1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XFX Abandons GeForce GTX 400 Series

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Mar 30, 2010.

1. cdawall

cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    While I agree from the tech perspective they may not be fanboi's maybe they just need a winter heater you know fermi the new preshott

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. xtremesv

xtremesv

Thanks Received:
    History repeats itself for nVidia.

FX 5800 / GTX 480
    - Reduce availability.
    - Not quite a performance star.
    - Heat and noise problems.
    - Late.

The difference is that now nVidia buyers have pieces of paper moving around in games (Physx), 3D glasses (if you can afford the whole kit), can work with some serious C programming and video encoding (CUDA). Nice features though. Ah, I was forgetting "The Way It's Meant to Be Played" extra value.

3. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't say TWIMTP is "extra value", in the end the money comes from who pay for these cards. :shadedshu
    We both know that "The Way It's Meant to Be Payed" won't save the GF100 from the Hemlock. :p

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. theubersmurf

theubersmurf

Thanks Received:
    They got the performance crown (within the framework of single gpu video cards) but that's all they got. And not by a huge margin. By any other metric the card is a disaster. It seems like they sacrificed everything just to get the performance crown, as if that's the only thing people wanted to hear...

5. idx

idx

Thanks Received:
    maybe ATI did something to them like paying them for that.... just saying..

6. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    Thank you conspiracy theorist for your doubts. Reality just doesn't seem real, right?

Paulieg says thanks.
  7. xtremesv

xtremesv

Thanks Received:
    I've met people who thought that just because X game had the nVidia "It's Meant to Be Played" logo their nVidia cards were superior to ATi on that particular game. Of course, I'm talking about people who still think that having more video memory is all that matters :slap:

8. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    This is a point I've been trying to make repeatedly. I've pointed out numerous times that the 4870x2 actually draws MORE power in everything (except BD playback) than the GTX480.

ATI just hit a homerun with the 5k series. That doesn't make Fermi a bad card. Not a great card, but not a bad card.

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. AzureOfTheSky New Member

Thanks Received:
    epically if you need a loud heater for your computer room/house on those cold winter nights....oh wait....its almost summer..........

10. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    Right, lets get this straight.....

2, 55nm, 1.3v, 4870 gpus run a little warmer and draw a little more power than

1, 40nm, .99v, GTX 480 gpu

Somehow, I don't see anything there that makes the GTX 480 a decent card. Let alone a good card. Not to mention that in performance a 4870x2 is close to or equal a 5870. That just makes the GTX 480 look worse imo.

I guess you don't have to worry about SLI profiles with one gpu. I guess that's a plus for Fermi.........right?

11. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I have whole house AC, and it would be cooler than my X2 anyway.

Fermi outperforms both the 5870 an the 4870x2. Voltage specs don't matter, only the end results. In this, the end result is a whole lot of wattage and heat. lol.

I don't see anything that makes Fermi a terrible card. I likewise don't really see anything that makes it a great card.

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. TAViX Guest

Imagine if they cannot offer warranty even for 1 year, what's the quality of those boards. And XFX is known for their 5 years+ warranty, even lifetime, so it is very understandable why they choose not to market the new cards from Nvidia.

Also, a card that "might" only last 2 or 3 years is not worth buying anyways.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    Outperforms.....slightly.

Maybe it does a lot more in benches, but since I play games I didn't really look at the "Vantage" parts of all the reviews I read.

BTW, I read somewhere that a couple reviewers got bum GTX 480s. Still trying to find them though.

Fermi isn't terrible.....but it came close.

14. segalaw19800

segalaw19800

Thanks Received:
    Nvidia buyout 3Dfx:slap:

15. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    My 300nm pentium 1 ran on 5v (or was it 2,5v) and it was passively cooled. What's your point?

16. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    It doesn't outperform them by all that much - especially considering how hyped the card was . . . as well, the slight margin it has over the other two seems to dwindle quick when the resolution goes up. I mean, considering just how much nVidia was hyping this card, I was expecting performance close to (if not better than) the 5970.

TBH, I can't say it's a bad card, either . . . but I don't really see where it's a better deal over a 5870.

17. cdawall

Thanks Received:
    I think we are going to see that change something is wrong with how these cards got measured I have already seen reports of 3 1000w+ psu getting killed with fermi upgrades one tt toughpower 1200w one fsp bluetop 1000w and one fsp 1200w something isn't right here and it need to get figured out now cause even the 4870x2 wasn't blowing psu

10 Year Member at TPU
  18. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    HAH... wow. Thats is insane.

19. cdawall

Thanks Received:
    One card popped running 3dmark looped which is odd maybe as they produce more heat they become less effecient pulling more than the ~300w reviews have been putting them at. That's what I think is happening and the cards are overdrawing multirail psu's since most multirail systems set the cb higher than the psu can actually handle if multiple rails max out this has led to overloaded highend psu's but only the multirail ones.

10 Year Member at TPU
  20. DarthCyclonis New Member

Thanks Received:
    So when are we going to see the GTX480 Coop addition with a G92 for PhysX! lmao.

21. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I always use single rails, but still...

Theyre definitely pushing the line on the manufacturing process. For sure they sent cherry picked samples to reviewers. Not all cards draw the same amount of juice am i right? Some chips might be leakier/run hotter/ burn more watts than others.

Sounds like it might be a QC issue. Was it all the same brand of card?

22. cdawall

Thanks Received:
    Ill ask the shop they got returned to, but I do not believe they were. Some of the reviewers show higher loads as well I have seen anywere from 300 to 340 and up

phanbuey says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  23. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi

Thanks Received:
    300-340, teh variance is great

24. cdawall

Thanks Received:
    That's a good differnece haha that's like a 8400gs extra in the system

10 Year Member at TPU
  25. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    Does the speed/way in which a card demands power also make a difference?... i.e. If i plug something into my PSU that instantly demands 700W, and then the next nanosecond, 100W, and then 850W again in a few ms later, repeatedly. Does that make any difference on the strain for the psu instead of just demanding 700W continuously?