1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XP/SP3 -> To Win 7 or Win 8

Discussion in 'General Software' started by pepsi71ocean, Oct 19, 2012.

1. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have been thinking about upgrading windows for a while, since its almost EOL from what i know of it makes me wonder if the OS is finally dead.

Im not sure on what to do since im running XP, i am used to the look and well its XP, i have been running this OS type since 2002 ish even though i have since went to XP-SP3.

I was thinking that Win7 will drop in price after Win 8 comes out, but then again newegg gave me an introductory price for Win 8 at like 60-or 70 dollars.

At such a cheap price i have begun to think about making the jump. Actually i started thinking about it about a month ago, when i helped my friend build a new computer. He is running a cracked version of windows that turns out couldn't be registered, and i laughed because i expect that from his kind of luck, but for me i was thinking because XP is getting old and im not sure about how it is holding up in the security department.

One of the concerns i have already is that supposedly you have to buy Windows media player? And then i heard its not that good? is that comparing backwards to WMP 11, like for XP?

Any thoughts?

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Honestly I would just download the windows 8 preview and test it out, if you like it then hop on that but if metro turns it off for you then I would suggest windows 7 X64 home premium

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Honestly just go with windows7 64 bit.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Windows 7.

5. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    10 Year Member at TPU
  6. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Make sure you have all the drivers and such you need for Windows 8 and give it a try. If all your games and stuff work ok on it then I suggest you go to it. If your update window is every 6 or so years (going from XP to today) I think you should go with the latest OS release.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Windows 8 to try it out, download and install a third party program that gives the Start button and menu back.

8. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    If your gonna do this u might as well just get 7 which will drop in price when 8 releases..

8 has a vista feel to it, aka its gonna flop.

9. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I'd say go for Windows 8 if you actually try it for a few days and feel you like it. I would only upgrade to Windows 7 as a last resort, as I feel that upgrading to something that is already being replaced seems stupid considering Windows 8 isn't "bad" (although it seems loads of people disagree because *omg fullscreen start menu* that can be changed via 3rd party tools, or they read blog posts by uninformed people from a year ago or they are resistant to change and complain every single time MS releases a new OS).

Personally, I use Windows 8 on my laptop and have enjoyed the month of using it so far. My desktop is on Windows 7 still as I haven't prepared to migrate it to 8 yet, but I would like to upgrade it soon. Maybe AMD's less than great drivers will run better on Windows 8 since it has a new Windows Display Driver Model that has some improvements over WDDM 1.1 that Windows 7 uses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Display_Driver_Model#History

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  10. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    I tried the windows 8 build thats available and I thought it was a step backwards from 7.

Phusius says thanks.
  11. irlandezul

irlandezul

Thanks Received:
    Win7 for now , and wait for compatible drivers for win8 .

12. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    I prefer Windows 7 at this point. We messed around with Windows 8 as well as Server 2012 at work and we don't much care for them.

13. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    do you guys think win7 will drop in price by much? being it sounds like win8 is a dud

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. irlandezul

irlandezul

Thanks Received:
    Maybe the price will drop , but you will have to wait several month for that ...