• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XFX Radeon RX 5600 XT THICC III Ultra

Jdc308

Both should work just fine ,just flash and test.
Thanks MrBright, the bios flash worked!
bios.jpg
And thank you to the uploader!

System Name i'm done in
Processor AMD 5950x
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory GSkil 64gb 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) Power Color R7900xtx Hell Hound oh hell ya
Storage 2x wd sn770 2tb 1-4tb wd- hd 2x8tb wd hd actually 1 fire cuda
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 1440p 32" 165hz hdr monitor might go oled
Case Corsair 4000D Air Flow
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G5 80+ Gold
Mouse logitech and roccet wcord
Keyboard logitech
Software W10 forever
This new bios will work with the Thicc II pro? I have been waiting and hoping someone would upload the new 14gbps bios for the II model.

I feel like I got cheated ordering the 12 right before they relaunched
Using on my Thicc ll pro. Zero problems.

lseurttyuu

Hi!

After a few weeks I'd like to share with you my story with these BIOSes updates, as it could potentially save your nerves .
Firstly my RX 5600 XT came with a non-OC 12Gbps BIOS flashed (BIOS that was released before AMD announced clocks change).

Before first drivers installation, I used DDU Driver Uninstaller, so I was sure that it'd have been a clean install.
Then I installed Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.4.1 drivers (non-WHQL edition).

Everything was working flawlessly - no issues whatsoever.
Later on I decided to flash my RX, so I can get additional performance.
Generally everything was ok, BUT - there was one big issue.

After BIOS flash I started experiencing weird freezing/hanging while being on desktop and doing some non-GPU-intensive stuff like web browsing, image opening, etc. My mouse was stopping, the whole screen was active (no black screen), the only way to restore the system was to push a Reset switch.
These freezes were happening once a 2 days on average - so definitely something was wrong about it.

I started analyzing the issue. Firstly I thought that my memory isn't capable of running 14Gbps instead of 12Gbps - but that was't the case, as my gaming experience was flawless and the freezes were happening only when GPU wasn't doing any substantial job.

What's more - these freezes were also a case when I flashed my card to official OC Bios (GPU OC + 12Gbps memory). At this point I was about to return this card.

Here's what fixed my issue:
I decided to flash my card back to a 14Gbps BIOS file that NumbComic uploaded here at this thread. Then I uninstalled 20.4.1 driver, used DDU to delete any GPU drivers scraps, and then finally made a clean install of Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.5.1 drivers (non-WHQL edition). That was 2 weeks ago. Since then I haven't experienced a single freeze/hang - my PC is now once again a rock stable system.

So as it seems, reinstalling drivers is extremely crucial when you flash your AMD GPU BIOS to some other version (I believe that's not the case with Nvidia, at least I don't remember experiencing an issue like that before).

Greetings!
Mike

lucasb

hi guys, i have a thicc iii ultra 12gbps version (RX-56XT6TBD8 ) with the official "pro tuned bios". this bios posted by numbcomic works for me? and what program i should use to flash my bios to 14gbps version posted by numbcomic?
1592796523796.png

lucasb

Ty lseurttyuu, i have flashed my bios today and seems to be ok. Btw, i dont see a great change of performance in 3DMark TimeSpy.. i believe that in games the difference is more apparent, or not? These prints below its my thicc iii ultra before and after 14gbps bios
Anotação 2020-06-22 012225-vert.jpg

lseurttyuu

That seems a bit weird to me, the bump should be more significant in my opinion. But your CPU may be bottlenecking this particular graphics card, and - what's more important - it also depends on the other PC parts, that is RAM speed and latency, PSU stability, your main BIOS file, Windows config, etc. etc.

Your performance gain is below 1%.

My case is:

Pro-tuned bios (graphics score = 7108)
3d_pro.png

And NumbComic bios (graphics score = 7524)
3d_n.png

So for me it is almost 6%.

You can also check your score online, using "Compare result online" button. It will give you the glimpse of how your system performs comparing to the other similar systems (based on the same CPU and GPU configuration). There's a specific chart, that should look like that:
Adnotacja 2020-06-23 125153.png

And your system (orange bar) should be on the right, like the above screenshot shows.

But again - that depends heavily on the rest of your system. If I were you' I'd try to make a complete drivers reinstall.

Make sure that GPU-Z shows "Memory" at 1750 MHz in the "Graphics Card" tab, not 1500 MHz.

Greetings!
Mike

lucasb

Ty for reply Mike, i have formated my pc today (something I should have already done lol) and now this is my results:
1592954206180.png

This is what 3DMark show in details:
1592954282714.png

Now I believe everything is normal. I don't know why my avg mem clock frequency its 1714MHz, but whatever, i'm get finally satisfied lol. Ty again for reply and for your help Mike!

lseurttyuu

And now your graphics score is over 7200 points - that's definitely a good result, now you probably get the ~maximum performance out of your card, having on mind the rest of your system ;)

lseurttyuu

Hi again!

So it seems that my issues with the best BIOS (14Gbps) haven't gone completely yet!
Recently I finally had a free time to intimately investigate whether this BIOS works fine or not.

For almost all my games it seems that it works fine. Almost - that's the keyword here.
I wanted to play Battlefield 1 and almost always after ~5 minutes of gameplay the game would crash with an error like that:
Adnotacja 2020-06-24 224217.png

I checked this error over the Internet and people suggested 2 possible reasons this happens. The 1st one was that it's the driver issue (TDR Crash) and setting registry value TdrLevel to 0 would solve this. In my case things have gotten only worse after this change, as my PC was now freezing up completely and the error message wasn't coming at all.

The second hint was that it may happen if the graphics card or RAM memory (I mean DDR4) is too heavily overclocked. On my previous graphics card I've never seen an error like that, so now I was almost sure it's a VRAM connected thing.

And guess what - I was right. I flashed my card to official 12Gbps Pro-tuned BIOS and the issue is gone now. I've read that Frostbite engine is very prone to GPU overclocking. It seems that opinion is completely justified.

I'll try to reach XFX Team and ask if they can silently release a special 14Gbps BIOS that would have VRAM voltages increased a bit. I doubt they can, or even want to do that (my graphics card isn't supposed to work with 14Gbps memory, according to official narrative), but if I find out something - I'll definitely let you know.

Greetings!
Mike

rodriesp

14Gbps BIOS that would have VRAM voltages increased a bit

Hi Mike,

I am writing as a user of a Thicc II Pro, which probably came defective, but, when flashed to the 12Gbps "Pro-Tuned", and also GPU Boost Clock turned down from 1780 to around 1600 Mhz works fine. I really think AMD/XFX/manufacturers tried to shorten the gap with the RTX 2060 and they have been quite reckless while doing so...

I am for sure interested in getting a BIOS that could run mine at 14Gbps without any issues...have been checking at this https://www.igorslab.de/en/morepowertool-mpt-redbioseditor-rbt/
With that soft you are able to edit everything, memory timings, speed...but NO VRAM VOLTAGES... :(

If you Mike or any guys around here know of a solution of someone with my issues, I really appreciate your help!!!

lseurttyuu

Hi!

when flashed to the 12Gbps "Pro-Tuned", and also GPU Boost Clock turned down from 1780 to around 1600 Mhz works fine

Did you have to underclock your GPU manually to get it working? Ugh that sucks man, you should probably RMA your card.

they have been quite reckless while doing so

I definitely agree with that, they made a huge mess around their GPUs. A simple price cut would work better for them.

but NO VRAM VOLTAGES

even if we were able to modify VRAM voltages, there's still a big issue that remains to be solved: unofficial Bios flash software (that allows to flash modded BIOS) works only with RX 5700 and 5700 XT cards. No RX 5600 compability yet. So even once we modify that, this BIOS would be totally useless.

I contacted XFX and AMD as I promised. Here is what I know so far:
XFX can not and will not release any special BIOS for an end-user to manage issues like I described above. They sent me the very same BIOS that NumbComic sent here - obviously it didn't solve my issue. They also sent me another BIOS, designed for mining - however it wasn't something I would want, as TDP is lowered there to just 125W, GPU clocks remains at 1200MHz I believe, memory is capped at 1500MHz. This isn't something I wanted. They also advised me to adjust VRAM voltage via Wattman software (which is not possible XD because Wattman allows you to adjust only GPU voltages). Ultimately when I told them their solutions aren't working for me - a technician advised me to RMA my card... which probably wouldn't work, as my card officially doesn't support 14Gbps memory ;)

After that I decided to contact "the king" - AMD Tech support.
I described everything in a great detail, I gave them possible solutions to this issue (that would be really helpful to a larger number of users, not just me!). Unfortunately their answer was quite underwhelming. They said, that my card was working fine with 12Gbps BIOS, and wasn't working with 6Gbps BIOS (??? 6Gbps ??? never heard of this!). Then some yada yada yada talk, and finally - they said I should contact XFX to solve this issue from the BIOS side! Really useful tip, thanks AMD.

So as you can see, nothing can be done about it. I guess something could change if some big tech-youtubers raised this subject, but unfortunately (or fortunately? huh) the issues apply to few % of all RX 5600 XTs.

Our only hope is to look forward to getting some BIOS modding tools allowing to change VRAM voltage, which tbh I'm not expecting to come soon / at all.

Personally I won't do anything for now with my card, I won't RMA it, as the performance is ok anyway - and it doesn't support 14Gbps memory officially.

Greetings!
Mike

P.S. My AMD tech ticket is opened till 18.07, so if you have any clever idea on how to get something more from them than just the answer I got - go ahead and let me know!

Last edited:

rodriesp

Hi Mike! Thanks for your answer!! At least another user "betrayed" by the 14 Gbps thing...hahaha

Did you have to underclock your GPU manually to get it working? Ugh that sucks man, you should probably RMA your card.

Well, yes you're right. The point is that I did purchase this card in Amazon but I live in Argentina and probably sending it back for an RMA would cost 50% of the GPU's value...heheh damn.
Anyway, if you look at the supposed Boost Clocks for these cards are not 1780 MHz, instead 1560 MHz in the original AMD spec and 1620 MHz in some boosted editions...

I personally, seem to have found a sweet spot of 1620 MHz and 980 mV. So, the performance it's "great".

unofficial Bios flash software (that allows to flash modded BIOS) works only with RX 5700 and 5700 XT cards.

Hey, no! According to what igorslab says here...there is already a soft which allows to do this the 5600!! https://www.igorslab.de/en/new-amd-flash-tool-3-04-for-the-work-with-the-red-bios-editor-rbe/

Today I have been testing again...and for the moment I am doing fine with my memory at 14 Gbps. Look at the AMD soft image I'm attaching so you may try the same settings...
What I did, is flashing this BIOS... https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/221159/xfx-rx5600xt-6144-200327 and, obviously setting the GPU Clock down to 1560/1620 and 980 mV.

Tell me what you think! In case this works fine...I am planning to make a custom BIOS, setting the memory to perhaps 1700MHz (as a bit more stable than 14 Gbps which is 1750), this corrected GPU clock and better temperature management. This XFX have the target temp fixed around 85 ºC, but the coolers can do quietly down to at least 65 ºC...so why running hot??

And, for last...please have a look at this link. https://www.igorslab.de/en/radeon-r...mits-and-benchmark-morepowertool-tutorial/10/
I did not try it myself, but apparently there igorslab says that it does not depend on the vendors which memory chips are used, and that all should be able to do 14 Gbps...

Summing up...I still do not understand anything... :laugh:

Keep me updated!!

Attachments

• wattman.png
    wattman.png
    50.9 KB · Views: 131

lseurttyuu

I personally, seem to have found a sweet spot of 1620 MHz and 980 mV. So, the performance it's "great".
If it pleases you, that's good I guess!

there is already a soft which allows to do this the 5600
Well, theoretically it works, granted, but practically... I think there's still a problem. I'll quote an user (nicknamed TOMPPIX) from another forum. The post was written 5th June 2020 (so definitely after AMD Flash-Tool 3.04+ release):

"red bios editor is not compatible with the 5600 xt, as soon as you run a bios through it you can't boot it doesn't get passed the post beep.
tried to just making a non modified bios with RBE and even that fails. the bios gets flashed but it can't boot. i used the igpu to get into windows and confirm that the product name has changed."

So definitely something is out of place here. I won't test it, because I don't have integrated GPU, or any other spare GPU (so if I brick my card, I won't be able to unbrick it).

I am planning to make a custom BIOS
The idea itself is brilliant, but as I mentioned above - it may be still not possible.

please have a look at this link
This article was written in January 2020. As far as I know (and remember), AMD was trying to block SPPT mod for newer drivers. But I'm not sure about it, but if you have some free time, feel free to test it out!

WateroGalactico

Hi guys, I have a doubt about my Rx 5600 xt thicc 3 pro, which I have "update" the vBIOS, but seeing the pics that you posted, I'm still having the "stock" vBios and when I try to update, this message appears:
problemas.png

As you can see, I still have the 12gbps bios, I follow the instructions that XFX provide. I don't know what to do, or if it's ok. Thanks for the help!

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
You click "load image", select the BIOS file, click "program", reboot, and then GPU-Z should show the correct clocks

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080

You downloaded this? It's 1500 MHz, seems they uploaded the wrong BIOS

lseurttyuu

Yes, I downloaded the indicated Bios, I'm going to contact XFX to solve the problem, I think that you're right, they uploaded the wrong bios

This pro-tunes bios file seems ok to me. Memory clock is 1500MHz - that is standard for their pro-tuned bioses. GPU clock is slightly lower than Ultra edition (you have Pro edition, am I right?), but the boost clock is 1750MHz, so that is the most important thing here anyway. According to official xfx site, Pro-tuned bios for your card should have 1615MHz base GPU clock - and that's what we can see. Test your performance with 3DMark, compare your result with ours - it'll be an interesting case to discuss :)

System Name i'm done in
Processor AMD 5950x
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory GSkil 64gb 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) Power Color R7900xtx Hell Hound oh hell ya
Storage 2x wd sn770 2tb 1-4tb wd- hd 2x8tb wd hd actually 1 fire cuda
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 1440p 32" 165hz hdr monitor might go oled
Case Corsair 4000D Air Flow
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G5 80+ Gold
Mouse logitech and roccet wcord
Keyboard logitech
Software W10 forever
you have the wrong vbios version you are looking far 017.001.00.068.000000 NOT 017.001.000.049.000000.XFX WILL NOT provide a 14gbs vbios for a card that was 12 gbs memory period.You might as well try talking to a fence post.I used the new thicc lll pro bios to flash mine. it can be found on this site.Not all cards will operate at 14gbs unless the video card box is 14gbs certified.If you flash your card and it bricks XFX will not in any way repair/refund/replace product. you are on your own.I took a chance and it worked.

boost clock is set to 1820 with +10 power limit
gpu voltage is .983
memory is .850 same as 12gbs cards
memory speed is set to 1750 but will do 1860 or 14.88gbs i leave it at 1750(14gbs) 1860 does not appear to make that much of a difference.
i run the fan at 60% and don't even hear it(headphones) and it runs as cool as a cucumber.
All card adjustments that i use are made using msi afterbunner.
3dmark graphic score 7571 with a amd 2600@4ghz and xfx rx 5600xt and above settings

Last edited: