• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Xbox One X Hardware Specs Give Gaming Desktops a Run for their Money

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
I don't think you know how great console optimization can be.

I don't think you realize that console optimization hasn't been a factor since the Xbox One and PS4. Console optimization was only a thing when the additional obfuscation layers required on the PC played a significant burden on the CPU and GPU, something consoles didn't have. The difference now is that one: The overhead for these PC APIs is now such a small portion of modern CPUs and GPUs power that it is insignificant and two: PCs have had low level APIs for a decent amount of time now.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Yes, it will and yes, someone has. It gives desktops a run for their money since it delivers 1070 performance at a lower price than that of a desktop with similar real performance.

Also, weren't controllers quite popular for fps at one point?

Why even argue controller vs mouse? A controller pans across the screen, a mouse points. With a controller you have to move the paddle all the way to the side until it starts panning at it's maximum speed and if that isn't fast enough you have to increase sensitivity which in turn reduces accuracy as the minimum number of pixels it can move is increased. Controllers have dead zones, mice don't. Issues with a controller that mice don't have.

Controllers were made to be good all around gaming devices. You can have people be good at FPS games with a controller but that will never overcome it's technical limitations. There's a reason aim assist is in nearly every console FPS and there's a reason Overwatch competitive on console is played and balanced differently.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
I don't think you realize that console optimization hasn't been a factor since the Xbox One and PS4. Console optimization was only a thing when the additional obfuscation layers required on the PC played a significant burden on the CPU and GPU, something consoles didn't have. The difference now is that one: The overhead for these PC APIs is now such a small portion of modern CPUs and GPUs power that it is insignificant and two: PCs have had low level APIs for a decent amount of time now.
I thought the benefit was not from reduced overhead, but from being able to target a specific set of hardware? When developers know the hardware isn't a variable, they can control the experience with consistency, and they can test their content with some assurance that the result will be acceptable to the entire user base. I know that is less true with cross-platform titles, since they are targeting multiple platforms and software environments, so it would mostly be true for first-party titles.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
For sure, though I'd say the importance of strategy varies game to game or even map to map.
I personally feel that a lack of strategy is still a strategy. Tactics are not strategy. Have you read the Art of War? I highly recommend it.

I thought the benefit was not from reduced overhead, but from being able to target a specific set of hardware? When developers know the hardware isn't a variable, they can control the experience with consistency, and they can test their content with some assurance that the result will be acceptable to the entire user base. I know that is less true with cross-platform titles, since they are targeting multiple platforms and architectures, so it would mostly be true for first-party titles.
100%. But it is not that they can get MORE, it's that it is EASIER because there are less variables.

There is nothing in gaming consoles making them perform better with the same class of hardware.
And BTW; GTX 1070 will only run the most demanding games in 1080p, not 4K. It's not nearly high-end, and this console is even slower.

Yet the PS4 pro runs all games at 1080p maxed and some at 4k with med settings. No optimization, huh?

Will Volta finally allow PC peasants to run 4k blu ray or will they have to wait for 6 core Ice lake running at 5 ghz and Windows 11?

4k Streaming argument in 3, 2, ......

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legendary
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Looks kinda like the first generation PS2 and that's my favourite console by looks.

Processor R7 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI x570 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Edge,EK QS P420M,EK D5pwm Revo Res
Memory 32gb Corsair Vengeance RT 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) Zotac 3070ti Amp Extreme
Storage Samsung 980pro 1tb x2
Display(s) MSI MPG321QRF QD
Case Corsair 7000D
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse G900
Keyboard Corsair k60 RGB PRO
Software Win 11
I havent read many comments, but don't we get this "as/more powerful than pc's" thing every single time a new console is about to release, i'm still waiting for the death of pc gaming that the ps3 and 360 bought about

And remember how the cell cpu in the ps2 was hundreds of times more powerful than your home pc before it released...

I think a large part of the problem for console gaming is that game dev's are doing a really good job getting the most out of the gpu's nowadays(it has been roughly the same gcn backbone since the xb360 after all) and you dont get that improvement in quality across the lifetime of the console as you did on older generations as people learned to code for them better.
This is (part of) why we have mid-lifecycle .5 consoles coming out now

Will Volta finally allow PC peasants to run 4k blu ray

PS4 pro cant?

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Case Antec P7 Neo
PS4 pro can't play 4K discs, but it's not from a lack of power, it's from a lack of a 4K drive. A bit of a surprising move on Sony's part. I wonder if it was to hit that $400 price point?

I personally feel that a lack of strategy is still a strategy. Tactics are not strategy. Have you read the Art of War? I highly recommend it.

100%. But it is not that they can get MORE, it's that it is EASIER because there are less variables.
I skimmed the original English translation many years ago but never got to reading it.

And remember how the cell cpu in the ps2 was hundreds of times more powerful than your home pc before it released...

I think a large part of the problem for console gaming is that game dev's are doing a really good job getting the most out of the gpu's nowadays(it has been roughly the same gcn backbone since the xb360 after all) and you dont get that improvement in quality across the lifetime of the console as you did on older generations as people learned to code for them better.
This is (part of) why we have mid-lifecycle .5 consoles coming out now

PS4 pro cant?

I kind of feel like the ps4/xb1 was more of a late mid cycle. Reason being is that the XOX is more of an upgrade than XB1 was. Both 360 and XOX pushed the limits of Sensible gaming power (from a business sense). The XB1, not so much. XB1s was just a refresh.

No, ps4 pro can't play BR4k. Ironically, the 'last gen' XB1s can. Strange since Sony pushed blu ray and Microsoft pushed HDDVD yet MS is 1.5 generations ahead on BR4k

BR4k will take alot sales from ps4pro just like Ps3 took sales from 360 because of BR.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Case Antec P7 Neo
<--Excuse me, how does that answer MY question?
-whats the power consumption of the gpu of this beast console?
Specs at Anandtech have the entire system being powered by a 245W internal PSU. Not bad considering that is only 25W more than launch Xbox One.

I figured there was an agenda there since it is such an easy Google search.

Gpu is similar to an rx 580, so whatever that is.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Claiming a gaming console is more value for the money is a faulty comparison. People don't consider buying a desktop computer or a gaming console, but rather buying a computer + a gaming console or a more powerful computer.

You can take any cheap quad core i5 (or even Ryzen) and throw in a $200 GTX 1060 and it will outperform a $500 Xbox One X, or you can buy a $500 GTX 1080 which will perform >75% better. And even better, two-three years down the road you can spend a few hundred bucks more and get something that's good enough to play newer games, making your computer a great investment.

~10 years ago people were predicting that the PC gaming market were doomed, but instead the consoles have stagnated and then declined, while the PC gaming market keep growing. The only selling point for consoles are their exclusives, but that's also their hard selling point for the general public. Most buyers get very few console games, which makes the actual price of the console games very high, and buying multiple consoles gets ridiculously expensive. For those who are not fans of specific series, PCs remains the superior choice for gaming.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Has anyone strolled into an FPS tournament with a controller and won?

I mean there are Halo and CoD console tournaments and those guys are insane!

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Claiming a gaming console is more value for the money is a faulty comparison. People don't consider buying a desktop computer or a gaming console, but rather buying a computer + a gaming console or a more powerful computer.

You can take any cheap quad core i5 (or even Ryzen) and throw in a $200 GTX 1060 and it will outperform a $500 Xbox One X, or you can buy a $500 GTX 1080 which will perform >75% better. And even better, two-three years down the road you can spend a few hundred bucks more and get something that's good enough to play newer games, making your computer a great investment.

~10 years ago people were predicting that the PC gaming market were doomed, but instead the consoles have stagnated and then declined, while the PC gaming market keep growing. The only selling point for consoles are their exclusives, but that's also their hard selling point for the general public. Most buyers get very few console games, which makes the actual price of the console games very high, and buying multiple consoles gets ridiculously expensive. For those who are not fans of specific series, PCs remains the superior choice for gaming.

Computers don't function with just GPUs.....

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
And while I hate to say it, I game on PC pretty much exclusively, but one of my kids has a PS4, and the quality of the image in many games, for me, beats PC.
Oh please, this is purely subjective, so it's totally understandable that you hate to say it :) probably you just gotta connect the PC to the same display and adjust yourself some gamma and digital vibrancy

System Name Mroofie / Mroofie
Processor Inte Cpu i5 4460 3.2GHZ Turbo Boost 3.4
Motherboard Gigabyte B85M-HD3
Cooling Stock Cooling
Memory Apacer DDR3 1333mhz (4GB) / Adata DDR3 1600Mhz(8GB) CL11
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gtx 960 WF
Storage Seagate 1TB / Seagate 80GB / Seagate 1TB (another one)
Display(s) Philips LED 24 Inch 1080p 60Hz
Case Zalman T4
Audio Device(s) Meh
Power Supply Antec Truepower Classic 750W 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Meh
Keyboard Meh
VR HMD Meh
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Meh
Oh please, this is purely subjective, so it's totally understandable that you hate to say it :) probably you just gotta connect the PC to the same display and adjust yourself some gamma and digital vibrancy

not only that his world wont be so vibrant as the pc alternative

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
You can take any cheap quad core i5 (or even Ryzen) and throw in a $200 GTX 1060 and it will outperform a $500 Xbox One X
Uh, no it most likely won't, on the opposite, Xbox will likely wipe the floor with the mentioned build, being the platform developers actively target.
The slower CPU would not be an issue, GPU's are on par AND console is actively targeted.
Check Doom's benchmarks to see how it gets reflected in actual performance.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Uh, no it most likely won't, on the opposite, Xbox will likely wipe the floor with the mentioned build, being the platform developers actively target.
The slower CPU would not be an issue, GPU's are on par AND console is actively targeted.
Check Doom's benchmarks to see how it gets reflected in actual performance.
That's 100% BS.
As mentioned, there is nothing making the consoles perform better per theoretical performance. It's the same type of hardware running the same APIs.
Targeting on consoles is about fine-tuning the load to hit a certain frame rate, making the rendered image look different from desktop, not about better performing hardware.
Xbox One X still uses an old Jaguar CPU, a 3 GHz i5 will probably be nearly twice as fast.

Xbox One X still uses an old Jaguar CPU, a 3 GHz i5 will probably be nearly twice as fast.

Does anyone even know the IPC of Jaguar? 3ghz Kaby quad = '12 ghz'. 2.3 ghz jaguar octo = '18.4 ghz'. For the i5 to be nearly twice as fast or '36 ghz of jaguar' it would need 3x the IPC.