1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X800 PRO VIVO mod to XT PE question

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by KlouD, Apr 25, 2005.

1. KlouD New Member

Thanks Received:
    hello, i've been reading these forums for a while now and before i ask my question i just wanted to say that i have learned alot from you guys and thank you for all the info found here. ok now my question, i just baught a Sapphire x800 pro vivo its oem thow and i was not successfull in modding it to an XT PE and i was just wondering if it being oem is the reason?

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. TheGoog New Member

Thanks Received:
    When you said the flash wasnt succesful.... what happened? Just curious because my card is OEM as well, and I cant get it to work properly at all now.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    All OEM means is that there's no box or warrenty. It's the same card that would ship as retail. One thing you could try is to flash using the 16 pipeline x800 Pro bios and then manually overclock.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. KlouD New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks for the reply, but sadley i have tried doing that too and it did the same thing only the ati 16pp enabled bios dosent work so i had to use the gigabyte bios and flash back trick. my problem is that after flash to the new bios (XT PE or 16pp enabled) it loads windows then installs the XT PE driver (when flashing XT PE bios) then screen gose black and restarts my comp. I get the same result when i flash the 16pp enabled bios or gigabyte trick. I prety much stumped now.

for a more detailed acount of my problem here is a link to my post on anoter thread:
    http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?p=17737#post17737

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. hereticc New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got the same problem:
    I get a black/blank screen when the card gets recognized
    I tried a lot of different BIOS, all gave the the same problem
    But i do have a normal screen when i remove my drivers, but when the drivers get installed its the black screen again
    It just hangs when the screen goes flashing,it doesnt return to windows...

Is it possible that the card has some kind of lock?

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Cally New Member

Thanks Received:
    I own a Sapphire X800 Pro card retail box. I tried over the weekend to do the x800 pro to x800xt pe mod. While the flashing worked ok, playing games did not. I ended up reflashing to the x800xt bios and the card runs well.
    Before I did any flashing I used ATI Tool and increased the GPU fan speed to 100%. That way after flashing the cooling fan would try to keep the new speeds of the core and mem cooler.
    What I found out on my card was that the core was not able to run over 510.75 but the memory could run as high as 570. Did you try to check using ATI Tool to see how much of an increase your cards core/mem would do?
    It is possible while the flashing goes ok the card just can't handle the new speeds and crashes. I have read on other forums now that other owners are reporting the same problem the core just won't do the PE speeds. This could be what is happening to you , not sure but it is worth checking out. Let us know what you find out?

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Weigy104 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have had the exact sam problem with my cores speed and i thought i was the only 1. lol. But i have been told on my threads about this to do the pencil volt mod. Some ppl are thinking that we cant get these speeds because we are not getting the right amount of voltage that we should get plus after the volt mod you can get 585 on core stable on air cooling ;) i fyou want to do the voltmod this site has a great guide on how to do it. not sure where it is on here but i can find it on google. ;)

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Cally New Member

Thanks Received:

I think for me I am just going to keep the card as it is. I am using it on a spare computer that I don't use that often now. I am not very skilled at these things and am afraid I would screw up the vmod if I tried it. If I sent it off to be modded the cost would be more than the card is currently worth when I add the card cost to it. Year after next I will more than likely make the move to PCI-e and all this money spent will be wasted. You won't be able to sell AGP cards after next year I bet. So as much as I would like to do the vmod it just seems not possible for me. If you try It I wish you good luck.

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. TheGoog New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I have the same 'blank screen' problem when installing the drivers when I ahve it flashed to XT PE or Pro, so i'm pretty sure its nothing to do with temps.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. Cally New Member

Thanks Received:
    Kloud after you have the new bios flashed and you are in the process of rebooting do you go into Safe mode by pressing F8? If you do that go to the control panel and remove the drivers, then reboot going into safe mode again and use driver cleaner pro to remove any of the old drivers left behind from the previous removal process. Once you have done that reboot again into Windows. It will try to install new hardware but cancel out twice it will try. Once your computer settles down reinstall the drivers again.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. hereticc New Member

Thanks Received:
    that doesnt work, the screen just keeps black when the card gets recognized

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. KlouD New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ya I hate to admit it but I have givin up on it, I also just tried that suggestion with nothing good to report. Thanks for the idea though.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. hereticc New Member

Thanks Received:
    well i got 520/1120 (XT PE) speeds stable, so i'm happy for now :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. icywater New Member

Thanks Received:
    My card got the same symptom KlouD and hereticc. I think the disabled quad is dead, which result in black screen. I gave up on it too.

My card now run at 640MHz core and 590 mem (12 pipes) I get 6153 in 3D 05. So i am happy.

10 Year Member at TPU