• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X800VE AIW 4pipes to 8, 12 or 16 ?

jaja_com

Don't bother about the BIOS modification I can do that but care about the "hardware level" disableing. The fuse values whisper me all that information (CONFIG_DIE_FUSES 0xFFF33FFF) 3 means that only 2 pipe quads in that core can work. Usually on X800VE you can find not 3 but 1 there - which definitely means 1 quad.
The number of the active pipes (in BIOS) can be changed usind BIOS editor (RaBit only shows the number of the pipes).

So if I have 0xFFF33FFF, I'll never have something better than 8 pipes (2 pipes quad) ?
Linking the second bridge could perhaps change it into 0xFFF37FFF, no ?

jaja_com said:
So if I have 0xFFF33FFF, I'll never have something better than 8 pipes (2 pipes quad) ?
Linking the second bridge could perhaps change it into 0xFFF37FFF, no ?

Yes that is the idea but don't count on that so much. Just try and if nothing happen be happy with what you have. You allready gain 100% upgrade which most of the VE owners can't ;)

jaja_com

Yes that is the idea but don't count on that so much. Just try and if nothing happen be happy with what you have. You allready gain 100% upgrade which most of the VE owners can't

Yes, and (woups) I did it again with the one of my friend this week-end, and all works fine again. Looks like I'm not so bad with my hands... :D

Nice you can open a factory for VE modification ;) . If you see somewhere VE with "beter" fuses CONFIG_DIE_FUSES 0xE(or F)FF3XFFF where X=7, D, E, B or F :eek: let me know :) .

ezechiel203

I bought this card too, there was a huge rebate on it, 75€ on sale :rolleyes: . I didn't receive it yet, the baby should knock at the door tomorrow. I may mod it too as to see how far i can push it. Nonetheless I don't expect extreme graphic performance. I just don't need a high-end card, just want to put my old 9600xt on retirement. The only thing i hope is this card performs the same, if not better than the "old" one, but i'm not concerned about this, i've read it equalls, if not overperforms a 9800pro . I'll mod it just to make fun (strange way to have a good time huh?), i'm an old "bridge connector" addict. I'll post the fuse and the results of my attempts to boost this card. It may have some hidden HP under the hood.

Dolf, may you please tell me how you modded the bios file? I mean, how did you do to activate the 4 next pipes in the bios. Do you use a software, or an hexa editor? Is there an "howto" topic out there? I'd be glad to learn how to tweak ati bioses. Thx :toast:

jaja_com

vive les soldes chez LDLC... ;) Perso j'ai pris aussi le kit de watercooling à 30€... De la balle !

Scuse me speaking french, but non-french (except people from belgium) won't know LDLC.com and their beautiful reductions on prices : evercool wc 202 : 70€ -> 30€

Last edited:

ezechiel203

;)
Still no card, i postpone my report until tomorrow, time for me to check if the old rear window demister repair kit is still up to the task :D

let's gently fry this lil' chip :D

ps : ya, LDLC rules, i also bought this WC solution, it doesn't seem to be excellent (i wouldn't compare it to a 1A cooling solution, this would be blasphemy), yet one must be crazy not to buy it! It's the cheapest WC solution ever i think.

Did you receive your WC? if yes, how does it perform?

Last edited:

Slider14

Help

I will receive soon an ATI All-in-Wonder X800 VE - 256 Mo - AGP.

What should i do ?

I can flash the bios but, i need to choose it correctly, witch one i must dld ?

Is flashing the bios efficient or does it need some hard ? Reading 11 pages is quite confusing...

Slider14 said:
I will receive soon an ATI All-in-Wonder X800 VE - 256 Mo - AGP.

What should i do ?

I can flash the bios but, i need to choose it correctly, witch one i must dld ?

Is flashing the bios efficient or does it need some hard ? Reading 11 pages is quite confusing...

You should post your fuse values after receiving the card ;) .

jaja_com

dolf said:
You should post your fuse values after receiving the card ;) .
I don't think it's really necessary : LDLC bought a big quantity of these, and they sell them low price now. I think they are all from the same series, so with the same specs. Nevertheless, You can post it, U'll know if you can do the same as I did (helped by Dolf of course :D ).

ace-lo

Hello,

Just received my aiw x800 ve this morning !
Unfortunately, I think I got "the wrong one" : CONFIG_DIE_FUSES 0xFFF31FFF...

Could someone tell me if I should try anything (soft / hard mod) to activate 4 more pipes or if I should reinstall my ati 9700 non pro (which had a bit more performances) ?

I saw no lasercut on the GPU.

Thanks for your help !

jaja_com

Hello,

Just received my aiw x800 ve this morning !
Unfortunately, I think I got "the wrong one" : CONFIG_DIE_FUSES 0xFFF31FFF...

Could someone tell me if I should try anything (soft / hard mod) to activate 4 more pipes or if I should reinstall my ati 9700 non pro (which had a bit more performances) ?

I saw no lasercut on the GPU.

Thanks for your help !

Seems effectively you have something not really good... But you say it doesn't perform as good as a 9700 ?! My X800 was running a bit better than my 9800 pro, so I don't really understand (my tests where bases on games only, perhaps you use something like benchs..)
The second point witch really seems strange is that you don't see lasercuts... Could you post picts of your processor ? We'll see...

ace-lo

Hi JAJA_COM and thank's for your reply,

1st : the "tests" I've made were based on OBLIVION and PREY, I just compared the FPS with the same parametres and noticed they were the same or slightly different (9700 higher 2-3 fps !)
2nd : I was wrong, there are 2 lasercuts. I tried the first bridge then the second and then both with a pencil but with no result !

I also tried to flash the bios using the one DOLF made for you but still no result !

I think the real problem comes from the "CONFIG_DIE_FUSES 0xFFF31FFF" as yours is 0xFFF33FFF... and I don't see a way to solve that !

I think I'm going to send the card back ;(

jaja_com

If you send it back, make sure your modifications are not visible at all... Before linking the bridges, have you cleaned them ? In all cases, you're right, there is small chances it work with thoses fuses... Sorry for you, it's not a bad card with 8 fuses. But if you keep it, it's interesting at overclocking (have you seen the frequency I obtain ?).

ace-lo

Yes indeed, I'm sure this card's a good one... with 8 pipes ! just too bad for me, mine's only got 4 :(

I've erased my mods (it was done with a pencil, so quite easy to do) and restored the original bios. I'm gonna send the card back, get the refund and chose one that has at least 12 pipes !

Anyway, thanks a lot to all the persons on this wonderful forum and to you JAJA for your help.

jaja_com

Anyway, thanks a lot to all the persons on this wonderful forum and to you JAJA for your help

Well, for nothing ! Sorry for you it didn't work, hope you'll have more chance with another one (but not the same price...).

isamu-ad

So this is the spec that j receive from LDLC is it a v10 or a 2Cv ????
:twitch:

Please help !!! :respect:

Slider14

This is my friend's graphic card :

config_die_fuses 0xEFF31FFF
config_substrate_fuses 0xFFFFF99C
config_rom_fuses 0x623
gb_pipe_select 0x38100

what do you think about this ?

ezechiel203

no luck...
still, he can try and soft/hardmod.

really odd result isamu, seems like you have a real bomb. run 3dmark2k5 and post your score. It seems to be incredible. I'll try to mod mine tomorrow. unfortunately, i also have a bad fuse. grrr

isamu-ad said:
So this is the spec that j receive from LDLC is it a v10 or a 2Cv ????
:twitch:

Please help !!! :respect:

I think that there is sense to take the fuse values even the cards are from one series and one place ;) . That card is and will remain with only 4 pipes nevertheless the wrong pipe number (12 active pipes) reading from the ATITool :( .

Slider14

dolf said:
I think that there is sense to take the fuse values even the cards are from one series and one place ;) . That card is and will remain with only 4 pipes nevertheless the wrong pipe number (12 active pipes) reading from the ATITool :( .

How can you be sure about that ?

ezechiel203

As said before, the fuse shows only one quad of pipes was activated ondie. As a consequence it's improbable that 2 other quads got activated by magic...
However, this "bug" if we can name it so, is quite puzzling. That's why a 3dmark bench score would confirm whether this card is a 4pipes or a 12 one :)

Last edited:

Crrispy

Got my 800 VE AIW, dead in 10 minutes

Well, got mine @ 75 euros from LDLC today. Just had the time to check the FUSES (dreaded "1" value... well, at this price.. jaja, seems you were really lucky), then played Prey for 10 minutes, suddenly got a yellow/blue checker board on screen, and the card was dead!... no more booting, black screen :mad: Sent a mail to them, will return the card next week, but I hope I'll get a refund, performance was really low.

jaja_com

For the "12 pipelines" bug, there seems to have one reason : it appears when you don't have the drivers installed.
Me & my friend seems to have been really lucky with this card, still doesn't have heating problems nor nothing else.
Well, got mine @ 75 euros from LDLC today. Just had the time to check the FUSES (dreaded "1" value... well, at this price.. jaja, seems you were really lucky), then played Prey for 10 minutes, suddenly got a yellow/blue checker board on screen, and the card was dead!... no more booting, black screen Sent a mail to them, will return the card next week, but I hope I'll get a refund, performance was really low.
Of course they'll refund you ! Looks like you're not lucky, luke ! :laugh:

R@zoumikin

Hello
I will receive mine in a few days and i can tell you about it at this moment. I hope jaja don't work for LDLC .:laugh: :laugh: