• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XCLOUD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will PCs stop existing in 2 years? Will "high-end" gamers throw away their 34" Acer Predator X34P Curved Monitor, their RTX 2080Ti, their Intel Core i9-7960X, and etc etc all the trendy stuff (or similar more or less among those or lesser lines) huh??? Throw away all your hard earned knowledge and years of "water-looping" all of that? And for what!? For, ta-da: playing stream games on a tablet or phone, once Google, Microsoft and Ubisoft finally go completely retard. 50% of the world doesnt have compatible internet. Will people in africa play on xcloud? Really Ubisoft!?

P.S. I didn't know people playing 1 hours every two or seven days are considered gamers and own such rigs for "gaming". I usually play ~10 hours every day and don't consider myself a gamer.
P.P.S. I hope there will still remain people who wont go
full retard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Stuff like that will never work.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I don't understand the point of this thread but it smells spammy to me.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Like all new technology it will take time...

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Yeah, I know about xCloud. I just don't see what it has to do with the questions posed in the OP.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Yeah, I know about xCloud. I just don't see what it has to do with the questions posed in the OP.

Seems more like a rant about where PC gaming seems to be going... no time soon

Someday, we may all have dumb terminals with compute and storage in the cloud (including gaming)... no time soon. The OP raises a sentiment and point that's probably valid.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
We are rapidly heading toward a society where nobody owns anything, they simply rent things. Why own a car when you can have a cheap monthly subscription where the auto driving car comes and picks you up. Same with cloud computing services. Pay $100 for a dumb terminal and get access to a huge library of games streamed to you in real time at 1 ms latency. And then Ai is going to put most people out of work so we will need some sort of basic income while robots do the work. The future is scary.

Why own a car when you can have a cheap monthly subscription where the auto driving car comes and picks you up.
That's no different than a taxi and terribly inconvenient. Not going to work for lots of people.
Same with cloud computing services.
Not a great comparison.
Pay $100 for a dumb terminal and get access to a huge library of games streamed to you in real time at 1 ms latency.
First, what happens when you don't have an internet connection? And really with 1ms latency? No ISP can provide that anywhere in the world. It physically isn't possible unless you're in the same room, and then what would be the point? Cloud computing as a platform will never happen. As a supplement to standard computing? Sure but not as a replacement. Too many unsolvable problems most people refuse to deal with.

Last edited:
I read a news article on a local portal saying it will replace computers. You look forward to that? What will be the point of this community and site when that time comes?
Statements by ubisoft and others of similar caliber, were very scary and frustrating. It was only logical to raise a statement / question here, in one of the biggest PC gaming communities. I was purely interested in opinions because I see and feel XCLOUD as a threat to my hobby.
Why not own the games I love? Im not like other people who play any trendy game just to kill time and then delete it. I choose the games I play based on my personality, tastes, and stuff I love and that makes me happy and feel heartwarming. Thats why I see xCloud as a threat. I want to own my games forever. And to cut this last sentence short, I play my games in offline mode. I actually only plug in the internet cable when game updates + DLCs are released.

Last edited:

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
You never actually own the games you get on, say, Steam. You buy the right to play them.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
You never actually own the games you get on, say, Steam. You buy the right to play them.
Yes But owning a hard Copy (ie either a Disk or a downloaded copy on your own hardware ) gives you the opportunity to mod the Game (build your own levels/maps ect)
None of which is possable with a cloud provider Delivered game

System Name SALTY
Processor A10-5800K
Motherboard A75
Cooling Air
Memory 10Gig DDR133
Video Card(s) HD 7660D
Storage HDD
Display(s) 4k HDR TV
Power Supply 320 Watt
Not what I want , need or would ever pay for.
I think it's one of those things where someone thinks it's a really grate idea but most people don't, so they will push it out anyway, suppose they have to test the water.
but I also wouldn't be surprised if it caught on ... I never thought anyone would pay silly money for a phone but I was wrong about that, so who knows ...

Yes But owning a hard Copy (ie either a Disk or a downloaded copy on your own hardware ) gives you the opportunity to mod the Game (build your own levels/maps ect)
None of which is possable with a cloud provider Delivered game
1) owning a disk gives you no rights to modify the program. "Modding" is legally risky at best.
2) there's no reason why a level builder (or something similar) wouldn't be provided via Steam or directly on the cloud.
You never own the program that you buy a copy of. It doesn't matter how the copy is distributed.
That's no different than a taxi and terribly inconvenient. Not going to work for lots of people.
Owning a car doesn't work for many as well. :)
Also, obviously car sharing is vastly different from a taxi. You don't own the car, but you use it almost as if you did.

BTW: if you lease a car you are not the owner as well.
First, what happens when you don't have an internet connection?
You don't play games. This seems fairly straightforward.
That's hardly unheard of in 2018. Most of multimedia entertainment moved online (movies, music, even books/magazines partially).
And really with 1ms latency?
If you're playing online (i.e. multiplayer), the latency is there already.
Cloud computing as a platform will never happen.
That's possibly the weirdest sentence I'll read today. Hibernate much lately or what?
Someday, we may all have dumb terminals with compute and storage in the cloud (including gaming)... no time soon. The OP raises a sentiment and point that's probably valid.
Compute and storage is already there in a large enough part.
Gaming is still done locally, but that's more because of how old-school PC gamers are and how big are their expectations for image quality. Console gaming will move to cloud in next generation, if not earlier.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Stuff like that will never work.

It will, and does.

We are rapidly heading toward a society where nobody owns anything, they simply rent things. Why own a car when you can have a cheap monthly subscription where the auto driving car comes and picks you up. Same with cloud computing services. Pay $100 for a dumb terminal and get access to a huge library of games streamed to you in real time at 1 ms latency. And then Ai is going to put most people out of work so we will need some sort of basic income while robots do the work. The future is scary.

The segregation will definitely increase, only the not-haves will not exist.

EDIT: And the "not a gamer" and who is and isn't a gamer is a really silly argument to even have.

System Name SALTY
Processor A10-5800K
Motherboard A75
Cooling Air
Memory 10Gig DDR133
Video Card(s) HD 7660D
Storage HDD
Display(s) 4k HDR TV
Power Supply 320 Watt
seems like a lot of people love buying into ether rather than the real physical item these days.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Unless everyone and their dog has <1ms fiber optic internet connections, the service will be a niche for casual gamers.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Unless everyone and their dog
Niche Market like S korea where even the Dog Kennels have giga Internet.
won't play in Rural America/rural Europe.
Most people even if they can get G/b internet will Squirm at the Cost.
Heck how much of the wire'ed world is at best 25m/b

seems like a lot of people love buying into ether rather than the real physical item these days.
Why are you so attached to physical items? They only bring unnecessary costs.

Yes, some people buy things like computers and cars to just own them. But most simply want to access information and entertainment / to ride somewhere.

200 years ago you needed a cow to have easy access to milk.
20 years ago you needed a huge computer (CRT, hardly any laptops) to just send a simple email or play pacman.

Technology is changing our reality, but high fps or low lag in games is not a major objective. Live with it. :)

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

I disagree:

*marketing* is heading rapidly towards a utopian world where nobody owns anything and is fully dependant on services and rentals. In the real world, away from the internet, things do still seem to work as they always had. And when shit hits the fan, the need for what we always had suddenly becomes larger than life and all those services and dependancies are rendered useless.

The real future we are headed towards is this one:

https://www.climateandweather.net/global-warming/effects-of-climate-change.html

https://www.climate.gov/news-featur...imate-led-several-major-weather-extremes-2016

The likelihood of disaster taking out the very basics needed to provide 'services' will always keep us looking for that essential backup, will always keep us on our toes and looking for some form of self sufficiency.

So, I'm not too worried :) Don't buy into every hype you see and hear, its good for you. This whole 'pay per use' principle is great for the have-nots, who can feel like 'haves' once in a while. Its really just the next step in a culture of debt and living on debt, and it serves a specific group of people more than it serves others. The group most vulnerable to these offers is exactly the 'have nots'. The rest is capable of taking a step back and consider the implications of having everything as a service.

You never own the program that you buy a copy of.
I wouldn't be so sure but thats not important now... So how would one "own" a game fo all time? Like... You know, I now own Witcher 3 GOTY from GOG and I would love all my games like in such a flexible format...
You don't play games. This seems fairly straightforward
Is that so? My PC is plugged offline almost always and Steam has offline mode and I always play offline. Steam offline guide.
Most of multimedia entertainment moved online (movies, music, even books/magazines partially).
I never realised I dont own the 3 TB of lossless audio media in my pc and I guess I also dont own all of my BDs and even the TV and BD player too?
So you can have them in you room and carry them with you. I have all Hatsune Miku Magical Mirai concerts on BD and I like the fact they are mine and some 50 physical CDs as well. I don't need "internet permission" to access any of that. And even all my lossless digitally bought music I can play offline, no need for internet. Why, do you need internet permissions to live these days? It seems to me people dont have anything without internet these days. Thats the aim of Xcloud same as it was with Steam. Why not own everything you can afford. Drink less alcohol and smoke less cigarettes, and, stop getting into endless bank loans and you will one day find yourself eating Häagen-Dazs everyday day.

I will never understand people who don't what to own physical items such as BDs of favorite movies/concerts etc. It probably just proves that people are so destroyed by daily life that they don't hold anything dear anymore. Just live like a robot: Job, job, job, lunch, kids, sleep, and so on till death. You take life waaay to seriously if you believe there is such a thing as "unnecessary costs". Stop smoking and drinking and you will be rich.

Last edited:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix

Not a great comparison.

First, what happens when you don't have an internet connection? And really with 1ms latency? No ISP can provide that anywhere in the world. It physically isn't possible unless you're in the same room, and then what would be the point? Cloud computing as a platform will never happen. As a supplement to standard computing? Sure but not as a replacement. Too many unsolvable problems most people refuse to deal with.

Guess who owns the taxi? The Taxi driver or the taxi driver owns the medallion that allows him to service a particular area.

Cloud computing is literally AS A SERVICE. You do not own what you use.

Look up 5G wireless. It won't be long...

System Name SALTY
Processor A10-5800K
Motherboard A75
Cooling Air
Memory 10Gig DDR133
Video Card(s) HD 7660D
Storage HDD
Display(s) 4k HDR TV
Power Supply 320 Watt

Yes, some people buy things like computers and cars to just own them. But most simply want to access information and entertainment / to ride somewhere.

200 years ago you needed a cow to have easy access to milk.
20 years ago you needed a huge computer (CRT, hardly any laptops) to just send a simple email or play pacman.

Technology is changing our reality, but high fps or low lag in games is not a major objective. Live with it. :)

probs because I have had years of being homeless, owning nothing and having to rely on others, Now I like owning my own things it's normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.