• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Xtrfy M42 Wireless

pzogel

Reviewer
The M42 Wireless is exactly what its name suggests: a wireless M42. The adjustable back hump is still on board, along with PixArt's PAW3370 sensor, Kailh GM 8.0 main button switches, and pure PTFE feet, all wrapped into a 67 g lightweight package.

Show full review

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
A full-featured mouse that's fully customizable without software? Color me intrigued. I'm not a fan of hole-y mice, but it's time to check out the rest of the Xtrfy lineup.

EDIT: Well that was disappointing. Only two non-perforated models, and they're rubberized. Guess I'll keep shopping.

Last edited:
System Name ChronicleScienceWorkStation
Processor AMD Threadripper 1950X
Motherboard Asrock X399 Taichi
Cooling Noctua U14S-TR4
Memory G.Skill DDR4 3200 C14 16GB*4
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon VII
Storage Samsung 970 Pro*1, Kingston A2000 1TB*2 RAID 0, HGST 8TB*5 RAID 6
Case Lian Li PC-A75X
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Software Proxmox 6.2
Maybe I missed some others but I really like the detachable back.
I know what the holes are for but they are really also good at collecting dirt. Being able to clean it better is critical.

Honest question: do people actually like to use mice with holes? I imagine they look nasty after a while.

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i3-12100F 'power limit removed'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
Honest question: do people actually like to use mice with holes? I imagine they look nasty after a while.

I was wondering the same before I bought my first one with holes but so far its not really getting more 'nasty' than my previous full cover mouses.
I have this since 2022 february and I'm yet to take it apart, only my usual quick cleaning every now and then. I guess it also depends on your environment and personal habits.
I do like to keep my hands and my room clean so that probably helps, sure its not as clean as new but really not as bad as I expected. 'tbh I had full cover mouses that collected more crap over time when I took them apart for a full clean..'

Clickable Thumb for full size:
PXL_20221009_122641619.jpg

I use a small painting brush to clean out the dust/whatever else that might builds up inside, worst case scenario I could just take apart the mouse and completely clean it out but it wasn't needed yet.

After exactly one minute of inactivity, the mouse enters a sleep state, which shuts the lighting off as well.

How quickly does the mouse spring back to life, and how much movement is needed to trigger it?

I've got a wired M42 and love it, but the top center button is non-addressable and cannot be remapped (hard coded for RGB selection). I've been thinking about grabbing the wireless variant now that it's out, as this top button is now exposed to the system as PGDN, as mentioned in the review. I do often jump between typing and the mouse, though, and one minute is a short enough period of time that I may have finished writing something and want to immediately begin moving the cursor or scrolling around. If this results in needing to jiggle the thing every single time, I think it'd drive me crazy. If it's super quick, though, this may be going into my shopping cart today.

Thanks!

pzogel

Reviewer
How quickly does the mouse spring back to life, and how much movement is needed to trigger it?

I've got a wired M42 and love it, but the top center button is non-addressable and cannot be remapped (hard coded for RGB selection). I've been thinking about grabbing the wireless variant now that it's out, as this top button is now exposed to the system as PGDN, as mentioned in the review. I do often jump between typing and the mouse, though, and one minute is a short enough period of time that I may have finished writing something and want to immediately begin moving the cursor or scrolling around. If this results in needing to jiggle the thing every single time, I think it'd drive me crazy. If it's super quick, though, this may be going into my shopping cart today.

Thanks!
I didn't measure it, but I'd estimate that it takes less than 200 ms to wake up again. Either moving the mouse or clicking any button is sufficient to wake it up. Basically, it wakes up fast enough to where I don't even notice that it's been off before.