• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X99 Pro BIOS update problem

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
So I am building a rig for a friend and I am having issues with updating the BIOS.

The BIOS comes in a .CAP file and EZ Flash 2 doesn't read it and neither does using the BIOS Recovery option either.

I have scoured the web and nobody has a real answer. I watched a guy on YT do it with an X99-A and his read the CAP file just fine...

Help?

I'm pretty much stopped here until I get this problem solved...

Recovery doesn't work on UEFI. Also u need to rename the file, depends on the motherboard.

Does it have USBF?

Edit, yeah it does.

Use this to rename the file.
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8Z77-M/BRenamer.zip

Load the renamed file onto an empty usb drive, power off, then insert the stick into the usbf port and hold button for 3 seconds.

Last edited:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
So I am building a rig for a friend and I am having issues with updating the BIOS.

The BIOS comes in a .CAP file and EZ Flash 2 doesn't read it and neither does using the BIOS Recovery option either.

I have scoured the web and nobody has a real answer. I watched a guy on YT do it with an X99-A and his read the CAP file just fine...

Help?

I'm pretty much stopped here until I get this problem solved...

When I installed my 980ti in my x79 mobo - my pc wouldn't start. After some blind panic (had redone my water loop) I thought about BIOS stuff. Although our boards are different gens the issues may be similar?

I dl'ed a CAP (converter) file from my wife's laptop and used the EZ flashback option. That's the one on standby when you don't turn PC on. My first few attempts failed until i tried a newer USB stick. The USB must be formatted to FAT or NTFS. My older USB stick wasn't formatted correctly (i think). Do as Pill Monster says and make sure the file is named 100% correctly (I used ASUS' support section to get the info for my mobo). Once the file is on a compatible stick, you pop it in the EZ flash USB slot (PC power led on mobo is on but not powered up). Hold the flashback button beside the USB port until it starts flashing and let go. It should flash for a while. When it stops flashing completely - you can restart system.

If you've done all that anyway and it didn't work - I'm all out of ideas.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Tried the renamer, The BIOS Flashback doesn't read the file either it's really strange. Like if I rename it to a .ROM the BIOS doesn't even see the file but either the "raw" file or the "renamed" file it refuses to read them.

As for the USB format I have tried FAT, FAT32 and NTFS. All with the same result

Edit: To clarify when I ask EZFlash to read the file it comes back "Not a Proper BIOS file" or something to that effect.

Flashback(using the renamer)it blinks 3 times then goes solid(so no completing)

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Tried the renamer, The BIOS Flashback doesn't read the file either it's really strange. Like if I rename it to a .ROM the BIOS doesn't even see the file but either the "raw" file or the "renamed" file it refuses to read them.

As for the USB format I have tried FAT, FAT32 and NTFS. All with the same result

Edit: To clarify when I ask EZFlash to read the file it comes back "Not a Proper BIOS file" or something to that effect.

Yeah, I experienced that when I used the older USB.... What file name are you using and where was it dl'ed from?

Format as fat32 then put the renamed xxxx.cap onto it. No need to change the filetype or anything. The usb drive has to be completely empty btw..

Can u link me the cap image?

Last edited:

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Format as fat32 then put the renamed xxxx.cap onto it. No need to change the filetype or anything. The usb drive has to be completely empty btw..

Can u link me the cap image?

Well I can't upload it but I got it right from ASUS support

Well I can't upload it but I got it right from ASUS support

USBF tends be a bit finicky sometimes, as the54thvoid mentioned. From say idk 100 usbf flashes there would be maybe 5 or 6 that didn't work for me the first time.

Don't give up yet. :p

If the board is X99 pro rename the file X99P.CAP, then delete everything on the flash stick and drop the file on it. That's all, but stick has to be totally clean. Might take a couple of rinse and repeats. :)

Maybe try different bios version...? http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

when using EZYFlash don't rename the file, instead just leave it as ASUSX99 Pro.cap or whatever it's called.

Last edited:

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
id say the problem is the usb stick
try another one

System Name Gaming PC from bestby
Processor I7
Motherboard Ibuypower
Cooling Stock
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3080
Storage 1TB shared with windows 11 and FerenOS
Display(s) MPG ARTYMIS 323CQR
Case nice big case with rainbow fans allover it
Audio Device(s) realtech
Software OS is Windows 7 home premium, sometimes I use linux mint mate or sabayon both live
Benchmark Scores CL-RCD-RP-RAS Write Speed 2x DDR3-1333 SDRAM 9-9-9-23 CR1 10484 MB/s
I used a file set from here for dos on usb stick: http://www.biosflash.com/e/bios-boot-usb-stick.htm
I would try a different USB stick if this doesn't work. Preferably one of a different type. Also try to download the file from a different network location and computer incase its corrupt.

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
How the file is named doesn't matter one bit. With EZFlash, you just point to the file, whatever it is names, and it reads the file. It then checks to make sure it is a valid BIOS file, it uses the data in the file to do this, it doesn't care about the name.

It sounds to me like the download are becoming corrupt some how.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Just as a heads up, I needed to use USB Flashback on my P9X79 Deluxe because it was unhappy with the DRAM. The first USB stick I used didn't work, it couldn't read it for some reason even though the file name was correct. So I highly urge anyone using the USB Flashback method to try out several USB drives, make sure its FAT32 formatted, and to try more than one kind of flash drive.

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
Just as a heads up, I needed to use USB Flashback on my P9X79 Deluxe because it was unhappy with the DRAM. The first USB stick I used didn't work, it couldn't read it for some reason even though the file name was correct. So I highly urge anyone using the USB Flashback method to try out several USB drives, make sure its FAT32 formatted, and to try more than one kind of flash drive.

Done this a few times, once my old RIVE board displayed the OO Q code. I thought for sure I needed to RMA it, but saw this video my first few attempts failed. Think I ended up holding the button longer or something as if the bios light starts to flash but then stop after only a few seconds it did not flash, think I counted to 60 seconds or so(I did it a few times). Again it was easy on the RIVE board as it has 2 bios chips to begin with, my issue at the time was a Q code of 00 after an overclock failure.
presently I have a Asus X79-Deluxe(no dual bios) board works fine with my 3930K CPU, I bought a Zeon CPU and when powered up I get the 00 Q code. I assume sense the deluxe is a more current production time that it is already CAPS converted as when it tries to read an older bios off my formatted USB stick it says not a valid file or file un readable(I assume cause its a ROM file not a CAPS file or vise verssa)as if they were the same format I think the board would read the file OK.

I know this is an old thread but did want to post in hopes of helping someone who might find it, now sense I'm stuck with the Zeon I'm trying to pick up a first gen 2011(board cheap on flee bay)in hopes of being able to use the Zeon.

Here is the video that helped me save the 00 Q code after failed overclock on my RIVE Board,

And JJ talks a little future on it