• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X800 PRO VIVO to XT PE Flash Long Term Results?

ej_424

Hello I just recived my Sapphire X800 PRO VIVO yesterday from Zipzoomfly.com. I've done plenty of research on the web about the flash and it seem relatively easy. Once a 9800 Pro owner I did the PRo to XT flash and had no problems other then my card finally died after two years(not knowing if it had anything to do with the flash). Heat on the flash shouldn't be an issue seeing i bought the Artic VGA Silencer 4 as well which cools the memory too. So my question is has anybody done the flash like around 6 months ago and still is running the card as a XT PE? Any issues? I'm looking for long term results on the flash becuase i dont want to do it if my card has a high chance of dying alot sooner. The reason i ask is because I heard on another forum that the reason the XT PE stock is low is because ATI doesn have many of thers R420 cores that handly XT PE speeds or the pipelines aren't up to par so they then sell them as PRO's. Then shouldnt we not be doing this flash? I just dont really want to through 410 dollars down the hole.

Tek

How do I even know that the Pro Vivo card that I am buying can be flashed? How can I make sure that the card has the 1.6ns Samsung Gram?

if anyone has links to online stores where they sell flashable cards, please post. Thanks!

ej_424

You need to make sure it has the Yellow CD_IN Connecton on the card. Also look for the Rage Theatre Chip, then look on the memory and make sure the last 2 digits end in 16 not 20. If this all passes your almost 99% sure that its flashable, if you want to make extra sure you need to take off the hsf and look at the 4 dots and make sure theres not a block in the path(laser cut).. Look here!
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/100. Then its flashable. Also I would suggest the Artice VGA Silencer 4 for cooling.... Its a 10 outa 10 and will help the heat stay down with the 4 extra pipes and XT speeds.

ej_424

Any Comments?

Come on guys, Any of you have yours at a XT PE for a considerable amount of time? Results?

My built by ATi Pro has been running as an XT PE for over 5 months, no problems, stock fan. Fan speed set to 100% after 50 degrees

ej_424

Hey Shoman thanks for the reply. Music to my ears... :) Nice scores by the way what cpu are you running in the monster? Anyway I have a Sapphire Bulk Radeon X800 PRO VIVO and it seems to be holding its own. The heatsink when i bought it actually just said ATI Radeon X800 PRO it didnt even have sapphire on it. I think i heard something about ATI and sapphire joining or sharing cards, maybe this has something to do with it. Anyways I will try pushing my card a little bit now that I have the VGA Silencer 4 on it. Any other feedback on this discussion?

ej_424 said:
Hey Shoman thanks for the reply. Music to my ears... :) Nice scores by the way what cpu are you running in the monster? Anyway I have a Sapphire Bulk Radeon X800 PRO VIVO and it seems to be holding its own. The heatsink when i bought it actually just said ATI Radeon X800 PRO it didnt even have sapphire on it. I think i heard something about ATI and sapphire joining or sharing cards, maybe this has something to do with it. Anyways I will try pushing my card a little bit now that I have the VGA Silencer 4 on it. Any other feedback on this discussion?
I have a dell 8300, p4 3.2ghz ht, 1 gb of ram.....