• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X800 GTO² to X850 XT BIOS Mod

BlackPearl

Goof Off or other xylene-based cleaners also work very well (and are also recommended by Arctic Silver). Those cleaners can be purchased at any hardware or home improvement store so they may be easier to find. I think that rubbing alcohol contains too much water to be very effective. BTW, when I removed my HSF there was hardly any compound on my RAM and a large gob on the GPU - quickly applied, I guess.

ShadowFlare

Processor Athlon 64 Venice 3200+ 2.0 GHz, max 2.6 GHz with Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Motherboard EpoX 9NPA+Ultra nForce4 Ultra with Zalman ZM-NB47J
Cooling All Zalman heatsinks (CNPS7000B-AlCu, ZM-NB47J, VF700-Cu)
Memory 1 GB (2x512 MB) DDR400 Corsair XMS C2 series, max 233 MHz @ 2-3-2-9 1T
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon X800GTO2 256 MB PCIe max 540/600, modded to 16 pipes
Storage Seagate 80GB SATA, Maxtor 160GB PATA, Maxtor 200GB PATA
Display(s) Dell 17" Trinitron CRT
Case Lian Li PC-60B Plus
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek chip
Power Supply Enermax Noisetaker EG495AX-VE, 485 watts, active PFC
Software Windows XP Pro SP2, Windows XP Pro x64, Windows Vista RC1 32-bit
I noticed that you said it booted 2 out of 3 times then refused to boot afterwards. It's possible that maybe you didn't get good contact between the gpu and the heatsink and your gpu is burned out... Did you check to see if it was making good contact with it or not?

U

Unregistered

ShadowFlare said:
I noticed that you said it booted 2 out of 3 times then refused to boot afterwards. It's possible that maybe you didn't get good contact between the gpu and the heatsink and your gpu is burned out... Did you check to see if it was making good contact with it or not?
This is what I'm worried about =/
Hence why I removed the entire thing.

Trevor

Oops, that was me above.
ANyway, that's what I'm worried about.
Probably a bit more than 2... it was just an issue with my HDD.
If it did fry, I think I'll be able to RMA it (just stick the old stuff back on...)
As I still have my 30 day OEM warranty.
Going to buy some thermaltape/grease/etc. now...
--Trevor

U

Unregistered

That's probably why the price dropped to 199 again--They were intending to bring it up to 299, but a typo?

Dr.D

Pentium D said:
I got mine from newegg for $199

Yeah First it was 229.99 (I think) then 199.99 then it went of of stock and the page was "disabled". Now its back at 299

That pisses me off, I dont know if I am ever gonna get this card

R

RobP4P

Agp Version From Computerhq??

Ok, someone asked a few posts back what the difference was between part number 100131 and 100130 that most of you have been getting. Did anyone else notice that computerHQ is claiming to have an AGP VERSION of the GTO2???

Is this for real? I think I might have to take a chance on this...

R

RobP4P

Agp Gto2

well, I just took a chance and ordered one of the agp versions. I'll keep you all posted if the agp version works anything like the pci-e has been for everyone else!

U

Unregistered

Yea I just purchased an AGP version of it from excaliberpc and there is actually a description of it. I'll also update as I get it and such.

U

Unregistered

Trevor said:
Scratch that, did a quick hack-job on it =) Installing the rest of the cooler now.

Can you explain what part didn't fit and how you fixed it? I'm planning on getting a Zalman too with my GTO2.

U

Unregistered

the ram sinks didnt fit so he just cut a little bit off the end to get it to fit, it wont affect the performance so dont worry, the zalman vf700 is the best cooler imo.

HousERaT

Processor Q6700
Motherboard Asus Maximus Formula
Cooling Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Ballistix Tracer 8500
Video Card(s) HD 3870 Crossfire
Storage 74G Raptor
Display(s) A Sony big one
Case Kingwin SK523
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software Yes :p
Dr.D said:
Actally I did some reasearch and that was on revision 1, not revision 2
sorry it took so long to respond to this..... actually I have a revision 2, well that's what it said on the package.

U

Unregistered

Ulocked Connect x800GTO

Just to let people know that I too have managed to unlock the full 16 pipes on this card.

R423 core

U

Unregistered

I want to run my X800_GTO2 as X850XT speed Full time instead of open ATI Tool everytime I reboot my computer.

Can I just flash it to X850_XT or X850_XTPE?
(of course with non-VIVO one, if there is.)

Trevor

Ok... so, I need thermal tape for the ramsinks.. anyone know where I can buy it, pref. locally? (I.e., what kind've stores might have it..)

Someone said to just use scotch tape, but that sounded absurd, to say the least.

BlackPearl

You should be able to find thermal interface tape/pads in any computer store with component-level products since they are replacements for the material used on OEM coolers on old Intel and AMD processors. Locally I've bought at Fry's where they have .75" and 1.5" widths. Or you can order from the manufacturer of your ramsinks.

As for whoever proposed scotch tape :nutkick:

U

Unregistered

SSID mismatch on Sapphire GTO2

Hi;

I got the Sapphire X800GTO2 'Retail Lite' version. If I try to flash up to 16 pipes (using Sapphire.X800GTO2_16p.Samsung16.bin and flashrom16) I get:

BIOS DEVID= 0x5D4F
ASIC DEVID= 0x5D4F
Exsisting SSID= 0x1600
New SSID= 0x0302

and says I would need to force the flash.

Is it supposed to do this? (the article doesn't mention needing to 'force' the flash). I don't see anyone else mentioning this problem flashing their GTO2 cards.

Is this because it's a 'retail' instead of EOM card? Is it safe to force the flash?

Thanks;

R

RobP4P

mod BIOS for AGP?

Is the modified BIOS shown in the guide for PCI-E only? Is there any difference between the BIOS for AGP and PCI-E? If so, any idea what to do for the AGP version?

P

Psxcrazy

my case runs extremly hot with new card

loving the gto2 but my case gets awfly warm and i cant get the card to overclock past 500 540 without there being artifacts i have to keep my fans cranked and 100% just to keep my case at about 45c while playing a game i just dont understand why i cant overclock higher i tried ocing it with a house fan right on the card and still no luck could it be cause i bout a sony pc i still get a decent score on 3d mark of 5700

U

Unregistered

RobP4P said:
Is the modified BIOS shown in the guide for PCI-E only? Is there any difference between the BIOS for AGP and PCI-E? If so, any idea what to do for the AGP version?

am curious regarding this also...

ShadowFlare

Processor Athlon 64 Venice 3200+ 2.0 GHz, max 2.6 GHz with Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Motherboard EpoX 9NPA+Ultra nForce4 Ultra with Zalman ZM-NB47J
Cooling All Zalman heatsinks (CNPS7000B-AlCu, ZM-NB47J, VF700-Cu)
Memory 1 GB (2x512 MB) DDR400 Corsair XMS C2 series, max 233 MHz @ 2-3-2-9 1T
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon X800GTO2 256 MB PCIe max 540/600, modded to 16 pipes
Storage Seagate 80GB SATA, Maxtor 160GB PATA, Maxtor 200GB PATA
Display(s) Dell 17" Trinitron CRT
Case Lian Li PC-60B Plus
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek chip
Power Supply Enermax Noisetaker EG495AX-VE, 485 watts, active PFC
Software Windows XP Pro SP2, Windows XP Pro x64, Windows Vista RC1 32-bit
I say you probably shouldn't try the modified bios on the agp version. Instead follow the instructions I posted earlier. That will basically make your own modified bios with 16 pipelines. :) If you want, you could even save the 16 pipeline bios after you are done.