisure and changes worth noting warrant it. If you have any questions additions or pictures of kittens please leave them below.
Now lets follow the flashing guide making sure at this point and time you FLASH BACK THE ORIGINAL, BACKUP, or CLOSEST COMPATIBLE BIOS!!

3.) If you do not have a BIOS switch remove the Affected GPU and boot using onboard video and in your BIOS set onboard Video as the default VGA adapter. In some cases with some motherboards it will be necessary to ENABLE the onboard GPU FIRST and THEN make it the default VGA adapter!

3b.) Shut down your system and re-insert the damaged GPU.

Start the system using onboard VGA and again using the flash guide above re-attempt to flash your GPU please take note to use

atiflash -i

To get the adapter number since using onboard VGA will change the previous command parameter you are familiar with.

4.) If you do not have onboard VGA please reproduce step 3.) using any spare VGA card compatible with your system. Boot using the compatible VGA card and set it as default.

4b.) Shut down your system and re-insert the damaged GPU.

Start the system using secondary VGA and again using the flash guide above re-attempt to flash your GPU please take note to use

atiflash -i

To get the adapter number since using a secondary VGA card will change the previous command parameter you are familiar with.
With any luck you will have managed to fix your issue now. I will change and expand on this guide as time leisure and changes worth noting warrant it. If you have any questions additions or pictures of kittens please leave them below.

System Name pc
Processor amd fx-4300
Cooling basic
Memory ddr3 8gb
Storage 120gb ssd
Power Supply evga 750 b2
Software win 10
well it is asrock 970 extreme4 , amd fx 4300 , 8gb DDR3 , and graphic card is sapphire nitro+ rx 470 4gb , it has that little switch on it , when I changed position on that switch it started loading windows and after loading it crashed and black screen and thats all , when I had switch on first position where I had it when I flashed bios to wrong one , then PC wouldnt start at all... just black screen... motherboard got more pcie slots , im running on different card right now , but I dont know how am I gonna change that bios when I cannot boot on that gpu..

System Name pc
Processor amd fx-4300
Cooling basic
Memory ddr3 8gb
Storage 120gb ssd
Power Supply evga 750 b2
Software win 10
but I dont have vga adapter on my motherboard , not even pci slot.... only 3 pcie slots thats all

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
Use a second Gpu in the first slot(a good working GPU) it can also be intigrated into the CPU.
Someone posted a link above, they also mentioned using a second gpu with a how to link.....

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
only 3 pcie slots

are you kidding? or is this being lost in language barriers?(if so, then id suggest trying google translateon the list above, or reading it several times, im sorry that i cant help with that part) the PCIe slot is what you need, thats where you plug the GPU into. follow the step by step guide, that is your solution. VGA= Video Graphics array, or adapter in this case, AKA GPU, Aka, Video Card.

The 2nd gpu acts as a way to boot into OS since you're not able to do so with the damaged GPU. I don't know what your system specs are but if you have onboard graphics enable them in your bios and then reset your PC or do it after a reset depending on what your motherboard requires that will allow you to boot into your operating system then follow the steps after number three in the list above.( note that if you do not have built-in graphics on your CPU this is where you will use a second GPU )

i hope this helps......Best of luck, i have 35minutes to get dressed, and be on a transport to Kessel.......another day covered in Spice, :( (atleast im working in the Refinery ;) )

Last edited:
System Name pc
Processor amd fx-4300
Cooling basic
Memory ddr3 8gb
Storage 120gb ssd
Power Supply evga 750 b2
Software win 10
yep Im running now with working vga in main pcie and that bricked vga in another slot normally , now I need to go flash

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
yep Im running now with working vga in main pcie and that bricked vga in another slot normally , now I need to go flash

I hope it works out for you....please post here With results

Last edited: