• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

You pick the game giveaway!! Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name White Shark
Processor 5600x
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua U12A Chromax
Memory Crucial Ballistix 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 12gb Asus TUF OC
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB OS / 860 EVO 500 GB /860 EVO 1TB/ Seagate 1TB
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B 3440x1440p 144hz nano-ips ultrawide
Case Phanteks P500A (White/Black)
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Seasonic 850FX focus gold 80plus
Mouse HyperX Pulsefire Haste
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Origins Core - Tenkeyless
Software W10
Many thanks for the give away.
Im just interested in RotTR thanks and luck for everyone.

My story... lol Im cuban so in Cuba we didn't have internet. Me and my friends used to go to a place where we could pay 50 cents for hour playing Nintendo , snes and the story of consoles +++ blah blabla.
One day one of those friends took me to his house , his father had a computer and he was playing Dukenukem 3d .... my expression was like oh damnnnnn !!! can i try ??? the sensation of playing with a mouse and a keyboard was unique. Then i spent
like a few years more playing on those consoles . My cousin came with a laptop and showed me Return to Castle Wolfenstein..... Since was my cousin laptop i had the chance to play everyday and beat the game till the end. Another few years passed and then i went to university... my need of a computer became relevant to my mom and she decided to help to buy one. my frist pc was a pentium 3 dont know wth WAS BUT THAT WAS WHEN I MET HALF LIFE!!!!!!!!!!
Being in university was great for my introduction into pc gaming a lot of people were already playing on pc for long time. but like i was a guy who was born in the skirts of Havana city never had the chance to be in touch with pc.
Well, since that i started playing Warcraft 3 and frozen throne , damn those were good times :). My dad brought me one day some parts.( my question was:... is better than what i have????? the answer from him was : WTF do i know... but let me call a friend of mine that can put you all this together... then i started watching what he did and making questions i realized that i could upgrade my pc using parts. that was my first AMD pc :) with an ati radeon agp 9600.
From that point i started buying my own stuff reading a lot from forums that a friend that had access to internet gave me saved webpages. From that point i started selling my PS1, PS2 and putting all that money in pc parts and games . then i came to US and .... i finally tasted the multiplayer online after so many years playing alone campaign games or a few ones in lanparties.

System Name Specs Last Update: 8/April/2024
Processor Intel Core i5 9400f 2.9GHz/4.0 Turbo (NoOC)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370M D3H rev. 1.0
Cooling be quite! Dark Rock Slim 180W TDP (The Silent Wings 3 120mm Fan)
Memory Corsair Red Line 8x2 16GB 3000MHz (NoOC) DDR4-3000 15-17-17-35 (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R) V1.35 ver 4.24
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce MSI 980 Ti Golden Edition (NoOC)| Spare: GTX 650 Ti 1 GB
Storage Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB | Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | Cold Backup: WDC Black 930 GiB WD1003FZEX
Display(s) Asus VG248QZ 1920x1080 144hz 24" (Current: 60hz)
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Corsair 850W RMi
Mouse Logitech M187 wireless (First day of use 30-9-2021)
Keyboard Logitech K270 wireless
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC 2021 / Linux: Candidates: Bazzite - Linux MX - Tuxedo - Kubuntu
Hmmm ....

I can't really remember when but I think 20 years ago or more, my brother had an Acer Pentium III 300Mhz(?) with Windows 98. He put it in our room when he came from the US. I only watched him playing Driver, and it would stutter when the car ran full speed but he and our brothers didn't care about the stutters. Then my brother flee to US again to continue his college there. When he came back again, I started using it. I downloaded many shareware games including Swarm Assault. It was an RTS game about bugs going into war Red Alert style. Then I kept buying the PC magazine that comes every month just to get the demos and sharewares because the internet was so slow (dial-up), I can't just download anything from the net without frustration. I found a game in one of CDs made by 3D, the first helicopter army men game. I can't remember its exact name. The game however required 64 MB of RAM or was it graphics card's RAM? anyway, The PC didn't have that much or RAM/vRAM so I gave up. I also remember that I tried to get the latest drivers for the graphics card ATI RAGE 16 MB (or was it 8 or 4 MB?) because I wanted desperately increase performance and added DirectX 8 support and because there is no real market in my country to actually buy a new video card.

Many years passed .... in 2006, I decided to buy a laptop with a good graphics card. An Asus laptop with Nvidia 7700 Go (Yes it is 7700, it is not a typo). I then got Battlefield 1942 and Company of Heroes, Those games ARE so much fun that I keep playing them till TODAY especially Company of Heroes. Those games worth the money pretty well, 8 years and still going. Hey rtwjunkie, I know you play Company of Heroes with Blitz mod, and so do I ;)

Thank you
[URL='https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/members/whitenoise.66742/']WhiteNoise :oops:
[/URL]

I vote for Skyrim Special Edition

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
It's pretty cool to read about how you guys discovered PC gaming. I didn't get into PC gaming until I was around 26-27 years old and that is only because of my best friend who had a PC. I was always so jealous. I'd hang out at his house and we would take turns playing PC games and it was loads of fun. We are both much older now, both married and have kids. He lives in San Diego and I live closer to LA now but you know what we still do? Twice a year (spring and fall) he drives up to my house on a Friday night and stays until sunday. We call it the game weekend and all we do is drink beer, eat junk and play video games with hardly any sleep. We still act like a couple of kids. Great fun!

Random Murderer

The Anti-Midas
System Name TOO MUCH RADIATOR! | The TV Box a.k.a. The Shoebox
Processor Core i7 4930K @ 4.5GHz | Core i5 6600K @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
Cooling Custom water on CPU and GPU, dual 360mm radiators | Corsair H80i
Memory 4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-1600 | 2x 4GB G.Skill RipJaws 4 DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD R9 295x2 | PowerColor AMD HD7970
Storage Samsung SSD 830 256GB, various others | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID1
Display(s) Dell U2713HM 2560x1440 IPS | Panasonic TC-L32E5 1080p IPS TV
Case Thermaltake Suppressor F51 (stripped down to hold two radiators) | Cooler Master Elite 130
Audio Device(s) RM-DAC -> Xiang Sheng 708b -> Sennheiser HD650 | HDMI sound device on 7970
Power Supply LEPA G1600-MA 1600W | Corsair CX750M 750W
Software Win 10 64
Benchmark Scores over 9000 BungholioMarks, "Bitchin' Fast"
Entering for TrackMania Turbo

Oh my gosh, where to start?
I guess I should start by saying that before I could walk, my father had turned me into a gamer. We had an Atari 2600 and an NES, some of my earliest memories are of sitting on the floor in the living room next to my dad, each of us with an NES controller in hand, playing Mario. I was hooked on video games immediately, so it wasn't odd for me the first time I noticed an old PC(even for the time) at my grandparents' place just a year or so later and had my grandfather explain what it was and show me how to turn it on and play some games. It was by no means easy for someone who had just learned to read to crank out DOS commands and get games running, but I remember being absolutely astounded that the "controller" was so large and had so many buttons, and that I could use it to tell the PC to do different things, and that even though the graphics were nowhere near the NES I had become accustomed to, somehow the games felt more engaging and immersive. I wish I could remember the name of the 5.25" floppy that they had, it had a ton of games on it and some of them were really unique and interesting. Keep in mind the PC I'm referring to is an IBM 5150, so monochrome black and green screen, extremely basic sound, keyboard with no mouse, dot matrix printer, and all ASCII graphics. I remember learning what Othello was and playing a lot of that, first on that old IBM then on a real board with my grandfather. I also remember there was a minesweeper-esque game in which you had a large grid that represented a plot of land you owned and you had to choose where to drill for oil, then see through that operation until you either struck oil or failed miserably and had to choose a new location to drill, provided you hadn't run out of funds. I perused these many games for about a year until my parents decided to buy a PC for our household. Enter my first PC: an Intel 486 machine running Windows 3.11 for Work Groups. Not even a month after getting this PC, a friend gave me the Shareware version of DOOM along with a lesser-known game built on the DOOM engine called Operation: Body Count, and I've been an avid PC gamer ever since.
It's worth noting that I still own the 5150 from this story. It still functions, and I still have a few hundred floppies for it. Even if it stopped functioning, I would keep that PC, it simply means too much to me for me to willingly give it up. In a way, that IBM 5150 is responsible for my love of PCs today, and is probably my single most favorite piece of tech I have ever owned.

Thank you @WhiteNoise for the giveaway and the opportunity for all of us to come together and share our PC origin stories.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Well from a early age been a fiddlier, remember my mother Betamax which i had to take apart just to see how it worked. Atari Sinclair took'em all apart and remember not being to happy to find very little in the Atari 2600 lol.

Anyways my brother being about 10 good ol mother and dad got him a 386 which was running win 3.1 and being the type of person i am a long with my brother thought it be awesome to mess with it, some part of messing with it got the OS all screwed up and of course it was me, they just knew me only to well and being the eldest well it was defaulted as my fault.

As my parents did not get it from a shop and just some body who put them together we did not have the floppy with the system. So i was tasked as seen at it was my fault too find the way to fix it. Took a few days i got a version ( COUGH ) of Win3.1 from a friend of a friend who used to deal in HiFi.

Ever since then been using them ever since, although it would of happened sooner or later as i was, well still in to simulators and the PC was the way to go and on top of that it came with options to fiddle :p..

Only one really want is Just Cause 3, been waiting for a heavy price drop on it.

And Thank You for the opportunity..

Great giveaway! :D I am in for Rocket League.

The furthest back I remember playing games on a PC would be on an old 286 (I think) I played Family Feud and Wheel of Fortune on that beast. I remember it went straight to dos and I used DOSSHELL to open any programs. At the time I thought it was DOSS-HELL :p because I was an idiot young kid and had no clue. I have no idea where that PC came from but my best guess would be from an uncle. I learned a lot from that PC, I messed around in DOSSHELL for hours trying to open random files and navigating poorly the directories. It had a 5.25" floppy drive too but I don't think I ever got anything running from the floppies I had, I think it was just super slow and I didn't have any idea how to copy the files to the PC.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Stardew Valley -- Would like to take it with me for a routine visit to Mayo Clinic in less than two weeks. Gonna be up all night for a 6:45am appointment so would be nice to have something new to play on an old laptop.

I can't really point to a specific game that was the starting point. I jumped between Windows and the console of the time (NES, SNES, PlayStation) quite a lot without giving it much thought. I remember Duke Nukem, Sim Ant, Sim Isle, A-Train, and many other titles that consumed a lot of my time. So instead, I'd rather focus on the moment that turned me from a "whatever works" sort of gamer to the "PC gaming master race" sort of gamer.

It was during the winter of 2001 and I got Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed for PlayStation through the PepsiStuff promotion and played the crap out of it. I loved the game, especially how it had open world multiplayer which was huge for the time...and even years later. Fast forward a year or two later and my sister bought a new Compaq Presario that came with an EA bundle including SimCity 3000 Unlimited and the Windows version of Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed. I installed it on my own Compaq Presario at the time and my mind was utterly and completely blown. The graphics were miles ahead, the gameplay was less repetitive, the test drive campaign was epic, and the soundtrack was unforgettable. Except multiplayer (which I never really cared for) all facets of the Windows version were superior to that of the PlayStation version. Ever since then, my spending on consoles has plummeted while spending on computers skyrocketed.

The ironic twist is that both of these games, in their own right, are still the high bar for racing games for me. They had soul where a lot of the newer games (2005 Most Wanted aside) really lack it.

Last edited:
System Name The (Modified) Futureshop Deal/The Machine
Processor Q6600 @ 2.4 (stock, see mobo)/ I5 3570k @ 4.3
Motherboard Generic Foxconn/ Asus P8z77-v lk
Cooling stock/ Antec Kuhler 620
Memory 4Gb@800/ 16gb Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte@1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire 4850/ Gigabyte 7950
Storage Hitachi 500GB, WD Blue 500gb/ Kingston Hyperx 3K 120gb, WD green 2tb
Display(s) Acer 24" 1920x1080/ Benq VA 24" 1920x1080 and HP 24" 1920x1200
Case Acer/ Antec 302
Audio Device(s) On Board for both
Power Supply 500w OCZ Modxstream-pro/ Antec Truepower new 750w
Software W7 Home Premium 64bit for both
Farcry 4 Gold!

My story begins with my family being given a intel 286 running dos/windows 3.1. My father was attending college and was given a less than legit cd filled with software much of which was games. I played hours and hours of wolfenstein 3d, doom, one must fall, hocus pocus, aces over europe, and many more. I was only about 5 and had a hard time with dos so my father set up a menu that would launch games with a keypress (press 1 for wolf3d etc). From there I played red alert, warcraft and on and on. Upgraded to a pentium 3 and ten years later a q6600. It was a tough few years not meeting minimum specs haha.

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
Many thanks for the give away.
Im just interested in RotTR thanks and luck for everyone.

My story... lol Im cuban so in Cuba we didn't have internet. Me and my friends used to go to a place where we could pay 50 cents for hour playing Nintendo , snes and the story of consoles +++ blah blabla.
One day one of those friends took me to his house , his father had a computer and he was playing Dukenukem 3d .... my expression was like oh damnnnnn !!! can i try ??? the sensation of playing with a mouse and a keyboard was unique. Then i spent
like a few years more playing on those consoles . My cousin came with a laptop and showed me Return to Castle Wolfenstein..... Since was my cousin laptop i had the chance to play everyday and beat the game till the end. Another few years passed and then i went to university... my need of a computer became relevant to my mom and she decided to help to buy one. my frist pc was a pentium 3 dont know wth WAS BUT THAT WAS WHEN I MET HALF LIFE!!!!!!!!!!
Being in university was great for my introduction into pc gaming a lot of people were already playing on pc for long time. but like i was a guy who was born in the skirts of Havana city never had the chance to be in touch with pc.
Well, since that i started playing Warcraft 3 and frozen throne , damn those were good times :). My dad brought me one day some parts.( my question was:... is better than what i have????? the answer from him was : WTF do i know... but let me call a friend of mine that can put you all this together... then i started watching what he did and making questions i realized that i could upgrade my pc using parts. that was my first AMD pc :) with an ati radeon agp 9600.
From that point i started buying my own stuff reading a lot from forums that a friend that had access to internet gave me saved webpages. From that point i started selling my PS1, PS2 and putting all that money in pc parts and games . then i came to US and .... i finally tasted the multiplayer online after so many years playing alone campaign games or a few ones in lanparties.

Cuba FTW!!

I left Cuba when I was 5.

System Name Xeon build X58 / Main Rig X79
Processor Intel Xeon x5650 @ 4.2Ghz with HT / Xeon E5 1650 v2 @4.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage II Extreme socket 1366 / Asus P9X79 Pro socket 2011
Cooling Thermalright Archon +Ty 140mm|Fans : 2 front-1top-1rear-1bottom/ Gelid Phantom Twin Tower
Memory 16gb DDR3 1600mhz Kingstone Hyper x Quad Channel / 16gb DDR3 1600MHZ Patriot Viper 3
Video Card(s) Sapphire hd 7950 3gb Boost edition dual fan X / ZOTAC 1080 Ti Blower Edition
Storage Kingstone AV400ssd 120gb+Seagate B 2Tb+WD g 1tb+WD g 3tb+WD r 3tb+Seagate B 4tb+Lexar 2Tb NVMe
Display(s) AOC E2460S 24" 1080p 60hz 1ms / LG 32UK550B 32" UHD 4K HDR 10 with Freesync
Case Enermax Phoenix / Fractal Design Arc midi
Audio Device(s) SoundMaxHD+5.1 BHT1100 BLUESKY,Fiio E10 Olympus+SuperluxHD668b+KZ HBB pr2,Superlux E205.
Power Supply Sharkoon WPM Gold Zero 650W semi modular / Corsair RM 850 Fully Modular
Mouse Generic Mice / Corsair M90
Keyboard Generic Keyboard / Microsoft WK600
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 /Windows 10 Pro 64
Well all started in 1995 on windows 95 but was not my pc ,playing Road Rush , before i played only on copycat consoles .
In 2002 i got my first very own pc but didn't played a lot of games because i had a ps1 for years but i day i discovered what let me encounter my playmates , VIETCONG .
I have a Ps2 too and played that a lot but no online play for me :( because the internet adaptor was very pricey at the time.
After Vietcong i got into Half life and other games from Valve and into mods with Bid for Power a mod for Quake 3 arena and so on thanks to my friends and in the years pc as become my main platform .

My pick if can be what i want mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 or Deus Ex Mankind Divided choose for me please i have so many games i want XD.

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Lets go with overwatch.

Dad had a computer repair business, back in the 386/486/pentium 1 era. Because systems back then would outright freeze, or CRT monitors would burn in he'd leave them running doing defrags or OS installs and get me to let him know when the screen changed, or when something stopped working.

Pretty much learned to read and write for games in DOS - the motivation was pretty high for correct spelling and 'punctuation' when it was the difference between a game running or not.

I think how he setup his systems back then slightly influenced mine, 20 odd years later. I uh, may still find it fun to watch defrag programs do their thing (ultimatedefrag is pretty, yo)
15122873_10154701968667453_1707255569232184288_o.jpg
IMG_20161119_180211.jpg

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Lightening PG
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120SE CPU cooler, 3x 140mm, 1x 120mm case fan
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Flare X5 DDR5 6000 (PC5 48000) F5-6000J3038F16GX2-FX5
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070
Storage 2TB Sandisk SSD, 2TB P31 SK Hynix, 4TB WD SN850X, WD Black 6TB, WD Red Plus 12TB
Case Fractal Design Definse S
Power Supply Seasonic Focus 750
Mouse Logitech Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Silent w/red LED
VR HMD HTC Vive
Software Win 10 Pro
I want Dishonored 2.

In the 90s the first PC game that hooked me was a flight simulator, I believe it was called "Discovery Wings". It was not a big title, probably not very good for the time either. It certainly is not remembered very well whereas Flight Simulator, Falcon and Flanker defined the era. But I really enjoyed it as I did not know any better. The next game I got hooked onto was Incoming, which came with a ATI "All In Wonder" card. I saw the box lying somewhere in the garage a few months back. :) Then I shifted to the N64, but came back to PC gaming with Jane's USAF. Picked up a PS2 and gamed with both of them, although by 2007 I was more or less a PC exclusive player. And I have been since, only replaying old PS2 games and recently my 3DS. But the majority of my gaming is spent on my PC. There are many excellent games on consoles, but most of those or similar come to PC. However, the PC has the best exclusives. The things mainstream gaming media/CEOs seem to be oblivious about. Flight sims, RTS, ArmA, modding and more. I am glad for Jane's USAF putting me back on track as a PC gamer. Many great experiences I had were simply not on consoles.

Thanks a lot for the OP for holding an excellent giveaway.

Last edited:
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Thanks for the giveaway.

I would love Deus Ex Mankind Divided or The Division, but was waiting for some sale....

The Story? hmm....

was in 1995 if I remember correctly, in High-school; on the programing class we were on the lab where the 4x86 PCs were, and I remember somebody bringed on floppy disks Doom 2, Terminal Velocity and specially Syndicate. I remember begging the guy to borrow the disks so I can also play home, but I was too late, the teacher found them and confiscate them, lol.
Remember that was such a big disappointment I almost cried, lol. The guy with the floppies also cried like a baby.
Point is, after that day I've became a gaming freak, making dozens of friends and trading floppies and later gaming CDs and so on...

good times.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
You can post a list of games but then if you win I will just randomly pick one. If there is one on the top of your must have list then just post that.

:D

on top of that big mountain on mars(Romania)
System Name ( . Y . )
Deus Ex Mankind Divided or Dishonored 2

I started playing PC games idk back in 2004 in high school, Gta vice city

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
Seeing the comments about Shareware make me remember the boxes of 3 1/2" disks at the McKays' locally ... prowling thru, looking for something special heheh

Tallencor

TPU's First Patreon
Supporter
System Name Francis
Processor 7700k @5.0 delid
Motherboard Rog Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair H100i V2
Memory 32 GB Gskill Trident Z RGB 3200 xmp
Video Card(s) MSI RX 480 Gaming x 8G
Storage Samsung960evo250GB os Samsung 860 evo 500GB (Games)Samsung 840 120 (Storage)
Display(s) Viewsonic XG 2701 Freesync
Case Corsair Crystal 570x
Audio Device(s) On board Supreme FX
Power Supply Evga 850 G3
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Logitech G810
Software Win 10 Home 64
Benchmark Scores 11+12=19?
Lets go with overwatch.

Dad had a computer repair business, back in the 386/486/pentium 1 era. Because systems back then would outright freeze, or CRT monitors would burn in he'd leave them running doing defrags or OS installs and get me to let him know when the screen changed, or when something stopped working.

Pretty much learned to read and write for games in DOS - the motivation was pretty high for correct spelling and 'punctuation' when it was the difference between a game running or not.

I think how he setup his systems back then slightly influenced mine, 20 odd years later. I uh, may still find it fun to watch defrag programs do their thing (ultimatedefrag is pretty, yo)View attachment 81236 View attachment 81237
That last pic is epic. Made my morning.

My folks got the money to buy me a PC in the summer of '99, upon delivery and installing the thing i understood that if you hit the delete key your PC will malfunction(i had zero knowledge back then of hardware and software) so i unplugged the keyboard and pulled out the Del keys from it. My first full PC game was Jane`s Fleet Command and it kept asking for the CD after installing it, i didn't knew it was a pirated version that would't work without the crack. So after more than a day of trying to run the game i went to get my money back, only then i was "instructed" that there are original and pirated games and what to do with the latter to make it run :D
Thank you for the giveaway.
Cagiwpture.JPG

System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro
Great giveaway and many thanks. As they say a picture tells a thousand stories so I will leave this here:

Other unforgettable moments: Medal of Honor Allied Assault multiplayer, Far Cry and the beautiful islands and jungle in Crysis. I was in my late 30s and early 40s back then, still young though.

Dishonored 2 would be nice.

Last edited:
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 10 Pro
It was during the winter of 2001 and I got Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed

I lost myself to that game on the PC. Still one of my favorite PC racing games.

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Farcry 4 Gold!

My story begins with my family being given a intel 286 running dos/windows 3.1. My father was attending college and was given a less than legit cd filled with software much of which was games. I played hours and hours of wolfenstein 3d, doom, one must fall, hocus pocus, aces over europe, and many more. I was only about 5 and had a hard time with dos so my father set up a menu that would launch games with a keypress (press 1 for wolf3d etc). From there I played red alert, warcraft and on and on. Upgraded to a pentium 3 and ten years later a q6600. It was a tough few years not meeting minimum specs haha.
My dad did the same thing in DOS but the menu required me to complete math problems in order to play games. :roll:

stinger608

Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder
System Name Dean Machine/2020 Ryzenfall
Processor Intel 4790K/AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard MSI 1150 Gaming mATX/Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED/SilverStone AH240 AIO
Memory 16 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer/16 gigs G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1660 Super/Gigabyte GTX 1660
Storage Crucial SSD 256 and 2TB spinner/Dual Samsung 980 Pro M2 NVME 4.0
Display(s) Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic modular 850 watt Platinum/EVGA T2-850 Titanium
Software Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro
First, I want to take this opportunity to give a huge thank you to @WhiteNoise for an amazing giveaway!!!! :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect:

I would like to have The Elder Scrolls® Online: Gold Edition if I win.

The year was 1993 and my best friend in the world, rest his soul, had just purchased a Packard-Bell 486 DX50 system with 4 megs of ram. The original Doom was just being released. He purchased Doom for his system as I sat idly by watching him play this insanely scary game! I was hooked right then and knew I had to have a PC.
I had previously had an old 286 system that I did early coding on but nothing "modern" for gaming! A short time went by and I managed to pick up a very similar Packard-Bell system from a rent-to-own local store. I grabbed Doom and if my memory serves me right, Quake had just released or was about to.
I later sold that Packard-Bell and got a "hot rod" system...........Yep, another Packard-Bell with an ultra fast Pentium MX133!!!!!!!!!!!!! That system I ended up saving up the bucks to install a Diamond Moster 3Dfx 12 meg card so I was able to play Quake II as it had just been released.
My best pal ended up getting a Diamond Moster 3Dfx 8 meg card to join me in playing some Quake II multiplayer!

My god, what an awesome period in my adult life! We later both ended up with some Socket A AMD systems that I built for both of us and started attending LAN parties when Unreal Tournament was the hot game!

Wow, I honestly miss them days dearly!

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
Osiris : New Dawn

The commies...

When I lay down on the psychiatrists couch, and think back... it all started with Christmas '91.
Freddie Mercury had passed, Kuwait was being bombed, Mike Tyson was arrested, Jeffrey Dahmer was finally caught, Linux was released, and if not mistaken, the world was introduced to web browsers.

Of course, most of that I had no idea about at the time. What I did know, was that after opening Christmas presents, I returned to my room, happy for the most part though a little disappointed. Santa had not brought me a Nintendo. As I sat on my bed I noticed a wrapped gift on my desk. Having flashbacks of the wrapped rifle hidden in the corner scene in A Christmas Story from the year before, I jumped for joy thinking it was a Nintendo. I opened it up to find this :

A Texas Instruments TI99-/4A.

I was uncertain what it was...really the important thing I took from that moment was that it definitely did not resemble a Nintendo!
My father explained what it was and in time I came to love it, playing such classics as Barrage, TI-Tennis, Carfax Abby, Pitfall and many others.

I never did get a Nintendo, and maybe it was in spite of that, my interest in video gaming with PC master race would grow. I was introduced by a friend to BUILD engine and similar style games in the mid 90s.
Classics such Seventh Corridor, Doom, Duke3d, Redneck Rampage, Hexen, Heretic,NAM etc were awesome.

By that time we had three computers in a the study, one acting as a gateway machine and the others the internal devices.
We had them setup to play LAN, often my father and I doing coop missions in NAM. One afternoon a friend came over and was watching us play. He was nudging me that we should find away to get my dad to leave so we could play Total Annihilation. We were excited that we had built our own tank unit with lasers on their freaking heads(we didn't know at the time that phrase would later become popular...).

Eventually dad had to go drop some kids off at the pool. He was having a lot of 'Carnation' instant breakfast drinks for some reason, and they made you have to go to the toilet often. So we pranked him by installing a backdoor cow trojan on his machine.
After he returned, we kept closing his NAM game window with ALT-F4 every few minutes. At one point he got quite upset and shouted "God damned fu**ing commies!"

As he went down the stairs his voice trailed in the distance...

"Sons bitches"
"..commies hacking civilian systems"
"..can't even blow up some fu**ing [unintelligible]"
"..some pinky commies interfering..."

The loud banging from the kitchen must have been the cupboards as he scrounged around trying to find another Carnation drink packet - like an addict needing a fix.

It was after that point we knew there was a sure fire way to get ourselves more computer time together and go have large FPS and RTS matches over dial up with our friends down the street.
He never did make the observation that it only happened when he was playing.

About seven months later, he decided the commies had won and was going to get another computer entirely. We thought that was great, we could then sometimes have three people doing LAN at the house. Sadly while he was at FRY's buying the computer, he got coaxed into picking up (the last in stock) three Voodoo graphics cards because they were cheap. When we went to install them, we realized they were AGP and not PCI. Well, as you can imagine this was all the commies fault too and there we were surrounded be pieces of the computers strewn about, with little knowledge and how to put them back together.

In the end we had to sell everything piece meal, and buy all new computers : with Pentium IIIs, Banshee AGP, Seagate Cheetahs, 21" CRT monitors, Creative sound cards, Thrustmaster wheel/pedals, and FLCS style joystick/thruster. Last but not least, we were early cable internet adopters in our neighborhood.
I went onto play many online Duke3d ranked matches, hosted whole summers' worth of Rainbow Six full sixteen man games and large custom Total Annihilation maps. We spent so much time inside it's a wonder we even knew how to talk to girls when school started up again each fall.

My father has all the equipment stored away in a little 90s computer museum, including the TI99/4A and all it's accessories - which I believe is worth a lot now.
The storage shop is like Mr. Robot but without all the schizophrenia and violence.

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 10 Pro
@newconroer That was great! That actually sounds like my Dad lol

System Name 2ManyFans
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
Motherboard ASUSTeK Crosshair IV Fourmula Rev 1
Cooling Air
Memory 8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) GTX 970
Storage 120Gb SSD,500Gb, 500Gb, 250Gb
Display(s) HP L1706
Case Not sure, but its HUGE with 2ManyFans..
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply XFX 850w Bronze
Mouse One from China
Keyboard One from China
Software WIndows 10
Edit: Im not too late after all! :D

If i were to win i would like Call of Duty Infinite Warfare

From a very young age I've loved technology, taking things apart to see how they work and probably not remembering how to put it back together. We always had a family computer to send emails, chat, watch YouTube and stuff. I always use to use it but never to game on, that would always be done on the xbox!! Till more recently I met up with @CAPSLOCKSTUCK who showed me that it's wasn't hard to make one for the same money. So that's what we did! I couldn't be happier.. that the xbox was out of my life. Gaming on a computer is just so much better for so many reasons, and it's a computer!!

Thanks for the giveaway:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.