1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

xfx hd7970 no display after flash bios

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by motiwyl, Sep 10, 2017.

1. motiwyl New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    have you tried flashing back to the original ROM? the one it left the factory with i mean?

motiwyl and INSTG8R say thanks.
  3. eidairaman1

eidairaman1 The Exiled Airman

Thanks Received:
    Contact xfx for the correct bios or go search the vga bios collection here, ensure you have the correct sku and model off of your cards stickers.

motiwyl and dorsetknob say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  4. motiwyl New Member

Thanks Received:
    i just flash my card with xfx hd 7970 core edition bios it worked but i want to know why i cannot flash with xfx hd 7970 fx-797-tdfc bios even though my card is xfx hd 7970 fx-797-tdfc

5. eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Whats the sku on there, bear in mind sometimes they have revision numbers too, which could mean a different brand of ram used in the product stack too.

I want to ask, does the card work correctly with the bios you flashed into it?

motiwyl says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  6. thesmokingman

Thanks Received:
    They're not compatible? Anyways at this point, why even flash a diff bios? Why not mod the stock bios into whatever you want?

motiwyl says thanks.
  7. eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    He didn't back it up bro

motiwyl and dorsetknob say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  8. thesmokingman

Thanks Received:
    Ouch!

Also during that Tahiti era, there were a bazillion revisions and often with the same model numbers.

motiwyl says thanks.
  9. eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    that's why I think the SKU number should help unless if there's a revision number there

motiwyl says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  10. MrGenius

MrGenius

Thanks Received:
    I bet I now the real reason why. And, based on that presumption, I'll bet there are FX-797A-TDFC BIOSes that will work. Just not that one. Why? For the same reason the Core Edition BIOS works. It doesn't support Hynix AFR. And neither do the rest of the FX-797A-TDFC BIOSes on the list. It shouldn't matter, because it supposedly supports Hynix MFR too. But I bet it doesn't actually. I'd even go so far as to say apparently NOT. I saw that it said MFR and AFR and immediately a red flag went up. I was like really? Since when? I've probably seen a few dozen BIOSes that support one or the other. NEVER both. I'm calling BS on that.

eidairaman1 and motiwyl say thanks.
  11. motiwyl New Member

Thanks Received:
    you mean it shouldn't support both of MFR and AFR right? sorry if i misunderstanding

12. eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    It doesn't support both as what MrGenius said.

Take a picture of all of the cards white stickers without the serial number and post them here.

motiwyl says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  13. MrGenius

MrGenius

Thanks Received:
    That's what I meant. But...in the mean time I went and did some investigating to see if I might be right about that. Sooo...I went back and had another look at the "few dozen BIOSes" I was talking about. Turns out it wasn't MFR, it was BFR. My card has AFR. I remembered trying a BIOS that only supported BFR and having issues with it. And I really never have seen a BIOS that supports both BFR and AFR. But MFR and AFR seem to be nearly the same thing(not sure even what the difference could possibly be). The specs are identical so far as I can tell. Anyway, to try and prove the point I found a BIOS that only supports MFR and flashed my card with it. It worked. At least enough to boot into windows. So I couldn't prove it would cause "bricking" to use a MFR only BIOS with AFR. And it's likely I'm wrong about the MFR and AFR thing being the cause of the problem. If I am then I don't know what else it could be. Other than a general incompatibility....of some kind. Hell...I have no idea if your card even has Hynix MFR or AFR. For all I know it has Elpida BBBG. Should have established that first, before jumping in neck deep. :oops:

Anyhow, my point, at this point, is...if you really want to be sure your card can or can't run right with a FX-797A-TDFC BIOS you should try them all. But they might not be any better or worse than the Core Edition BIOS that you're running now. The other thing is the TPU database might not have your original BIOS, or even a BIOS that was meant to be used specifically with your card. Contacting XFX support would be the best way of getting your original BIOS, or a BIOS that was meant to be used specifically with your card. To call attention to this thread so that an XFX Support team member can respond to your request here...you can simply mention @ XFXSupport(type it just as I did there except without the space between @ and XFX). Then wait patiently for a reply in this thread. They usually respond fairly quickly

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    eidairaman1 and motiwyl say thanks.
  14. motiwyl New Member

Thanks Received:
    here is my pic FB_IMG_1505190221095.jpg

15. motiwyl New Member

Thanks Received:
    nvm about bios,i got new problem my gpu clock not going up or down when i play the game and idle it stuck at 501mhz since i flash bios

16. eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Are there any other stickers on it?

@XFXSupport, this guy needs the correct bios for the card he borked

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    Yup... Different timings from wrong BIOS..
    Send XFX an email for the correct bios and while you are waiting try some of the other BIOS's.

XFX support has never let me down.... Even when they should have... Lol

XFXSupport, motiwyl and dorsetknob say thanks.
  18. motiwyl New Member

Thanks Received:
  19. Malik Sajid

Malik Sajid

Thanks Received:
    Check if your card got a Diehard BIOS, it's basically a switch make you able to activate the lock BIOS which can't be flashed and works as a backup. My Sapphire HD 7850 got this so maybe yours as well
    [​IMG]

20. motiwyl New Member

Thanks Received:
    it doesn't have bios switch

21. motiwyl New Member

Thanks Received:
    nvm all of my old problems cause i got new problem again when i play 3d games gpu clock go up at 925mhz and then go down to 501mhz and stuck at this clock until i restart my pc

22. eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Format your os, start fresh or take the system to a shop, we can't do a whole lot more for you at this point.

/thread

10 Year Member at TPU
  23. XFXSupport

XFXSupport

Thanks Received:
    N3 serial #... this is an early one, soon after we stopped using the reference pcb/single dvi board. Finding the bios wont be easy. Try making a ticket at xfxsupport.com and we can query the factory to see if they will release it.