• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Xubuntu Dapper and the iBook

Carcenomy

System Name Project T - the computer I've never finished!
Processor Intel Core2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard ASUS Striker Extreme
Cooling Zalman 9500AM2 with 9500AT fan on CPU, Zalman VF1000 on both GPUs
Memory 4GB Corsair XMS2 Pro DDR2-800
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTS250 OC'd 1GB w/ stock Zalman VF1050 x2 in SLI
Storage A-Data S592 64GB SSD and 2x 320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA2 in RAID0
Display(s) ViewSonic VX2433wm
Case 1997 Macase SuperMid tower. Vertical hinge sides, custom mesh front, open air path, fan controller.
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Elite Pro PCI
Power Supply Silverstone Decathlon DA750
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Hasn't been benched.
Well I finally got around to attacking the iBook. No more browser annoyances or filth under the shielding for this iBook. BUT!

Linux just doesn't like my iBook. Allow me to explain so I can beg for help :)

1. The LCD. Now c'mon, an iBook SE G3 366 Graphite isn't a rare combination, and it's certainly not new. So why does Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu not support adjusting its brightness?! I have pbuttons installed and have proper volume control via keyboard and mixer, but the brightness buttons are broke, and if you put the machine into standby or close the lid (same thing), the LCD backlight stays on. Any thoughts?

2. Video support. Standard onboard ATi Rage Mobility... straight after Yaboot starts initializing Linux, it gives an error - something to do with a not being able to address a region on the PCI bus? There's also no information on what exactly it's doing during startup, which un-nerves me somewhat.

If you guys could give me some insight into those issues I'd be over the moon, and have a truly useful little machine once again.

Otherwise, I might just do what the quiz thing suggested and try Mandriva. :)