• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XFX RX480 8GB Black Edition - UEFI CSM Bug

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I have tried different cables DVI and HDMI to DVI and DVI TO VGA my monitor only supports DVI and VGA in1440 x 900 monitor and cables have been tested on another computer and have no issues.n Recently in the last day it has developed a flashing to black screen at 1440x900, the monitor and cables do not do this on the other computer so I do not believe it is the monitor, the problem seems to only occur on this crappy card worst 450 bucks I ever spent. only works with the 16.7.3 driver that came on the disk and now it is not liking my monitors native resolution.

I asked, have you tried a different monitor on that card?

Processor Amd FX8350
Motherboard Gigabyte GA990XFA UD5 R5
Cooling Corsair H115i AIO
Memory GSKILL RIPJAWS F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL (X2 32GB)
Video Card(s) XFX RADEON RX 480 GTR 8GB GDDR5 TRUE OC 1338MHZ BLACK EDITION RX-480P8DBA6
Storage Crucial MX300 275 GB SSDrADEON R3SL240G x2 Raid(1)
Display(s) LG L196w
Power Supply corsair CX750M
Mouse who cares
Keyboard Who cares
Software Wndows 7 Pro sp1
BE = Black Edition ALL OF THEM. It was NEVER specified which freaking model number BE it's for...BECAUSE THAT'S IRRELEVANT! You're making this way more complicated than it needs to be. Make a backup of your original vBios. Flash the fixed vBios provided on the first page. If it doesn't work flash it back to the original vBios. If you think it's going to brick your card or something...that shows exactly how little you know. Trust me on this. It's perfectly safe. If you want to keep rambling on and complaining without actually trying to fix the problem go right ahead. But I...for one...would appreciate it if you did it elsewhere.

Thanks!

BTW...you're wrong about the different memory thing. They all(Black Edition) have the exact same Samsung chips. And they're all clocked the same too. Close enough. 1338 or 1328 core. Memory is the same clocks for all though(2000). Or should I say both. Since there's only 2 models.

EDIT: I downloaded the fixed vBios from the first page and opened it with PBE.

Core Clock = 1328MHz
Memory Clock = 2000MHz
Memory Support = (Samsung) K4G80325FB

HINT: Download PBE(<-- Link to download Polaris Bios Editor v1.5). Save your vBios with GPU-Z. Open it with PBE. If it says K4G80325FB under VRAM...which I'm 99.9999% sure it will...then you have ABSOLUTELY nothing to worry about as far as bricking your card by flashing the vBios on the first page. Case closed.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Try the card in another machine, even if it means going to frys, microcenter, bestbuy and letting them test it, if it does the same then it is most certain the card is bunk, but another note is the motherboard bios installed along with the motherboard chipset drivers too?

Last edited:
Processor Amd FX8350
Video Card(s) XFX RADEON RX 480 GTR 8GB GDDR5 TRUE OC 1338MHZ BLACK EDITION RX-480P8DBA6
Display(s) LG L196w
Mouse who cares
Keyboard Who cares
Good Point eidairaman1 I will check the motherboard bios. How Little I Know, Really MrGenius LOL I did not come here to be talked down to or insulted. I came here looking knowledge as to why this card only works with one driver and the rest cause the screen corruption, I thought maybe someone else has run into similar problems of this exact nature and may have some insight to offer. as I am not a software genius nor do i claim to be one.
Just to let you know I am not a stupid man I am in fact a retired 51 year old Technician, I hold a MCSE and A++ certification's I have my inter provincial Journeyman's Electronic Technician License and have worked the telecommunications industry repairing Internet Routers and DNS servers so everyone like you can have internet, for over 10 years, I was zapped by more microwaves than anyone was ever aware existed. And was forced into mandatory retirement because of leukemia, bone cancer and multiple sclerosis all due to long term Microwave absorption no doubt. but thank you kindly for your input there is no need to be rash and insulting

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
T
Good Point eidairaman1 I will check the motherboard bios. How Little I Know, Really MrGenius LOL I did not come here to be talked down to or insulted. I came here looking knowledge as to why this card only works with one driver and the rest cause the screen corruption, I thought maybe someone else has run into similar problems of this exact nature and may have some insight to offer. as I am not a software genius nor do i claim to be one.
Just to let you know I am not a stupid man I am in fact a retired 51 year old Technician, I hold a MCSE and A++ certification's I have my inter provincial Journeyman's Electronic Technician License and have worked the telecommunications industry repairing Internet Routers and DNS servers so everyone like you can have internet, for over 10 years, I was zapped by more microwaves than anyone was ever aware existed. And was forced into mandatory retirement because of leukemia, bone cancer and multiple sclerosis all due to long term Microwave absorption no doubt. but thank you kindly for your input there is no need to be rash and insulting

Pardon latest bios lol. Seems we are from a pretty similar background

Last edited:
Processor Amd FX8350
Display(s) LG L196w
Mouse who cares
Keyboard Who cares
T

Pardon latest bios lol. Seems from a pretty similar background
Seems to be the card don't think bios will fix it. XFX has pulled the performance and stealth bios from their site so it may be an issue. Went ahead and ordered a RX-580 while waiting on XFX support, Hopefully it wont take a weeks for them to respond. In the mean time the RX-480 is still crunching Seti at Home data

I really wish people would stop referencing a thread like this, read for 15 seconds, then decide to flash their bios, brick their card, then void their warranty. Then come limping back to us saying "Ooops".

If you think you need a bios update your radeon card, you probably dont. if you want to be sure, make an official inquiry at xfxsupport.com or your manufacturers website.

Processor Amd FX8350
Display(s) LG L196w
Mouse who cares
Keyboard Who cares
I really wish people would stop referencing a thread like this, read for 15 seconds, then decide to flash their bios, brick their card, then void their warranty. Then come limping back to us saying "Ooops".

If you think you need a bios update your radeon card, you probably dont. if you want to be sure, make an official inquiry at xfxsupport.com or your manufacturers website.
Ya I agree 100% I will not flash the card unless it is the proper file, I know how to use flash utilities and have several EEprom programmers and a pile of other diagnostic equipment I collected over the years. I am going to RMA the card. but cant do so until the new card gets here, hopefully it wont take too long because it is on back order, they are blaming the miners, but I thing is is a planned shortage in order to drive up prices and market demand, these cards are selling way above the M.S.R.P All I want to do is play my Dues Ex mankind Divided and a 9600 GT does not cut it, IT'S AS ANCIENT AS I AM LOL

Last edited:

un_little_gender

There is a fix for this, its a very limited run error so we shouldn't see much more of it. please see this messages attachment for the .rom file

I'm happy to inform that this vBIOS can be flashed on to a 8GB XFX RX 480 XXX RS edition and it fixes the CSM / Windows 8.1 feature bug.

I personally did not know if the cryptographic signature would work, since OP asked for help with the GTR edition, hence the bump. Thank you, @XFXSupport.

Edit: Please note, it seems as it bricked the fan curve/pwm sensitivity! Fans are reporting fan speed @20% and 700 rpm, but the fans on this (RS) card can't spin up util they reach ~35 %, and the above mentioned GTR vbios fan curve is set to 20% @65C, so it's running much hotter without any airflow and perhaps ruining the fans (idk?). I'm speculating, whether this could destroy the VRM components on the the RS model with this GTR bios?

Last edited: