• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X800 Pro VIVO to XT PE Bios Mod

U

Unregistered

Hello, I just ordered an Sapphire Atlantis x800 pro vivo but I see it has 2.0ns memory. Can I flash it with an xt pe bios which has 1.6ns memory or what should I do?

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Unregistered said:
Hello, I just ordered an Sapphire Atlantis x800 pro vivo but I see it has 2.0ns memory. Can I flash it with an xt pe bios which has 1.6ns memory or what should I do?

If it's a VIVO you should be able to use the 16pipe pro BIOS... backup the original one first. You could try the Sapphire XT Bios 500\500 ....

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
ThreeNil,

Some cards need a shot to get to the XT PE speeds via a voltmod. I thought most would do the XT BIOS of 500/500... did you use a XT BIOS or PE BIOS ? Still nice to have the 16pipes though :D

U

Unregistered

Could I also flash it with the XT PE and put the speeds back to 500/500 or maybe 520/520 or is that not possible?

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Unregistered said:
Could I also flash it with the XT PE and put the speeds back to 500/500 or maybe 520/520 or is that not possible?

You can flash it with the PE BIOS and use a BIOS editor to change the default speeds... you're a little handicapped with the 2.0ns memory... you can use ATITool to change the settings for memory so the timings aren't as tight... I would go with one of the XT BIOS first at 500\500 and work from there ... find what the card likes and where it tops out at... take your time

ThreeNiL

Urlyin said:
ThreeNil,

Some cards need a shot to get to the XT PE speeds via a voltmod. I thought most would do the XT BIOS of 500/500... did you use a XT BIOS or PE BIOS ? Still nice to have the 16pipes though :D

I orignally was using the ATI XT PE BIOS. I then flashed to the Sapphire and Connect3D regular XT versions. Something really strange is that with the Pro 16P BIOS I am using now, I can overclock to XT speeds and be fairly stable. I get one artifact after several minutes on the artifact checker. As with the XT PE and regular XT BIOS at 500/500, I couldnt even go more than 10 seconds without getting tons of artifacts.

Im not too disappointed, I got the pipes open and overclocking to 500/500 I can get 3DMARK03 scores over 11,500.

Thats good enough to play Doom and HL2 at the upper settings. Thats all I was looking for.

EDIT:
As for a voltmod, I came in with this card with the attitude that if I could flash it to an XT, great.. but if there was any hard modding neccessary, I would pass. Besides, when I was doing some tests at the 520/560 clocks, It was running smoking hot with 70+C load temps. With my current settings,
I dont even top 55* at full load. (stock HSF)

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
ThreeNiL said:
I orignally was using the ATI XT PE BIOS. I then flashed to the Sapphire and Connect3D regular XT versions. Something really strange is that with the Pro 16P BIOS I am using now, I can overclock to XT speeds and be fairly stable. I get one artifact after several minutes on the artifact checker. As with the XT PE and regular XT BIOS at 500/500, I couldnt even go more than 10 seconds without getting tons of artifacts.

Im not too disappointed, I got the pipes open and overclocking to 500/500 I can get 3DMARK03 scores over 11,500.

Thats good enough to play Doom and HL2 at the upper settings. Thats all I was looking for.

EDIT:
As for a voltmod, I came in with this card with the attitude that if I could flash it to an XT, great.. but if there was any hard modding neccessary, I would pass. Besides, when I was doing some tests at the 520/560 clocks, It was running smoking hot with 70+C load temps. With my current settings,
I dont even top 55* at full load. (stock HSF)

What you look for is lock ups and artifacts in games... ATItool will show artifacts way sooner than in any highres game... Do some back to back benchmarks or play your favorite game for some length of time ... as for the temps, obviously lower is better but the GPU is rated above 90c , so 70c isn't a big issue. If you have a well vented case it should be fine ... just running like you are is fine as long as you're happy, enjoy the speed :D

ThreeNiL

Urlyin said:
What you look for is lock ups and artifacts in games... ATItool will show artifacts way sooner than in any highres game... Do some back to back benchmarks or play your favorite game for some length of time ... as for the temps, obviously lower is better but the GPU is rated above 90c , so 70c isn't a big issue. If you have a well vented case it should be fine ... just running like you are is fine as long as you're happy, enjoy the speed :D

With the 520/560 settings and XT PE BIOS, I was getting some artifacts in the Trolls Lair game part of 3DMark03. I imagine I can get slightly better than XT speeds with this card but not quite 520/560. So it isnt as bad an OCer as I thought, it just didnt like the BIOS I was throwing at it. I can live with only XT speeds.. hehe

:)

J

JJF007

Weird blocks after enabling 16 Pipelines

Hi!

I patched the bios from my Sapphire X800 Pro VIVO with the X800XT PE (ATI and Sapphire), even with the X800 Pro 16p Bios from the download Page. But everytime i have strange blocks over the screen.

I removed all Drivers, installed Catalyst 4.12 with no luck. Then the included from Sapphire - even no luck. With ATITool it runs perfect with 520/560 (even higher), but when i enable the 16 Pipelines (tried the X800 Pro 16p Bios too) i get this blocks you can see on the screenshot. Someone seen this before. I think that some of the disabled Pipelines are broken. I get the same blocks (not wild mixed over the screen, just like a nice build mask with same sized rects and the same space between them) when starting a DirectX Game (HL2 / Lord of the Rings).

<a href="http://jjf007.funpic.de/x800_blocks.htm">Screenshot</a>

Any help would be great. If someone can proofe that it is a Pipeline Problem it would be great too.

U

Unregistered

JJF007 said:
Hi!

I patched the bios from my Sapphire X800 Pro VIVO with the X800XT PE (ATI and Sapphire), even with the X800 Pro 16p Bios from the download Page. But everytime i have strange blocks over the screen.

I removed all Drivers, installed Catalyst 4.12 with no luck. Then the included from Sapphire - even no luck. With ATITool it runs perfect with 520/560 (even higher), but when i enable the 16 Pipelines (tried the X800 Pro 16p Bios too) i get this blocks you can see on the screenshot. Someone seen this before. I think that some of the disabled Pipelines are broken. I get the same blocks (not wild mixed over the screen, just like a nice build mask with same sized rects and the same space between them) when starting a DirectX Game (HL2 / Lord of the Rings).

<a href="http://jjf007.funpic.de/x800_blocks.htm">Screenshot</

Any help would be great. If someone can proofe that it is a Pipeline Problem it would be great too.

It's not a pipe problem ... make sure your're not loading any profiles from atitool and use drivercleaner3 to remove all the drivers and reinstall. Have you tried to go back to the original BIOS?

U

Unregistered

Unregistered said:
Hallo Wizzard,

wie ich sehe bist du aus Deutschland, ich hoffe du kannst mir meine Frage beantworten.

Ich bekomme diese Woche noch eine HIS X800 Pro geliefert, kann ich die mit deiner Methode auch zu einer XT PE hoch"patchen"?

Ich denke schon, es steht ja zumindest hier in deinem Artikel, aber sage mir Bitte, man hat mir schon Hilfe bei dem BIOS flashen usw angeboten, dieses Verfahren für das man Disketten benötigt usw, leider ist mir dies nicht sehr geheuer ...

Ist deine Methode einfacher und löscht man damit nicht sein Normales BIOS? In meinem Falle ein MSI BIOS?

Lieben Gruß, Sven.

Hallo Sven

habe eben meine Asus X800Pro VIVO gepatcht, funktioniert gut. Wie beschrieben, eine Bootdisk ziehen, mit dem Flashtool dein derzeitiges Bios speichern. Dann das passende Bios von der Biosseite flashen und ab sofort hast Du eine XT PE.

Wichtig, Deine MSI Karte muss eine VIVO also Video In und Out sein, nur dann klappt es!

Gruss
Adrian

U

Unregistered

Hello

works fine with my Asus X800 Pro VIVO :)

Now I have a full XT PE an save 100$

Adrian

S

Sarek

Does this modification work with all x800 pro vivo cards? Or just with a special brand?

I want to buy an MSI or Asus x800 Pro Vivo and want to know if all x800 pro can be used for the mod
;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Sarek said:
Does this modification work with all x800 pro vivo cards? Or just with a special brand?

I want to buy an MSI or Asus x800 Pro Vivo and want to know if all x800 pro can be used for the mod
;)

So far Sarek to the best of my knowledge all VIVO have modded to at least a 16 pipe pro or XT...

U

Unregistered

Asus x800PRO/VIVO TVD

For those who care:

Have an Asus X800PRO VIVO TVD which flashed to 16pipes fine, and OC's stable to 520/560 under ATITool, using Omega drivers.

Very happy!

J

JJF007

Unregistered said:
It's not a pipe problem ... make sure your're not loading any profiles from atitool and use drivercleaner3 to remove all the drivers and reinstall. Have you tried to go back to the original BIOS?

Hello!

I got back to the original BIOS and everything works fine. I tried this on two systems (the other one had a NVIDIA before). I will try drivercleaner3 to remove all the drivers.

Regards

Matthias

J

JJF007

Well, removed all drivers with DriverCleaner3, but after installing the latest Drivers the blocks appeared again. I had no ATITool installed.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
JJF007 said:
Well, removed all drivers with DriverCleaner3, but after installing the latest Drivers the blocks appeared again. I had no ATITool installed.

That's strange .... worked fine then re-installed drivers caused the blocks to return? Are you using cat 4.12 or OEM drivers from the card manufacture? Did you reflash the card or is it still the original BIOS?

J

JJF007

Urlyin said:
That's strange .... worked fine then re-installed drivers caused the blocks to return? Are you using cat 4.12 or OEM drivers from the card manufacture? Did you reflash the card or is it still the original BIOS?

Yes, thats very strange :(

I removed the old drivers from Software Panel. Then flashed the BIOS with the Sapphire X800 XT PE Bios from the Bios Page (tried the original from ATI and the 16pipe enabled X800 Pro before, but not after DriverCleaner3). After that i started into Safe Mode while removing all Drivers with DriverCleaner3. Started Win XP and installed the drivers. Then restartet Win, without blocks. The first time, the Login Screen looks fine, but after loading the Desktop the blocks appear. If i restart Win the second weird is, that i have this blocks at the login screen!

Don't know if i should reinstall Win XP, because i had the same blocks on another System where was a NVIDIA Card was installed before and no NVIDIA ever. But i didn't use DriverCleaner3 on this System.

U

Unregistered

Urlyin said:

Sorry, forgot that i installed the current Catalyst drivers from ati.com

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
JJF007 said:
Yes, thats very strange :(

I removed the old drivers from Software Panel. Then flashed the BIOS with the Sapphire X800 XT PE Bios from the Bios Page (tried the original from ATI and the 16pipe enabled X800 Pro before, but not after DriverCleaner3). After that i started into Safe Mode while removing all Drivers with DriverCleaner3. Started Win XP and installed the drivers. Then restartet Win, without blocks. The first time, the Login Screen looks fine, but after loading the Desktop the blocks appear. If i restart Win the second weird is, that i have this blocks at the login screen!

Don't know if i should reinstall Win XP, because i had the same blocks on another System where was a NVIDIA Card was installed before and no NVIDIA ever. But i didn't use DriverCleaner3 on this System.

So as long as you use your original BIOS everything is fine, right? Now my assumption is all VIVIO have 1.6ns memory and I assume your VIVO does correct? If the blocks appear on both systems then obviously it's in the card. Especially if it works fine with the original BIOS. Have you tried one of the XT BIOS? Not an XT PE BIOS ... If the XT BIOS does not work I would RMA the card. It should be able to handle the 500/500 speeds of an XT. But remember since ATI introduced the XT the waffers for the Pro VIVO are of a lesser quality ...

J

JJF007

Urlyin said:
So as long as you use your original BIOS everything is fine, right? Now my assumption is all VIVIO have 1.6ns memory and I assume your VIVO does correct? If the blocks appear on both systems then obviously it's in the card. Especially if it works fine with the original BIOS. Have you tried one of the XT BIOS? Not an XT PE BIOS ... If the XT BIOS does not work I would RMA the card. It should be able to handle the 500/500 speeds of an XT. But remember since ATI introduced the XT the waffers for the Pro VIVO are of a lesser quality ...

Hi!

Yes, the card has 1.6ns memory. I tried the Sapphire XT PE Bios and the original from ATI (XT PE), even with the patched 16 Pipes opened X800 Pro Bios! With ATITool i can extend the speed over XT PE spezifications without any problems, so this isn't the problem. I think its something with the card, because when i try to capture with the TV In i have huge color bumbing / flickering from a VCR (which works fine with a USB MPEG Encoder).

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
JJF ... there are XT BIOS and then there is the XT PE BIOS... different clock speeds. Your Pro may not be able to handle the XT PE clocks .... try a XT only BIOS ... the 16pipe pro BIOS does not work with all cards ... But like you said it can handle the speeds of a PE ... if you still have an issue after using the XT only BIOS .. then RMA it ..

truevader

Saphire X800 Pro ViVo with GC20

Hello guys!

This is the knowledge i collected so far reading through all those threads and forums etc.:

1. No matter what manufacturer, you should be able to mod a X800 Pro VIVO card so that it runs with 16 pipes. Is that correct?

2. What bios / or what clock speeds it will be able to handle later on, depends how good GPU and mem you have on your card. right?

3. In other Forums i read though, that the card MUST HAVE Samsung 1.6ns on it, in the bios collection it says Saphire X800 Pro VIVO´s do have the Samsung 1.6ns on them. But mine has GC20, i think that means 2.0ns chips on it. Does that mean probably my card is some kind of "protected" and i wont be able to do anything now? or will i at least be able to unlock the 4 other pipes?

4. If by messing with these Bios flashes etc. your card breaks into two parts, you still own the 2 parts, is that correct? :) but you most probably cannot RMA it anymore hehe

Thank you very much your help is very appreciated!

U

Unregistered

I had Serious problems with my Sapphire X800 Pro VIVO. I have the 1.6 memory and first overclocked the card to 520/560 and ran 3DMark to make sure it was stable at those speeds, no problems. I flashed with gvf11 as the flash program and r80x256v.f1 for the bios. I then had 16 pipes and more artifacts than you can shake a stick at!!! Lowering the clocks using ATI Tool had no effect on the artifacts. Temps are not bad. I flashed back to my "backup" bios and it's still had 16 pipes and all the artifacts. I also used Flashrom to use Sapphires original bios linked on this site, I still could not get back to 12 pipes!

I also read somewhere where the the Catalyst Control Center Drivers caused a problem like this for one user, but where uninstalling the CCC drivers and going to the Control Panel version seemed to get rid of his artifacts, I was not so lucky!

It's was so bad that I had to drop from 32bit to 16bit color just so I didn't have artifacts on my desktop and text!!! So, imagine what Far Cry looked like!

Finally, I used the "Modified Flashrom" to flash the "empty.bin" that I found on this site, and all is again well at 12 pipes!

Now, the question is do you think my cards extra pipes are bad, or was it the Gigabyte Bios? The modified flashrom allows flashing to any Bios, so I could try another one.
Ha, yes I like living on the edge! What do you think?

My card overclocks very well as a True X800 Pro Vivo;
Core up to 585 before having any problems, and a max temp of 64c
Memory up to 570 before any problems.

So the clocks are not a problem... I think it must be the Bios I flashed to, or bad pipe.

Thoughts?