• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Xtreme tuner questions

Dux

Hey guys. I just downloaded KFA 2 Xtreme tuner utility. I am familiar with MSI afterburner and EVGA precision, and i have used both extensively for overclocking my 1080Ti and RTX 2060 Super. However, unlike MSI and EVGA utilities, Xtreme tuner allows me to set Voltage on my RTX 2060 Super. But i'm not 100% sure here how that works. So i have CPU volt absolute setting in which i can set GPU voltage up to 1250mv. And below that i have GPU voltage offset like in MSI and EVGA utility.
So what should i set? With extensive testing and benchmarking with MSI afterbuner and kombustor. I see that my GPU voltage goes up to 900mv and frequency up to 1850Mhz under full load. That is if i set
How is offset and absolute voltage connected? Idk what this voltage offset means. What does it do? It's not TDP i guess because in MSI afterburner you have power limit setting.

Anyways, applying voltage and freqency in Extreme tuner will lock the GPU at max voltage and frequency. It doesn't adjust the frequency and voltage based on load any more. Fire hazard.JPG

Edit. OK so to post some results. With MSI afterburner overcloking my graphics card would throttle clocks at high GPU usage. Even if i was to set +100Mhz on core, this GPU would go from around 1950MHz on low GPU usage down to 1800-1850Mhz on high usage. With Extreme tuner voltage set to 1050mv (which is around + 0.100mv for this GPU)i was able to add +160MHz to the core and it was running at stable 2GHz in Deus EX Mankind Divided with GPU usage at 98%. It did not throttle like it does with MSI afterburner or EVGA precision. Which is great. I just need to mod my cooler with 2 high performance 120mm vents like Linus did in one of his videos.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dux

Did a shunt mod on my RTX 2060 super today. Not worth it really. Only managed to get extra 50MHz on core stable. Removed the mod.

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
if you oc then always put power limit to max-thats the first you reach on this newer cards unless ya do a shunt mod. unlink from temp target- i let mine at standard.

shunt mod is for power consumption limit (TDP)-ya should look at gpu-z and there ya would see that your power limit(TDP%) should go down a little if the mod is good
what did ya expect from shunt mod? this card will not do 200mhz more all of a sudden. 50mhz more is not bad.

did ya ever use the curve editor in msi ab?

and dont run too many sensor\oc tools at once-conflict ahead

you can choose between a steady voltage or an offset voltage in % same as on newer cpu´s.
one will downclock on mhz and volt other not.

read here under point 3 power limit overrides:

Last edited:

Dux

Can you explain to me the part on setting steady voltage in MSI? I know about the curve editor. I can set the frequency based on GPU voltage. But GPU will adjust voltage as it sees fit. I see the offset voltage in the main windows of Afterburner. But no option to set fixed Voltage. In Extreme tuner app, there is option to set voltage, but it locks the GPU at constant max voltage and frequency regardless of GPU usage.

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
in the curve editor just set 1x voltage point and your +mhz overclock and push strg+L and save

normally if it throttles with less volt in ab it should do it even earlier with more volt in x-tuner.

in x-tuner on the right side click on check mark besides absolute volt-then ya can set the offset volt below

this 1st video is not necessary anymore-read my 1st sentence.
look at those 2 videos of the creator of msi ab himself:
and read the info + questions under this 1st video. like only X skins are supported, XOC are not

in the curve editor just set 1x voltage point and your +mhz overclock and push strg+L and save

msiab-fixvolt.png

after hit apply:
msiab-voltfixed.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Dux

Dux

Interesting thing about MSI afterburner is that unlocking voltage control and raising voltage offset to +100% has ni impact whatsoever. I tried overclocking with +100% voltage offset and without any voltage offset. Zero difference in max GPU voltage and clock stability. It doesn't do anything.