• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X800VE AIW 4pipes to 8, 12 or 16 ?

gorber

hmm... reworked the whole thing and no results. still 4p :(

Joey1313

gorber said:
I don't know if I should say this then, but I can't get rid of the 4 extras! I've cleaned like crazy, but nomatter what the card has got 8 pipes now. I think the demister stuff has actually shorted the points in the lasercuts, so it doesn't help to clean the surface. AtiTool only shows 4 pipes when the drivers are not installed. But after the drivers are installed I see 8 pipes in AtiTool. Also I should mention that I almost killed the card when checking max overclocks Black screen and artifacts in windows on reboot, had to uninstall in devicemanager and reset to get regular picture again.

SPHERE

Processor opteron 165
Motherboard dfi cfx3200
Cooling zalman 7000
Memory mushkin xp4000
Video Card(s) x1900xt
Storage 4x320 7200.10 raid
Display(s) 21" sony trinitron
Case v2000b lianli
Audio Device(s) x-fi platinum
Power Supply pcpac 510
Software gaydows
gorber said:
there is sometimes a conductive film over the lasercuts use a multimeter to see if the circles are conductive (put both prongs on one circle and see if it conducts)

btw dudes ati sometimes locks the pipes on-die so the lasercut mod may not work :(

Joey1313

Oooff, almost joined Imax's club there. Made a bad flash an killed off the card, got out a PCI card to flash back to original X800VE BIOS and bloddy well managed to flash the X800VE BIOS to the PCI card so it went dead too. :rolleyes:

Well you live and you learn, I shall remember the "atiflash -i" command for future reference. :D Luckily I had another PCI card to apply CPR to the X800VE card with, then I had to turn the tables and use the AGP card to flash the PCI. :D

I think I've had enough exitemt for some time now, think I'll leave it up to someone with a bit more experience to find out more about this card, as it stands I'm more likely to kill it off than get anything more out of it.

Are you having any luck gorber?

gorber

I have to get some proper cleaner to clean it up and have another go today. I have a theory that my conductive fluid is too thick. It basically hardens as soon as i get it out of the bottle. My plan is to mix it with a drop of acetone or something..

Joey what do you mean by "when the drivers are installed"? do you get 8p with catalyst loaded and 4p in safe mode?

Joey1313

gorber said:
I have to get some proper cleaner to clean it up and have another go today. I have a theory that my conductive fluid is too thick. It basically hardens as soon as i get it out of the bottle. My plan is to mix it with a drop of acetone or something..

Joey what do you mean by "when the drivers are installed"? do you get 8p with catalyst loaded and 4p in safe mode?
Hmm.. just tried booting into safemode, not only does it only show up with 4 pipes, but the memory is read as 64bit 0MB at 1 MHz, 23,35MHz for the core.

I guess that's normal if you get the same, but what I was refering to was when you haven't installed the Cat5.7's AtiTool says 4pipes in Windows normal mode. You then install the cat5.7's and after reeboot AtiTool finds 8 pipes.

I don't know much about this, but it seems to me that there might be 12 or even 16 pipelines on this card (After all there are 2 lasercuts), but we're gonna need a bios to make the drivers recognice it after unlocking more than 8 pipes. As it stands the cat5.7's are recognising the card as an 8 pipe X800VE, but if you flash the card with a BIOS for ATI AIW X800XT the cat5.7's doesn't recognise the card anymore. Maybe because the drivers can only find 8 or 12pipes, so the drivers then refuse to install and AtiTool tells you've got 4 pipes.

As for the applying of the demister stuff, I just hold the brush close over the area to apply it, then dip the toothpick in the brush and fast as hell draw a line with the toothpick. It does dry very fast. So good luck if you haven't given up.

Also it would be nice to hear from any others with the same card trying to unlock pipes, so far I've only heard of Imax, Gorber and myself.

gorber

hmm... still 4p. I have tried several techniques now and it still doesnt work. I dip a toothpick in the demister and apply it as fast as possible. It works better after i thinned it a bit but its still more like a demister blob all over the area between the pads. I will have another go later but my patience is running out

I will try to first fill the holes/pads with demister and then draw a line between them. My theory is that it maybe only lays on the surface without penetrating down to the actualt conductive pads . I want those pipes!! grrr

gorber

Another try... another failure. Atitool still says 4p.
i get average 106FPS average in ATItool 3Dview with 565/565 OC
Joey what do you get with your 8 pipes?

Joey1313

gorber said:
Another try... another failure. Atitool still says 4p.
i get average 106FPS average in ATItool 3Dview with 565/565 OC
Joey what do you get with your 8 pipes?

Well, as I said I lost a bit of overclocking when I activated the extra pipes, and finding max frequency with AtiTool just upped the clock until blackscreen at 550MHz for the core, so I scanned for artifacts at 540/540MHz (like to run them sync.) And the card almost died! Got screen artifacts in windows! So I'm not running any chances now. At 520/520MHz i get 155fps avgerage in AtiTool. That's with 2,2GHz Barton on nForce2 and 2x256MB PC3200 RAM at 2,5-3-3-7. I haven't optimized after I had to reset cmos because of the bad flash. But still its quite a bit better than what you're getting, so it's apparent that you've not gotten the pipes open. I guess there is offcourse the possibility that there is nothing for you to do, but I find that somewhat strange. Are you sure that you are connecting the correct dots? Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you a picture of what to short. Just to be sure if you like. But you have to be fast, I'm leaving for work at 05:00 Norwegian time and I'll be gone for 14 days, so there will be no more experimenting for me untill I get back. Maybe someone else has been able to figure something out by then. :)

Edit: Just found your e-mail address in your profile, picture sent.

Last edited:

gorber

Thanks for the pic joey. It pretty much looks like what ive been doing over here, only atm i have just connected the left dots. You episode with the windows artifacts happened to me too yesterday and i got some major hangups in XP. a bit strange as i have been running 565/565 stable for a few days and now i had to cool it down to 550/550. Maybe the cooling silicone hadn't had time to do its job or something.

Anyways.. be sure to drop in after youre back to see if i finally killed my board.

cya!

Monsterbeach

I bought this one to. (X800VE) And i must say thank's to all in this thread for doing the overclocking/Firmware/hardclocking and above all the "chrashing" before me.
This card is like: buing a BMW M3 (overthemiddlepricedfastcar, you know what i mean) with all the goodies on + more. And get a four banger engine. We can tune it to the end of the world but we never going get the real thing.

gorber

Monsterbeach said:
I bought this one to. (X800VE) And i must say thank's to all in this thread for doing the overclocking/Firmware/hardclocking and above all the "chrashing" before me.
This card is like: buing a BMW M3 (overthemiddlepricedfastcar, you know what i mean) with all the goodies on + more. And get a four banger engine. We can tune it to the end of the world but we never going get the real thing.

Glad to have been at service! Be sure to visit frequently to gain up on the X800VE frontier taskforce.

But actually its like having bought a half-price 16-bang BMW sportsmachine with all the multimedia hi-tech interior, knobs and buttons with only 4 pistons working at the same time having a secret switch buried in the engine to let loose the other 300HP.

Last edited:

gorber

Monsterbeach said:
A 16-stroke BMW have 2000HP not 300 ;)

well 100+300 is 400 . i dont thing BMW has a 2000HP eng... well maybe a airoplane engine then! :p

Monsterbeach

gorber said:
well 100+300 is 400 . i dont thing BMW has a 2000HP eng... well maybe a airoplane engine then! :p
Well I don't know if they have. (I'm just thinking of how much HP a BMW 16-banger, if they build one, can have). But i know that BRM have a Formula 1 car in 50'ies that V16 engine. The sound of that is absolutely fabulous. Can't find the link. but here is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V16
Now we are really of topic now :) I check in and maybe i do some testing of my self with the card.
let's crack it!!

Joey1313

Monsterbeach said:
But you did get 8 pipes?

Gorber: Any luck yet?

Monsterbeach

Joey1313 said:
But you did get 8 pipes?

Hi! Haven't done any OC (hard) stuff,with the GPU, yet. (More than fooling around with ATI-tools: 550/550, 2785p/3Dmark05.)

gorber

Joey1313 said:
But you did get 8 pipes?

Gorber: Any luck yet?

not really... the technique to make the mod is now perfected but it doesnt seem to matter. I got a paintbrush and cut all the straws but 4 or 5 and it is perfect to draw the line between the pads. Thin and straight. But do i get rewarded with any more pipes? neeeh!

I am now thinking about removing the plastic layer between the pads and apply it directly on the metal. I got a special motto for these kinds of problems..

"what does not want - must!"

Joey1313

gorber said:
"what does not want - must!"
:D
Try a pharmacy and get a onetime scalpel, it's got a good plastic grip and a pretty sharp tip on the blade, should be perfect for this fiddley really small stuff.

Monsterbeach

After freezing in X2 (Game from Egosoft) in default settings. I kicked this card out. Maybe i build a "TV-PC" with it in the future. Next time i do my home work before buying :)

gorber

No, sorry to say i will never get those 4 extras, but you cant say it's for not trying... :(

imax

@gorber : you 're unlucky man :(

I just got a AIW X800SE with no lasercut replace X800VE had died when I flash wrong bios

After flash X800XT bios I have 16 active pipeline :p

I'd benchies 3D when I go home

icywater

imax said:
@gorber : you 're unlucky man :(

I just got a AIW X800SE with no lasercut replace X800VE had died when I flash wrong bios

After flash X800XT bios I have 16 active pipeline :p

I'd benchies 3D when I go home

:eek: Imax you are one lucky man, My sapphire x800 pro vivo AGP can't even mod to xt :(

Joey1313

gorber said:
No, sorry to say i will never get those 4 extras, but you cant say it's for not trying... :(
Hope you didn't buy the card for gaming then. But on the bright side; I'm not able to go back to 4 pipes, what if the 4 pipes I opened had been broken, and not being able to turn them off again? Same for you, you don't know if those 4 pipes are working or not, so maby just as well you don't get them on? Anyway the card performs as well as a 9800pro when clocked at 500/500MHz so it's still good for some gaming.