• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X1900XTX freeze/boot while gaming/movie??

bandook916

System Name Intel
Processor Pentium D 915 @ 3.5
Motherboard Asus P5NE-SLI
Memory Corsair 2X1GB 667
Video Card(s) ATI X1900XTX
Storage 320GB Maxtor
Display(s) LCD Envision 22" WS 5ms
Power Supply XCilio GoodPower 500 watts
It could be a Bad BIOS flash, but normally when this happens the card doesn't even run.

It could be the card is dying.

It could be your PSU. Even though it powered the card before you were probably maxing it out. Now it has aged enough and can no longer support the card.

You power supply is probably on its last leg.

I could not even boot my X1900XTX with a Neo550. Had to get a 650 watt Enermax to boot
my PC with that card.

The only other choice other than this would be the drivers again. It is possable. ATI drivers are very picky and easy to corrupt. I would say try the drivers one more time.

Remove old drivers and "unistaller tool" with Add/Remove programs
Run a windows "Search:" for ATI and delete all drivers found.
Defragment HDD
Reboot PC
Install new drivers from ATI site.
Reboot and try again.

If doing this Step by step as described does not solve it either the card is dying or the PSU is on its way out.

Ok i will try the driver stuff tommorow...gettin tired of it.

I have another random PSU. Can i get it to somehow to power the GPU ONLY? and use the current PSU to power everything else?

EDIT:

Make the extra PSU like a Dedicated PSU for Video card Only?

Namslas90

Ok i will try the driver stuff tommorow...gettin tired of it.

I have another random PSU. Can i get it to somehow to power the GPU ONLY? and use the current PSU to power everything else?

EDIT:

Make the extra PSU like a Dedicated PSU for Video card Only?

You can "Jump" the PSU by using a paper clip (or similar) to connect the green wire on ATX connector to the Black wire on the ATX connector and power the GPU.

**CAUTION** you can damage your PC/PSU/GPU and or SELF - I do not recommend this.

bandook916

System Name Intel
Memory Corsair 2X1GB 667
Storage 320GB Maxtor
You can "Jump" the PSU by using a paper clip (or similar) to connect the green wire on ATX connector to the Black wire on the ATX connector and power the GPU.

**CAUTION** you can damage your PC/PSU/GPU and or SELF - I do not recommend this.

Alright thanks for all the help. I'm going to bed right now, will work on this tommorow. Thanks for all the help.

bandook916

System Name Intel
Memory Corsair 2X1GB 667
Storage 320GB Maxtor
Ok.... Today i thought I should try Vista and see maybe Windows causing the problem....so I connected another hard drive in system and powered up...everything powered up but but no signal on monitor...I saw my keyboard do its normal light flashing thing...the Video card fan was running fine but no signal...So I took of the extra hard drive and tried to power it up again but samething again....I popped in my back up card (x1550) and everything worked fine...

Do you guyz think this could be due to lack of power supplied by the PSU?

System Name Big Devil
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K
Motherboard ECS P67H2-A2
Cooling XSPC Rasa | Black Ice GT Stealth 240 | XSPC X2O 750 | 2x ACF12PWM | PrimoChill White 7/16"
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic White 1600MHz CL9
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ACX SC
Storage Intel 520 Series 180GB + WD 1TB Blue
Display(s) HP ZR30W 30" 2650x1600 IPS
Case Corsair 600T SE
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX | Sennheisser PC350 "Hero" Modded | Corsair SP2500
Power Supply ABS SL 1050W (Enermax Revolution Rebadge)
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/ Media Center
Benchmark Scores Ducky Year of the Snake w/ Cherry MX Browns & Year of the Tiger PBT Keycaps | Razer Deathadder Black
Definitely could be. XClio isn't exactly a high-end brand (not meaning to offend). I would assume (as I haven't owned one) that its reliability and stability is worse than that of an Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, Zalman, or OCZ.

bandook916

System Name Intel
Memory Corsair 2X1GB 667
Storage 320GB Maxtor
System Name Big Devil
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K
Motherboard ECS P67H2-A2
Cooling XSPC Rasa | Black Ice GT Stealth 240 | XSPC X2O 750 | 2x ACF12PWM | PrimoChill White 7/16"
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic White 1600MHz CL9
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ACX SC
Storage Intel 520 Series 180GB + WD 1TB Blue
Display(s) HP ZR30W 30" 2650x1600 IPS
Case Corsair 600T SE
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX | Sennheisser PC350 "Hero" Modded | Corsair SP2500
Power Supply ABS SL 1050W (Enermax Revolution Rebadge)
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/ Media Center
Benchmark Scores Ducky Year of the Snake w/ Cherry MX Browns & Year of the Tiger PBT Keycaps | Razer Deathadder Black
Eh, I don't like the idea of getting a PSU just for graphics cards. If you can afford it, grab one of the single rail Corsair PSUs. They run around $100 or more though, but keep in mind, it's an investment that will last you a long time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&Subcategory=58&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=

They're good deals on Newegg too. I REALLY wanna get the 750W one, but I just spent $400 on a new case and graphics card, and I'll be spending more modding my case.

ALSO: PSU Calculator

Use it, and base your purchase off of this, but remember that a 90000W PSU means nothing if it's not quality.

Last edited: