• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X-Fi Support Syndicate & Owner's Clubhouse

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
Wow, glad to find this forum club. Having issues with my Vista install and X-Fi and hoping you all can help.

Here's what I've got:
Intel X6800, BFG 680i mobo, 2 BFG 8800GTX in SLI, X-Fi Fatality (original Fatality issue w/IO panel & remote), 2gb of Corsair PC9136, Vista Ultimate OS, Logitech Z5500 surround 5.1 setup

So, from the day I installed Vista, and the Creative supplied X-Fi/Vista compatible drivers, my speaker/channel assignments were all screwed up. I went into the THX console and through extensive finaggling, got the assignments to work OK. It's been about three weeks now, and suddenly, after booting up my PC one morning, the assignments in Game mode are all screwed up again. So, back to the THX console I went. This time, however, There is no
sound channel for the front right speaker. I can, however get sound to come out of thefront right speaker if I assign a different channel to it, just not the correct front right channel. So, I completely removed the drivers and all bundled software and reinstalled... same problem. I checked, of course all cables and Z5500 equipment through ancillary means and all check out fine. It's been three days of frustration and irritation. I'm considering going back to XP and sacrifice DX10. Any ideas or possible solutions?

Thanks,
Preacher

By any chance have you tried installing the ALchemy drivers along with the Vista drivers? http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/download.asp?DriverLang=1033&searchString=ALXF_PCVTAPP_LB_1_00_30.exe&x=22&y=22&details=1

And, to be sure, you also have your speaker selection in the audio console set to 5.1, correct?

I've heard that in these instances, sometimes swaping the jacks around on the back of the card works, too - to the best of my understanding, this is a common Vista problem, and it resolves around how Vista interacts with the architecture of the card, which is why you lose channels, or they get swapped around.

Curious, did you ever have any issues in XP while also running the 2x 8800 in either single or SLI setup?

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
I guess it has more to do with his speaker polarity. Both the card and his speaker set are THX compliant, he should fiddle with different speaker polarity settings in the THX console. ALchemy only pertains to DirectSound applications that do multichannel. Those apps that do wave_out or OpenAL instead of DirectSound aren't affected.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Come to think of it, also - all settings in the Creative/THX console will change whenever going from one mode to the next, and each mode utilizes the card's hardware differently - and that directly affects output to each individual channel . . .

@preacher35 - does the loss of audio from your speakers only happen when in one audio mode, or all 3?

P

Preacher35

Imperialreign, thanks for replying. The channel assignments stay static regardless of application/task. But, let's cover our bases.

-Yes, I definately have the Creative Console speaker set up set to 5.1
-No, I do not have the Alchemy software installed, but for the last 3 weeks, it hasn't been an issue. But, I think that btarunr is correct, in that Alchemy is only utilized in Directsound applications.
-No, I did not have these issues w/XP however, I did not have the dual 8800GTX cards w/XP either as, of course, I wanted to utilize DX10. I have read other posts that the proximity of the 8800GTX to the PCI slot containing the X-Fi can be an issue, but I thought that was more related to the "crackling and popping" sounds.

What's interesting is that a few days ago, when I lost my front right channel, it was only in Game mode. Entertainment mode had all channel assignments correct and present. After I reinstalled the Creative drivers, the Entertainment mode was missing the center channel. Go figure. I used to be an "onboard" sound guy, but have been spoiled by the X-Fi card. Am I really in the position of having to choose DX10 or X-Fi? This sucks.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Make sure you have these values in the THX setup console, keep changing the speaker polarity setting (in the "Speaker Selection" tab) till you get all your speakers working.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Imperialreign, thanks for replying. The channel assignments stay static regardless of application/task. But, let's cover our bases.

-Yes, I definately have the Creative Console speaker set up set to 5.1
-No, I do not have the Alchemy software installed, but for the last 3 weeks, it hasn't been an issue. But, I think that btarunr is correct, in that Alchemy is only utilized in Directsound applications.
-No, I did not have these issues w/XP however, I did not have the dual 8800GTX cards w/XP either as, of course, I wanted to utilize DX10. I have read other posts that the proximity of the 8800GTX to the PCI slot containing the X-Fi can be an issue, but I thought that was more related to the "crackling and popping" sounds.

What's interesting is that a few days ago, when I lost my front right channel, it was only in Game mode. Entertainment mode had all channel assignments correct and present. After I reinstalled the Creative drivers, the Entertainment mode was missing the center channel. Go figure. I used to be an "onboard" sound guy, but have been spoiled by the X-Fi card. Am I really in the position of having to choose DX10 or X-Fi? This sucks.

I was wondering on the ALchemy thing, as I thought it was only happening in game mode, but, anyhow . . . you don't leave EAX effects on in every mode, do you? btarunr is right about the ALchemy drivers with DirectSound, but, IIRC, it also affects any usage of audio hardware acceleration beyond just DirectSound applications.

I'd try checking over the polarity settings in the THX console if you can, as btarunr recommended (I hadn't realized from your first post). Another thought, too, open up the audio & sound control panel in WIN, and make sure that volume settings for seperate channels are up, too. I've had a couple of time where WIN for some unknown reason, drops volume of one channel to 0%-5%, and I always overlook checking it first :laugh:

TBH, what you're describing doesn't sound to me to be any type of EMI issue from the card being too close to the 8800s - I was looking more along the lines of two powerful GPUs combined with an nForce motherboard. Not everyone has had problems with nVidia hardware, though, and your issue doesn't really sound like the usual complaint with nVidia hardware - so no worries, there.

P

Preacher35

Hey, I truly appreciate both of you helping me out on this. I haven't looked in the Win properties for individual channel volumes (I had no idea that Vista contained such capability). I will also try playing around with the polarities tonight as you recommended and report back. As I'm sure that this is the same with you, I love my X-Fi card more than pretty much anything else in my rig and would be hard to live without.

Thanks again

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
News: MSI P7N Diamond with Xtreme Audio.

Creative X-Fi technology has penetrated into a variety of products ranging primarily from Sound-cards to headphones, external audio filters and now even motherboards. This isn't for the first time that MSI (Micro-Star International) is incorporating X-Fi audio into its motherboard audio subsystem, the MSI P7N Diamond is their latest board. It's based on the NVidia NForce 780i SLI chipset. More details on this board can be found on the company website here.

With manufacturers cramming more and more features into today's high-end motherboards, the PCB's are definitely running out of space for the audio subsystem. Hence several manufacturers such as ASUS, DFI, Abit are opting the use of audio riser cards. An audio riser simply put is a tiny expansion card with all the onboard audio circuitry you'd otherwise find on the main PCB of the motherboard. This usually includes an Intel Azalia specs. compliant CODEC chip, its power circuit, input headers for CD/Aux in, digital in ; has the external connectors of the analogue out and usually the coaxial/optical SPDIF IO. In some boards such as the ASUS ROG series, the SPDIF connectors are on the main PCB.

The X-Fi Xtreme Audio that comes with the MSI P7N Diamond isn't an audio riser but a fully discrete card PCI-E card that goes into any PCI-E slot. This design has many flaws however.

Take a close look at the board layout and that of the card:

...and how you're supposed to install them...

:wtf:

The card is a full-height expansion card that ideally would go into the first PCI-E x1 slot in which case the video-card won't fit (into the first PCI-E x16 slot).

Let's say I have to install three cards into a tri-SLI (I can't in reality but just assume:eek:). I lose out on all options of an audio subsystem.

A. The first slot is blocked with this card on the second x1 slot.
B. Even if I use three cards into the first, second and fourth x16 slots with this audio card in the second x1 slot, I'll have trouble with the SLI interconnect defeating the purpose of a 780i based board.
C. How can I use tri-SLI anyway with such a bundle :wtf:?

All in all the card seems a decent thing, it's based on the design methodology of the X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI-Express but in the context of this board, the design is extremely flawed thanks to the shabby PCB layout of the board. Mind you, this card doesn't have the CA-20K1 processor meaning no EAX 4.0 HD / 5.0 HD acceleration but you still get the Crystalizer and CMSS-3D.

I rather compliment the older MSI board that implemented X-Fi, the P6N Diamond based on the NForce 680i. Isn't that a much more sensible PCB design now:rolleyes:?

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
it seems quite a few motherboard manufacturers are heading the route of an x1 style PCB - although that MSI is the first I've seen brandishing the X-Fi name. That is a crappy layout on MSI's part, though - it's as if the audio was an afterthought.

But, they do this for their "performance" motherboards to isolate the chipset from the motherboard PCB itself to eliminate EMI issues from the mobo componentry, but still want to cram the riser card butt-up against the primary PCIE slot :shadedshu

MSI deserves a :slap: for that one

dwax

Processor AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Motherboard MSI-7145
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9700LED.
Memory 2Gig of PC4000 500Mghz Crucial Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) Nvidia XFX 8800GS
Storage 2 250 GB western digital HD External WD 250 HD
Display(s) Acer 22WS
Case Old eMachine modified
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Fidelity
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC ATX 430W
Software WinXP Media Center Edition
I have the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic. still have the drivers from the disk installed. Do you have to uninstall the old ones before you update to new drivers?

Last edited:

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
I have the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic. still have the drivers from the disk installed. Do you have to uninstall the old ones before you update to new drivers?

you shouldn't have to;

although, if you are using Vista, I'd recommend doing so. You should be alright if running XP.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Hey, I truly appreciate both of you helping me out on this. I haven't looked in the Win properties for individual channel volumes (I had no idea that Vista contained such capability). I will also try playing around with the polarities tonight as you recommended and report back. As I'm sure that this is the same with you, I love my X-Fi card more than pretty much anything else in my rig and would be hard to live without.

Thanks again

any developments to getting your audio straightened out?

P

Preacher35

:banghead: No. I've tried all of your appreciated suggestions, but the channel issue is worse now then before. I've tried playing with polarities, swapping cables, making adjustments in the control panel. No dice. At the moment, I'm back to onboard sound and that is messed up as well (no center channel and front left is coming out of the center channel speaker). I'm confident that this is a Vista issue. I guess, I'm gonna have to sacrifice DX10 and switch back to XP.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
:banghead: No. I've tried all of your appreciated suggestions, but the channel issue is worse now then before. I've tried playing with polarities, swapping cables, making adjustments in the control panel. No dice. At the moment, I'm back to onboard sound and that is messed up as well (no center channel and front left is coming out of the center channel speaker). I'm confident that this is a Vista issue. I guess, I'm gonna have to sacrifice DX10 and switch back to XP.

odd that onboard audio is doing the same thing you were having issues with the X-Fi, considering those are two different styles of audio playback and drivers are different.

By chance, the issue you are currently having with your onboard audio, is it exactly the same as with the X-Fi card, or are there differences?

If it is exactly the same, I'd reason to say that the problem might possibly be with your speakers - in this case, I'd recommend trying another set if you have them, or, try hooking your speaker setup to some other form of device, like a TV, DVD player, DVR, stereo, etc. If the problem is still apparent, the speakers themselves might be defective - rare, but not entirelly impossible either.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Do this: Keep the card in 5.1 ch setting, use a pair of stereo headphones, plug it in all the three jacks of the sound card and see if you're getting any sound with the multichannel demo.

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
So I bought this today

Plugs in via USB and installs all the drivers via windows. USB X-Fi sound card that works in ALL GAMES!!!

So far I'm loving this thing.

Games sound better.

Youtube sounds better

Higher volume

X-Fi works in all things.

Bad
USB power plug sold sep..

Do you guys think there is anyway to install Xfi soft for this?

Last edited:

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Storage SSD 64GB
Case Using the desk ATM
Oh I also picked up a pair of these.

Short Description
The RS 130 wireless RF headphone system with switchable surround sound is an ideal choice for both hi-fi and TV use. The lightweight RS 130 lets you enjoy freedom of movement from any audio source. In addition, the transmitter features a convenient metal stand for storing and recharging the headphones.
Features
Open, circumaural wireless stereo RF headphone system
For hi-fi and TV use
Switchable SRS surround sound mode
Intelligent auto-tuning with memory function
Self-learning automatic level control provides optimum signal reception
Very lightweight headphones, extremely comfortable to wear
Easy recharging: simply hang the headphones onto the charging cradle
Rechargeable NiMH batteries included
Supports the use of multiple headphones receiving the RF signal from one transmitter.
Delivery includes transmitter, power cable, audio cable and headphones
Connects to RCA jacks (red and white outputs), 1/8" and 1/4" headphone sockets (anything with a headphone jack including laptop and desktop computers!)

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/productdetail.asp?transid=009925

I can go all over the house and no wires to get wrapped up in my chair.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
So I bought this today

Plugs in via USB and installs all the drivers via windows. USB X-Fi sound card that works in ALL GAMES!!!

So far I'm loving this thing.

Games sound better.

Youtube sounds better

Higher volume

X-Fi works in all things.

Bad
USB power plug sold sep..

Do you guys think there is anyway to install Xfi soft for this?

maybe, but the software the is part of the X-Fi driver package I don't think would work at all. But, you should be able to dl the other Creative software from their website, I would think . . . you bought it brand new? It didn't come with a diks of creative software at all?

DaMulta said:
Oh I also picked up a pair of these.

Short Description
The RS 130 wireless RF headphone system with switchable surround sound is an ideal choice for both hi-fi and TV use. The lightweight RS 130 lets you enjoy freedom of movement from any audio source. In addition, the transmitter features a convenient metal stand for storing and recharging the headphones.
Features
Open, circumaural wireless stereo RF headphone system
For hi-fi and TV use
Switchable SRS surround sound mode
Intelligent auto-tuning with memory function
Self-learning automatic level control provides optimum signal reception
Very lightweight headphones, extremely comfortable to wear
Easy recharging: simply hang the headphones onto the charging cradle
Rechargeable NiMH batteries included
Supports the use of multiple headphones receiving the RF signal from one transmitter.
Delivery includes transmitter, power cable, audio cable and headphones
Connects to RCA jacks (red and white outputs), 1/8" and 1/4" headphone sockets (anything with a headphone jack including laptop and desktop computers!)

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...transid=009925

I can go all over the house and no wires to get wrapped up in my chair.

how well do they sound? Do get any loss of signla at all, or is it a constant strong signal? TBH, I've always been a bit leary of wireless headsets, but technology has changed a lot over the alst year or two

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Storage SSD 64GB
Case Using the desk ATM
They sound good when sound is going on. When sound is off you can hear a slight noise, not a bad noise tho. Granted I'm supposed to charge them for 16 hours and I turned them on out of the box the batteries could need more charge. I have walked maybe 30-50 feet away with good sound. O they charge on the set which was a major plus to this.

I have a pair of hd 465, and I think these wireless are better than them in ways.

For the Xmod I found there is new firmware on creatives website, maybe this is how the drivers are installed? There is no CD, no soft no notting that comes with this X-Fi it's a plug in and windows install type of hardware. Tomb Radier the game I have tried it with so far is much better now, and I can hear things that I didn't hear before in the game.

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Storage SSD 64GB
Case Using the desk ATM
COD4=fantastic sound now!!!!!

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro

Aah...finally you guys are realising the importance / benefits of X-Fi Technology on gaming. Try BF 2142. You're listening to CoD 4 in EAX 3.0 Advanced HD.

Yes, the X-Mod is very ideal when you're in a multi-GPU setup not being able to install a PCI card or if you use the USB port as in notebooks or the PC itself. It offers the same X-Fi Crystalizer and CMSS-3D. The signal processing however is carried out by the system CPU.

Doom 3 with EAX 4.0 HD pwns:rockout:

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Storage SSD 64GB
Case Using the desk ATM
I had a X-Fi fatilty that I sold because 2 out of 3 motherboards it would snap crackle pop.

I just need to find a mixer for this thing.

Well with this I can go to my 5.1 with my onboard, and headphones with this. I'm on headphones 98% of the time.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
I had a X-Fi fatilty that I sold because 2 out of 3 motherboards it would snap crackle pop.

I just need to find a mixer for this thing.

Well with this I can go to my 5.1 with my onboard, and headphones with this. I'm on headphones 98% of the time.

The newer X-Fi revisions don't tend to have as much of a problem with hardware conflicts or overheating issues. Updated PCBs and firmware have done wonders for them.

I can't think of any really good and free software mixers . . .

although, seeings as how you have Realtek HD, the driver package should come with a software mixer and all, right? Or are you looking for something that directly interfaces with the X-Mod, instead of adjusting output settings?

Awesome, though, that you have such great range with that headset! I remember when some of the early wireless headsets first came out, they were very receptive to interference and all.

DaMulta said:

why I stress to people (especially gamers) that nothing beats out the EAX capability of X-Fi products. Enjoy it man! :toast:

btarunr said:
Yes, the X-Mod is very ideal when you're in a multi-GPU setup not being able to install a PCI card or if you use the USB port as in notebooks or the PC itself. It offers the same X-Fi Crystalizer and CMSS-3D. The signal processing however is carried out by the system CPU.

Doom 3 with EAX 4.0 HD pwns

Doom3 with EAX4HD + OpenAL :toast:

System Name celer
Processor Pentium 4 650 3.4GHz 2MB L2
Motherboard MSI PM8M3-V
Cooling Thermalright SI-128 SE
Memory 2048MB OCZ 2-3-2-5 2T at 200Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon R9100
Storage 250G Samsung 850 PRO (MZ-7KE256BW) - 1024G WD Black (WD1003FZEX)
Display(s) 19' iiyama ProLite E1980SD 1280x1024 75Hz DVI
Case Eurocase moded
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Enermax 620W Liberty
Mouse Logitech MX510 red
Keyboard eTech PS/2 keyboard
Software Win XP SP3
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/submission/2455634_
I just want to report there as X-Fi owner (at lest till I kill the card by modding it too much :rolleyes:) and now off to reading some interesting things in this thread :p :D

Good work there, imperialreign ;) I do wonder how the custom drivers for X-Fi works, compared to the Creative ones that are mostly major pain in the a$$ :eek:

System Name My Current Desktop
Processor i9 12900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 6400 F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 FE
Storage SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2716DGR 27" TN 1440p
Case Fractal Design Torrent White
Audio Device(s) Schiit Bifrost2
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Keychron Q6 (brown)
Software Win 11 Pro
I have an X-fi Xtreme music which is had RMA'd through creative for random thumps through the subwoofer of my Logitech Z-5500's I also had the speakers RMA'd and it is still happening, is it possible its doing this due to "dirty power"?

If so which power cleaner would you recommend? a Monster brand one or something else?