• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

You pick the game giveaway VI (yeah one more time before x-mas!)

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
Well, it's that time again. Yes I know I just did one last week but I am getting ready to go away to Hawaii for a couple of weeks of R&R with my family and I want to do one more November giveaway! Consider this the TechPowerUP X-mas Giveaway!

So different rules this time. I will be offering up ONE game from STEAM. Value can be $.99 to $59.99. One game no matter price up to that value. (second place see below)

So this time around let us tell a new story. I am all about stories!!

Tell TPU about the first game that made a BIg impact on you. It can be any game system but it's about a game that made a big impact on you. The game that made you think, "Holy cow!! this is amazing!" Mind-blowing stuff here only!

Let's hear that story and make it good. There is no such thing as "I'm in". You HAVE to tell a story!!

1st & 2nd place will be picked on random org. The contest ends on Nov. 26th at 9 PM PST. At that time I will use Random.org to pick the winner and second place runner up.

Oh yeah! because I love all of you TPU members, I'm going to do something new. There will be a second place for a game of your choice at $39.99 max value. So first place is one game of your choice up to $59.99, and second place gets a game up to $39.99!!!

I want to put two-games in your hands. I really appreciate the TPU forum and all of you crazy members. Let me put a game (or two) in your hands.

So pick two games that follow the values given. 1st place is $59.99 and second is $39.99. each entry should select two games of such values. Your name will be entered twice. Thanks and I hope you win!!!

I really hope more members jump in this time!!

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Total annihilation.
It wasn't my first RTS, but it was the first time i saw someone grab an existing idea, and expand it massively.

In this case... to true 3D, and physics.
Yes, Red alert, AoE and C&C technically had high and low ground, but that was layered 2D. This was True 3D.
Spiderbots that walked up cliffs - not with generic animations, but their feet actually touched the ground (most of the time)
Rockets that had to actually fly up, and target the enemy - and you could move and dodge them, or even block them with another unit. Anti missile projectiles existed, and would try and shoot them down. They could miss, and firing from odd angles was a valid strategy.
Hell i saw accidental hits of planes blocking nukes in MP matches, detonating them early.
Gunfire that wasnt instant-hit, but the bullets actually travelled, could hit terrain, miss, or even hit the wrong target.

It was a long, long time before other games started down that road as well, and they've all just... stopped. Games have ignored it and gone easy with ignoring physics.
Half life 2 with the gravity gun (and a few gravity puzzles). Red faction with the ability to dig through terrain and shortcut around the map.
I forgot which game it was, but we had one FPS base builder where we knocked down trees and walked up them to get into an otherwise secure enemy base.

THAT is what blows me away, when real world physics get involved and let you implement creative, real world solutions to problems.
Half points go to games that go halfway, like being able to climb on top of plane wings in BF1942 instead of invisible walls or invisible slippery shenanigans pushing you off.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Hmm, this one is a bit of tie between Bomberman on Atari and I remember being like 5-6 years old playing it with my Dad standing up on his bed jumping and down with the controller in my hand, its one of the earliest memories I have lol, I barely remember it, but I have a couple images of my head and enjoying it a lot. I suppose the actual answer though is when I got my Playstation 1: playing the original Syphon Filter with my mom, it was the only game that ever interested her, even to this day for some reason. It was really unique game, lot of elements to various combat, excellent graphics (at the time). I still remember being blown away by the combat and variety of weapons, there was just something about it that worked. I never played the later games, but the original Syphon Filter was awesome, I must not be alone, because the PS Mini that came out recently had that as one of the 20 pre-loaded games I believe.

1. Total War: WARHAMMER III Steam Pre-Order $59.99
2. Weird West Steam Pre-Order $39.99

240.jpg

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Just let that music play while reading to get the vibe going :)

Its 1995. My dad is off to Srebrenica for a half year on mission (part of Dutchbat / UN operations) and I'm at home with mom and myself. Dark times in my young life, I was 9 at the time. Dad brought a laptop from work to home, and I could play on it. Scoured places for games because I really didn't/couldn't buy any, most of what I found was free- or shareware stuff, or even rental. But mostly that was just me discovering computers and Windows at my own pace. Games would draw me into another world, away from worry, and I really didn't understand half of what I was doing.

Shortly after release I stumble upon this game. Ascendancy. The intro grabs me by the balls and I still really haven't let go. When I hear that title song, I'm back in there, can easily play another campaign of what would now be considered a pretty clunky space 4X. Little do I know of the concept, the alien races always threaten my existence long before I get to spread my wings in the galaxy. But over the course of the next couple of years, I slowly figure it out. English not being my native language, everything just sorta creeps in by deduction. Every time I start a new campaign, alien threats become just a tiny bit less alien and I start to understand the motives of each one of those peculiar races. The element of not knowing so many mechanics and game concepts only added to the magic.

Even today I think I'm still on that slow road to discovery. Deduct things myself, not reading a manual, not reading a guide, and having that sense of discovery of new worlds, ideas, universes. I think Ascendancy is what inspires the hobby in the purest sense of the word. And if I look back at the game, it already had so much... random generated galaxies, flexible and randomized factions with a form of asymmetry, fantastic diplomacy that would actually work, interesting ship to ship and planet invasion combat, and a great mix between 'real time' and turn based gameplay with every day passing so fast, while never being tedious. The game has no 'end turn'. You just pause and play time itself. Even today, 4X games struggle with turn endings - engines resolve everything on that click, but Ascendancy cuts it up perfectly. You never wait. Its just click and go. Its perfect in all of its simplicity, and yet has many layers to it.

So yeah... in that vein, I'm really still trying to play the same type of games. Lots of strategy, 4X... C&C Red Alert really was the next logical step, another game I completely absorbed at the time.

1. Total War Warhammer 3
2. EXO ONE ( 39.99)

Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 10 Pro
Well if only two of you enter, lol I suppose I can flip a coin to see who gets first place! :D

D

Deleted member 24505

For me it was FarCry. when i first tried it it was amazing, and i still think it is. Imo it was one of them ground breaking games that starts something. Still love it, and i have every single FarCry game including 6.

I would very much like Dying Light 2 please. TYVVM
2nd choice is The Signal From Tölva

Last edited by a moderator:
Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 10 Pro
For me it was FarCry. when i first tried it it was amazing, and i still think it is. Imo it was one of them ground breaking games that starts something. Still love it, and i have every single FarCry game including 6.

I would very much like Dying Light 2 please. TYVVM
I'm a big Far Cry fan myself. The first one was without a doubt one of the best games I've played. It was amazing for sure. I'm working my way through New Dawn and FC6 atm.

Oh and Tigger, please add a second-place game. I'm giving away two games this time around. 1st place gets a game up to $59.99 and 2nd place gets a game up to $39.99

stinger608

Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder
System Name Dean Machine/2020 Ryzenfall
Processor Intel 4790K/AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard MSI 1150 Gaming mATX/Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED/SilverStone AH240 AIO
Memory 16 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer/16 gigs G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1660 Super/Gigabyte GTX 1660
Storage Crucial SSD 256 and 2TB spinner/Dual Samsung 980 Pro M2 NVME 4.0
Display(s) Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic modular 850 watt Platinum/EVGA T2-850 Titanium
Software Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro
Hands down, my first "WOW" factor was the original Unreal!!!! It was unreal.......... :p :p :p
The amazing colors, details, and game play really sold me on PC gaming!
Don't get me wrong, one of the first awesome PC games that had a big impact on me was the original Doom. Followed by Quake. I played a lot of Doom, Quake, Heretic, and Hexen, but the minute I purchased and fired up Unreal, there was no going back.
Hmmmm, can you tell I like first person shooters? :roll:

If I won, I'd choose Back 4 Blood

If 2nd place, I choose Postal 4: no regrets.

A huge thanks to @WhiteNoise for yet another amazing giveaway!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :respect::respect::respect::respect::respect:

Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 10 Pro
I admit to being a big UT fan as well but I came on the scene much later and a bunch of us at work would all play on our lunch breaks. It was some of the best fun I have ever had on the job!

stinger608

Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder
System Name Dean Machine/2020 Ryzenfall
Processor Intel 4790K/AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard MSI 1150 Gaming mATX/Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED/SilverStone AH240 AIO
Memory 16 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer/16 gigs G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1660 Super/Gigabyte GTX 1660
Storage Crucial SSD 256 and 2TB spinner/Dual Samsung 980 Pro M2 NVME 4.0
Display(s) Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic modular 850 watt Platinum/EVGA T2-850 Titanium
Software Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro
I admit to being a big UT fan as well but I came on the scene much later and a bunch of us at work would all play on our lunch breaks. It was some of the best fun I have ever had on the job!

Yeah, I'm not talking Unreal Tournament, I meant the original Unreal. LOL.
Of course, I did a lot of Unreal Tournament, UT2K3 and UT2K4 as well. Heck, started going to a bunch of LAN parties right after UT2K3 released. I still have about 10 disks with mods, maps, and ported game mods.
One we used to play a lot was UT2K3 Death Ball. God that was a huge blast!!!!!

Oh man, this makes me want to install all the UT2K3 stuff again............ I'd have to re-learn how to install all the mods and crap....... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LurkyLurker

A couple of games come to mind - the original Deus Ex blew me away with the variety of paths and tactics offered to achieve each objective, you could load up and go in guns blazing, find a back way in and work your way through slowly and non-lethally, turn the enemies' tech against them... at the time it was so much beyond from anything I'd experienced to that point.

The other game is the 1997 re-imagining of Battlezone. It was a pack in game with my first real gaming graphics card - Monster 3D Voodoo2 - and it was such a solid execution of merging first/3rd (I *think* I remember behind the tank view options?) person action/shooting and actual RTS style base building and troop management. That something so complicated was handled so well made it such a joy to play. And I'm not aware of another game since (other than the sequel, and maybe Pikmin?) that has tried something similar.

I played both of those to death.

Selections (I think these fall into the price ranges, have to convert from the CAD prices Steam presents me):
1. Cyberpunk 2077 (haven't tried yet, and even if I don't end up liking it, I can still get use out of it as a benchmark)
2. Teardown (early access, but it looks like a fun sandbox to play in)

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 10 Pro
C'mon TPUers! let's get more members involved! I enjoy giving peops a cool game to play but I more so enjoy the stories. Years ago this thread would be piled high with stories. Keep em coming!

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
During the holidays in 1999, i had a sony playstation and i fired up Tactical Espionage Action Metal Gear Solid for the very first time and boy was I in for an amazing experience.
The game had some of the most memorable characters ranging from Solid Snake, Liquid Snake, Revolver Ocelot, Otacon, Meryl, Vulcan Raven, Psycho Mantis, Sniper Wolf, Gray Fox etc etc.
The story had me captivated with the characters background, brilliant voice actor portraying them and not to mention the plot twist after each boss encounter.
I had ton of fun with the gameplay and you can either shoot in first person or third person, jump in a box and hide, drop a naughty magazine to lure soldiers away.
Now the soundtrack .... one of the best ive heard on sony playstation.... among my favourite tracks are enclosure, the best is yet to come, escape.

After i finished the game i felt empty because i was amazed how good this game was, my anticipation for the sequal is very high. I would read video games magazines for any info at my local library.
Will happily fire up this game on my PS2 and play through it all over again.

Selection for games i want Aliens Fireteam Elite and Terminator: Resistance

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
Wow! Thanks a lot for the new giveaway WhiteNoise!

Many games stunned me but the one game that altered my view on videogames was the 1st Gran Turismo in 1997 on PS1. Since I am fond of cars since being a child, GT was more than I could dream about back then and it started a whole new game genre. You could drive and race cars that you saw around you every day in real life not only supercars. You could improve them, tune them and race them vs other cars in different and well designed racetracks. It has some flaws but the joy was so much that I didn't bother to criticize it apart from the increased difficulty of some license tests.

The games of choice are:
1) RDR2
2) Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game (early access)

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 10 Pro
I usually don't partake in my own giveaways but not in for the games but in for the story.

So let me tell my story. I have been gaming off and on since the mid-'70s. My first experience with gaming came in 1977 when my Dad brought two pong wheels home. To me at the time, it was incredible. Then in 1978, he brought home the Atari 2600. Again it was mind-blowing. As I grew up I forgot about video games for motocross, hunting, and girls but around 1985 the Nintendo was released and I mowed lawns all summer to buy one. I had it hooked up to a 13" black and white tv and I LOVED THAT SYSTEM! Good lord, this was incredible to me. The graphics blew my mind. So very awesome!!
Then I got a bit older and cars, music, and girls took over my life. I didn't play too many games over these years and I was emancipated at 17, becoming an adult, working part-time to pay rent, and going to high school. My parents emancipated me so they could leave me behind and go off to live their dream lives. Whatever. it sucked and I struggled but made it work. Gaming was without a doubt the last thing I ever thought about. Money, school, and getting laid was my mission in life.

At 19 I moved to California, (from PA) and I won't lie, it was tuff. I was this young punk headbanger with long hair and tats. Nobody would hire me and I eventually cut all my hair off just to score a job. that is an entire story in itself.

1995 was the year I bought the PlayStation. Back then I could barely get by for rent but I saved and picked this unit up. Now the last system I owned was the original Nintendo. I did play other systems like the genesis and super Nintendo (friends systems) but MY next game system was the Playstation.

I remember going to EB games and literally spending hours in there on a payday because I was so unsure of buying a game. I mean, the cost of a new game was substantial to me and there were no review sites or anything back then. I mean we had some mags but I didn't have money for that. I would read the back of each game and just stand there unsure. Back then a game was a big investment. That was money I would not have for food. I'd skip eating for several days just to own a game.

One game was released around 1996 that I was instantly attracted to. Being a kid of the '70s and '80s, Indiana Jones was a big deal to me and now I had a game in my hand that allowed me to play a female Indy! Lara introduced me to Tomb Raider and it BLEW MY MIND! This game was like nothing I had ever played!. I mean c'mon, this was legit a whole new way to play. The freedom of motion, the exploring, puzzles, combat, running with two hands outstretched firing rounds into everything! It rocked! I don't even know how to put it in words. this game blew my mind, made a HUGE impact on me, and hooked me to gaming for life.

I will be turning 49 next month. Gaming is as much a part of my life as my wife and children. Sure I hold them leaps and bounds above gaming but good lord I am a gamer for life. What's cool is my kids both love gaming too and even the wife jumps in once in a while. I'll always remember Tomb Raider as being that game that, (as the kids say) shook me.

Three games in all blew my mind back in those days, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, and Golden Eye. Those were the days...

Wow! Thanks a lot for the new giveaway WhiteNoise!
I do this for you and all the other peops on this site. I appreciate all the info and just general (smarter than me info) that I get from being at this site. lol.

So really this is my thank you to YOU GUYS!

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I usually don't partake in my own giveaways but not in for the games but in for the story.

So let me tell my story. I have been gaming off and on since the mid-'70s. My first experience with gaming came in 1977 when my Dad brought two pong wheels home. To me at the time, it was incredible. Then in 1978, he brought home the Atari 2600. Again it was mind-blowing. As I grew up I forgot about video games for motocross, hunting, and girls but around 1985 the Nintendo was released and I mowed lawns all summer to buy one. I had it hooked up to a 13" black and white tv and I LOVED THAT SYSTEM! Good lord, this was incredible to me. The graphics blew my mind. So very awesome!!
Then I got a bit older and cars, music, and girls took over my life. I didn't play too many games over these years and I was emancipated at 17, becoming an adult, working part-time to pay rent, and going to high school. My parents emancipated me so they could leave me behind and go off to live their dream lives. Whatever. it sucked and I struggled but made it work. Gaming was without a doubt the last thing I ever thought about. Money, school, and getting laid was my mission in life.

At 19 I moved to California, (from PA) and I won't lie, it was tuff. I was this young punk headbanger with long hair and tats. Nobody would hire me and I eventually cut all my hair off just to score a job. that is an entire story in itself.

1995 was the year I bought the PlayStation. Back then I could barely get by for rent but I saved and picked this unit up. Now the last system I owned was the original Nintendo. I did play other systems like the genesis and super Nintendo (friends systems) but MY next game system was the Playstation.

I remember going to EB games and literally spending hours in there on a payday because I was so unsure of buying a game. I mean, the cost of a new game was substantial to me and there were no review sites or anything back then. I mean we had some mags but I didn't have money for that. I would read the back of each game and just stand there unsure. Back then a game was a big investment. That was money I would not have for food. I'd skip eating for several days just to own a game.

One game was released around 1996 that I was instantly attracted to. Being a kid of the '70s and '80s, Indiana Jones was a big deal to me and now I had a game in my hand that allowed me to play a female Indy! Lara introduced me to Tomb Raider and it BLEW MY MIND! This game was like nothing I had ever played!. I mean c'mon, this was legit a whole new way to play. The freedom of motion, the exploring, puzzles, combat, running with two hands outstretched firing rounds into everything! It rocked! I don't even know how to put it in words. this game blew my mind, made a HUGE impact on me, and hooked me to gaming for life.

I will be turning 49 next month. Gaming is as much a part of my life as my wife and children. Sure I hold them leaps and bounds above gaming but good lord I am a gamer for life. What's cool is my kids both love gaming too and even the wife jumps in once in a while. I'll always remember Tomb Raider as being that game that, (as the kids say) shook me.

Three games in all blew my mind back in those days, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, and Golden Eye. Those were the days...

I do this for you and all the other peops on this site. I appreciate all the info and just general (smarter than me info) that I get from being at this site. lol.

So really this is my thank you to YOU GUYS!

This is an amazing story. Honestly that is wild you came from nothing and are now able to support a family and take them to Hawaii and do giveaways, etc. **** your parents, they missed out. Money can only buy so much happiness in the long term. I hope you don't let them see their grand kids, they will want to, as they get older and realize their temporal existence is coming to an end. hehehe No one ever listens to the philosophers though.

I am in similar situation as you at the moment, minus the parent thing (though they are nutter as can be and I can't stand living there anymore), and at 34 not 19, due to autism I still live with my parents. I can live on my own, and have done so when I was away at grad school, but **** pay jobs are mostly limiting me from getting out on my own, I am very disciplined with my money, but its not enough, not in this economy.

I would tell your kids, don't believe in the 4 year traditional uni lies. Find an in-demand career path, and forge your own life, that was my biggest mistake, believing a college degree would change my stars. I have had student loans since I was 18 years old, and will for another 10-15. I would love a family of my own, but that also will probably never happen for me for multiple reasons, also, not sure it is ethically right of me to pass on genetic material that is autism, its not an easy life going solo through everything, never being invited to old college friends weddings, etc. I suppose that is why I am so eccentric on this site, its my little refuge where I get to have a little fun, lol

D

Deleted member 215115

First game that I was amazed by was Counter-Strike, I think version 1.3 but can't really remember. The year was 2000 and I was 4 years old at that time. A friend from a floor below me had the game installed on his brother's computer and I was hooked as soon as he showed it to me. The huge variety of guns you could buy and shoot in the game was mind-blowing. I still play the game to this day and I believe that Counter-Strike 1.6 is the greatest competitive FPS game ever made. I must have played over 20.000 hours at this point and will probably play 20.000 more. The skill ceiling is ridiculously high and mastering the game automagically makes you good at any FPS game out there. A true masterpiece.

Another game that blew me away was Need for Speed Underground 2. I used to love cars when I was little so the game was perfect for me. The races, the customization, the story, everything was amazing but the best thing about it was playing it with my friend who didn't have a computer at the time. He would come over almost every day and we would play for hours and hours taking turns to win races. Then came Need for Speed Most Wanted in 2005 and that was the first time I had to upgrade my PC to be able to play a game. And the upgrade: a DVD writer and some speakers :laugh: . I couldn't install the game because my PC came with a CD writer and couldn't read DVDs. Needless to say, I then played the crap out of MW as well...

Those were the days, man...

System Name Commercial towing vehicle "Nostromo"
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard X570 Unify
Cooling EK-AIO 360
Memory 32 GB Fury 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) 4070 Ti Eagle
Storage SN850 NVMe 1TB + Renegade NVMe 2TB + 870 EVO 4TB
Display(s) 25" Legion Y25g-30
Case Lian Li LanCool 216 v2
Audio Device(s) B & W PX7 S2e
Power Supply HX1500i
Mouse Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition
Keyboard Scope II 96 Wireless
Software Windows 11 23H2
Return to Castle Wolfenstein (or RTCW) - because it was the first multiplayer game I ran into - and had decent graphics for the time
Half-Life 2 - introducing gravity and the graphics was mind blowing for the time it was released....

And my first ZX Spectrum with Pac-Man - and Commodore 64 with tape station the games "Who Dares Wins" and Who Dares Wins II" - that were times.....

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
I would say the most influential game for me, at least first one, was Myst. I played the game back in 94 when I was visiting my uncle during the summer. He showed me the game and I got to give it a go. Was really impressed as the only game that I was impressed with visually was (I know) Drakkhen. That game though pissed me off (Panther head shooting lasers from his eyes kills my entire team within first 2mins of the game) while Myst was quite nice and relaxing with its puzzles.

Game 1: Only game I think seems interesting is Back 4 Blood.

Game 2: If I get second place, I guess Darkest Dungeon 2

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 10 Pro
@lynx29 Not to go too off-topic but my Mom passed away in 2017 from cancer. We had a good relationship. Yeah as a kid I was hurt when they left but it was my Dad that forced all of that. My Mom was always a loving mother and they divorced a few years after leaving me behind. My Dad on the other hand is not a part of my life and never will be. He has tried a few times wanting to know his grandkids but he is a terrible person and my kids are better off not knowing him.

I never went to college as I just never had the means. I struggled through life for a good long time before discovering warehousing. I've been in warehouse management for over 20 years now. My company recently moved out of state, so I am currently unemployed, sitting on a fat severance, and just enjoying life. My Wife makes a lot of money so there is no hurry for me to go back to work but I do plan to get back into a Management position early next year. There is always demand for what I do.

/edit

Remember to list the games you want. @sepheronx @VulkanBros (I assume you want to have a chance to win)

Thanks!

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Star Control 2. Need I say more?
The first Gothic was also mind blowing.

But my first wow! moment was when I nailed my first "realistic landing" in F117.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Samsung Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Home 64
I'd have to go back to Shinning in the Darkness or Shining Force on the Sega Genesis.

I played many, many RPGs before them; starting back with the original Dragon Warrior on NES to even playing odd text-based games I installed off discs on the good old floppy drive (A: on the family computer), but the names of those games have long left my memory. I can remember snippets from games off the floppy discs, but I can't remember what any of them were called. I was no stranger to RPGs, but these two were different....somehow, someway.

There was something about these two games that just drew me in. I don't know if it was the story or animations or something else, but I absolutely loved them. I could get lost in the games for hours upon hours. I didn't own them, never had saved up enough money at any one time to purchase them, just a few bucks here and there from my weekly allowance for doing chores. Thankfully a Hollywood Video wasn't too far away and I could bike there. I would rent one game and you could keep it for 3 days and I'd return it and then I'd have to wait until I got my allowance and I'd rush out to the video store hoping no one else had it out for rent or that no one deleted my saved progress. That was how I spent my summer that year in 1991, if I wasn't playing baseball, soccer or running around with friends, 3 days out of the week I was glued to the TV playing one or the other.

My wife still has her functional Sega Genesis - has a couple of Sonic games, a Columns games, a Garfield game and one other that I can't recall.....maybe I should track down a working copy of Shining in the Darkness and Shining Force.

Last edited:
System Name nope
Processor I3 10100F
Motherboard ATM Gigabyte h410
Cooling Arctic 12 passive
Memory ATM Gskill 1x 8GB NT Series (No Heatspreader bling bling garbage, just Black DIMMS)
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD7770 and EVGA GTX 470 and Zotac GTX 960
Storage 120GB OS SSD, 240GB M2 Sata, 240GB M2 NVME, 300GB HDD, 500GB HDD
Display(s) Nec EA 241 WM
Case Coolermaster whatever
Audio Device(s) Onkyo on TV and Mi Bluetooth on Screen
Power Supply Super Flower Leadx 550W
Mouse Steelseries Rival Fnatic
Keyboard Logitech K270 Wireless
Software Deepin, BSD and 10 LTSC
There are so many first Games i dont even know which one its was on PS One; Pandemonium, Crock, Crash Derby or even Tombraider or GTA i dont know it.
Cause my parents had a Video library/shop. But the game with the most wow factor was GTA (hey i was 7 Years old) :laugh:.

The second best were 2 games on PS2 the Burnout and Mindnight Club Series :rockout:

In the past between 7 and 15 i was the only one in the School and Friends who could play Games with USK 18 :nutkick:,
if i wanted to a Game maybe on PS2 (GTA 3 / Vice City, Silent Hill, Obscure etc) my mom bught it for me.:love:

System Name Bad Moon Ryzen
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4-F
Cooling Vetroo V5
Memory Crucial Ballistix 32Gb (8gb x 4) 3200 MHz DDR 4
Video Card(s) 6700 XT
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 1Tb, Samsung 860 Evo 500Gb,WD Black 8Tb, WD Blue 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270bmiix & 4K Samsung TV
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact w/Dark Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply MSI MPG A850GF (850w)
VR HMD Rift S
Thanks again @WhiteNoise for another great giveaway. I'm using my DOOM story on PC again as it is genuinely the first game that blew me away.

It was early 1994 and I was 15 years old when it happened. DOOM.

A rich friend at senior school started feeding me information about a shareware game his Dad had got hold of on their Gateway PC. In all honesty, I didn't believe him when he said the game had "mind blowing graphics" PCs back then, certainly to schoolkids, were looked upon as niche and business like. Anyway, he agreed that I could go to his house one lunchtime and he would show me. He booted up the game.....

"Holy shit!" it looked real. From the digitized hand holding the gun to the lifelike mountains in the background I was transfixed. The soundtrack and the 3D gameplay (very new at that time) drew me in. We played for the entire lunchtime and I didn't want to go back to school. The feeling of "one more go" was so strong with this game. For weeks and weeks all I kept thinking about was "that" game. My systems (Amiga,Megadrive,Spectrum) all seemed so shit now, redundant. Nothing compared to that experience. I started buying PC magazines and would read them cover to cover until the pages started curling too much from all the abuse I put them through. I pleaded with my parents but in reality the price was just too much to even entertain the idea of having a family PC. It wasn't until many years later that I could finally finance my own gaming PC and start playing through all the games I had revered all those years previously.

GAME #1 - Life Is Strange Remastered Collection (Steam)
GAME #2 - Mass Effect Legendary Edition (Steam)

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 470 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
I'm pretty sure the game I'll mention is not my favorite game, and definitely not the best I've ever played. It's definitely not the most influential game I've ever played, but boy did it leave me speechless.

The game is Spec Ops: The Line.

If you look at it at a glance you'll see mediocre game play and not particularly great visuals. It was dated even for the period it launched in.

But the story, it's presentation and its characters are mind blowing.
To this day I have not played a game that made me say "oh no, what have I done". Those that played know what scene I'm referring to.

Also another thing that amazed me is how the characters and their interaction is professional in the beginning while everything is nice and cool, but as things go south more and more, the characters become more nervous, less trustful, less "good". And you get to experience this deterioration first hand.

Crash trilogy, CTR, Syphon Filter, GT2, Metal gear solid, WC3, Red Alert 2, just some of my favorite games, games I could go back to dozens of times, but not one of them left such an impression on me as much as Spec Ops.
I just wish I could erase any memory of it so I could experience it again, as I feel that games like these can only truly be enjoyed just once.
Kinda like Usual Suspects.

As far as games go, here are my picks:
#1 Forza Horizon 5 (the more expensive one)
#2 Nier Automata (cheaper one)