• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X-Fi Support Syndicate & Owner's Clubhouse

v7100

2.15.0006 seemed to updates the firmware.

This is the most stable version for 4GB with ASIO playable in both XP x64 and Vista 64-bit.

New X-Fi drivers released - it appears that WIN XP SP2 Home and Professional x86 and x64, XP MCE 2004 and MCE 2005, Vista x86 and x64 have all been brought up to driver package 2.15.0006.

If anyone notices any degregaded performance or audio issues after installing the updated drivers, please inform me here so I can annotate post #1 accordingly - I'm really curious about the Media Center Edition drivers, as this is the first certified driver update for MCE.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
I installed the new driver. In short: Thumbs up! That's Xtreme Gamer + Windows XP.

The driver actually improved the Crytalizer...or at least I noticed an improvement, higher Crystalizer settings don't cause the sound to crap out now as much as it did before. Another one is this:

I couldn't manipulate the individual volumes or each analog output channel before. There's a sndvol32 extension that comes with this driver. I did a driver cleaning before installing this driver. In the process I lost the Creative Console launcher. Now I'm left with using the control panel. There's no update on the website, leaves me with only one option: use the CD. Would this cause a version conflict in any way?

D

Dready

Thnx for the replies guys, you guys seem to know your stuff! I guess we'll just have to wait for a new driver and hope that fixes it. :(

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
I installed the new driver. In short: Thumbs up! That's Xtreme Gamer + Windows XP.

The driver actually improved the Crytalizer...or at least I noticed an improvement, higher Crystalizer settings don't cause the sound to crap out now as much as it did before. Another one is this:

. . . .

I couldn't manipulate the individual volumes or each analog output channel before. There's a sndvol32 extension that comes with this driver. I did a driver cleaning before installing this driver. In the process I lost the Creative Console launcher. Now I'm left with using the control panel. There's no update on the website, leaves me with only one option: use the CD. Would this cause a version conflict in any way?

cool . . . I hadn't noticed that the new driver allowed for individual channel volume settings; that change applies to XP as well :rockout:

As to the Creative Audio Console, yeah, you'll have to install that from the CD - I've never seen Creative offer that seperately to download on their site.

Not sure if there'll be a conflict in Vista, but as for XP, the Audio Console still works flawlessly. If for some odd reason you need the installation package for the console and the mode switcher, PM me and I'll send it to ya.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
actually . . . come to think of it - I might see if it'd be possible to host a couple of those installers and link them in post #1, like the Console Launcher, Mode Switcher and Volume Control Panel - simply because Creative doesn't offer those files for download with their driver packages . . . and should your installation CD ever become damaged, know what I mean?

. . . just not sure if there's any legal limitations to me doing so; maybe I'll send Creative an e-mail.

Thoughts, anyone?

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
well, as you have done for me, the cd didn't work for me. You found the right version of the switch for me, and it works. Only problem is that if I click on it going through "All Programs" it gives me an error.. But I believe thats due to the fact its all ready on..
I think its a good idea, and you should contact Creative on it all

N

Neziak

I see that there is a solution for connecting an AC'97 front panel to an X-Fi with the '10 pins in a row' connector. But is there a way to connect an AC'97 FP with the "X-Fi XtremeGamer" which has a Intel HD connector?

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
I see that there is a solution for connecting an AC'97 front panel to an X-Fi with the '10 pins in a row' connector. But is there a way to connect an AC'97 FP with the "X-Fi XtremeGamer" which has a Intel HD connector?

To the best of my knowlege, an AC97 and an Azalia (Intel HD) connector are interchangeable, meaning that if your case has an AC97 connector, it will plug into an Azalia pinout without any problems.

N

Neziak

To the best of my knowlege, an AC97 and an Azalia (Intel HD) connector are interchangeable, meaning that if your case has an AC97 connector, it will plug into an Azalia pinout without any problems.

Is there anyone who can confirm this? Because I'm deciding whether to get the X-Fi XtremeGamer or the X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty. I would much rather get the XtremeGamer because of the price but if it doesn't work with my front panel and since it isn't possible to use the I/O drive kit with it I would consider the Fatal1ty version.

I tried to switch my motherboard front panel output from AC'97 to Intel HD. My front panel works with AC'97 but doesn't with Intel HD. In the Realtek control panel the outputs for the front panel are greyed as if there's nothing connected. So I'm really hoping that this is just the case for my motherboard and that my AC'97 front panel works with the X-Fi XtremeGamer.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Read through this thread thoroughly, it has already been discussed.

department76

System Name Fusilli
Processor AMD Phenom II 965 C3 @ 3.9GHz (200x19.5, 1.51V)
Motherboard MSI K9A2 Platinum 790FX/SB600 (AM2+)
Cooling Zalman 9700NT, 2x silent 80mm & 2x 120mm Scythe & Enermax
Memory 4GB Patriot Viper DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.1V
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4870 512MB @ 825/1050 (3x heatpipes)
Storage 2x 250GB RAID 0 - Seagate 7200.10 16MB on Promise FastTrak
Display(s) ViewSonic VX2450 & VX1940
Case Lian-Li PC60 PlusII
Audio Device(s) Auzen X-Fi Prelude, Denon AH-D1000 headphones
Power Supply OCZ GameXtreme 600W
Software Windows 7 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Vantage - P10909
Is there anyone who can confirm this? Because I'm deciding whether to get the X-Fi XtremeGamer or the X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty. I would much rather get the XtremeGamer because of the price but if it doesn't work with my front panel and since it isn't possible to use the I/O drive kit with it I would consider the Fatal1ty version.

I tried to switch my motherboard front panel output from AC'97 to Intel HD. My front panel works with AC'97 but doesn't with Intel HD. In the Realtek control panel the outputs for the front panel are greyed as if there's nothing connected. So I'm really hoping that this is just the case for my motherboard and that my AC'97 front panel works with the X-Fi XtremeGamer.

my front panel has connectors for HD and AC97, i've tried both on my Preludes AC97 connector, headphones seem to work fine on both.

N

Neziak

Thanks for the reply. I did read the thread but in the Creative website it says that it does not work with AC'97 front panels and my front panel didn't work when I changed the front panel output of my motherboard to Intel HD so I just wanted to confirm if this means my front panel doesn't work with HDA at all or just with this motherboard.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Thanks for the reply. I did read the thread but in the Creative website it says that it does not work with AC'97 front panels and my front panel didn't work when I changed the front panel output of my motherboard to Intel HD so I just wanted to confirm if this means my front panel doesn't work with HDA at all or just with this motherboard.

According to Intel's site which describes the pinouts of both AC97 and Azalia, the two connectors are interchangeable as far as functionaility is concerned. What you won't have using an AC97 pluc on an Azalia connector, is the HD capabilities . . . meaning in short, the sound solution won't be able to 'detect' when you plugged in a jack or otherwise, and might not ever redirect audio to your front panel and mute the rear output. But, as far as left channel/right channel output is concerned, both AC97 and Azalia pinouts use the same pin number for these functions, which means that you should have playback through the jack.

Asides, everyone; I'm planning on doing quite a bit of an update to post #1 this weekend, addind some new issues I've come across - I'd also like to expand a bit on the descriptions of the X-Fi models, and also include the X-Mod, etc. And I've also decided to add a small section for related software and include some liks to a few applications (like Rightmark Audio Analyzer, Sonic Foundry Sound Forge (I believe now owned by SONY), and possible some Creative apps (If I obtain permission);

I've also decided to go ahead and include the Auzen Prelude into the list, as it stouts the basic X-Fi design inherent to Creative's lineup. @ btarunr: if you'd like to write a description of the Prelude and what it's advantages, etc are, I'd be glad to post it up - you know quite a bit more about the Prelude than I :p

So, if anyone want's to be included in the member list, has an issue to bring up, noticed anything they feel should be changed, updated, or clarified, any noticed mistakes, or has anything in general they would like to add that they feel would benefit the thread, post it up for consideration, I'll make sure to credit you if I add it to the main post!!!

I'd also like to give a sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread so far - I wasn't really sure how well it would go over, considering the other "Creative/X-Fi" threads that abound on the internet, and I'm glad to see it hasn't fallen into the depths of spam posts and Creative bashing like so many other threads have.

Thanks, y'all! :respect:

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Yup, Sunday I will PM you the description.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
H

Heichef

Hi!
Could you please tell me at which master volume you do the RMAA test with your X-Fi cards? I have an Auzentech Prelude and even at 90% in master volume, RMAA reports that the distortion is too high, although the preset to RMAA in the audio console uses 98%. The RMAA guide to test the X-Fi advises to use 94% of volume. I have to use 86% in the master volume to make the test. I can actually hear the distortion in the sine wave when I use higher volumes, like 90%. My previous Audigy2ZS didn't have this issue. Is my Prelude faulty in any way?
Thanks in advance.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Hi!
Could you please tell me at which master volume you do the RMAA test with your X-Fi cards? I have an Auzentech Prelude and even at 90% in master volume, RMAA reports that the distortion is too high, although the preset to RMAA in the audio console uses 98%. The RMAA guide to test the X-Fi advises to use 94% of volume. I have to use 86% in the master volume to make the test. I can actually hear the distortion in the sine wave when I use higher volumes, like 90%. My previous Audigy2ZS didn't have this issue. Is my Prelude faulty in any way?
Thanks in advance.

Use the Front-panel out headers, the headphone port of your system chassis and not front-out on the card. The front-channels are amplified to 5V which many reviewers found could distort.

H

Heichef

Thank you for the quick reply and the advice.
So...I presume it's normal then. At least I hope so...

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Thank you for the quick reply and the advice.
So...I presume it's normal then. At least I hope so...

Yes, the LM4562NA (amps the Front channels) provides an output of ~5V while the OPA2134 (that amp the other output channels including the FP_out) at ~2.2V

H

Heichef

Well, I tested the rear channels and they exhibit exactly the same kind of distortion on the same master volume levels. I used foobar2000 in Kernel Streaming mode with the plugin "Move stereo to rear channels". The Prelude's audio console was in Audio Creation Mode and Bit-Matched playback, matching the frequency of the sample wav file I used (which is a 1000hz sine wave). It appears that the problem isn't in the front channels opamp...

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
When the soft-volume is '50%', the output is at its maximum volume, when it's > 50%, it's amplified.

H

Heichef

When the soft-volume is '50%', the output is at its maximum volume, when it's > 50%, it's amplified.

I see by your system specs that you also have the Prelude. Do you confirm my situation in the RMAA tests? Thank you for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
I see by your system specs that you also have the Prelude. Do you confirm my situation in the RMAA tests? Thank you for your help.

You got it. I'll do it over the weekend. Meanwhile I have to mod an end-to-end 3.5mm jack cable. Since I'm testing the Linux drivers for the SB X-Fi (which seem to be specially programmed not to work), I have a SB Xtreme Gamer running in this machine now.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
You got it. I'll do it over the weekend. Meanwhile I have to mod an end-to-end 3.5mm jack cable. Since I'm testing the Linux drivers for the SB X-Fi (which seem to be specially programmed not to work), I have a SB Xtreme Gamer running in this machine now.

I about lost some soda through my nose reading that . . . pretty funny :laugh:

The Linux X-Fi drivers are buggy, huh? Are they for all distros, or certain specific ones?

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
I about lost some soda through my nose reading that . . . pretty funny :laugh:

The Linux X-Fi drivers are buggy, huh? Are they for all distros, or certain specific ones?

All that Creative says is it's a 'beta'...implies it won't support it and that it's Linux 64-bit. That's all, they just dumped the source files into a .tar.gz with close to no documentation. I'm having to go through countless Linux forums, spend hours chatting with those Linux nerds about crap like what is my kernel....most of the time it's about the Linux kernel, sometimes it deviates to apricot :shadedshu
(how gay)

I tried Ubuntu (Gutsy Gibbon), OpenSuSE 10.2, Fedora 7....all of the most popular distro's already fail. It's funny how Linux users (on an average) spend at least four hours to properly install a new device...automotive techies change a car's engine in that time while Windows users connect the device, insert the CD and five minutes later they're using it....and yet the Windows users complain of 'complicated' drivers.