• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X800 Pro VIVO to XT PE Bios Mod

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
MonGalak said:
thanks Urlyin.
My os is wxp pro. i already uninstall catalyst from the add and remove programs then i use drivercleaner. This evening, i reinstall directx.
I have a question: under catalyst 4.11, i have no problems with atitool when i use find max core and find max mem (531 -573 no artefact) then why direct3d games don't fonction ?
Hi MonGalak,
This behavior can occur if any of the following conditions is true:
• Your monitor is not configured correctly.
• Another program has locked the display resolution of your monitor.
• The video driver installed on the computer is incompatible with Microsoft DirectX.
• The video driver installed on the computer does not support a color palette higher than 256 colors.
• The video adapter installed in the computer does not meet the minimum requirements to run the game.
• DirectDraw or Direct3d are disabled in DxDiag.
From Microsoft Article Q229998
More info to check
310353 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP
179113 How to Download and Install DirectX

I

Ikasu

question

Before I say anything I Want to apologize for all the questions that are gonna be on this post..I have a lot on my mind to get sorted out and I'm hoping you guys can help me out..^_^

Well..My current pc just died on me...Motherboard/cpu problems but I've decided to upgrade my computer instead of buying replacement parts for a agp system. I was just hoping to get some information reguarding this..

Graphic card wise I'm planning on transfering over to a x800 xt..Is there even a difference between platinum edition and the plain XT? I was trying to get my hands on the Asus x800 XT platinum edition card but after reading reviews is it even worth the extra 100 or so dollars? Also, What's the difference between the Ati 800XT/Platinum Edition to the Asus models?..If there isn't a big difference besides gaming packages? I'll probably just go with a ATI model if there isn't a difference but I wanna find out before I Start purchasing parts...

ATM I "had" a MSI Neo-Fis2r motherboard with a 3 gighz northwood cpu (800 fsb) and a 9800 pro...I'm probably going to be buying a Asus 915 or 925 chipset mobo and a 3.2 gigahertz prescott cpu...Am I going with the right type of hardware or (more related on prescott vs northwood)?...also which of the asus motherboards are actually worth buying?

Intel 925X = P5AD2 Premium | P5AD2 Deluxe
Intel 915P = P5GD2 Premium | P5GD2 Deluxe

God I feel like a jackass with so many questions...But about ram...ATM I have 2 gigs pc3200 400 mhz dual channel value ram from kingston...I bought them when I didn't know much about ram but now I'm going to be buying top quality ram. I was taking a look at Corsair and I was trying to figure out what's their BEST ram for 533 mhz Dual Channel DDR2?...I was looking at their chips and they said that some of their stuff has been tested to operate at 538 mhz and one of them says 675...I'm just trying to get 533 ram..but top of the line...that site has REALLY confused me and if anyone could comment on which is the best ram to go with that would be nice..^_^..Once again I apologize for all the questions...Just trying to get my thoughts sorted out on what to go with and what to not buy.

once again sorry about all the questions....especially the fact that most of these questions are off topic..>_<..sorry!..lol..=D

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Ikasu said:
Before I say anything I Want to apologize for all the questions that are gonna be on this post..I have a lot on my mind to get sorted out and I'm hoping you guys can help me out..^_^

Well..My current pc just died on me...Motherboard/cpu problems but I've decided to upgrade my computer instead of buying replacement parts for a agp system. I was just hoping to get some information reguarding this..

Graphic card wise I'm planning on transfering over to a x800 xt..Is there even a difference between platinum edition and the plain XT? I was trying to get my hands on the Asus x800 XT platinum edition card but after reading reviews is it even worth the extra 100 or so dollars? Also, What's the difference between the Ati 800XT/Platinum Edition to the Asus models?..If there isn't a big difference besides gaming packages? I'll probably just go with a ATI model if there isn't a difference but I wanna find out before I Start purchasing parts...

ATM I "had" a MSI Neo-Fis2r motherboard with a 3 gighz northwood cpu (800 fsb) and a 9800 pro...I'm probably going to be buying a Asus 915 or 925 chipset mobo and a 3.2 gigahertz prescott cpu...Am I going with the right type of hardware or (more related on prescott vs northwood)?...also which of the asus motherboards are actually worth buying?

Intel 925X = P5AD2 Premium | P5AD2 Deluxe
Intel 915P = P5GD2 Premium | P5GD2 Deluxe

God I feel like a jackass with so many questions...But about ram...ATM I have 2 gigs pc3200 400 mhz dual channel value ram from kingston...I bought them when I didn't know much about ram but now I'm going to be buying top quality ram. I was taking a look at Corsair and I was trying to figure out what's their BEST ram for 533 mhz Dual Channel DDR2?...I was looking at their chips and they said that some of their stuff has been tested to operate at 538 mhz and one of them says 675...I'm just trying to get 533 ram..but top of the line...that site has REALLY confused me and if anyone could comment on which is the best ram to go with that would be nice..^_^..Once again I apologize for all the questions...Just trying to get my thoughts sorted out on what to go with and what to not buy.

once again sorry about all the questions....especially the fact that most of these questions are off topic..>_<..sorry!..lol..=D

LOL... yep that's alot of questions ... I'm not 100% sure of the difference between the two ASUS boards, both use the 775 socket. They both have PCI express and DDR2, but what I find confusing is they both offer HyperPath which I thought was ASUS (Intel) PAT. They offer or state the P5AD2 has Intel Pat and Hyperpath. Of course they have different chipsets. Anyway for the money you may be better off going AMD64 say a 3700 or FX53. I don't lean either way so I'm not trying to start a debate on Intel or AMD. If you're sure you want to go ASUS then take the P5AD2.

Don't get caught up in the 533 ram thing, I'm getting better performance at 1:1 which is 400mhz out of my OCZ PC4000 than I do at 500 or 533. It limits my FSB depending upon which setting I use. That's just my opinion though, you'll get better bandwidth at 500 or 533. I would reconsider getting DDR2 memory at this time sense it's more expensive and not really any faster at this time. Check the prices of the OCZ PC4200 verus the DD2 sticks... good luck

U

Unregistered

is the VIVO function still in order or not after all the flashing, would be some waist of money though
if you would lose that

was surprised i couldnt find that question answered here or is it 2 logical u go from pro vivo to
xt pe

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Unregistered said:
is the VIVO function still in order or not after all the flashing, would be some waist of money though
if you would lose that

was surprised i couldnt find that question answered here or is it 2 logical u go from pro vivo to
xt pe

It has been asked before and the answer is the Pro VIVO, XT, XT PE all have the Ati Theater chip on board which is not lost due to flashing ... should not be an issue :)

LouieV

Success !!!
I bought one of BB ATI X800 Pros being sold by COMPUSA. The box says it's a standard Pro, but a Pro VIVO is actually what was inside. It has the Rage Theater Chip and GC 16 RAM.

I flashed the card and enabled the four extra pipelines with no problems. Though I decided to use the X800 Pro VIVO/16P bios. It runs at default clock speeds but keeps the additional pipelines active. I'll need additional cooling before moving up to XT PE clock speeds.

I used the modified flashrom 237 and Bios files located in the article below. Worked great!

http://www.techpowerup.com. Look under articles for X800 Pro VIVO to XT PE Bios Mod by W1zzard.

M

MonGalak

Hello.
I ended up finding what did not go. Flashrom or the bios that I had used were to be bad bus I started again with the modified flashrom and another bios and since everything works well.
Now, I have X800pro @ 16p and I make 5012 under 3DMark05.
All goes for best.
Thanks.

U

Unregistered

X800Pro -> XT

I want to soldering the laser-cutted bridge... it will enable the 16pipe if I reflash bios after this hw modding?
Help!!

U

Unregistered

I recenlty bought a Powercolor X800Pro w/ Vivo and when my girlfriend found out, she's like, "$440 bucks!!??!! Are you out of your freaking mind?" I was like, "Don't worry sweetie, I just save a bunch of money from flashing Powercolor x800Pro vivo to X800xt PE and I save a couple cent by switching my car insurance to Geico. (smirk)

Thanks guys.

Question: Can ATI tool alarm myself or shutdown the system incase of Video Card fan fail? I just want to protect my investment...

Thanks again...

System Name Gaming Rig
Processor Phenom II 940BE @ 3.7ghz
Motherboard ASUS M3A78-T
Cooling Coolermaster V8
Memory 4 x 2gb DDR2 800mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire 5870 (Asus bios)
Storage 2TB SEAGATE SATA2
Display(s) Samsung T240 24" Widescreen
Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi extreme music
Power Supply Corsair TX 850W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
MonGalak said:
Hello.
I ended up finding what did not go. Flashrom or the bios that I had used were to be bad bus I started again with the modified flashrom and another bios and since everything works well.
Now, I have X800pro @ 16p and I make 5012 under 3DMark05.
All goes for best.
Thanks.

Do u have a x800pro or pro vivo?
Also, which bios did u use?

System Name Gaming Rig
Motherboard ASUS M3A78-T
Cooling Coolermaster V8
Ive got a ASUS x800pro (non vivo). I flashed the card with x800xt bios (after connecting the lasercuts). I used the ASUS x800xt pe bios (edited the clock speed).

The device ID b4 flash is 4A49 (using ATI Tool)
The device after flash still reads as 4A49 (using ATI Tool)

But if i use rabit to check out the bios it reads 4A50? :confused:

BTW i wasn't able to unlock xtra pipes. ATI tool still reads it as 12.
So maybe their is some other hardware lock. That doesn't allow u to change device ID even when the bios ID reads as 4A50!

Any insight will be appreciated

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Yelllow... First there has not been a high success rate on modded laser cut GPU. You could try to use the empty.bin BIOS to clear out any preserved settings like this and try the 16pipe BIOS. Also make sure you are using the Flashtool from here. The empty BIOS is here. Also be careful using the empty BIOS, you need to have the 16pipe BIOS on the disk as well, because you have to flash another BIOS to the card after the empty BIOS are it when not come back up.

Attachments

• flashpreserve.gif
    flashpreserve.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 1,337
Last edited:
System Name Gaming Rig
Motherboard ASUS M3A78-T
Cooling Coolermaster V8
Urlyin said:
Yelllow... First there has not been a high success rate on modded laser cut GPU. You could try to use the empty.bin BIOS to clear out any preserved settings like this and try the 16pipe BIOS. Also make sure you are using the Flashtool from here. The empty BIOS is here. Also be careful using the empty BIOS, you need to have the 16pipe BIOS on the disk as well, because you have to flash another BIOS to the card after the empty BIOS are it when not come back up.

I've done the above. Used empty bin and modified ATI Flashrom!
But had no success. Ive only tried the ASUS x800xt bios. Maybe i should try some others.

What bios do u recommend?

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
mR Yellow said:
I've done the above. Used empty bin and modified ATI Flashrom!
But had no success. Ive only tried the ASUS x800xt bios. Maybe i should try some others.

What bios do u recommend?

I see that W1zzard replied to the same message in another thread and I would agree that It does not look as though you'll be able to enable the 16pipes. You can review this page to see if you can be successful .... good luck

System Name Gaming Rig
Motherboard ASUS M3A78-T
Cooling Coolermaster V8
Urlyin said:
I see that W1zzard replied to the same message in another thread and I would agree that It does not look as though you'll be able to enable the 16pipes. You can review this page to see if you can be successful .... good luck

Thanx ;)

U

Unregistered

Cooling

Hey I just wanted to know what kind of temps are acceptible when OCing a card, especially this one. What kind of fan or cooling do I need in my case or on the card to keep those temps safe? I am planning on buying a Sapphire Pro Vivo and modding it to the 16p AND 1040 core 1120 mem clocks.

Thanks for helpin a n00b

Aaron

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Unregistered said:
Hey I just wanted to know what kind of temps are acceptible when OCing a card, especially this one. What kind of fan or cooling do I need in my case or on the card to keep those temps safe? I am planning on buying a Sapphire Pro Vivo and modding it to the 16p AND 1040 core 1120 mem clocks.

Thanks for helpin a n00b

Aaron
Read the begining of this article it talks about temps and the links for W1zzards HSF reviews... you'll never reach 1040 for the GPU ... only the mem is x2, I know you mean 520/560 .... good luck

A

alteredNate

Damn...

Urlyin said:

I'm in the same boat. Tried everything but ATI Tool always reports 12 pipes. I've got a powercolor X800Pro VIVO. This is dissapointing, I would have grabbed a 6800GT instead, but I read so many reviews that said this worked I believed it! Oh well.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
alteredNate said:
I'm in the same boat. Tried everything but ATI Tool always reports 12 pipes. I've got a powercolor X800Pro VIVO. This is dissapointing, I would have grabbed a 6800GT instead, but I read so many reviews that said this worked I believed it! Oh well.

AlteredNate, If it is a VIVO then you should be able to flash it to an XT ... Have you uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers? Look for the ATI Rage Theater chip ...

J

JC

Step by Step Rolling back BIOS

Hey guys;
I flashed my card the Gigabyte route. Full on XT PE with 16 pipes... but, I have had a little instability now and then even if I drop the clocks down to XT speed. I want to go ahead and flash her back to the original BIOS.

To get the steps correct let me run through what I think to be the correct procedure (make sure and get it right):

1. Pull the modified flashrom files onto a bootable floppy
2. Have my "backup.bin" and "empty.bin" on the same floppy
3. Boot to created floppy
4. Run "flashrom -p -f 0 empy.bin"
5. Run "flashrom -p -f 0 backup.bin"
6. Reboot and reinstall drivers

Is this exactly, step by step the correct way to do it?

The reason I am so ultra caustious is I dont have a PCI card handy and dont want to botch a flash.

Thanks in advance!
Josh

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
JC said:
Hey guys;
I flashed my card the Gigabyte route. Full on XT PE with 16 pipes... but, I have had a little instability now and then even if I drop the clocks down to XT speed. I want to go ahead and flash her back to the original BIOS.

To get the steps correct let me run through what I think to be the correct procedure (make sure and get it right):

1. Pull the modified flashrom files onto a bootable floppy
2. Have my "backup.bin" and "empty.bin" on the same floppy
3. Boot to created floppy
4. Run "flashrom -p -f 0 empy.bin"
5. Run "flashrom -p -f 0 backup.bin"
6. Reboot and reinstall drivers

Is this exactly, step by step the correct way to do it?

The reason I am so ultra caustious is I dont have a PCI card handy and dont want to botch a flash.

Thanks in advance!
Josh

JC ... it should work that way, but do you want to go back to 12 pipes? Have you tried any of the other BIOS? The ATI or Connect3d, maybe one of the XT BIOS before you go back to the pro VIVO(assuming that is what it was)

ThreeNiL

Urlyin said:
JC ... it should work that way, but do you want to go back to 12 pipes? Have you tried any of the other BIOS? The ATI or Connect3d, maybe one of the XT BIOS before you go back to the pro VIVO(assuming that is what it was)

Thanks for the quick reply.

No, in fact I havent tried any other BIOS than the ones outlined in the Gigabyte walkthrough found
HERE. I would love to at least stay with the 16 pipes if possible, I just dont want to risk burning a $400 card for a couple extra FPS.

Do you think that the set of BIOS they provided could be the problem? I am doing this all to a new ABIT RX800 PRO VIO (VIVO) w/the Samsung 1.6ns mem. I was hoping it would be at least a decent overclocker. I will try and flash to another set of XT PE/XT/VIVO 16P BIOS before going back to stock. Which do you recommend?

BTW.. Got registered.. Im JC from above.

Last edited:

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Some cards do better than others with certain BIOS... I have used the ATI BIOS mostly, some like the Connect3d and others the Sapphire... there is only one Pro 16pipe BIOS and you may want to try the XT BIOS at 500\500 first... Use ATITool to test your card to see if it can handle the 500\500 XT BIOS then the XT PE 520\560 by setting the speed with ATITool and play some graphic intense games ... good luck :)

U

Unregistered

Urlyin said:
Some cards do better than others with certain BIOS... I have used the ATI BIOS mostly, some like the Connect3d and others the Sapphire... there is only one Pro 16pipe BIOS and you may want to try the XT BIOS at 500\500 first... Use ATITool to test your card to see if it can handle the 500\500 XT BIOS then the XT PE 520\560 by setting the speed with ATITool and play some graphic intense games ... good luck :)

OK, I will give it a go. Thanks Urlyin!

ThreeNiL

ABIT = Bad OCer :(

Well Urlyin, I took your advice.

I based it mostly on the artifact checker in ATITool. I flashed back to XT BIOS. I tried the Sapphire and Conn3D versions. I came up with artifacts on both after only a few seconds. That sucks. Who would have thought ABIT would put out such a bad OCer.

So I went ahead and used the X800Pro 16p BIOS. Everything seems to be wonderful now..

Just glad I got the pipes open. Too bad though, its a nice lookin card.

Thanks for the help all the same!