• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Xiaomi and their fake advertising , is it true ?

Hi everyone! I recently bought Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 standard edition (dual rear camera setup) (model number : MEE7s) , I had high expectations for the camera judging by all the fuss on youtube channels about how great the camera is and how it's "the best camera in the mid-range segment" but I was extremely disappointed with how my camera performed , images taken in medium light environment were extremely noisy and flat , the edges were poorly isolated and the overall picture quality was just worse than a 5 Mega Pixel camera, and I think that they did this on purpose via software update to force people to buy the new Redmi note 6 pro.

so I posted on all of their forums asking them what is going on ,and I contacted them via E-Mail 2 days ago but still no answer from them ,and I don't think that I will receive any answer soon (if I do at all).
is this problem only occurring with my phone or is it a common bug in all other phones ? and if the company did it on purpose can it be fixed manually by me by rooting and installing a custom camera app ? or does it HAVE to be fixed by them ?

please share your opinions here , everyone is welcome , thank you .

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel G4400
Motherboard ASUS STRIX
Cooling Deepcool Ice Edge
Memory 8 Gb Team Delta 2
Video Card(s) Radeon R250
Storage Seagate 1 TB, 4Tb and SSD A-Data 128 Gb
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Stock
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse A4Tech X7
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 10 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
Megapixel is pic resolution not the quality
You may have bad camera, have you tried using any camera apps to test it?
Try to reset your phone too
If all gives you no better result RMA it

Megapixel is pic resolution not the quality
You may have bad camera, have you tried using any camera apps to test it?
Try to reset your phone too
If all gives you no better result RMA it
yeah but 5 MP is usually bad resolution which leads to bad quality

I have tried custom camera apps without getting any improvements
can I return it to aliexpress seller ?

System Name Hallowed Be Thy Name
Processor FX-6300 @4,0 GHz/ i5-2400 @3,1 GHz
Motherboard ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0/ Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40-TB /w Akasa Viper/ CM Seidon 120V Ver.2
Memory 2x4 GB G.Skill Ares @1600 MHz/ 2x4 GB Adata @1333 MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA FTW GTX1050Ti 4GB/ Palit GTX750Ti StormX OC 2GB
Storage WD Blue 1TB 7200 rpm x2
Display(s) LG 23MP68VQ-P/ ASUS VW190DE
Case Zalman Z3 Plus /w 5x Scythe Glidestream / Deepcool Smarter /w 2x Scythe Slipstream
Audio Device(s) Onboard x2
Power Supply OCZ ZS 550W / FSP Hexa+ 400W
Mouse Sharkoon Shark Force / Microsoft Intellimouse 1.1A
Keyboard Lenovo SK-8825 / Older Than Me
Software W7 Ultimate 64-bit/ W7 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Turns on on the first try!
Have other users complained about the same issue? If they didn't I don't think it would be a valid reason for returning the phone. The reviews show images shot in a specific condition which you cannot usually reproduce so the image quality can sort of be deceiving.

Have other users complained about the same issue? If they didn't I don't think it would be a valid reason for returning the phone. The reviews show images shot in a specific condition which you cannot usually reproduce so the image quality can sort of be deceiving.
I have seen 1 other complaint like mine , they said that after the recent update the camera started to produce terrible images , however I just bought the phone so I haven't tried the old software , the moment I opened the phone it told me it wanted to update , and I allowed it to do so (like any other human would do)

I don't really care about the camera since I rarely take any photos , but I bought multiple units in order to give to family and friends , and the camera aspect is important to them

looks like mining card with modified bios to me
I don't understand , the performance of the phone is perfect , no lags and it can run pubg on high settings on 60 fps no problems , it's just the camera (and the battery but I fixed it)

Processor i7 8700k 4.8Ghz @ 1.31v
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X @ 2100/5500
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Eizo Foris FG2421
Case Fractal Design Define C TG
Power Supply EVGA G2 750w
Mouse Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum
Keyboard Sharkoon MK80 (Brown)
Software W10 x64
If you bought multiple for relatives then check a few of them and see if the camera is equally shit on those.

If it is, you know its normal. If its not, you can RMA the bad one. Don't believe the internet based on search hits... its proven extremely unreliable.

System Name Scrapped Parts, Unite !
Processor i5-2500 @ 3.3 Ghz//Q9300 @ 2.5 Ghz
Motherboard GA-H67MA-USB3-B3// P35 Neo2-FR
Cooling Stock
Memory 10 GB DDR3 1333 // 3 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame GeForce GTX1060 Vulcan U 6G // ASUS ENGT 220 1GD3
Storage Hitachi 500 GB, Sony 1TB, KINGSTON 400A 120GB // Samsung 160 GB
Display(s) HP 2009f
Case Xigmatek Asgard Pro // Cooler Master Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply OCZ ModXStream Pro 500 W
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Minesweeper 30fps, Tetris 40 fps, with overheated CPU and GPU
I don't understand , the performance of the phone is perfect , no lags and it can run pubg on high settings on 60 fps no problems , it's just the camera (and the battery but I fixed it)
Sorry I posted reply on wrong thread, Just ignore my post

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
yeah but 5 MP is usually bad resolution which leads to bad quality
Not True the Camera unit fitted to Phones Vary in quality ( and so price )
in the End you get what you pay for
a 3mp Carl zeiss as fitted to many phones will out perform a no brand 5mp

Not True the Camera unit fitted to Phones Vary in quality ( and so price )
in the End you get what you pay for
a 3mp Carl zeiss as fitted to many phones will out perform a no brand 5mp
I do get what I pay for , but I wonder how every youtuber said the camera is good , while what I see in front of me is not

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 8700K@4.8GHz(Quick and dirty)
Motherboard AsRock Z370 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H110i GTX w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB Corsair DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix GTX 1080Ti
Storage 500GB Crucial MX500 + 2TB Seagate Solid State Hybrid Drive with 480GB MX200 SSD Cache
Display(s) QNIX QX2710 1440p@120Hz
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
the best camera in the mid-range segment
You have to realize that this isn't saying much. You bought is cheap phone, and while it has a decent camera in good lighting, no phone this cheap is going to take any kind of decent picture in low light. Heck, really expensive phones still struggle to take decent low light pictures.

In fact, the first review I watched on the Redmi Note 5 specifically points out the phone takes good pictures if you have plenty of light, but the pictures are blurry and grainy in low light. The second review says pretty much the same thing about low light. So it seems the issues you are complaining about is just how the phone is, and has been since it came out because these reviews are now several months old from when the phone launched.

Last edited:
You have to realize that this isn't saying much. You bought is cheap phone, and while it has a decent camera in good lighting, no phone this cheap is going to take any kind of decent picture in low light. Heck, really expensive phones still struggle to take decent low light pictures.
but room lighting is not that low , my Samsung galaxy J7 2015 used to take better photos than the RN5 in the same lighting conditions.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 8700K@4.8GHz(Quick and dirty)
Motherboard AsRock Z370 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H110i GTX w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB Corsair DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix GTX 1080Ti
Storage 500GB Crucial MX500 + 2TB Seagate Solid State Hybrid Drive with 480GB MX200 SSD Cache
Display(s) QNIX QX2710 1440p@120Hz
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
but room lighting is not that low , my Samsung galaxy J7 2015 used to take better photos than the RN5 in the same lighting conditions.
That's the roll of the dice you take with budget phones. I think your expectations of the camera is just too high. I haven't seen any review of the Redmi Note 5 that praises the camera, they all say it is mediocre at best, but good for a budget phone.

That's the roll of the dice you take with budget phones. I think your expectations of the camera is just too high. I haven't seen any review of the Redmi Note 5 that praises the camera, they all say it is mediocre at best, but good for a budget phone.
well then it doesn't matter anymore , I only care about the performance and it's perfect for me (currently) , so I better sell those "gift" phones and buy new ones for my relatives

thank you for your reply

System Name Evil Midget
Processor i3-6100
Motherboard MSI B150I PRO AC
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i
Memory 2x8GB Kinkston HyperX DDR4-2133 CL14
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX950 MINI
Storage Samsung XP941, Sandisk X400 512GB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case LianLi Q11B
Audio Device(s) Int.
Power Supply SeaSonic 450W 80+ GOLD
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Zalman K500 modded
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Can fit into a backpack =)
is this problem only occurring with my phone or is it a common bug in all other phones ? and if the company did it on purpose can it be fixed manually by me by rooting and installing a custom camera app ? or does it HAVE to be fixed by them ?
If it's just you and a handful of people, it may simply be a defective phone or you've set your expectations way too high.
For the first example, my new Nokia 8 has a glitchy autofocus, and that's a high-end phone. In regards to the second situation - it happens a lot more often: most of the time if the review says "the camera is good", people expect it to be "great". In reality, when they realise that the camera is simply "good", they immediately complain that it's awful.

In general their cameras are quite adequate. I am still using my Mi4 as a work camera at my office. Low-light conditions make those pics look a lot worse, but that's expected from any non-flagship phone.
You also need to look out for fingerprints and dirt on the camera glass, cause it may add some unwanted blur to the image.

This awful pic was taken on a cloudy rainy day after 5 cups of coffee. My weird flower, which blooms only once a year around Dec-Jan, decided to do it one more time in June...
IMG_20180506_153931.jpg
More stuff from work
IMG_20180427_120251.jpg

Unfortunately, not only Xiaomi makes good advertising which is not reflect the real quality of the phone characteristic.

If it's just you and a handful of people, it may simply be a defective phone or you've set your expectations way too high.
For the first example, my new Nokia 8 has a glitchy autofocus, and that's a high-end phone. In regards to the second situation - it happens a lot more often: most of the time if the review says "the camera is good", people expect it to be "great". In reality, when they realise that the camera is simply "good", they immediately complain that it's awful.

In general their cameras are quite adequate. I am still using my Mi4 as a work camera at my office. Low-light conditions make those pics look a lot worse, but that's expected from any non-flagship phone.
You also need to look out for fingerprints and dirt on the camera glass, cause it may add some unwanted blur to the image.

This awful pic was taken on a cloudy rainy day after 5 cups of coffee. My weird flower, which blooms only once a year around Dec-Jan, decided to do it one more time in June...
View attachment 108322
More stuff from work
View attachment 108324
as a matter of fact , my phone's camera takes pictures that are a LOT worse than these , I'd say that these are pretty decent , and if my phone took pictures with this quality then I would definitely not complain.