• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X850 Pro Vivo to XTPE & fan stops working!!

I'm trying to flash an Connect3D X850 Pro Vivo (AGP) to XT PE & unlock the 4 extra pipes lines. The flash part is not the issue - i've done this loads of times on an X800 & worked flawlessly.
However, when i flash the card & reboot the fan stops. It starts when the PC is turned on but then stops when the PC posts (beeps) so i know the fan works. The flash has worked because i can boot into windows but the fan gets hot very quickly & i shut down.
I tried different BIOS's but the fan stops on everyone of them.
I reflashed to the original X850 Pro bios & the fan works fine.

Whats going on!! :(

cmberry20 said:
I'm trying to flash an Connect3D X850 Pro Vivo (AGP) to XT PE & unlock the 4 extra pipes lines. The flash part is not the issue - i've done this loads of times on an X800 & worked flawlessly.
However, when i flash the card & reboot the fan stops. It starts when the PC is turned on but then stops when the PC posts (beeps) so i know the fan works. The flash has worked because i can boot into windows but the fan gets hot very quickly & i shut down.
I tried different BIOS's but the fan stops on everyone of them.
I reflashed to the original X850 Pro bios & the fan works fine.

Whats going on!! :(

Don't worry about that just don't use X850XT or PE BIOS with that (single slot cooler) card. The problem hides in the fan type itself (and the way of managing from the BIOS - PWM). The dual slot XT cooler uses different fan which hasn't problems with PWM fan control. Don't use the XT / XTPE BIOS for long time because your fan will burn out!!! If you can afford it buy ATI Silencer 5 rev.2 and you can use XT or XT PE BIOS.

To solve your problem with unlocking to 16 pipes and keeping the fan working use moded to 16 pipes PRO BIOS which is included (together with X850XT and X850XT PE VIVO AGP BIOSes in my Automated Flash Utility on bootable CD image. It can be downloaded from here: http://www.savefile.com/projects.php?pid=738578 (with flashing instructions).

Success

ok, have flashed the X850 Pro 16P bios & the fan is working.
However, ATI-Tool is displaying only 12 pipes - is this normal?

cmberry20 said:
ok, have flashed the X850 Pro 16P bios & the fan is working.
However, ATI-Tool is displaying only 12 pipes - is this normal?

I will suggest you to uninstall ATITool without keeping the profiles or any other files when you will be prompted to. Install it again and check the number of the active pipes. But to be sure that your card can be moded to 16 pipes please post picture of your fuses to check it :) .

fuse data (with 16p bios)

JC316

Knows what makes you tick
System Name Budget Gaming
Processor AMD FX6300
Motherboard Gigabyte 880GMA-USB3
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Memory 8GB Ripjaws DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) HD7850 1GB
Storage 1TB Sata2
Display(s) Acer 24" LED
Case Generic black
Audio Device(s) Stock onboard
Power Supply FSP Aurum Gold 650W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
You are stuck with 12 pipes my friend. Same damn fuses my X850 Pro had.

Yes you will stay with 12 pipes and no BIOS flash will help :cry: . But probably you will be able to overclock it even more than XT (especially the core). Find max. core / memory and create custom BIOS with max. core minus 15-20MHz; max. memory minus 15-20MHz and flash it with that BIOS. It will almost compensate the missing 4 pipes.

thanks for the replies guy. The card is capable of X850 XTPE speeds so it can be overclocked to that. Its not my card anyway - I've got a water cooled X1900 XT-X - I'm just flashing the X850 for a friend who was having difficulties with flashing it.
Oh well, better tell him the bad news......