• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XFX RX580 8GB GTS XXX Edition - UEFI CSM Bug

Processor Ryzen 5 1600
Memory 8 GB
Video Card(s) RX 580 8 GB
Display(s) 34" 2560 x 1080
Software Windows 10
Hello,

I'm having issue with my XFX RX580 8GB and CSM(Compatibility Support Module) disabled. This results in my screen getting artifacts during POST screen only. I am still able to boot right in to Windows perfectly. I suspect there is an UEFI issue with the VBIOS. The card is functioning perfectly fine and this bug is harmless, but it is sure annoying.

My issue seems to be exactly the same as this fella from XFX RX480 8GB Black Edition - UEFI CSM Bug. So it seems this issue is specific to XFX cards.

Hopefully I can receive the same response from a XFX support, that will be nice. Thanks!

[UPDATE]
I've just received a reply from XFX support saying

3/27/2018 1:51:35 AM By yeung@pnl Type:2
Hello,

I have tested on our pc and can't repeat the problem. Please try updating the motherboard BIOS and see if it help.

Regards

However, updating my motherboard bios further to P4.X will result in additional problem since the new bios was introduced for Raven Ridge. I would like to ask if anyone is having this issue with CSM disabled/ Ultra fast boot, or any one with similar graphics card or as mine, or any Ryzen motherboards with similar settings. Thanks!

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5 1600
Memory 8 GB
Software Windows 10

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
there is a Company Rep who is on this Site @XFXSupport
Not sure how often he vists ( not seen him in a while).
Last seen Yesterday at 12:38 AM
You could Contact him by PM
In the pm you can discuss what info you need to give such as sku / Serial Num / proof of purchace and who you comunicated with at XFX Support
Please don't post that info in thread keep it to PM only

Ps you should remove that email address unless you want to be spammed to hell and back

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5 1600
Memory 8 GB
Software Windows 10
In the pm you can discuss what info you need to give such as sku / Serial Num / proof of purchace and who you comunicated with at XFX Support

Ps you should remove that email address unless you want to be spammed to hell and back

Thanks! I have pmed him with the relevant information.

I'm sorry, what email address?

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
first post in quoted reply
edit "its not your address so no need to edit out :)

Processor Ryzen 5 1600
Memory 8 GB
Software Windows 10
Ohh that yeung@pnl? That belongs to the XFX support personnel who I was in contact with from the official website.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
this is accually probably the fault of the motherboard bios a incorrect display mode definition in the boards bios will cause this
is there any reason you need CSM enabled you shouldn't enable it unless you are booting a non-efi os

Processor Ryzen 5 1600
Memory 8 GB
Software Windows 10
this is accually probably the fault of the motherboard bios a incorrect display mode definition in the boards bios will cause this
is there any reason you need CSM enabled you shouldn't enable it unless you are booting a non-efi os

Hi. Sorry, what I meant this whole time is to disable CSM. I get the bug with CSM disabled, I would preferably want to have CSM disabled in order to "utilize" UEFI/ Ultra fast boot even though I don't actually much of a different. Then again, it shouldn't be "broken", if you know what I meant...

The fault of the motherboard bios? But why does the sapphire vbios work? Or is it the fault of compatibility between the two brands?

Last edited:
Hello, I encoutered the same bug with a XFX RX580 GTS, my motherboard is a z87 gigabyte board. Except this artefacts on boot, rest looks to be ok.
Any fix for this ? i tried to raise a ticket with XFX as well. Nothing yet.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Processor Ryzen 5 1600
Memory 8 GB
Software Windows 10
I thought this thread was forgotten. To update what happened so far, this was never solved. XFX told me a small user is reporting this issue so they are not doing anything about it. It's just a fix for the splash screen:(

I thought this thread was forgotten. To update what happened so far, this was never solved. XFX told me a small user is reporting this issue so they are not doing anything about it. It's just a fix for the splash screen:(

Luckily i have a 30 day return policy on any component, no questions asked. I will get my xfx 580 back and get a gigabyte vega 64 next month. I need this for hackintosh build, my gtx1060 is working perfectly but apple does not support it officially, like polaris cards.

I also noticed that my mouse and keyboard become dark during windows boot, and do not come back , only 1 minute after the login screen on win10 (clean reinstall) . Again gtx1060 no issue like this.

:(

XFX told me a small user is reporting this issue so they are not doing anything about it. It's just a fix for the splash screen:(
So they're basically admitting it's their fault. But not enough people have complained about it, and it's nothing major. So they just don't give AF? :wtf:

That's pretty weak.
-1 rep for you XFX. :nutkick:

Probably this happens on older motherboards (damn, i can’t believe z87 is old already) so there is not much interest to invest hours in fixing this.

Probably a bios update would fix the issue , just like it did for RX480 . Yeah, i’m taking my card back. Not cool anyhow...

Edit :

Card returned, money back. Looking at Vega 64 now, hopefully the Gigabyte variant will be ok.

Last edited:

ektorasdj

Hello guys i know this is an old forums but i just purchased a second hand xfx 580 gts black edition 8gb and i am experience the same problem.My motherboard is msi z77ag45.Did anyone ever find a bios file that fixes this problem? Thanks

ixi

Hello guys i know this is an old forums but i just purchased a second hand xfx 580 gts black edition 8gb and i am experience the same problem.My motherboard is msi z77ag45.Did anyone ever find a bios file that fixes this problem? Thanks
If you would have read top comment you would know the answer :). And no, old mobo, nobody cares.

ixi

Probably this happens on older motherboards (damn, i can’t believe z87 is old already) so there is not much interest to invest hours in fixing this.

Probably a bios update would fix the issue , just like it did for RX480 . Yeah, i’m taking my card back. Not cool anyhow...

Edit :

Card returned, money back. Looking at Vega 64 now, hopefully the Gigabyte variant will be ok.

7 years have passed since z87 was launched. , time flies. Intel 4xxx series is history. Same as mine 6700k . Though I'm glad because upgrade is incoming!

D

Deleted member 193706

Download the gopupd file in the 2nd post and follow the instructions in the op, you may need to install python and colorama

Im still here! im much more reactive these days, but i dont miss a pm/tag when im needed.

edit - i realize i just replied to an old reply instead of the newest. Forgive me, its early.

Rusman

@XFXSupport Who is talking about the issue on old mobos? I have just upgraded my PC to ASUS Pro WS x570-ACE with Ryzen 3950x. Mobo BIOS is the latest one - 1302. I am having the exact same problem. However, the issue is worse for me now too. If I restart the PC from Windows, the screen will stay black and won't display anything, and I need to hard restart just to be greeted with a Green/Artifacts screen, but, at least, now it boots.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback

dead card

SH4D0WBROK3R

Oh my...

I found the post by a duckduck search, I thought this only happened on old boards.

I was using a Intel DD61WW (yes I was still using it, Costa Rica is not a country known to be cheap on electronics) and a i5 3570k, I precisely thought my problem was as the other guys up here on the post.

Now that I bought an Athlon 3000G to get a Gigabyte AX370 that I traded in for some other parts, the same thing happens, force UEFI only boot, and the thing hangs, LEDs on the diagnostics go 00 and blame the VGA.

In my case this is happening with this card.

I'm only grabbing the link from techpowerup, I don't know if I have that exact same BIOS, will post in a bit.

Edit: yes, my BIOS is the same posted in that link.

Now my question is, how do I flash the VBIOS to one that works and won't screw my card?

Anyone willing to help, would be appreciated...

Last edited:

gabbaking

Hey guys, Bumping the old thread. Same with XFX 8gb card and was wondering can be done solve the issue as I would to unable fast boot on.