• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

x1900xt using DVI and monitor goes analogue

System Name Homebrew
Processor Intel I5 4690k>Ryzen3900x
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5>Aorus Elite X570
Cooling CPU: (Prolimatek Megahelim 2+1 exhaust fan)>X72 Kraken, GPU: 570lx 240mm AIO w/kraken G10 + Ramsinks
Memory Kingston Hyper-X 2400 Savage 2 x 8Gb>16GB Corsair Vengence Pro M2Z(for Ryzen)>32GB PatriotViper 4400
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX Vega 56 HBM to 930Mhz from 800Mhz for Gaming & 850 for Gigapixel AI
Storage 850 evo 250Gb, 860 1TB, HGST HDN726040ALE640, WD10EACS 1Tb, WD20EARS 2Tb, WD80EMAZ, WD140EMFZ
Display(s) Benq GW2265>C24FG73 Samsung 144Hz
Case Antec P180>Lian-Li 011 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Gigabyte M6900> Razer Deathadder V2 (optical switches)
Keyboard Logitech G15 + Wolfking circular gaming KB
Software Windows 7 SP1>Windows 10 Pro N fully activated with gatherosstate.exe
Benchmark Scores http://www.doomiii.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/system-spec.html < Need a new host
email correspondance said:
Dear Mr. ,

We are sorry for the delay in replying to your email. From the information you
supplied I understand that after getting a new motherboard your monitor has trouble
to stay tuned to a digital signal and not revert to analogue when there is no video
output.

Please update mainboard and graphics drivers to the latest version. Enable "reduce
DVI blanking" in graphcis card properties.

You should connect only DVI or only VGA, not DVI and VGA as that's not supported.

We hope we answered your question satisfactorily. Should you have further questions
on this subject please refer to: VSC070816-0002

With kind regards,

Kimberley Barker
ViewSonic Warranty Line
Internet communications are not secure and because of that Viewsonic can not accept
legal responsibility for the content of this message.

Your Message

I have an ati x1900xt graphics card with digital output, connected to my vx922. I
noticed after getting a new motherboard (Gigabyte P35-DQ6), that my monitor has
trouble to stay tuned to a digital signal and not revert to analogue when there is
no video output. I have to wait 15 min with everything turned off to get a
digital signal passed to my screen. I have disabled windows powersaving to put my
monitor in standby because the monitor shows a blank screen and the power light
flashes on and off every second or so. Since the monitor has trouble setting itself
in digital mode from power up, meaning I cant access the bios while its in analogue
mode, its a hardware rather than a software problem. Is there a fix to this
problem? It seems there is some incompatabilty with the plug in and play aspect
between my graphics card and monitor. I have not tried using an analogue cable
since I threw mine out with my old CRT.
So they tell me to change drivers when I told them its a problem on power on; and they rule out the logical fallback of using a digital to analogue converter (which just about every graphics card includes in the box).

I posted this in graphics card cause I read that its the graphics cards bios job to tell the monitor to use digital or analogue so see a possible solution from changing the bios.

I believe I updated the bios a while back. From one x1900xt bios to another x1900xt bios (just later release), the information I have to hand is 113-A52025-106. There used to be a lookup table on ATIs site but I cant find it.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Motherboard Asrock Z790 Nova
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR5-6400 @ 6600
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 Ultra FTW3
Storage 4TB WD 850x NVME, 4TB WD Black, 10TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
Display(s) 1x Samsung Odyssey G7 Neo and 1x Dell u2518d
Case Lian Li o11 DXL w/custom vented front panel
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502x
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 x64 Pro
Benchmark Scores 31k multicore Cinebench - CPU limited 125w
Its both actually the card tells it to use it but the monitor still has to take it...

Namslas90

Yeah, I agree with Niko...Check your monitor settings for one that selects signal choices of Analog or Digital. Not all moniotors will support a digital signal at the cababilities of that Video card. You may have to use CCC to force the setting in the display section. You may have to lower resolution and or refresh rate.

:toast:

System Name Homebrew
Cooling CPU: (Prolimatek Megahelim 2+1 exhaust fan)>X72 Kraken, GPU: 570lx 240mm AIO w/kraken G10 + Ramsinks
Memory Kingston Hyper-X 2400 Savage 2 x 8Gb>16GB Corsair Vengence Pro M2Z(for Ryzen)>32GB PatriotViper 4400
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX Vega 56 HBM to 930Mhz from 800Mhz for Gaming & 850 for Gigapixel AI
Storage 850 evo 250Gb, 860 1TB, HGST HDN726040ALE640, WD10EACS 1Tb, WD20EARS 2Tb, WD80EMAZ, WD140EMFZ
Benchmark Scores http://www.doomiii.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/system-spec.html < Need a new host
Thanks for the replies. As I said above that the problem is starts from the post screen (or lack of it) so no catalyst settings have been loaded yet obviously and therefore driver settings are irrelevant.

The way I see it, either a graphics bios update/backdate or replace monitor or video card will only solve the problem. If I have to swap hardware it will be the monitor cause I dont want every new graphics card I buy to be dependant on wether the monitor plays well with it.

If you're really just looking for a new monitor I have an LG L1952TX 19". It's an awesome monitor. Works flawlessly and is great for gaming. Just my two cents if you're looking for some recs on a monitor.

I had an issue before with DVI/VGA once but it was switching the monitor between two computers and it was basically that the monitor wouldn't switch back to the right input after the other was disconnected when it was turned back on until the button to switch inputs was pressed. Totally unrelated to what your issue sounds like though. :(

Namslas90

Thanks for the replies. As I said above that the problem is starts from the post screen (or lack of it) so no catalyst settings have been loaded yet obviously and therefore driver settings are irrelevant.

The way I see it, either a graphics bios update/backdate or replace monitor or video card will only solve the problem. If I have to swap hardware it will be the monitor cause I dont want every new graphics card I buy to be dependant on wether the monitor plays well with it.

Did some looking around. People say to power up the monitor wait 10 minutes and then unplug it from the wall(without turning it off first). then shut down PC and wait 1 hour. Plug the monitor back in and start it normally and always shut it down with the PC only, not the power button and it should work normally. I realize this sounds weird and also sounds like a driver issue. Have you done a google search for Monitor drivers? Even though the monitor is suppposed to be supported by windows or WDM, I have a monitor that won't work right without the Monitor Driver loaded.(It's an old Xerox LCD).

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Motherboard Asrock Z790 Nova
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR5-6400 @ 6600
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 Ultra FTW3
Storage 4TB WD 850x NVME, 4TB WD Black, 10TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
Display(s) 1x Samsung Odyssey G7 Neo and 1x Dell u2518d
Case Lian Li o11 DXL w/custom vented front panel
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502x
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 x64 Pro
Benchmark Scores 31k multicore Cinebench - CPU limited 125w
Did some looking around. People say to power up the monitor wait 10 minutes and then unplug it from the wall(without turning it off first). then shut down PC and wait 1 hour. Plug the monitor back in and start it normally and always shut it down with the PC only, not the power button and it should work normally. I realize this sounds weird and also sounds like a driver issue. Have you done a google search for Monitor drivers? Even though the monitor is suppposed to be supported by windows or WDM, I have a monitor that won't work right without the Monitor Driver loaded.(It's an old Xerox LCD).

Always finds the good stuff!

I'll have to remember this in case I ever come by this issue

System Name Homebrew

Does this mean its a monitor problem? Im having probs atm. I tried to play the new version of americas army and it does some kind of screen size/rez swap that the old version did not rendering my monitor a paperweight. Its been like this 2 days now, Ive managed to get it to safe mode once and upgrade to catalyst 7.9 (latest on ati site). Then as above AA spoiled my day. I cant play bf2 due to same reason, cant play the beta of tabula rasa either.

I am thinking of purchasing an analogue cable so that I can test the monitor connected to a laptop output and also connected to my pc via a analogue/digital toggle (that u get with all VGA cards).

Namslas90

Does this mean its a monitor problem? Im having probs atm. I tried to play the new version of americas army and it does some kind of screen size/rez swap that the old version did not rendering my monitor a paperweight. Its been like this 2 days now, Ive managed to get it to safe mode once and upgrade to catalyst 7.9 (latest on ati site). Then as above AA spoiled my day. I cant play bf2 due to same reason, cant play the beta of tabula rasa either.

I am thinking of purchasing an analogue cable so that I can test the monitor connected to a laptop output and also connected to my pc via a analogue/digital toggle (that u get with all VGA cards).

Basicaly yes, it's a monitor problem. Using a DVI cable may solve the issue.:toast:

System Name Homebrew
Im using a digital cable atm, unless you mean there are 2 different types of DVI cable; I dont need another digital cable. Looks like Im in the market for a new monitor.

I have the unsigned viewsonic drivers loaded atm, monitor knows its name. Im in windows xp64-bit but as I said problems arise at the post screen, so no drivers are loaded then.

How can viewsonic sell this monitor if it is so flakey?

What monitor is a good alternative? Lopez0101 said "LG L1952TX 19" I bought the vx922 monitor primarily based on its 2ms responce time for gaming.