• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X800-X850 AGP/PCIx POSSIBLE EXTRA PIPE UNLOCKING

After receiving of Fresko's results I will have idea is it reasonable to continue in that direction and what exactly to ask for ;) .

Thanks a lot for the readiness for help.

Klootzakje, if my suspicions about R420 (R423) get a prove, soon I will need your support. But until I have't positive result from my "measuring request" to Fresko I prefer to keep silence :).

See you soon

klootzakje

dolf said:
Klootzakje, if my suspicions about R420 (R423) get a prove, soon I will need your support. But until I have't positive result from my "measuring request" to Fresko I prefer to keep silence :).

See you soon

u got my support, you know that :) i'll do mods, measurements.. pretty much anything :O btw do you still have good hope about it? or is the chance getting very little? :O

fresko995

hey dolf, do I have to perform those measurements on the card while it's installed and the system is running? If so, how did you manage the lack of cooling at that time? did you massively underclock your card (gpu, mem)? the card could take damage....

Hi Fresko,
Of course you have to take out the card from the PC. Remove the cooler and proceed the measurements. But please don't round off the values but write exactly what the multimeter shows ;) . There are resistors with resistance 3 ohm and it will be shown within the results. When you have no resistance shown (range 2000ohm) just put dash in the file.

Success

Last edited:

SPHERE

Processor opteron 165
Motherboard dfi cfx3200
Cooling zalman 7000
Memory mushkin xp4000
Video Card(s) x1900xt
Storage 4x320 7200.10 raid
Display(s) 21" sony trinitron
Case v2000b lianli
Audio Device(s) x-fi platinum
Power Supply pcpac 510
Software gaydows
dolf i found your magic resistors :/ they are lasercut marks located here:

i have a actual r420 core here in front of me (x800pro vivo that was flashed to a pe with 16 pipes) and 2 of the marks are burnt

i can get you a pic but not now i dont have access to a camra :(

they look like this:

o o o o.......o o o o o
.....-..-.......
o o o o.......o o o o o

Sean, this information is crucial. I am hardly searching for the those missing "fuse bits" and suddenly they appears on the back side of the core. It is a dirty trick from the ATI side but from other side it is their right. Our right however is to search way to fix the things done by ATI.
I will continue to search way to unlock the pipes. But it is very hard to do it alone.
If you are really ready to help to do that your core will be very useful. I hope that you also have PCB without core :confused: .

Please see my previous posts in this thread and try to explore the electrical relations between front side lasercuts and the backside. Also imporatnt are the 4 resistors from the front side and their connection with the backside lasercuts. And finaly the relation between "F" point and back-side cuts.

I have discovered that front lasercut area is a part of (pipe quads power managemet system I presume). It consists of 4 equal electric chains with equal elements (equal resistors) and power supply +3,3V comming from the AGP slot. This 3,3V power supply is disabled with cutting the bridge/s.

It is clear that I am looking for a way to connect two things and to have the pipes "but without unsoldering the core" :D .

One more thing you said that the core has been X800Pro ViVo flashed to XT with 16 working pipes and it has 2 laser cuts on back of the core originally. Am I correct?

Thanks for the useful information. Also if you can provide me with the pictures of the naked core (PCB if you have it).

Last edited:

SPHERE

Processor opteron 165
Motherboard dfi cfx3200
Cooling zalman 7000
Memory mushkin xp4000
Video Card(s) x1900xt
Case v2000b lianli
Power Supply pcpac 510
Software gaydows
there isn't much left of the pcb i cut it up to cut out parts like the bios chip the lm63 and the rage theatre chip for possible future use :)

and any electrical readings you want from the core cant be trusted cause in cleaning some of the solder off of the back i cracked the core into 4 sections lol (you may be able to see the cracks)

here is the core :) (scaned)

http://rigshowcase.com/img/46UKXGT/624
http://rigshowcase.com/img/46UKXGT/623

Don__1

Mmmmmm, nice find Sean but if that's where the extra pipes are disabled then I don't think that we are going to have much luck bridging them !
I don't fancy unsoldering that ! :eek:

Sean It is nice. In that state the core can help a lot. The electrical relations on the core are much more important for me than on the PCB. Of course even cracked the PCB could bring some info especially for the external core - PCB connections. I hope that you have the pieces :confused:.
I am very curious to know about the possible connection between the following parts:

1. Do the dots have a general connection in between at least on the one side?
2. Whether this general connection (if exists) is connected to the front side?
3. Near to the (5 bridges) part has square pad and my question is how / whether this pad is connected to one similar on the front side?
4. What are the relations between GND and the bridges (cutted bridges)? (GND you can find on the front side of the core - my picture in the previous post for Fresko).

This core was with functional 16 pipes and have 2 lasercuts on the back obviously it have to be like that on 16 pipe core. Probably on 12 or 8 pipe cards the configuration is different (I will try to understand what) but for me is important to understand the mechanism of cutting (fusing). Not how the process works but what the effect over the core is.

This core is gold in that position (for research of course).

But your discovery is what I am afraid of because if there is no connection point left after laser cut we can do nothing about re-connection (missing second connection point). Also the situation becomes worst because there isn't access to the back side of the core.

At present I will remain optimist until no prove that there is no way to fix the core cuts.

The situation have to be similar on R480 (lasercuts hides on the back side).

One thing is clear now: This operation takes to core producer just few seconds to done "his bloody job" after testing but for us (if possible) it will take much much more time to fix it.

Last edited:

SPHERE

Processor opteron 165
Motherboard dfi cfx3200
Cooling zalman 7000
Memory mushkin xp4000
Video Card(s) x1900xt
Case v2000b lianli
Power Supply pcpac 510
Software gaydows
dolf said:
Sean It is nice. In that state the core can help a lot. The electrical relations on the core are much more important for me than on the PCB. Of course even cracked the PCB could bring some info especially for the external core - PCB connections. I hope that you have the pieces :confused:.
I am very curious to know about the possible connection between the following parts:

1. Do the dots have a general connection in between at least on the one side?
2. Whether this general connection (if exists) is connected to the front side?
3. Near to the (5 bridges) part has square pad and my question is how / whether this pad is connected to one similar on the front side?
4. What are the relations between GND and the bridges (cutted bridges)? (GND you can find on the front side of the core - my picture in the previous post for Fresko).

This core was with functional 16 pipes and have 2 lasercuts on the back obviously it have to be like that on 16 pipe core. Probably on 12 or 8 pipe cards the configuration is different (I will try to understand what) but for me is important to understand the mechanism of cutting (fusing). Not how the process works but what the effect over the core is.

This core is gold in that position (for research of course).

But your discovery is what I am afraid of because if there is no connection point left after laser cut we can do nothing about re-connection (missing second connection point). Also the situation becomes worst because there isn't access to the back side of the core.

At present I will remain optimist until no prove that there is no way to fix the core cuts.

The situation have to be similar on R480 (lasercuts hides on the back side).

One thing is clear now: This operation takes to core producer just few seconds to done "his bloody job" after testing but for us (if possible) it will take much much more time to fix it.
if you want i can mail you the core :)

btw trust me when i say that the pcb is pointless ;) the part around the core was broken and melted getting the core off and the rest is in peices the biggest peice left is the powerplug and 4 of the ram chips (side 128 bits of the ram)

where do you live? (pm me)

klootzakje

does any1 know if someone ever succesfully unsoldered and resoldered his gpu core? cause if it turns out the mod can only be done under the core.... guess i'll have to try then...

i have an old 9800 pro which is almost dead.. i would first test the un- and re soldering the core on that and see if the card still works :O

anyone ideas? tips? urls to threads about unsoldering core? :O

Don__1

klootzakje said:
does any1 know if someone ever succesfully unsoldered and resoldered his gpu core? cause if it turns out the mod can only be done under the core.... guess i'll have to try then...

i have an old 9800 pro which is almost dead.. i would first test the un- and re soldering the core on that and see if the card still works :O

anyone ideas? tips? urls to threads about unsoldering core? :O

LOL, see the last post by Sean for how 'easy' it is.

klootzakje

i read it but his card was already defective, so i guess he just broke the card
i'm talking about a little bit more careful kinda way :D

Don__1

Nah, without a special surface mount de-soldering machine you'll never get it off and back on again. Never !

SPHERE

Processor opteron 165
Motherboard dfi cfx3200
Cooling zalman 7000
Memory mushkin xp4000
Video Card(s) x1900xt
Case v2000b lianli
Power Supply pcpac 510
Software gaydows
dude if you try to remove your core you will not get it back on correctly i dont care how slilled you are lol

Sean, the idea to mail me the core is great and for sure the BEST we can do. But I have to inform you that I am situated in Europe. If you haven't problems with sending to here and it is not expensive for you I will provide my address.
Otherwise we have to think about other possibilities.

Thanks for the constructive proposal and for the support :) .

Last edited:

MeridiusZN

One thing: i have noticed the X800GT with R423 core is unlockable by hard mod....how can it be possible? X800SE not, but X800GT with the same core yes.

F!reF0X

Don__1 said:
Nah, without a special surface mount de-soldering machine you'll never get it off and back on again. Never !

Maybe we could use a hairdryer (Haarföhn) to de-soldering the gpu? I saw somebody doing it with ram (old ram ofcourse). He put the hairdryer above the ram and wait until the soldering get liquid and removed it an put it on a other ram module.
Maybe this is the safest way to get the gpu from the PCB?. Maybe it is possible to put back the gpu on the same way :D

Don__1

F!reF0X said:
Maybe we could use a hairdryer (Haarföhn) to de-soldering the gpu? I saw somebody doing it with ram (old ram ofcourse). He put the hairdryer above the ram and wait until the soldering get liquid and removed it an put it on a other ram module.
Maybe this is the safest way to get the gpu from the PCB?. Maybe it is possible to put back the gpu on the same way :D

Not a chance in Hell but nice thought.

klootzakje

i was thinking about using an oven upto 100 celsius.. not any higher cause the core would burn... but for now i do nothing at all, first want to see some more results from dolf

SPHERE

Processor opteron 165
Motherboard dfi cfx3200
Cooling zalman 7000
Memory mushkin xp4000
Video Card(s) x1900xt
Case v2000b lianli
Power Supply pcpac 510
Software gaydows
no and no
btw the core can probibly take about 250c safely as long as it's off (thats how they get it on there in the first place ;))

if any of you people tank your core off by any means you aren't going to get it back on listen to me!!!!

dolf said:
Sean, the idea to mail me the core is great and for sure the BEST we can do. But I have to inform you that I am situated in Europe. If you haven't problems with sending to here and it is not expensive for you I will provide my address.
Otherwise we have to think obout other possibilities.

Thanks for the constructive proposal and for the support :) .
doh lol make a pretty picture of what you want me to measure and ill do it for you k :) (i dont get exactly what you want in that other post :))

MeridiusZN said:
One thing: i have noticed the X800GT with R423 core is unlockable by hard mod....how can it be possible? X800SE not, but X800GT with the same core yes.
x800se come in pcie?