• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X-Fi Support Syndicate & Owner's Clubhouse

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
They do however absolutely blow away any headset, headphone under $200. This I guarantee. Of course they are not meant to be audiophile, they are positional gaming headsets. So like comparing apples to oranges....

Any surround headset, I'd tend to agree. But in terms of pure audio quality, regardless of number of channels, even my RE2's are superior, let alone my RE1's.

Killer surround phones tho. I was gonna buy them, but saw the Razer 5.1's on sale for cheap, and took the chance on them. Yeah, I regret that move. lol.

System Name White Theme
Processor Intel 12700K CPU
Motherboard ASUS STRIX Z690-A D4
Cooling Lian Li Galahad Uni w/ AL120 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aero 4080 Super 16GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0
Display(s) Alienware 38" 3840x1600 (165Hz)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO White
Audio Device(s) 2i2 Scarlett Solo + Schiit Magni 3 AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000 Platinum
^^

:roll:

In all seriousness - it's not a PCI latency issue . . . it's an EMI/RFI kinda thing. The card is just picking up too much noise from it's environment.

There's some things you can do to try and alleviate the issue - one, if possible, move the audio card as far away from neighboring components as possible.

Two, make an EMI shield for the card - this will take some creative license, but you can use anything from old HDD plates, to aluminum foil. You'll have to figure some way to mount it to the card, without having it touch any of the exposed components. Make sure the shield is in good contact with the PCI plate of the card, too.

You can also add small copper heatsinks to various PCB components on the card - it will cut down of some of the noise a bit . . . especially, target the DAC, ADC, OPAMPs and VRMs.

You could also attempt to ground your case - get ahold of some shielding wire, then route it up and down along the inside of your case panels - at the end of the wire, attatch it to one of the case screws to ground the cable. It should help reduce any external noise.

ooo I have some spare zalman gpu ramsinks, might try those, thanks for the help :D.

johnspack

Here For Good!
System Name System2 Blacknet , System1 Blacknet2
Processor System2 Threadripper 1920x, System1 2699 v3
Motherboard System2 Asrock Fatality x399 Professional Gaming, System1 Asus X99-A
Cooling System2 Noctua NH-U14 TR4-SP3 Dual 140mm fans, System1 AIO
Memory System2 64GBS DDR4 3000, System1 32gbs DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) System2 GTX 980Ti System1 GTX 970
Storage System2 4x SSDs + NVme= 2.250TB 2xStorage Drives=8TB System1 3x SSDs=2TB
Display(s) 2x 24" 1080 displays
Case System2 Some Nzxt case with soundproofing...
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U7 MKII
Power Supply System2 EVGA 750 Watt, System1 XFX XTR 750 Watt
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Ducky
Software Manjaro, Windows 10, Kubuntu 23.10
Benchmark Scores It's linux baby!
Heheh, yeah, the Razors, I saw the reviews on them... Checked all the reviews on gaming headsets probably for like 3 weeks straight before I bought. Saw many on these hpa2s, all good, then saw I think Kursah's review, and said what the hell. So glad I got them, nothing for this price will compare I'm sure of it. Even the mic works perfect, important to me for ts and vent. Dam mic is metal! Most of the headset is metal, very sturdy, but comfortable. Best 111can after taxes and shipping I ever spent!

System Name Jaffakeik
Processor I9 12900K
Motherboard MSI Pro B660M-A WIFI DDR4
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II High Performance CPU Water cooler- 240mm
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB (2x16GB) 3600
Video Card(s) 7900XTX gigabyte OC edition
Storage WD Black SN770 1TB SSD M.2 2280 NVME x2
Display(s) TV LG C2
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 Full Tower Case Tempered
Audio Device(s) Mother board + Sennhiser HD650+ Elgato wave xlr + shure SM7B
Power Supply EVGA 1600w G+
Mouse Glorious Model 0
Keyboard Corsair RBG mini K65 + Steelseries Apex150
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores over 9000
are sound cards much better than integrated scards?OR they need better sound system to work fully?

System Name White Theme
Processor Intel 12700K CPU
Motherboard ASUS STRIX Z690-A D4
Cooling Lian Li Galahad Uni w/ AL120 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aero 4080 Super 16GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0
Display(s) Alienware 38" 3840x1600 (165Hz)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO White
Audio Device(s) 2i2 Scarlett Solo + Schiit Magni 3 AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000 Platinum
are sound cards much better than integrated scards?OR they need better sound system to work fully?

Well for me I've been using logitech x530 5.1 surround system (Very old btw) and monitor headphones ... when I switched from realtek HD onboard to X-Fi Forte 7.1 I never expected such a change in quality. I was blown away tbh.

Its because of features like X-Fi 24bit Crystalizer, EAX Advanced HD, ASIO, DTS Interactive, CMSS 3D.. and the ability to manipulate the bass coming out of your headphones/speakers just affects quality so much.

My favourite infact are the headphone features, you get elevation and surround sound with whatever headphones you got. Elevation is when you see a helicopter in-game for example, it'll actually sound like its up there in the sky flying.

EDIT: Take note though, you have to buy a decent soundcard to get any improvements from onboard, else you could just be buying it purely for the extra features.

EDIT #2: Also take in consideration X-Ram with apparently improves FPS and smoothness with some games, http://xfi.blogspot.com/2006/01/x-ram.html

Last edited:

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
Well for me I've been using logitech x530 5.1 surround system (Very old btw) and monitor headphones ... when I switched from realtek HD onboard to X-Fi Forte 7.1 I never expected such a change in quality. I was blown away tbh.

Its because of features like X-Fi 24bit Crystalizer, EAX Advanced HD, ASIO, DTS Interactive, CMSS 3D.. and the ability to manipulate the bass coming out of your headphones/speakers just affects quality so much.

My favourite infact are the headphone features, you get elevation and surround sound with whatever headphones you got. Elevation is when you see a helicopter in-game for example, it'll actually sound like its up there in the sky flying.

EDIT: Take note though, you have to buy a decent soundcard to get any improvements from onboard, else you could just be buying it purely for the extra features.

EDIT #2: Also take in consideration X-Ram with apparently improves FPS and smoothness with some games, http://xfi.blogspot.com/2006/01/x-ram.html

X-RAM still pisses me off . . . not because it's practically useless . . . but because software developers are too lazy to support it. The freekin support code is available in OpenAL, as are the debugging features - it's not like you need to pay for EAX 5.0HD licensing!! :banghead:

CMSS-3D is great at times, though. It's probably one of the best "virtual" speaker soultions I've heard . . . years of development based off of Aureal's technology, though . . . go figure :p

Tons better. Check this thread out: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=64921

The first post, I compare an expansion audio card to a high-quality onboard setup.

As to the subjectivity of the difference - I'll say this, even with very low end speakers or headphones . . . the average user will immediately hear a difference (not everyone does, though). But, you won't be getting the full output quality of a soundcard with low-end speakers/headphones, though.

Now, I wish that I could promise you that you'd defi hear a difference, but I simply can't do that. Everyone's ears are different. Some of us can easily pick up something like slight differences in sampling rate between two versions of the same track, some can't . . . some of us can hear tones and sounds that are either too high or too low of pitch for others to hear . . . I can show the differences in the hardware, and show visual representation of the output, but the percieved quality is subjective.

Heheh, yeah, the Razors, I saw the reviews on them... Checked all the reviews on gaming headsets probably for like 3 weeks straight before I bought. Saw many on these hpa2s, all good, then saw I think Kursah's review, and said what the hell. So glad I got them, nothing for this price will compare I'm sure of it. Even the mic works perfect, important to me for ts and vent. Dam mic is metal! Most of the headset is metal, very sturdy, but comfortable. Best 111can after taxes and shipping I ever spent!

My thoughts - the HPAs are good, but a bit overpriced, IMHO.

Compared to Razer's HP-1, though, they blow the HP-1 out of the water.

Now, that's not to say the HP-1s are a bad setup . . . quite the contrary, I use a pair - but only for gaming. It's not so much that their frequency response is sub-par, each individual channel is quite decent . . . but, the impedance of the individual channels really gives away the construction . . . I mean, compared to the more "average" values of the HPAs, the HP-1 has some inherent design flaws.

1st, the sub channel has a much lower impedance than any of the other channels (8O compared to the next lowest 32O). For average listening, it equates to a sub channel that's simply too strong, requiring one to spend a lot of time adjusting the sub channel (both in the audio drivers and with the in-line amplifier) to a more comfortable range. As well, the sub performs rather poorly with steady low frequency tones. It sounds good with quick, short bursts, though . . . which is more common in gaming.

The front channel has an insanely high impedance (64O compared to the lower 32O). Again, this means you'll need to spend quite some time adjusting the channel to sound properly. What really comes across as, well, dumb with the center channel is that 90% of games only support 2-channel stereo. It's not like modern sound cards can't handle the upmixing, though, but upmixing to 5.1 has it's issues. The center channel is usually either derived by inversing the L and R channels, then mixing them together is such a way that the extreme L/R portions are canceled (which leaves the predominant center between the two channels) - or by panning the L and R channel inward and mixing (both methods are more technical than I've described here, though). Problem with this upmizing is that typically the center channel is lower in volume than the L or R . . . which means that for proper listening, you need to increase the volume going to this channel. Back to gaming, it's alright as 90% of current game engines (especially FPS) it's not as major of a concern due to the numerous layers of effects that are applied to the output (occlusion, attenuation, reverb, echo, etc.).

Then there's the layout. The HPA is similar, but more "audiophile" in the actual layout of the channels, and their angle. On the HP-1, they all share the same plane, which can equate to certain frequencies and volume levels becoming muddied . . . and there's also the issue of the LEDs built into the ear pieces and the amplifier, as well as the amplifier (which I've had apart before . . . really cheesy), and the abundant possibility of introducing EMI into the output . . . there's literally nothing in the construction for EMI shielding (hell, even a couple of capacitors in the ear pieces would help), nor for noise reduction, etc.

Y'know . . . my set are out of warranty. I should be helpful and just disect the buggars so I can give everyone a good idea what I'm talking about.

Again, the HP-1s are good for gaming . . . and that's it. I wouldn't recommend them for high-quality audio listening, or watching DVDs or HD movies.

johnspack

Here For Good!
Motherboard System2 Asrock Fatality x399 Professional Gaming, System1 Asus X99-A
Storage System2 4x SSDs + NVme= 2.250TB 2xStorage Drives=8TB System1 3x SSDs=2TB
Keyboard Ducky
I would kill myself if I had to use onboard sound! Most games use thx 5.1 sound, only x-fis really support that. Nice expensive digital amps, can't decode thx! Digital out doesn't work unless you have higher end x-fi or auzentech expensive cards... glad my analogue outs do it on my cheap xtremegamer!

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I would kill myself if I had to use onboard sound! Most games use thx 5.1 sound, only x-fis really support that. Nice expensive digital amps, can't decode thx! Digital out doesn't work unless you have higher end x-fi or auzentech expensive cards... glad my analogue outs do it on my cheap xtremegamer!

no games use THX.

THX is quality assurance, and has nothing to do with software at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THX

johnspack

Here For Good!
Keyboard Ducky
Ouch, semantics! Must be fun to have nothing to do all day.... and I thought I was retired heheh!

johnspack

Here For Good!
Keyboard Ducky
Hmm, not thx, eax. I'm still boning up on this, but I'm not using dolby digital over my analogue outputs. Only dvd movies ect can. But EAX advanced HD can! Sorry, confused thx with eax. First time I've had surround sound, give me a break heheh!

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Hmm, not thx, eax. I'm still boning up on this, but I'm not using dolby digital over my analogue outputs. Only dvd movies ect can. But EAX advanced HD can! Sorry, confused thx with eax. First time I've had surround sound, give me a break heheh!

EAX, for entertainment purposes, is really just a reverb filter that is applied to give the impression of a much larger space than you're really in. It's kinda cool, but I've never really liked it for general audio/movie purposes.

Now, if there was a way to adjust the EAX tables by hand, that'd be great . . . but, alas . . . 'tis not so.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Ive just come off my Xonar D2x & back onto my part fried X-Fi Titanium Pro.

really baaaad experience with the Xonar....It was working this morning but when i came home & tried to boot up, the pc's power started tripping in the middle of boot/startup for no aparent reason at all....

so I unplugged the card & checked it over then plugged it back in again & only the front speakers would play any audio & it was so very very quiet when it did play audio, so after more messing around to make sure the card was really fubar'd unplugged it & threw it back in the box - this card is no good.

CTD in games, refused to have a constant signal for DDL/DTS, drivers that are still in the 'beta' stage for Windows 7 coupled with the fact that it would play music from all speakers just like Creatives CMSS3D.

- I had to cut part of the cooler off my Toxic. to fit this soundcard it because it was covering up the fan/hole & started to cook my 4870 till it was hitting 85'c when its usually 60-65'c under load.

So enough of this crap....If they offer to swap with another one, I might consider since It could have just been my luck that I picked up a duff one. Or I could get a refund & look for another X-Fi Titanium which served me well until i part fried the card when i made a mistake of trying to hook it up to my front panel

johnspack

Here For Good!
Keyboard Ducky
If your not going to spend the money on an m-audio card, just get a titanium and call it a day....

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Freedom - sorry to hear about getting a borked card, man . . . rather unusual for ASUS . . .

No matter what you go with next, another Xonar or back to the X-Fi, you're welcome around these parts :toast:

Have you given any thought to some of Auzen's newest releases?

EarlZ

Processor Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 Rev1.1
Cooling Noctua D14
Memory 4GB G.Skill 9-10-9-27-1T 2133Mhz
Video Card(s) GTX580 1.5Gb
Storage 2x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) Samsung T220
Case Lian Li PC-P80
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Extreme Music
Power Supply Silverstone Strider Gold 850
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I have a question about the CMSS-3D and Im wondering for example Im gaming and the game supports 5.1 audio or when Im watching movies with 5.1 sound does the CMSS-3D still take over ?

Also do you guys enable the SVM feature on your X-Fi ?

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Processor LGA 775 Intel Q9550 2.8 Ghz
Motherboard MSI P7N Diamond - 780i Chipset
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDRII 800 4-4-3-5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB PCI-E
Storage 1 TB Seagate 32MB Cache, 250 GB Seagate 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt
I don't enable the SVM feature. It ruins the dynamic of the music, loud parts are supposed to be loud and quite parts quiet.

It might be okay in gaming if you need to keep the volume even. For example, if you still wanted to hear footsteps in an FPS but didn't want to wake up someone living with you when you fired your gun.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
I don't enable the SVM feature. It ruins the dynamic of the music, loud parts are supposed to be loud and quite parts quiet.

It might be okay in gaming if you need to keep the volume even. For example, if you still wanted to hear footsteps in an FPS but didn't want to wake up someone living with you when you fired your gun.

Or movies late at night. The only processing I use on music at all while listening is sometimes a little EQ. Nothing else, ever.

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Processor LGA 775 Intel Q9550 2.8 Ghz
Motherboard MSI P7N Diamond - 780i Chipset
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDRII 800 4-4-3-5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB PCI-E
Storage 1 TB Seagate 32MB Cache, 250 GB Seagate 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt
That's a good use of it too.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I have a question about the CMSS-3D and Im wondering for example Im gaming and the game supports 5.1 audio or when Im watching movies with 5.1 sound does the CMSS-3D still take over ?

yes, i believe it does take over. Its why i don't use it (my media PC has realtek X-fi)

System Name MASTER
Processor Core i7 3930k run at 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x4G kingston hyperx beast 2400mhz
Video Card(s) 2X EVGA GTX680
Storage 2X Crusial M4 256g raid0, 1TbWD g, 2x500 WD B
Display(s) Samsung 27' 1080P LED 3D monitior 2ms
Case CoolerMaster Chosmos II
Audio Device(s) Creative sound blaster X-FI Titanum champion,Creative speakers 7.1 T7900
Power Supply Corsair 1200i, Logitch G500 Mouse, headset Corsair vengeance 1500
Software Win7 64bit Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3d mark 2011: testing
join in with my new Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет

Also do you guys enable the SVM feature on your X-Fi ?

Technically - if you have CMSS enabled, then yes, it's used. But, you can always disable the feature, no matter what hardware mode you're in.

Personally, I don't use SVM at all, and if I'm in Entertainment mode, I use no other hardware filters . . . no EAX, Crystallizer, etc. Although, I do use my preferred EQ curve, and CMSS. It can make nearly any kind of speaker setup sound like they have more spacial depth, but, to get the most out of it, you'll have to spend a lot of time properly adjusting your EQ settings, and the individual channel volumes, etc. - it can be quite a chore.

It also really depends on your listening environment as well - if you have your speakers in a relatively close environment, then there's actually not much need for CMSS, as the output from the speakers is properly overlapping each individual channel . . . but, if you have a much larger listening space, it can help to "fill in" some of the areas between each speaker enclosure.

Now, for gaming it's a different story, I leave EAX enabled (most of the time), EQ, Crystallizer, CMSS, etc. Only due to the fact that most games have such horrible inherent audio . . . but, I'll save that soap box for another thread.

join in with my new Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional

Sure thing! :toast:

EarlZ

Cooling Noctua D14
Display(s) Samsung T220
Case Lian Li PC-P80
Thanks for the responses, For the CMSS-3D ive been trying to experiment with it with games and movies that have 5.1 audio and i really cant tell the difference if they are enabled or disabled but for movies and games w/o 5.1 audio support the difference is extremely noticable... ( Im led to believe that its an auto bypass feature )

Do you guys use something else to rapidly switch between audio modes/features because i find the creative UI clunky and slow.. Wish there was a way to bind all of this on my G15v2 keys :D

As for the EQ i use the flat settings but i have the Crystalizer at 95%, it just makes my MP3's / FLAC's sound much better and more cleaner!

Last edited:
System Name MASTER
Processor Core i7 3930k run at 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x4G kingston hyperx beast 2400mhz
Video Card(s) 2X EVGA GTX680
Storage 2X Crusial M4 256g raid0, 1TbWD g, 2x500 WD B
Display(s) Samsung 27' 1080P LED 3D monitior 2ms
Case CoolerMaster Chosmos II
Audio Device(s) Creative sound blaster X-FI Titanum champion,Creative speakers 7.1 T7900
Power Supply Corsair 1200i, Logitch G500 Mouse, headset Corsair vengeance 1500
Software Win7 64bit Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3d mark 2011: testing

johnspack

Here For Good!
Keyboard Ducky
Yes, for true 5.1 in games ect, you have to turn off cmss. And no, I have to keep up my control panel, thx panel ect, and manually switch modes for what I want to do. Kind of wish creative would set up profiles, as I've got dozens of setups...

EarlZ

Cooling Noctua D14
Display(s) Samsung T220
Case Lian Li PC-P80
After several testing, like setting the CMSS to full surround ( it almost nulls the front speakers ) for content with 5.1 it does automatically disable.