1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XtremeSystems Forum Back Up!

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by CyberDruid, Apr 1, 2009.

1. xVeinx

xVeinx

Thanks Received:
    Dr. Sig will be available for counseling. His usual prescription is a couple quads on WCG though, if you prefer to avoid the consultation costs.

2. Jaco_xs Guest

I agree with you guys.

But then it's only a website/forum that's been down.
    No reason to crucify Charles imo . respect :pimp:

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    Worst part about XS down time, the pay system that was out in place right before this happened. There is going to be some really mad people.....

RedRaider says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Jaco_xs Guest

bad timing , unfortunately.
    otoh i don't feel like donating anything soon. Like to see a serious UPtime first :ohwell:

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. xVeinx

xVeinx

Thanks Received:
    I agree with people that having more info regarding when things might be back up, etc. might be nice. Like anyone else, I'm curious as to what happened. On the other hand, lets not take this TOO seriously. The paid access at best gave you a new avatar, etc. It's sole purpose was to help support the cost of the site, which was starting to be even more burdensome to Fugger. Better yet, the cost of getting new server hardware would have made things even more rough for him. If nothing else, the paid access thing gave him the money to be able to get that hardware right away.

It's a website. We love it. We love the people on it. We're addicted. But let's not let this become a huge deal. Even if things could have been handled better (either as an admin or in terms of communication), it really is a service that has cost us nothing over the lifetime of the website. If we take this for granted, thrashing Fugger and others, then we dishonor ourselves and the community in the process. Be grateful that someone has spent thousands of hours and thousands of dollars to bring you and thousands of others a happy little place in the interwebs these last few years. This isn't about being positive just because it's XS; this is about taking the broader perspective, the good and bad together, and giving Charles a little grace.

Shalamay and 123bob say thanks.
  6. twilyth Guest

Maybe I'm rehashing and maybe I don't have a sense for what does and doesn't matter to people, but my impression is that the biggest gripe is the lack of information. Yes, there is the money issue - making XS a quasi-commercial site I suppose - and yes there is the apparently poor planning and execution of "the upgrades." But I think those issues are an order of magnitude less significant than the absence of any meaningful communication - which while there was some, it was generally too little, too late and often conflicting. Once again - my 2cent.

The economy so bad 50cent is now 2 dimes and a nickel. :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. alucasa

alucasa

Thanks Received:
    Well, I paid the 25 dollars too but that does not bother me. What I am bothered with is the complete lack of information. Well, I've said that numerous times which is enough, so I will be quiet about that now.

8. fart_plume

fart_plume Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    You know here's the thing, there was info on the net within a day of the mishap that has kept XS down for longer than was planned, IF one took the time to contact people and or look for it. So quit the BS about no info. as one of the least informed on XS I found it no problem.

Two a mishap can happen to anyone. Can you control power outages or lighting strikes? I'm sorry but surge protectors no matter how much they tout their ability so stop a surge if that surge is big enough it'll still blast right though. Think about it lighting just jumped a mile from the clouds to Earth do you really think a semiconductor could handle that kind of power? Get real.

As for Charles he's a good guy with a big heart who tries his best, give the guy a break and get a friggin life, cause nothin' on the net is that important to hammer a guy for when he's trying...............

9. alucasa

alucasa

Thanks Received:
    I tried to contact ... Well, sent e-mails, got nothing. That was back in March 28th.
    I did know he was trying to upgrade to SSD. Then, there was nothing until a few days later Movieman said he was backing up ?
    It's on WCG forum.

Yeah, I was told power surge got his HDDs toasted, but at the same I was also told that he was preparing to get the forum by friday from the website. Conflicting info. Nothing seemed to be concrete.

10. Jaco_xs Guest

I've heard from one of the XS admins that :
    anyone who donated to Xtremesystems will have their time extended to offset the downtime.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. fart_plume

Thanks Received:
    Ok so you knew something bad had happened, so give the guy a break and let him concentrate on getting it back up. You got to give him time to find everthing that got toasted and get the parts in, that takes time. You know this from ordering parts and rma'ing parts nothing happens over night.

On top of this it has been posted multiple times in this thread was is going on. Maybe people just don't like the answers their getting tough, that's life. I'd like to be posting my usual crap too, I can't so I make do, and go on with my little piece of the world. I've been around longer than any forum has been (or the internet for that matter),so I know how to live with out it. It's just not worth getting upset about. Just go hit We old Foggie's stand by the TV, It'll rot your brain just as fast as the net.........

12. alucasa

alucasa

Thanks Received:
    What are you talking about not giving him a break ? Am I bothering him by posting about it here ? If I were to send him e-mails constantly every single day and even calling him would mean not giving him a break. Have I bashed him? Nope. All I complained was that I wanted to be informed.

I know something bad happened, but no concrete words came from the horse's mouth - for 2 weeks -, and that was what I was unhappy about.
    You sound as if I am trying to put down XS and the admin. I was merely voicing up my opinion of negativity just as you are. The only difference is that I am being negative to XS whereas you are defending XS.

13. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    lol. I had to swap out my back-up Crucial stix, cause I fried them. :roll:

What did you say sonny? I can't quite hear you.

Who cares? It's super easy to click 3DMarkVantage.exe and start over. :D

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. SparkyJJO

SparkyJJO New Member

Thanks Received:
    I imagine that once XS is back up there will be a post from fugger in the forum comments section about it. He almost always posts something there if something happens. In this case, I'd almost put money on it that he'll post something. I say almost, because I don't have any money to actually put on it :laugh:

15. bail_w

Thanks Received:
    Everyone should just calm the F down. No one want this to be happened. Right now we don't have a choice other than wait.

skycrane, Movieman and SparkyJJO say thanks.
  16. SparkyJJO

SparkyJJO New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree :up:

Oh darn, that doesn't exist here... just a sec... here we go [​IMG]

17. fart_plume

Thanks Received:
    Let me put this in perspective. Charles maybe putting out info as he gets it, I for one have very little clue where to look for where he releases it if it's not on XS itself. I'm sure he has other forums he has membership too, but I don't know what they are either. The point is given enough time it all comes out and in this fairly new highspeed society it's hard to take when information does flow as fast as we would like.

Sit back relax and enjoy the company your in at the present. There are a lot of good people here to make friends with(can never have too many friends imo). Besides a little vacation put everything in a new light gets us out of a rut and adds a little spice to our lives.

XS is just a place, it's the people that make the place special. If not for Dave I wouldn't have found this place full of special people. So in a way It's a good thing that XS went down for a bit I got to meet new friends I wouldn't have otherwise.

18. twilyth Guest

You see, this is what always happens. Any criticism gets turned into something malicious - and it just isn't. After a few days I went searching and couldn't find anything except a little info on WCG. But regardless, the info was all hearsay and it didn't always jibe. I mean, common - 8 drives get blown? No fuckin' way. Not if you have a UPS. And if you don't have a UPS, you shouldn't be allowed to own a computer - not if you plan to whine about your hardware getting fried.

The point is that there was no "official" message about what was going on. You know, if you're going to invite 10's of thousands of people to your site and claim the glory for that, then you have some responsibilities too. That's all we're saying. That and the fact that it at least SEEMS that Charles was derelict in honoring those responsibilities. Yes he probably has his hands full, but how long does it take to send a tweet or post to facebook? Not long at all.

If I'm late for an appointment, do I let the other person sit there and stew or do I pick up a phone and say 'Yo, dude, am I in the shit.' Will the other person survive if I don't call. Sure. Am I a douche bag for not calling though? Uh, yeah, I am.

FP, you're a good guy, everybody knows that (even if we might keep our distance - if you know what I mean :) ) So I understand you feel like this is an attack on a friend. But it isn't. It's criticism and everybody needs to be able to take criticism.

10 Year Member at TPU
  19. radaja

radaja Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    amen fart plume.thats what i say too.this experience has given me the chance to meet and get to know some great new folks,here and at other forums.and i appreciate thier hospitality for welcoming us XS refugee's.thanks.that being said,i dont know how we got back to complaining and putting down XS forums and the admins and owners.my god what a bunch of babies.i cant wait till its back up,and we all know we'll be seeing to naysayers soon too.what did you need,him to make a whole new site just to say whats going on.

20. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
    House built when George Washington was Alive
    My only thought is that he/charles/XS could have posted something, but for what that site offered, plus i paid my 25, i have no problems, no matter what, when i pad my 25 it was for him to use as he wishes, I don't question things i have no idea what's going on. Plus if the only bad thing you can say is "he should have communicated better" well quit wineing, We have all been there one time or another and sometimes you keep waiting till you see the light at the end of the tunnel before you want to say anything. But with that said, not posting a message, as it relates to all the growth i have done there, It is a no brainer, i love XS for lots of reasons, I guess I am lucky to have also made my home here/TPU,
    TPU rocks and there is no doubt there, the people here are very helpfull, fun and for the most part not to agraviting,.

Hey i am a hard person to get along with sometimes also but TPU is one of my homes and if Wiz asked for a show of gratiutude, via a little $$$ , i'd bet the first one it...

So to Charles and XS, you got a great site, great people and i hope it comes up soon, i am missing the different atmospheire that they bring to the table,

and to

TPU

You/We Rock

No bout a doubt it!

Peace to all and look forward to all that comes.,.. :rockout::rockout::rockout:

21. fox3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am not sure I remember Fugger whinning about burnt drives.

I am disappointed XS went down but I am not going to blame or complain about it, it is what it is. It will be up when its up. I think the problem is more with us and our need to get our daily XS fix than anything else. This site has been an Oasis for some and a means to vent for others, lets be grateful that there are others who share this common interest and that we have this forum to share with each other.

22. RAMMIE New Member

Thanks Received:
    There was a time back in 03 or so.I had been a lurker for a long time and I think a member for a year at XS.There was a dispute amongst the principals at XS over who was the owner.XS went down for a long time and suddenly both camps had a site up.One side was xtremesystems and the other was xtremerecources.There were members in both camps that had my respect for their knowledge of overclocking.Some of XS's most legendary ocer's went to xtremeresources while others stayed with xtemesystems.Charles ended up with the xtremesystems name.I frequented both sites and gleaned everything I could.Xtremerecources finally faded into the sunset as far as xtreme overclocking went.I once again started using XS as my only avenue for xtreme ocing because now that was the only place again.
    Now that only crunching seems to matter to me as far as computer us goes, my allegiance to XS WCG is there only to a point.My only true allegiances are to my family and lifelong friends that I can count on my hands and myself..As many of you know,I like to take my trips to teams that will never compete against XS.I like to help the up and coming teams.I really don't crunch because of any team, I crunch because I can.

Like some others I am xtremely disappointed at the way this is being handled by Charles.This virtual world has become so important in our lives that this is like a death or extended absence in the family.But like death and absence everything will seem normal in due time.

My Book Bob
    Mike

23. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll have MovieMan give you call.

24. fart_plume

Thanks Received:
    let me put it this way it took one guy two years ago(NJkid) 3 days of working constantly to put together a list and e-mail 600 members of the WCG team for a drive to get people crunching. How long do you think it would take to e-mail or notify 100,000 members? even if all the admins, super mods and mods helped?

And if you don't e-mail the entire membership who do you notify? I know of only one admin who knew anything at all I told the ones I knew when I caught them online. Charles works like the rest of us, so his time is limited too. I suspect most of his free time has went to fixing the problem not worrying about who to contact. I know I wouldn't even think about it, because I'd be more worried over getting the system back online for everyone as fast as iI could, every waking moment.

And for you information he did make phone calls and posts where he thought most people would find out. It just wasn't where we looked and we DID get information on the troubles. As far as having it on a ups he could have had it on a ups and still got the crap blown out of it if the surge was big enough. I've seen lighting and surges do some weird crap and not destroy what it hit but other things on up the circuits in the house. Like when lighting hit my Dad's commercial two -radio for his busi ness. Shredded the antenna that was on a two hundred foot tower went down the coax through the base station up the powerlines to the house and blew a small plug in power brick out of the wall. Base was ok, but the antenna was destroyed and the intercom system...........

As far as criticizing, realize this is not a commercial venture for Charles. He does the forum privately. All the funding for the servers and equipment comes out of his pocket not the donations(that's for bandwidth only). So take these things in to account.

25. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
    House built when George Washington was Alive
    I would have to say, he couldn't send ouyt that many emails without that ip being put on the blacklist for spamming, in todays email structure, you have to be very car4efull how many you send out and how fast or you get blackballed....
    but a index page with a update would have shut everybudy up// but the good side is it got everybody out of the house and walking around the neighborhood