1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XFX 4890 losing signal under 3D

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Jegergrim, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Jegergrim

Jegergrim

Thanks Received:
    I'm about to buy an XFX Radeon 4890 with an aftermarket Arctic Cooling Twinturbo Pro, but theres a problem, he says he often looses monitor signal during 3D games, but works fine during internet browsing and desktop things, but he also states that he has a very low quality PSU, a 700W Energon, which supposedly also could be the problem, the card would cost approximately 47 euros including shipment. Any suggestions on what the problem could be, and how likely it is the GPU?

2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Maybe it's overheating ?.. Why don't he just rma it with XFX ?.

3. Jegergrim

Jegergrim

Thanks Received:
    We are situated in Denmark and that would cost the same as me just buying it off of him, and the card is 2 years old so the danish shop warranties are void...

Do you think it's likely an overheating problem with the aftermarket cooler? I was more thinking along the lines of the PSU not being able to provide enough powert during intense 3D games

4. GotNoRice

GotNoRice

Thanks Received:
    I experience the same issue with my 2x 4870x2 setup if I allow any of the GPUs to go up above the low 90's. Really anything above 90C is pretty iffy, even though these cards are supposed to be rated to 104c.

I use MSI Afterburner to set a custom fan curve that has the fan hitting 100% at about 80C and that tends to keep the temps in check.

Jegergrim says thanks.
  5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well i guess he screwed it as if he registered the card on the XFX there would of been a double lifetime warranty with it.

Well i do have a 2900XT that does it and the ram modules are damaged due to heat.

Jegergrim says thanks.
  6. Jegergrim

Jegergrim

Thanks Received:
    Alright, thats at least a good reference, I would just assume his aftermarket cooler would keep it cool ,but perhaps he installed it in a wrong manner, or something.

7. Jegergrim

Jegergrim

Thanks Received:
    I agree, however it's very common down here to not bother with any other warranty that the actual scandinavian 2 year warranty, it might sound abit awkward for anyone abroad, but thats just a fact, even for the enthusiast level ;p

Perhaps it indeed is the heat, but he must have flunked something on the new aftermarket cooler. I'm currently trying to decide whether to buy it, and reseat the cooler and hope for the best, or forget it complete.

8. GotNoRice

GotNoRice

Thanks Received:
    I'd say it's probably the memory or the VRMs that are overheating, as opposed to the core itself - though it's harder to measure those temps. Often aftermarket coolers focus so much on cooling the GPU that they end up neglecting the secondary components (video memory, VRM, etc)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
    Jegergrim says thanks.
  9. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    Is it at stock? I got the losing signal and hard freeze when I overclock mine, among other things. I would suspect that PSU too, very low 12V rail power.

Jegergrim says thanks.
  10. Jegergrim

Jegergrim

Thanks Received:
    That sounds very likely, I'll have to check that if I decide to buy it, but the aftermarket cooler is pretty expensive and has 2 big fans with a large heatsink, so I really think without an OC it should at least be able to play some 3D games.
    Yes, the card has never been overclocked according to the owner, and I also suspect that the PSU might be a problem since he has a low quality Energon...

11. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    Then I suspect 100% in the PSU, also I think Got no rice is right too, and a bad PSU can even worse the situation because it can make the VRM work harder if it has a incorrect voltage, ripple, etc... and the extra heat from core or VRM can affect the memory chips..

Jegergrim says thanks.
  12. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Ask him if you can test it on your system first. Tell him he can be present when you try it out.
    That way you can see if it's just a bad PSU, or a dying card.

13. Jegergrim

Jegergrim

Thanks Received:
    It's a too far distance :) However I asked him to log the temperatures during couple mins of 3D gaming with GPU-Z, and hopefully he will be able to. Also he said he replaces his PSU with a Cosair TX v2 1.5 months ago, but didn't comment on whether the problem still persisted, awaiting his reply.
    If it did, It must be the GPU and possibly dying memory ?

Edit: Turns out he bought a GTX 580 at the same time of the PSU and thus did not test the GPU with the new powersupply, and doesn't want to mess with case now that they're installed and running.

I'm going to buy it and hope for the best

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011