• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X79 and/or rampage IV OC'ing thread for those of us still left....

I decided to test my new CAS9 Dominator DDR3 2400 4x4GB RAM in another motherboard with different CPU to rule out CPU/mobo incompatibility. I got Rampage IV Extreme with E5-1650V2. XMP was enabled and VTT/VCSSA were left on Auto. VTT as reported by HWiNFO was around 1.25V, VCCSA ~1.18V. Windows Memory Diagnostic passed without errors. Prime95 custom 448-4096 with 14GB RAM allocation failed within minutes. I manually set 11-13-13-31 timings in BIOS and Prime95 custom ran for more 21 hours without any error.

As IMC on E5-1650V2 is capable of handing DDR3 2400 speed with 4 slots populated, I decided to retest my old CAS9 Dominator kit on Rampage IV Extreme and E5-1650V2. I manually set 11-13-13-31 timings. Prime95 custom 448-4096 failed in 9 hours and system suddenly rebooted in several minutes. So the memory controller of my E5-1680V2 was not at fault. It was the RAM itself.

My conclusion is that either Corsair pushed DDR3 chips to their limit and lax binning process allowed the chips to be barely stable to pass Memtest. Or the RAM chips degraded in several years of use.

aQi

Just a regular update to the thread :)
20220326_220253_mfnr.jpg

Corsair even had DDR3 3200 CAS12 RAM.

G.Skill released 16GB DDR3 3200 CAS13 RAM.

G.Skill had even announced 32GB DDR3 3000 kit, but it's not listed on their official website.

The highest capacity/frequency DDR3 kit listed on G.Skill's website is 32GB DDR3-2933.

The highest frequency kit released specifically for X79 platform was 16GB DDR3-2933.

The highest capacity/frequency DDR3 kit listed on Corsair's website is 32GB DDR3 2800.

aQi

Corsair even had DDR3 3200 CAS12 RAM.

G.Skill released 16GB DDR3 3200 CAS13 RAM.

G.Skill had even announced 32GB DDR3 3000 kit, but it's not listed on their official website.

The highest capacity/frequency DDR3 kit listed on G.Skill's website is 32GB DDR3-2933.

The highest frequency kit released specifically for X79 platform was 16GB DDR3-2933.

The highest capacity/frequency DDR3 kit listed on Corsair's website is 32GB DDR3 2800.
There were other companies too but there is not a single good deal of any 2800mhz+ anywhere on plannet.
About gskill they dont have anything even if its displayed its not available for consumers nor they response for email query about availability.

Good grief! 2800mhz DDR3? Wow!
I caught them in a deal otherwise they were moving to another buyer. :D

x79ram.jpg

Also have some dusty :D 3000 mhz cl12 running with my chia rig.

The problem with this high ddr3 freq rams is that they are only good for high frequency runs / benches because they are all only single ranked modules.
With 2400 / 2600 / 2800 there are some dual ranked modules you can find / use that giving way more "real world" performance in terms of bandwith.

aQi

View attachment 242701

The problem with this high ddr3 freq rams is that they are only good for high frequency runs / benches because they are all only single ranked modules.
With 2400 / 2600 / 2800 there are some dual ranked modules you can find / use that giving way more "real world" performance in terms of bandwith.
Darn, those are some serious sexy modules you got there.
Not sure what you meant by single or dual ranked. You mean to say the channel ? Single or dual or quad ?

Not sure what you meant by single or dual ranked. You mean to say the channel ? Single or dual or quad ?

No, rank is how the ICs are organized on the pcb.
To keep it simple : single rank results in a "busy" state for the whole ramsize of the dimm while a ram access is in progress while with dual rank (or quad / octa rank) only a part of the whole dimm is "busy" while other parts can do more ram access stuff (interleaving).

To some extend this is offering better efficiency and bandwith.

Reactions: aQi
Nice! I just found a few MB's of this vintage, hoping to rock some benchies once i finish sorting out all my hardware...
I'll post some pics in the next few

SV

• Love

aQi

No, rank is how the ICs are organized on the pcb.
To keep it simple : single rank results in a "busy" state for the whole ramsize of the dimm while a ram access is in progress while with dual rank (or quad / octa rank) only a part of the whole dimm is "busy" while other parts can do more ram access stuff (interleaving).

To some extend this is offering better efficiency and bandwith.
Interesting and something new for me. Tell me how to identify these ranks ? How can i testify it ? Chose which memory has it ?

Nice! I just found a few MB's of this vintage, hoping to rock some benchies once i finish sorting out all my hardware...
I'll post some pics in the next few

SV
Great which mobos are we talking about. I got my eyes on this but may be it would slip.
20220406_115452_mfnr.jpg

Tell me if its worth it otherwise its a no go.

If I'm going try to bench something I'm not going to use a dual cpu classic, that is a sweet board!

I finished sorting the shelves in my pantry, Still ways to go before I get thru everything.
I'll have to see what I have...

Rock it
SV

closet-pantry.png

aQi

If I'm going try to bench something I'm not going to use a dual cpu classic, that is a sweet board!

I finished sorting the shelves in my pantry, Still ways to go before I get thru everything.
I'll have to see what I have...

Rock it
SV

View attachment 242751
Well this is nostalgic effect of SV :p

Not sure until I see what you are upto and I can guess its not x79 in that pile.

Well you know I cant get this dual socket board unless the other matter solves up.

I also have Asus Z9PE-D8 WS board. Dual Xeon 2696 v2 processors, 8x8GB 1866MHz DDR3 ECC-Reg Rams, there is GTX 780 Ti on it. I have modified bios to use M.2 as well as, newer microcode updates applied. First x16 slot works at PCI-ex 2.0 speed. I could not found a solution for it, but the remaining x16 slots works at PCI-ex 3.0 fine. But, it rests now. It has no TPM sadly and because, Magix Vegas and Topaz can not use Dual CPU. I have moved to x99 with Xeon 2682 v4 16 core and another x99 mainboard that uses Xeon 2696 v3 18 core CPU. But, those two Huanan x99-TF mainboards become old either. They don't have TPM connector too. I will jump to PCI-ex 5.0 when comes h266 codec inside CPU's, probably with 4xxx nVidia.

Note: I know Rufus, works for me fine. The bad thing of Rufus is, if you have a TPM connector, but with an unsupported CPU, it will not allow you to use TPM. It bypasses all restrictions altogether at a time, and you can not use secure boot as well.

Last edited:
Processor Intel I9 7940X
Motherboard Asus Strix Rog Gaming E X299
Cooling Xigmatek LOKI SD963 double-Fan
Memory 64Gb DDR4 2666Mhz
Video Card(s) 1)RX 6900XT BIOSTAR 16Gb***2)MATROX M9120LP
Storage 2 x ssd-Kingston 240Gb A400 in RAID 0+ HDD 500Gb +Samsung 128gbSSD +SSD Kinston 480Gb
Display(s) BenQ 28"EL2870U(4K-HDR) / Acer 24"(1080P) / Eizo 2336W(1080p) / 2x Eizo 19"(1280x1024)
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) Realtek/Creative T20 Speakers
Power Supply F S P Hyper S 700W
Mouse Asus TUF-GAMING M3
Keyboard Func FUNC-KB-460/Mechanical Keyboard
VR HMD Oculus Rift DK2
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Fire Strike=23905,Cinebench R15=3189,Cinebench R20=3791.Passmark=30689,Geekbench4=32885
I also have Asus Z9PE-D8 WS board. Dual Xeon 2696 v2 processors, 8x8GB 1866MHz DDR3 ECC-Reg Rams, there is GTX 780 Ti on it. I have modified bios to use M.2 as well as, newer microcode updates applied. First x16 slot works at PCI-ex 2.0 speed. I could not found a solution for it, but the remaining x16 slots works at PCI-ex 3.0 fine. But, it rests now. It has no TPM sadly and because, Magix Vegas and Topaz can not use Dual CPU. I have moved to x99 with Xeon 2682 v4 16 core and another x99 mainboard that uses Xeon 2696 v3 18 core CPU. But, those two Huanan x99-TF mainboards become old either. They don't have TPM connector too. I will jump to PCI-ex 5.0 when comes h266 codec inside CPU's, probably with 4xxx nVidia.

Note: I know Rufus, works for me fine. But the bad thing of Rufus is, if you have a TPM connector, but with an unsupported CPU, it will not allow you to use TPM. It bypasses all restrictions altogether at a time, and you can not use secure boot as well.
Well not sure why do you need TPM for but if you need for win 11 installation there is a simple way to do that without TPM on the board.....also yeah WS board can use Reg ECC without the problems.......

Username_Johnny

View attachment 242701

Hey my guy, just a fyi, you gosh its alot to type like the whole dual rank and dual channel or single channel stuff, so ok I'm try and shorten, you have the dimms in two different colors yes, but they need to be spead out, because as of now you are only running 2 channels but on only one channel, oh gosh alot to explain and I can't get my words right, im going to go build a rig quick and so I can get my wording together, but I know each channel of the imc should have one stick per bank(idk if that's right word, again I'm go test quick) ok so best way for me to say this is, like if you look at your mobo, there labeled dimm A1 A2 and B1 B2, maybe not A or B exactly, but a letter followed by 1 and 2 within that same letter set, so as of now both your dimms are in only "A1 and A2" so the second half of your imc(internal memory controller) is being used because you don't have anything on the 2nd half or channel/bank, so for better performance, maybe negligible, but def better for overclocking and overall just the correct way for the imc and balance, so take both of your dimms out, and place one in the closest slot to the 24 pin and then skip one and then place it in that slot, so first dimm should go in black slot closest to 24 pin, and then the 2nd dimm should go in the 2nd black slot after you skip one blue, and in the end both of your back slots should be filled, and if have 8 memory slots, like on x79 and x99 and so on, each side should mirror each other, the manual for the motherboard also says to install memory this way, and we'll every motherboard says to install memory this way due to the A and B channels or single and dual channel, There is a YouTuber that goes by "Actual Hardcore OverClocking" and he goes in depth a bunch about memory ranks and channels and has a bunch of videos already made about them, and why install this way, and this is better for that, and why this isn't good for that etc etc, great channel for memory and of course overclocking, and basically everything computer, but in a more in depth granular knowledge/how and why does this so and so pc part or memory work this way. So really just thought for you and future readers just a for your information comment.
-John

interesting and something new for me. Tell me how to identify these ranks ? How can i testify it ? Chose which memory has it ?
That is the problem, you simply can not tell before buying since it is not labeld. CPU-Z can tell you by hitting the SPD tab. Server related ram usually is lableing the rank organisation, with consumer ram you have no indication, at least back in the ddr3 days. (dunno if this changed with ddr4).
Hey my guy, just a fyi, you gosh its alot to type like the whole dual rank and dual channel or single channel stuff, so ok I'm try and shorten, you have the dimms in two different colors yes, but they need to be spead out, because as of now you are only running 2 channels but on only one channel, oh gosh alot to explain and I can't get my words right, im going to go build a rig quick and so I can get my wording together, but I know each channel of the imc should have one stick per bank(idk if that's right word, again I'm go test quick) ok so best way for me to say this is, like if you look at your mobo, there labeled dimm A1 A2 and B1 B2, maybe not A or B exactly, but a letter followed by 1 and 2 within that same letter set, so as of now both your dimms are in only "A1 and A2" so the second half of your imc(internal memory controller) is being used because you don't have anything on the 2nd half or channel/bank, so for better performance, maybe negligible, but def better for overclocking and overall just the correct way for the imc and balance, so take both of your dimms out, and place one in the closest slot to the 24 pin and then skip one and then place it in that slot, so first dimm should go in black slot closest to 24 pin, and then the 2nd dimm should go in the 2nd black slot after you skip one blue, and in the end both of your back slots should be filled, and if have 8 memory slots, like on x79 and x99 and so on, each side should mirror each other, the manual for the motherboard also says to install memory this way, and we'll every motherboard says to install memory this way due to the A and B channels or single and dual channel, There is a YouTuber that goes by "Actual Hardcore OverClocking" and he goes in depth a bunch about memory ranks and channels and has a bunch of videos already made about them, and why install this way, and this is better for that, and why this isn't good for that etc etc, great channel for memory and of course overclocking, and basically everything computer, but in a more in depth granular knowledge/how and why does this so and so pc part or memory work this way. So really just thought for you and future readers just a for your information comment.
-John
The board just has a broken B-Channel,that why they both sticks are in the a-channel...

System Name "The black one in the dining room" / "The Latest One"
Processor Intel Xeon E5 2683 V4 16c/32t / i7 14700K @5.8GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe / ASRock Z790 Steel Legend WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/4 Silverstone FM121 fans / Arctic LF II 280 w Silverstone FHP141's
Memory 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 (8x8) / 96GB G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 1080 Ti FTW3 / Asus Tuff OC 4090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 1TB Samsung 860, 4 Western Digital 2TB / 1tb, SK hynix P41 Platinum 2tb
Display(s) 43" Samsung 8000 series 4K / 50" Vizio M-series 4K
Case Modded Corsair Carbide 500R / Modded Corsair Graphite 780 T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II/ Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i / Seasonic Prime GX-1300
Mouse Logitech Performance MX, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 3.0
Keyboard Logitech K750 Solar, DiNovo Edge
Software Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 IoT / Win 11 Pro for Workstations 22H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=202122048229
Another Rampage IV Extreme tragedy: This evening I was in the area of the guy who has an Asus ROG Rampage V Edition 10 I want to buy and paid him a visit. He said he still hasn't located it but showed me the special sound panel exclusive to the Edition 10. Then he said he had some other boards for sale. One was a P8Z77-V Deluxe and I already have one with a 3770K in it. Then he handed me what at first appeared to be a mint Rampage IV Extreme. Upon closer inspection the CPU cover was missing and it has at least 5 areas of bent pins in the CPU socket. I literally wanted to cry.

I asked him how all of those pins got bent, he claims it came back from a ASUS RMA repair like that. Whatever the actual reality of how the damage happened it's heartbreaking to see. I've successfully straightened bent LGA pins before but this one is far beyond my level of expertise. I hope the X99 Edition 10 hasn't suffered a similar fate. On the good side of things my Sabertooth X79/E5 1680 V2 is still functioning flawlessly.

May the current asus extreme IV is kidding, one pin is missing, I found a replacement
Asus rampage IV extreme + 1680v2 for 200e. My memory is not something special, so I'm looking for 2800mhz modules

Processor E5-1680 V2
Motherboard Rampage IV black
Video Card(s) Asrock 7900 xtx
Storage 500 gb sd
Software windows 10 64 bit
Benchmark Scores 29,433 3dmark06 score
Hello all!

I hope you’re having a good summer/winter depending on what part of the world you’re in! I have been using a tablet I got a few months back and haven’t even fired up my old or new pc due to it being “enough” to check emails etc I still check in and read your stuff just fyi. I’m hoping my 12900k is a good overclocker and with a high end ddr4 board and 5000 mhz ram I can get some impressive bandwidth even if I can’t get to where ddr5 can go. I’m hopefully moving my old and/or new pc in with my fiancé in next couple days so I can play around with them and get the components from last year together :peace::sleep:

Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/4 Silverstone FM121 fans / Arctic LF II 280 w Silverstone FHP141's
Memory 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 (8x8) / 96GB G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6400
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 1TB Samsung 860, 4 Western Digital 2TB / 1tb, SK hynix P41 Platinum 2tb
Benchmark Scores https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=202122048229
I may be getting that damaged Rampage IV Extreme for free to see if I can get it working. I just talked to the guy and it may well happen soon. I have my fingers crossed.

Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
Hi all! Lot of personal shit going on and was mostly good but busy till a few months ago, my fiancé has breast cancer and is having a double mastectomy and family is doing best we can but it really sucks tbh. Surgery is this thursday and she only found it late March/April and it’s seemingly highly treatable and though aggressive was caught fairly early and prognosis seems to be good just fyi. I don’t use acronyms much but seem to be cropping up more and more in my writing as I deal with teenagers :). Anyway just a heads up and I know it’s way off topic but we’re human first and hardware aficionado’s second.

I’m not doing totally fantastic with it though I’m doing my best and just ask for prayers and the Lord’s strength to get through this, I know some of you may not have my religious beliefs/backgrounds and that’s fine I just have this thread and any other place I share my feelings family/etc will see it and this is more of a safe/anonymous group of friends I can vent to in a relatively “safe space” for lack of a better term to use.

Sorry if this is TMI (speaking of acronyms) but good news is prognosis seems good and ALSO that this will give me some time to put my 12900k system together and will be a good distraction as well as something to fill the time as I am with her and she recuperates and needs my hand with things.

Hope you all are well and if you got anything to post about hardware or otherwise, feel free!

Hi all! Lot of personal shit going on and was mostly good but busy till a few months ago, my fiancé has breast cancer and is having a double mastectomy and family is doing best we can but it really sucks tbh. Surgery is this thursday and she only found it late March/April and it’s seemingly highly treatable and though aggressive was caught fairly early and prognosis seems to be good just fyi. I don’t use acronyms much but seem to be cropping up more and more in my writing as I deal with teenagers :). Anyway just a heads up and I know it’s way off topic but we’re human first and hardware aficionado’s second.

I’m not doing totally fantastic with it though I’m doing my best and just ask for prayers and the Lord’s strength to get through this, I know some of you may not have my religious beliefs/backgrounds and that’s fine I just have this thread and any other place I share my feelings family/etc will see it and this is more of a safe/anonymous group of friends I can vent to in a relatively “safe space” for lack of a better term to use.

Sorry if this is TMI (speaking of acronyms) but good news is prognosis seems good and ALSO that this will give me some time to put my 12900k system together and will be a good distraction as well as something to fill the time as I am with her and she recuperates and needs my hand with things.

Hope you all are well and if you got anything to post about hardware or otherwise, feel free!
Also a side note I have some hardware I want to sell and was thinking of going onto ebay, the forum here etc, but I’ll give you guys first dibs so if any of you have any needs let me know…

Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
Again if anyone is interested in any hardware I have a fair amount :). Doing a bit better today just got home while ago from dropping off fiancé at surgery…she just texted me after a pre op procedure and was just being seen by the anaesthesia person to put her under. Will update after it’s done and I have more info! Thanks for listening.

Best wishes for your fiancee, as a stage IV cancer patient myself I know the territory a bit too well. I go in next month to find out where it's spread to in my body (test results two months ago weren't good). Hopefully the surgery gets rid of it for good with her.

Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
Best wishes for your fiancee, as a stage IV cancer patient myself I know the territory a bit too well. I go in next month to find out where it's spread to in my body (test results two months ago weren't good). Hopefully the surgery gets rid of it for good with her.
Boo... To cancer. Sorry mate that sucks! I really hope you have good treatment options and next months results are more promising. We had appointment today and so far so good but no toxicology results which will determine if chemo and/or radiation is necessary. Hang in there Bobby we need many more bench marking posts from you!