1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X1800xt Bios mod, Need more then 1.425

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by UberNoob, Sep 24, 2008.

1. UberNoob New Member

Thanks Received:
    I flashed my xt to and xtpe and my temps went up to the 90's but i put put some arctic silver5 on it and reseated it and now it doesnt pass 70 C @ 1.425 volts. I would like to find a way to get a mod bios or a bios mod tool (rabbit wont get me any higher) so i can get some more volts.

This is a project for shits and grins. Im not scared to fry it. But im not gonna use anything software as it doesnt work with the x1800...I need a bios mod. I have a usb pen with dos and ati flash with my existing xtpe bios on it ready.

Its the xtpe bios from here.. I cant get past 700 / 900 but its not even hot really. Lets cook this sucker...

Anyone? i would like to try 1.45 and 1.5 and if its not friend yet higher :p

2. warup89

warup89

Thanks Received:
    Haha i remember my adventures with my old x1800xt, flashed it to PE too but never when further, i also bought an accelero x2 cooler which kept it really cool, if you get it to go higher than PE speeds i might pop mine in again and have some fun with it ^_^, so far the best OC software for that card that i rmbr it's ATItool, also if you want to mess around withthe bios itself , try RBE [Radeon Bios Editor] located here.

UberNoob says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. iStink

iStink New Member

Thanks Received:
    might want to look into hard modding it. Also, get some cooling on those VRM's or your fun will end too quick. an 80mm fan will work fine.

I had an X1800GTO flashed to 16 pipes running at 700/700. God I loved that card.

UberNoob says thanks.
  4. UberNoob New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tried that first..Not supported

Yea i tried that first, it doesnt work. It says that its an invalid file and not an ati bios.
    I tried the saphire bios and the oem bios i had stock witch is a real ATI bios and not a partner version.

RBE is out.

Oh and 700 x 800 is xtpe im at 700 / 900 so let the games begin. hehe

5. UberNoob New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea i already did that.

i go way back with the zip ties and the 80mm fans but thats and good lookin out man. I can still remember my amd duron & zipties & 80 mm fan mod to my 6600gt. Doom3 played sp well.

Extreme overclocking brings back such fond memories.

6. iStink

iStink New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol yeah, lots of good memories, and some bad ones. I remember having that nervous, heart in the stomach feeling plenty of times knowing I messed something up and wouldn't have a computer for a week or two lol. Trial and error is the best way to learn sometimes.

7. UberNoob New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats what i live for..

I fried three athlon xp bartons and 5 applebred durons messing with the bridges on top..not to mention to xpm2500's with voltage. Fried a 9800 pro, and a 6600 with voltage. a few mobos too.

(my heat is pounding my hands are shaking but im still modin) <---FPS DOUG VOICE...

That feeling makes me feel ALIVE....

8. warup89

warup89

Thanks Received:
    lets start this

old school OC'er right there :)........well alright m8 RBE probly doesn't work for you since its probably too new for the card, but i do remember this other BIOS editor called RaBit which you could download here. I tested it and it works.

UberNoob says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  9. UberNoob New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks man, but thats at its limits (voltage wise)

Yea ive been using Rabbit bios editor but see it doesnt let me go past 1.425 volts on vcore and no vdimm at all. And at that voltage i have really hit a wall, anything slightly over 700 becomes unstable, i can run 725 but only for half of the 3dmark06 bench.

Right now im getting just under 4400 on 3dmark06.

10. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    o man i feel ya biggest mod ever done was my 2800+ Barton modded to M and man my old Morgan core duron before that she was a champ did 1.4Ghz from 1.2 before i started currupting my HDD's because their was no PCI bus lock lol.

10 Year Member at TPU More than 25k PPD
  11. UberNoob New Member

Thanks Received:
    Those were the days.

Yes those were the days. I had a barton 2800 that did 2.4 with stock cooling and some voltage. My applebred 1.8 did like 2.2 well a few of them did. I also got some of them to unlock the extra cache.

I got my athlon xpm 2600 to 2.6 if i remember right. maybe higher, dont need a pci lock with an unlocked multi. It was strange though not all of my xpm (athlon XP mobile) were unlocked.
    Some of them just had a high multiplier of like 14 or something but a lower bus speed.

So i had a 333 bus speed on my fav OC board and i would just up the buss speed on them and jack the voltage. The athlon xp mobile was the chip that made me switch to AMD.

But my next built will be intel unless something changes fast and i dont think it will.
    I Might buy a 4850 though. Anyone whos not a fanboy got a 4850 who can tell me how they like it? I dont do fanboi, I follow the bang for buck path. Both Intel/Amd and Nvidia/Ati (Also AMD) makegreat product but one will always have an edge.

In the end AMD will be victorious, after the buy out of ATI they have so many intelectual properties and technologies they could put from ati into their procs for efficientcy, and tech from their procs to up the clocks on their gpus..

Oh and dont get me started on mobile.

Now whos gonna help me. That guy who made rabbit bios editor, somone tell me why he puts limits on the voltage. Anyone whos bout to flash a card understands the risk involved and is assuming that risk and liability.

So why he got to hold me back. i thought the point was to ENABLE others. Now i got rabbit with his 10% voltage limit actin like my mom when i was 5 tellin me not to run with scisors.

Im gonna hack the rabit bios editor and change the voltagelimit. I think i already know how.

Oh did i mention that i am a software developer? ill see what i can do and keep yall posted.

12. UberNoob New Member

Thanks Received:
    No luck so far

There is a DAT file included with the rabbitbios editor that contain all kinds of settings for
    different gpu's witch is catagorized by gpu revision. For example r512 is my x1800 gpu version. Ibelieve this is the key to raising the voltage limit however no luck yet as theese
    entries are quite cryptic.