• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X-Fi Support Syndicate & Owner's Clubhouse

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
Brilliant :rockout:

I'm going to use the Doom 3 sig. :D How about something on CMSS-3D ?

Thanks! Personally, I like the Thief one myself, but I'm biased that way (been a fan of the Thief series since 98 when The Dark Project was released) . . .

Ummm . . . CMSS-3D sig, sure - have anything specific in mind, a specific game or otherwise?

Same goes with the EAX sigs . . . if anyone can recommend any other game (that does support EAX), I'll whip up a sig for it.

I'm debating adding them to post#1.

R

Russtavo

For the sake of a test, you might want to try another application such as VLC, you can configure it.

Ok, here's an update: I installed the latest VLC player. Set to "Stereo" everything plays fine. If I set it to "A/52 over S/PDIF", the amp correctly detects DTS and Dolby Digital, but playback is extremely juddery (and I mean bad! Both picture and sound) :wtf:

I don't know how to solve this one :banghead:

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Ok, here's an update: I installed the latest VLC player. Set to "Stereo" everything plays fine. If I set it to "A/52 over S/PDIF", the amp correctly detects DTS and Dolby Digital, but playback is extremely juddery (and I mean bad! Both picture and sound) :wtf:

I don't know how to solve this one :banghead:

Set the output sample rate in the Creative Console to 96 KHz and try this again.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Set the output sample rate in the Creative Console to 96 KHz and try this again.

agreed.

and, if running a different 3rd party app actually works, then it's some issue with PowerDVD, IMO - now to just nail the jello to the wall . . .

R

Russtavo

Ok, tried this, I get the same horrendous stuttering. Played with every possible VLC setting (WaveOUT, etc.). No difference :twitch:

Not that I want to use VLC, it was just a test. Is there nothing out there apart from PowerDVD that I can use for Blu-Ray playback that supports ATI Hardware Acceleration? I'd still need to nail this audio problem though. Any more ideas? :confused:

System Name My Current Desktop
Processor i9 12900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 6400 F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 FE
Storage SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2716DGR 27" TN 1440p
Case Fractal Design Torrent White
Audio Device(s) Schiit Bifrost2
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Keychron Q6 (brown)
Software Win 11 Pro
How do people feel about monster speaker cable? do you think it will make a difference once my card is hooked up via S/PDIF?

also its decided im upgrading to and X-fi Prelude.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
How do people feel about monster speaker cable? do you think it will make a difference once my card is hooked up via S/PDIF?

Not sure what you mean by that. If it means a low resistance copper coaxial cable then it still doesn't make a big difference if it's short distance since that's a digital interconnect. Aah, one way of looking at it would be that as it is, a coaxial cable adds to the latency over optical and that a low-res good quality co-ax cable would be a good connect between your card and the receiver. If you're hinting at the connection between the amplifier and the speaker, it solely depends on the speakers' parameters.

also its decided im upgrading to and X-fi Prelude.

Thattaboy! :toast: but don't expect a big change. There would be a change no doubt but not seriously much. I moved from a Xtreme Gamer to this card. The digital and front_panel audio output is pure gold, front channel is a screaming 5V.

R

Russtavo

Think I have a handle on the problem - Taken from Wikipedia:

Applications communicate with the audio driver through Sessions, and these Sessions are programmed through the Windows Audio Session API (WASAPI). In general, WASAPI operates in two modes. In exclusive mode (also called DMA mode), unmixed audio streams are rendered directly to the audio adapter and no other application's audio will play and signal processing has no effect. Exclusive mode is useful for applications that demand the least amount of intermediate processing of the audio data or those that want to output compressed audio data such as Dolby Digital, DTS or WMA Pro over S/PDIF. WASAPI exclusive mode is similar to kernel streaming in function, but no kernel mode programming is required.

It seems Media Player/Centre is using exclusive WASAPI, hence why it works great and third-party apps like PowerDVD aren't using it, thus my problem. Seems there is no solution :cry:

System Name My Current Desktop
Processor i9 12900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 6400 F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 FE
Storage SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2716DGR 27" TN 1440p
Case Fractal Design Torrent White
Audio Device(s) Schiit Bifrost2
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Keychron Q6 (brown)
Software Win 11 Pro
Not sure what you mean by that. If it means a low resistance copper coaxial cable then it still doesn't make a big difference if it's short distance since that's a digital interconnect. Aah, one way of looking at it would be that as it is, a coaxial cable adds to the latency over optical and that a low-res good quality co-ax cable would be a good connect between your card and the receiver. If you're hinting at the connection between the amplifier and the speaker, it solely depends on the speakers' parameters.

Thattaboy! :toast: but don't expect a big change. There would be a change no doubt but not seriously much. I moved from a Xtreme Gamer to this card. The digital and front_panel audio output is pure gold, front channel is a screaming 5V.

actually i was planning on using optical, and using monster speaker cable from the sub woofer to to the speakers on my Z-5500's.

also how do you like the driver/software package for the prelude compared to the creative cards?

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
also how do you like the driver/software package for the prelude compared to the creative cards?

Same drivers, just a couple of strings and graphics changed (where you had the creative logo, you have Auzen). No change. The latest driver allows DTS Interactive, etc. that's all.

D

Deleted member 24505

I have QED silver anniversary speaker cable on my speakers and it DOES make a differance.Most people use bell wire(crappy thin wire) on their speakers,just no.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
I have QED silver anniversary speaker cable on my speakers and it DOES make a difference.Most people use bell wire(crappy thin wire) on their speakers,just no.

Co-axial SPDIF cable might not since it's just a path for digital transmission and signal-loss occurs only if the cable is too long (due to the resistance).

But you were right, and were hinting at the analogue cable that connects the amplifier to the speaker.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
I have QED silver anniversary speaker cable on my speakers and it DOES make a differance.Most people use bell wire(crappy thin wire) on their speakers,just no.

Yeah, but it doesn't have to be the overpriced Monter Cable stuff, or anything similar. Just buy standard 12ga speaker wire, and you'll never hear the difference between it and the premium stuff.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Yeah, but it doesn't have to be the overpriced Monter Cable stuff, or anything similar. Just buy standard 12ga speaker wire, and you'll never hear the difference between it and the premium stuff.

for the most part - but high end, sensitive speakers will pick up EMI through standard speaker wire. You'll never hear the faint static and clicking on low end components, though - unless you route your speaker wires near some powerful appliances.

I still tend to recommend shielded cable for most people - it's not much more expensive, really.

Russtavo said:
Think I have a handle on the problem - Taken from Wikipedia:

Applications communicate with the audio driver through Sessions, and these Sessions are programmed through the Windows Audio Session API (WASAPI). In general, WASAPI operates in two modes. In exclusive mode (also called DMA mode), unmixed audio streams are rendered directly to the audio adapter and no other application's audio will play and signal processing has no effect. Exclusive mode is useful for applications that demand the least amount of intermediate processing of the audio data or those that want to output compressed audio data such as Dolby Digital, DTS or WMA Pro over S/PDIF. WASAPI exclusive mode is similar to kernel streaming in function, but no kernel mode programming is required.

It seems Media Player/Centre is using exclusive WASAPI, hence why it works great and third-party apps like PowerDVD aren't using it, thus my problem. Seems there is no solution

The only thing you could keep hopeful about would be a driver update for PowerDVD that works around that issue - if indeed that's what the problem is. I had kinda gotten that feeling from what I've been able to research on the problem, hence why I recommended installing ALchemy and OpenAL - I wasn't sure how PowerDVD interacted with both Vista and the X-Fi hardware. Most people only report being able to use 2 channel stereo with PowerDVD . . .

As to the suttering . . . if you feel comofortable enough to go into your SYS BIOS . . . look for a setting entitled PCI Latency, and increase that one step. If it's currently set at 32, set it to 64 or 96. Giving the card a bit longer of a hold on the PCI BUS might resolve the suttering issue.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
for the most part - but high end, sensitive speakers will pick up EMI through standard speaker wire. You'll never hear the faint static and clicking on low end components, though - unless you route your speaker wires near some powerful appliances.

I still tend to recommend shielded cable for most people - it's not much more expensive, really.
Most of the EMI that infiltrates the audio signal happens on the input side of things, not after the signal has already been amplified. More often than not, it's caused by ground feedback, although there are other sources to consider. Use shielded cable for all of your source connections, and you'll be fine. The only exceptions might be if, like you stated, you run your speaker wire past some heavy duty appliances that have nice, big electric motors, but in reality, you shouldn't be doing that anyway.

As an example, I have a pair of Polk Monitor 70s on my setup. I have them running thru an Onkyo DS696. I know it's not the highest end of setups, but it is very good. I used to have an EMI problem with my setup, once I switched to shielded source cables, the problem disappeared.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Most of the EMI that infiltrates the audio signal happens on the input side of things, not after the signal has already been amplified. More often than not, it's caused by ground feedback, although there are other sources to consider. Use shielded cable for all of your source connections, and you'll be fine. The only exceptions might be if, like you stated, you run your speaker wire past some heavy duty appliances that have nice, big electric motors, but in reality, you shouldn't be doing that anyway.

As an example, I have a pair of Polk Monitor 70s on my setup. I have them running thru an Onkyo DS696. I know it's not the highest end of setups, but it is very good. I used to have an EMI problem with my setup, once I switched to shielded source cables, the problem disappeared.

well, kinda what I meant - output coming from the card itself. Once the feed hits an amplifier, it's generally safe from there. Your average units nowadays that run from the rig to the amplifier/subwoofer enclosure tend to be alright from the sub to the speakers. Even still, most setups nowadays make use of shielded cables to begin with - especially the higher end units. The only time it would prob be more of a concern, is if your outputs run to a splitter of some sort - where an input is split between two or three different channels, and all you use is your standard speaker wire that plugs into both the unit and the speaker itself (as composed to speakers now where the input line is attached right out of the box).

Good example of types of stereo setups where EMI is really common is car stereos. I can't count the number of aftermarket setups I've heard where you can clearly hear audio interference from various vehicle components . . . even if everything has been properly grounded, too.

syborfy

Is there any way to hook up Front panel Audio to my X-fi Fatality Extreme gamer?
Are there any documentation on the pin outs?

Thank you

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Is there any way to hook up Front panel Audio to my X-fi Fatality Extreme gamer?
Are there any documentation on the pin outs?

Thank you

Depends, which Xtreme Gamer card do you have?

If it's the standard Xtreme Gamer, the newer revisions have an Azalia connector on them, it will also work with AC97.

If you have an Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty card: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showpost.php?p=651670&postcount=274

original instructions for making an adapter that will connect to the 10-pin connector: http://audigy2zshowto.blogspot.com/

a few reputable sites even sell those connectors already made for a small fee

Electric

soundcardj13vq.gif

This might be useful!

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет

I think that's the clearest image of a Creative proprietary connector I've ever seen! :toast:

For anyone that's wondering, the Audigy and X-Fi card's use the exact same connector and pinout, as that image demonstrates.

Electric

EDIT=Sorry... you wont see me in this forum again!

Last edited:

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
TBH, I really don't see the need for a link to the Sound Blaster timeline in this thread . . . seeing as how I'm attempting to cover only X-Fi models, and the fact that very few users actually make use of anything prior to the Live! models anymore.

TBH, I'm not sure what you're trying to get at, either. If it makes you feel any better, I've owned at least one card from every Sound Blaster incarnation over the years, minus anything from the Audigy lineup; so, that timeline is kinda pointless for me, as I've been there, done that . . .

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
This needs to be stickied.
I want a sound card that can handle 128 voices. My Audigy II is a good card but it handles only 64. Will the Audigy 3 handle 128 voices? Will the Audigy 4? Or do I need an X-Fi card? If so, which one should I get? I've heard horror stories of X-Fi cards that are re-branded audigies or something and didn't handle X-Fi technology (worth a shit).

You wouldn't mind some free advertising would you? (I.E. me taking the sig pic, using it and also making the pic a link to this thread)

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
This needs to be stickied.
I want a sound card that can handle 128 voices.

You're lucky. Newegg has a rebate for you, X-Fi Xtreme Gamer (CA20-K1 processor) that will effectively cost you $ 55.69 (shipping included, comes with a $30 MIR) clicky.

My Audigy II is a good card but it handles only 64. Will the Audigy 3 handle 128 voices?

No.
Will the Audigy 4? Or do I need an X-Fi card? If so, which one should I get? I've heard horror stories of X-Fi cards that are re-branded audigies or something and didn't handle X-Fi technology (worth a shit).

That's just the Xtreme Audio PCI. Stay away from this card. It's just a Audigy 4 SE + Crystalizer + CMSS 3D, etc. No gaming advantages.

You wouldn't mind some free advertising would you? (I.E. me taking the sig pic, using it and also making the pic a link to this thread)

Go ahead.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
I wasn't planning on OMG I WANT ONE NOW, I was gonna get one with my birthday money (plus a video card of course).

I see Audigy 4's going CHEAPO on Ebay. Do these handle 128 voices?