• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XFX RX Vega 56 Double Edition bios

Dimz

Hi everyone! Can anyone help me with XFX RX Vega 56 Double Edition bios? Couldn't find one on the net. Mine seem to have reference bios (aftermarket). GPU-Z shows 1590 Mhz default clock, which is too high for a nano (1138/1474 MHz Boost Clock).

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Hi everyone! Can anyone help me with XFX RX Vega 56 Double Edition bios? Couldn't find one on the net. Mine seem to have reference bios (aftermarket). GPU-Z shows 1590 Mhz default clock, which is too high for a nano (1138/1474 MHz Boost Clock).
The rated clock speed of the card and the maximum boost clock set in the bios are not the same.
The 1138/1474 MHz clocks are just the expected clock speeds the card will reach with the Cooling and the TDP setting in the bios.

1471 MHz / 1156 MHz is the rated clock speed of the reference RX Vega 56, yet all of them have 2 bios with 1590Mhz max clock speed setting.
Just the default TDP cap is different on the 2 bios. So there is nothing wrong what so ever with your bios.

Last edited:

Dimz

Thanks for the answer. Yes, it seems the card wasn't flashed or anything, but its not functioning properly. Barely managed to install the drivers, now getting the same error again (thread stuck in device driver, win7/win10 (fresh install,2 different rigs). Today my screen just gone black when system was idle. R9 290 working just fine, even without reinstalling the drivers. I think its hardware related afterall, gonna have to return it.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
White Sticker pictures off of back of card please

Dimz

Theres "3 month warranty" sticker on the backplate, forgot to mention that. I'm gonna return the card to the seller. The thread is no longer relevant, I assume. Thanks everyone.

You've tried both BIOSes right?

This BIOS is one of them.
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/198618/198618

That's the only one here. Not sure if that's because both are the same, or somehow nobody's uploaded the other one.

Anyway...it probably has nothing to do with the BIOS. And everything to do with the card itself.
https://hardforum.com/threads/xfx-vega-56-dual-fan-you-should-probably-avoid-this-travesty.1953602/

There's an XFX support rep that can be tagged if you want more help with it in this thread too. @XFXSuppor_ just change the "_" to a "t" and post a reply with that added to it.

Dimz

Thanks for your reply. Actually, I haven't flashed any bios, because according to AtiWinFlash it has original bios. I think that "3 month warranty" sticker on the backplate explains it all (silly me). Another warranty sticker on the screw is there too tho. I'm not sure if this card has dual bios or not, couldn't find any visible switch (its nano PCB). As far as I know official XFX warranty for this card is 3 years, not some 3 months (wat), so the card is probably a "miner's gift". @XFXSupport might clarify on that :)
@MrGenius I've red that thread, actually the card seemed good actually (while it was working yesterday) , cold & quiet (30C in idle, 70C under load in The Witcher 3), when I thought that I finally got it to work, I got black screen/cable not connected. After that I tried it with a new monitor today, it couldn't handle 4K/60Hz, screen started blinking/pink colors/black&white grain etc. Then I decided to reinstall the drivers (safe mode>DDU>Restart>Drivers installation>BSOD), it refused to load even in safe mode(stuck on amdkmpfd.sys), so I switched back to R9 290.

Last edited:
...according to AtiWinFlash it has original bios.
ATIWinflash has no way of knowing that the BIOS is original. It will refuse to flash a new BIOS if it's the same as the BIOS that's already on the card. Is that where you got the idea that it was the original BIOS?

Anyhow. Here's the dual BIOS switch.
XFX RX Vega 56 Double Edition BIOS switch.png

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Thanks for the answer. Yes, it seems the card wasn't flashed or anything, but its not functioning properly. Barely managed to install the drivers, now getting the same error again (thread stuck in device driver, win7/win10 (fresh install,2 different rigs). Today my screen just gone black when system was idle. R9 290 working just fine, even without reinstalling the drivers. I think its hardware related afterall, gonna have to return it.
It's a driver issue, i had the same , clean install ,i had it on vega And polaris.

But also, that pic , the tims shit ,too thick(implies it was not clamped right to spread out,) and There is None on the HBM stacks wtf???

Damnit , why you posting other guy pic's , disassemble take pictures ,if it looks like that then that's it:D

Last edited:
The pic is not mine, but ATIWinflash shows the same for me.
That's the BIOS I posted the link to above.

Which looks like this when loaded in ATIWinflash 2.84.
XFX RX Vega 56 Double Edition BIOS.PNG

The P/N is shown more completely in the latest version(2.84) of ATIWinflash. The image size is different because of the way ATIWinflash sees the size of an image on the card vs. an image that's been saved as a backup. 40000 bytes in hexadecimal = 262,144 bytes(256KiB ≈ 256KB) in decimal. And the CRC would be different if it was a different BIOS(with perhaps a similar, or the same, P/N)

Dimz

Ok, thanks again, appreciate your help. I'll try and change the switch position first, then load the BIOS you've posted above into ATIWinflash and see what it'll show (the pic I posted is from some reddit guy with the same card). I'll report back tomorrow, it is past midnight here.

Dimz

Sooo, bios switching didn't help. It only works in safe mode and under standard VGA windows driver, then I get BSOD either way (atikmdag.sys). I still need that clarification about "3 months warranty" sticker, @XFXSupport please respond. If it means it was refurbished, I will return it right away. Heres my atiflash reading with loaded bios MrGenius posted in this thread. Haven't flashed anything, dunno which one I should overwrite.

Attachments

• atiflash_284 VGA driver.jpg
    atiflash_284 VGA driver.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 583

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD

zanzabar

Xtreme Refugee
Processor e6850
Motherboard foxconn blackops
Cooling mcr220, mcp355 w/EK v1 g3/8, dtek v2, mcw30
Memory gskill HZ w/micron gts
Video Card(s) 3870
Storage 2x samsung 501j
Display(s) trinitron 24"
Case p180b
Audio Device(s) SBA2 plat pro
Power Supply 750TX
Software server08
Ok, thanks again, appreciate your help. I'll try and change the switch position first, then load the BIOS you've posted above into ATIWinflash and see what it'll show (the pic I posted is from some reddit guy with the same card). I'll report back tomorrow, it is past midnight here.

I bought the same card and had the same problem. You need to ether boot in non UEFI mode, boot with pci-e1 or 3 (not 2.) Then you can install the current driver and everything works fine with pci-e2 and UEFI.

Both of the bios are the same on the card, and it detects 1590mhz/150W +-50% in GPUz. Mine also had not enough thermal paste on the HBM. It apparantly uses hynx chips on the raised interposer, but they are not level with the gpu. I had to repaste it and used a bunch to make sure the HBM had contact. I might order thermal putty for it if it has problems later.