• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Your cooling setup and why did you choose/go that route?

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Right now, I just run a decently spacious case (psu shroud and odd intake layout aside,) with a big tower cooler and a triple-fan midrange card. Simple. Three 140mm intakes on the front, one exhaust on the back. The top of this case is also an exhaust. It has 3 additional fan slots. I figure I have what I need for decent positive pressure. A 3900x gets a lot done and doesn't really consume much on average. It can be a sub-100w CPU. The 3060ti does around 200w. So it's like my ASUS 2060, which could use 180w to do far less. I'm getting my use out of this updated corsair RM650x. Cables are a bitch, but it's a good, quiet unit.

Everything I have is decently quiet, I leave that breathing room and carefully tune my curves and heuristics. This EVGA card might have issues one day and at stock wasn't the quietest. It has auto-stop for its 'efficiency' mode. But the bearings on the fans are those that hate full spiderman orientation and growl a little every time they start. At idle, it teeters around the threshold. So they'll just begin to spin up, stop for a random little moment in time, and try to start again, over and over. I run a more traditional low-rpm idle instead and it ends up being a pretty quiet card. I don't mind the triple fan 1.5-2 slot cards for that reason. My strix 2060 was a hulking beast of a card, just so overbuilt. But because of that it was super-quiet and it would pass 2000-mhz all on its own. I like when things can work out like that on air.

I do generally prefer air. It's just so much simpler and more reliable for parts that run down at middling power levels. Less expensive, too. Clean the dust every now and then - check your filters (use filters.) I don't like to always be tinkering with my gear. After the whole discovery period where I'm feeling out the balance and learning where the performance capabilities are, I kind of see the constant tweaking as a mark of dissatisfaction. Not that it's necessarily true for you, just my conclusion when I look at myself. I discipline myself a little to put serious focus on working it up to an optimal performance niche for my needs so that from that point on, it can just work for me and I can put my full focus on what I'm actually using the system for. I enjoy playing with PC rigs and new parts, too. But I can just seek out the odd commission build for that fix. My main system is why I bother to gain the knowledge in the first place. There's a goal with a start and end point.

It just has to be like that for me. ADHD makes one want to deviate from projects like these at some point, you get pulled in different directions. A system in continual need of refinement and adjustments is a major monkey on my back. It's easier to get to that crystallization point with air.

However, my next build is gonna be a very compact build. Maybe still ATX, but very small. Like, as small as possible, on the SFX PSU standard. I like the Cerberus X a lot. It's a rewarding challenge. Looks well built, giving you quite a lot to work with while being impressively small for something that accommodates a full ATX mobo. It's barely wider than the mobo itself. You could still put it on air, but obviously there isn't going to be much space in it for a good flow pattern.
5.jpg
CO-PSU-SFXP.jpg

It has other PSU options, and things like an optional hinged front rack to add mounting spots. Still gonna be a challenge in terms of rad space. It could concievably house at least two 240mm rads as long as they're under 30mm thick. Or something a like a 280 and a dual 92mm rad - slap some noccies on it for extra bottom rad volume to back up a 280 on the front. The way the mounting areas are punched allows for that kind of stuff, which is handy, because being limited to only convetional component forms would make laying out a full loop and leaving mounting space for a 2.5" drive or two much more difficult - I will have to be pretty careful with part selection to make everything work out. I'm honestly not sure what I would do with a case like this, yet. But that's part of the appeal with this side of building and configuring cooling setups.

With current platforms allowing for 2 nvme drives, I can deal with doing just that for system/games and then tacking on a fatter sata ssd for general storage. I came into a dual-chip 10-core xeon dell server, which is going to get packed with drives for both shared network storage and backup. So I can leave pretty much all of my available mounting space for cooling. But in a case this compact, I think I would rather go full custom liquid. It would be an interesting challenge for me, and will likely be the better way to get decent cooling for more power-hungry components.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 57ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum, transparent custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
Right now, I just run a decently spacious case (psu shroud and odd intake layout aside,) with a big tower cooler and a triple-fan midrange card. Simple. Three 140mm intakes on the front, one exhaust on the back. The top of this case is also an exhaust. It has 3 additional fan slots. I figure I have what I need for decent positive pressure. A 3900x gets a lot done and doesn't really consume much on average. It can be a sub-100w CPU. The 3060ti does around 200w. So it's like my ASUS 2060, which could use 180w to do far less. I'm getting my use out of this updated corsair RM650x. Cables are a bitch, but it's a good, quiet unit.

Everything I have is decently quiet, I leave that breathing room and carefully tune my curves and heuristics. This EVGA card might have issues one day and at stock wasn't the quietest. It has auto-stop for its 'efficiency' mode. But the bearings on the fans are those that hate full spiderman orientation and growl a little every time they start. At idle, it teeters around the threshold. So they'll just begin to spin up, stop for a random little moment in time, and try to start again, over and over. I run a more traditional low-rpm idle instead and it ends up being a pretty quiet card. I don't mind the triple fan 1.5-2 slot cards for that reason. My strix 2060 was a hulking beast of a card, just so overbuilt. But because of that it was super-quiet and it would pass 2000-mhz all on its own. I like when things can work out like that on air.

I do generally prefer air. It's just so much simpler and more reliable for parts that run down at middling power levels. Less expensive, too. Clean the dust every now and then - check your filters (use filters.) I don't like to always be tinkering with my gear. After the whole discovery period where I'm feeling out the balance and learning where the performance capabilities are, I kind of see the constant tweaking as a mark of dissatisfaction. Not that it's necessarily true for you, just my conclusion when I look at myself. I discipline myself a little to put serious focus on working it up to an optimal performance niche for my needs so that from that point on, it can just work for me and I can put my full focus on what I'm actually using the system for. I enjoy playing with PC rigs and new parts, too. But I can just seek out the odd commission build for that fix. My main system is why I bother to gain the knowledge in the first place. There's a goal with a start and end point.

It just has to be like that for me. ADHD makes one want to deviate from projects like these at some point, you get pulled in different directions. A system in continual need of refinement and adjustments is a major monkey on my back. It's easier to get to that crystallization point with air.

However, my next build is gonna be a very compact build. Maybe still ATX, but very small. Like, as small as possible, on the SFX PSU standard. I like the Cerberus X a lot. It's a rewarding challenge. Looks well built, giving you quite a lot to work with while being impressively small for something that accommodates a full ATX mobo. It's barely wider than the mobo itself. You could still put it on air, but obviously there isn't going to be much space in it for a good flow pattern.
View attachment 259666 View attachment 259667

It has other PSU options, and things like an optional hinged front rack to add mounting spots. Still gonna be a challenge in terms of rad space. It could concievably house at least two 240mm rads as long as they're under 30mm thick. Or something a like a 280 and a dual 92mm rad - slap some noccies on it for extra bottom rad volume to back up a 280 on the front. The way the mounting areas are punched allows for that kind of stuff, which is handy, because being limited to only convetional component forms would make laying out a full loop and leaving mounting space for a 2.5" drive or two much more difficult - I will have to be pretty careful with part selection to make everything work out. I'm honestly not sure what I would do with a case like this, yet. But that's part of the appeal with this side of building and configuring cooling setups.

With current platforms allowing for 2 nvme drives, I can deal with doing just that for system/games and then tacking on a fatter sata ssd for general storage. I came into a dual-chip 10-core xeon dell server, which is going to get packed with drives for both shared network storage and backup. So I can leave pretty much all of my available mounting space for cooling. But in a case this compact, I think I would rather go full custom liquid. It would be an interesting challenge for me, and will likely be the better way to get decent cooling for more power-hungry components.
I recommend the sm580, like my case but 280mm rad support.

Theoretically you could have 2x 240mm in my sm570 case but I've found one thick rad is enough.

Cerberus makes size compromises to accommodate atx psu etc, not needed.

If you do go sliger I recommend custom cables from p slate customs. They do exact lengths premeasured for sliger cases. I have gpu 12pin, cpu, mobo and power cable from them. Silver unsleeved is sexy.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Hey, thanks for the suggestions! Nice to hear from someone with some experience with Sliger. It's true, I don't need the ATX PSU compatibility. That sm580 looks sick, too. This is planned for spring next year, so there's still a lot of time for me to look at my options. Custom cables are definitely a given though!

Last edited:
System Name Storm Wrought | Blackwood (HTPC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x @stock | i7 2600k
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro WIFI m-ITX | Some POS gigabyte board
Cooling Deepcool AK620, BQ shadow wings 3 High Spd, stock 180mm |BQ Shadow rock LP + 4x120mm Noctua redux
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x32GB 4000MHz | 2x4GB 2000MHz @1866
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6800XT Red Dragon | PNY a2000 6GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 1TB, 1TB KC3000, 850EVO 500GB, 2+8TB Seagate, LG Blu-ray | 120GB Sandisk SSD, 4TB WD red
Display(s) Samsung UJ590UDE 32" UHD monitor | LG CS 55" OLED
Case Silverstone TJ08B-E | Custom built wooden case (Aus native timbers)
Audio Device(s) Onboard, Sennheiser HD 599 cans / Logitech z163's | Edifier S2000 MKIII via toslink
Power Supply Corsair HX 750 | Corsair SF 450
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse| Some logitech one
Keyboard GMMK w/ Zelio V2 62g (78g for spacebar) tactile switches & Glorious black keycaps| Some logitech one
VR HMD HTC Vive
Software Win 10 Edu | Ubuntu 22.04
Benchmark Scores Look in the various benchmark threads
Summer here is just... not good for existing. Went to the beach, 45C, 100KM/h winds, thunderstorm blowing in which of course felt great - was like being in front of an open oven door.
And the lightning started the bushfires i had to drive through to get home so... yeaaaaaah.

Aussie + high wattage system = learn to undervolt.
I spent some time out in Mildura in the middle of summer and we got a few 47C days which were windy and it was definitely an oven door breeze those days. They can keep it.

I was likely in the middle of one of the fires you're referring to.

D

Deleted member 177333

I run a custom water cooling system in my rig. Two loops sharing one larger reservoir. One loop is for the CPU and the other is for the GPU(s).
Reason is two-fold - 1.) Quiet. If I'm not gaming I dial my radiator fans down to the point that they are virtually silent. 2.) The obvious - better temperatures for overclocking and hardware longevity.

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, Alphacool NexXxoS ST25 360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe x 2
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
I have been thinking about the pro's and cons about air vs. Aio vs. Custom water cooling vs. Face cooling. I don't think I will take dry ice or ln2 in this thread as that is extreme cooling and not very usable for every day use.

So to simply sum it up. This thread is to discuss what cooling you have and why you choose that.

I had gotten a Corsair H100i when it was the new thing to try it with the 3800x when it came out. I still have it and quite frankly it worked well but I didn't like the disposable nature of it and preferred something I could maintain.

Later I had gotten a $280 rx5700 on newegg special (reference card with blower) where the blower cooler was getting pretty loud and annoying after gaming and watching GamersNexus and Jay's 2 cents watercooling videos somewhere between a few months to a year. I decided to give it a try and got an 011D Lian Li case when EK's GPU water blocks went on sale for like 50% off since the rx5700 models were no longer the hot potato everyone wanted. Later again they had a sale on monoblocks where one just happened to be available for my motherboard again for a heavy price reduction - woohoo not breaking the bank. So I ended up with a D5 pump/res combo and CoolStream PE 360 and a really quiet/silent system. I could keep my fans on low, never heard the pump, and always just let the system run a bit warm no problem 24/7 for about 2 years. Just the single PE 360 was all that was needed to satisfy rx5700 and 3800x and I wasn't doing any kind of crazy overclocking just some work and gaming. Even after upgrading to 3950x/5950x temps are just fine for what I do. I didn't need the more elaborate 3 rad setup that you see everyone building so money saved and complexity avoided there.

After a tax refund I decided to try an EK 011D distroplate (unfortunately not on sale) made for my case with some mixed results and increased noise from the pump. First DHS delivered the distroplate to some stranger in east jahunga and took a picture and called it delivered. After some time EK was nice enough to send me another one free of charge after DHS didn't bother to try to retrieve the original package.

After the pandemic hit and I was forced to work from home the noise reduction really paid for itself especially for many remote meetings and I ended up moving my gaming to a new air cooled pc that is also my emergency backup.

Pros: You can run a really cool and quiet system with the right setup. You can even let it run a bit warm to maintain the quietness of low rpm fans while heating your room in the winter.
Cons: Even when stuff is on sale it's still quite expensive overall compared a single good air cooler
Note: Get a good case with good airflow for the things you are not water cooling
Tips: Pressure test your loop and you will be more comfortable that you wont spring a leak
Gripes: Murphy's Law

I had gotten a Corsair H100i when it was the new thing to try it with the 3800x when it came out. I still have it and quite frankly it worked well but I didn't like the disposable nature of it and preferred something I could maintain.

Later I had gotten a $280 rx5700 on newegg special (reference card with blower) where the blower cooler was getting pretty loud and annoying after gaming and watching GamersNexus and Jay's 2 cents watercooling videos somewhere between a few months to a year. I decided to give it a try and got an 011D Lian Li case when EK's GPU water blocks went on sale for like 50% off since the rx5700 models were no longer the hot potato everyone wanted. Later again they had a sale on monoblocks where one just happened to be available for my motherboard again for a heavy price reduction - woohoo not breaking the bank. So I ended up with a D5 pump/res combo and CoolStream PE 360 and a really quiet/silent system. I could keep my fans on low, never heard the pump, and always just let the system run a bit warm no problem 24/7 for about 2 years. Just the single PE 360 was all that was needed to satisfy rx5700 and 3800x and I wasn't doing any kind of crazy overclocking just some work and gaming. Even after upgrading to 3950x/5950x temps are just fine for what I do. I didn't need the more elaborate 3 rad setup that you see everyone building so money saved and complexity avoided there.

After a tax refund I decided to try an EK 011D distroplate (unfortunately not on sale) made for my case with some mixed results and increased noise from the pump. First DHS delivered the distroplate to some stranger in east jahunga and took a picture and called it delivered. After some time EK was nice enough to send me another one free of charge after DHS didn't bother to try to retrieve the original package.

After the pandemic hit and I was forced to work from home the noise reduction really paid for itself especially for many remote meetings and I ended up moving my gaming to a new air cooled pc that is also my emergency backup.

Pros: You can run a really cool and quiet system with the right setup. You can even let it run a bit warm to maintain the quietness of low rpm fans while heating your room in the winter.
Cons: Even when stuff is on sale it's still quite expensive overall compared a single good air cooler
Note: Get a good case with good airflow for the things you are not water cooling
Tips: Pressure test your loop and you will be more comfortable that you wont spring a leak
Gripes: Murphy's Law

I have a PE and a XE in my li li D XL, they work out pretty well, just need better fans really specially for the XE

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (B0)
Motherboard MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk Wi-Fi
Cooling Reeven Hans + 6x Arctic P12
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600CL16
Video Card(s) XFX RX 6800 XT Speedster Swft 319
Storage 1.92 TB Corsair MP510
Display(s) AOC 24G2U
Case Phanteks P400A
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 11 BN297 500W
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Origins Core Red
Software Windows 10 Pro
I only used air cooling because i never needed more cooling performance. Even if i need more i can go dual tower first for CPU. Currently using Reeven Hans, an average single tower cooler with Arctic P12 fan. It can handle 5600X running p95 SFFT with PBO (no limits) + CO.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
Water cooling better but imo not worth it compared to air.
I think there is more benefit to be had on the GPU and when you add that money to the setup makes it even worse.
If I build a PC at this moment this is what I would go for
View attachment 259564
How I picked it was looked at TPU price/perf and the perf chart. Picked air cooler that is so efficient that goes into water cooling territory and at the same time has great price/perf.
Nice - though it's heavy as F, and you need a big chassis with lots of air space inside of it, so water it is for me.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 57ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum, transparent custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
20210119_165522.jpg

^ Old photo with previous ram kit and a beer bottle for scale.

PXL_20220828_102236633.jpg

Current photo in non cable managed, post cleaning state, the empty fan headers are from the side panel ram fans, panels are obviously currently not fitted. Ignore the crappy USB it's just for BIOS flashing, and the multitool is for beer. Thing I love about sliger cases is how perfect they are for flow through chimney designs. Pretty much all I'm going to do with this setup from now is maybe make a custom distro for the front panel (which I removed) and fit the watercooling stuff pump/res etc to that for cleanliness.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
View attachment 259718

View attachment 259719
Current photo in non cable managed, post cleaning state, the empty fan headers are from the side panel ram fans, panels are obviously currently not fitted. Ignore the crappy USB it's just for BIOS flashing, and the multitool is for beer. Thing I love about sliger cases is how perfect they are for flow through chimney designs. Pretty much all I'm going to do with this setup from now is maybe make a custom distro for the front panel (which I removed) and fit the watercooling stuff pump/res etc to that for cleanliness.
I thought the beer bottle was part of your cooling setup - which makes perfect sense. Even we, people need to be cooled on hot summer days. :cool:

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
I thought the beer bottle was part of your cooling setup - which makes perfect sense. Even we, people need to be cooled on hot summer days. :cool:
Question is did you notice the liquid metal/thermal paste residue from fingers in the top right side of the frame? :D Fingers get hot too you know.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
View attachment 259718

View attachment 259719
Hi,
Yep that's thinking outside the box alright
Once you do that might as well put the top rad out there too even mid towers get small fast :laugh:

Attachments

• top-open side-1.jpg
    top-open side-1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 51
  • x299 and x99 open filter tops.jpg
    x299 and x99 open filter tops.jpg
    635 KB · Views: 45

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Hi,
Once you do that might as well put the top rad out there too even mid towers get small fast :laugh:
Nah, if I wanted more rad space I just put slightly bigger feet on the case, mount fans on one side of grill and second rad on the other at the bottom.

Small is good, better static pressure, easier to maintain fast airflow, CPU and GPU both liquid cooled so don't need space or fresh air for air heatsinks. Just put rad wherever they get cool air.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Hi,
Think @tabascosauz is one of the masters of small builds :cool:
Yeah i'm jealous of his Strix Impact, few years ago they changed the impact form factor from mini to micro ATX, so the best mini ITX board is what I have or the Aorus.

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, Alphacool NexXxoS ST25 360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe x 2
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
Hi,
What kind of quick disconnects are those?

System Name Dirt Sheep | Silent Sheep
Processor i5-2400 | 13900K (-0.025mV offset)
Motherboard Asus P8H67-M LE | Gigabyte AERO Z690-G, bios F26 with "Instant 6 GHz" on
Cooling Scythe Katana Type 1 | Noctua NH-U12A chromax.black
Memory G-skill 2*8GB DDR3 | Corsair Vengeance 4*32GB DDR5 5200Mhz C40 @4000MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 970GTX Mini | NV 1080TI FE (cap at 85%, 800mV)
Storage 2*SN850 1TB, 230S 4TB, 840EVO 128GB, WD green 2TB HDD, IronWolf 6TB, 2*HC550 18TB in RAID1
Display(s) LG 21` FHD W2261VP | Lenovo 27` 4K Qreator 27
Case Thermaltake V3 Black|Define 7 Solid, stock 3*14 fans+ 2*12 front&buttom+ out 1*8 (on expansion slot)
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 990 (or the screen speakers when I'm too lazy)
Power Supply Enermax Pro82+ 525W | Corsair RM650x (2021)
Mouse Logitech Master 3
Keyboard Roccat Isku FX
VR HMD Nop.
Software WIN 10 | WIN 11
Benchmark Scores CB23 SC: i5-2400=641 | i9-13900k=2325-2281 MC: i5-2400=i9 13900k SC | i9-13900k=37240-35500
Only air, water is way too loud for me.
I'm going for a silent build with define 7 solid black.
Will add and replace the stock 14mm fan with the upcoming, yet to be released, Noctua 14mm fans (4 of them). If anyone has suggestions on the fan setup I will gladly hear :)

The U12-A will take care of the CPU (undecided yet).

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Will add and replace the stock 14mm fan with the upcoming, yet to be released, Noctua 14mm fans (4 of them). If anyone has suggestions on the fan setup I will gladly hear :)

If water is too loud, you're doing it wrong.

Both can be very quiet, but water can continue being very quiet at much higher thermal loads.

Water is only loud if it is not set up right. I have 2x 360mm rads, with 6 120mm fans on them, and my PC is silent, barley making a noise when gaming.

System Name Dirt Sheep | Silent Sheep
Processor i5-2400 | 13900K (-0.025mV offset)
Motherboard Asus P8H67-M LE | Gigabyte AERO Z690-G, bios F26 with "Instant 6 GHz" on
Cooling Scythe Katana Type 1 | Noctua NH-U12A chromax.black
Memory G-skill 2*8GB DDR3 | Corsair Vengeance 4*32GB DDR5 5200Mhz C40 @4000MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 970GTX Mini | NV 1080TI FE (cap at 85%, 800mV)
Storage 2*SN850 1TB, 230S 4TB, 840EVO 128GB, WD green 2TB HDD, IronWolf 6TB, 2*HC550 18TB in RAID1
Display(s) LG 21` FHD W2261VP | Lenovo 27` 4K Qreator 27
Case Thermaltake V3 Black|Define 7 Solid, stock 3*14 fans+ 2*12 front&buttom+ out 1*8 (on expansion slot)
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 990 (or the screen speakers when I'm too lazy)
Power Supply Enermax Pro82+ 525W | Corsair RM650x (2021)
Mouse Logitech Master 3
Keyboard Roccat Isku FX
VR HMD Nop.
Software WIN 10 | WIN 11
Benchmark Scores CB23 SC: i5-2400=641 | i9-13900k=2325-2281 MC: i5-2400=i9 13900k SC | i9-13900k=37240-35500
I guess I depends on the case.
Also, AIO cost much more and optimally give the same dB level as well optimyzed and quality fans.
It do make it run cooler but that is not my main concern.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
Hi,
Think @tabascosauz is one of the masters of small builds :cool:
Yeah i'm jealous of his Strix Impact, few years ago they changed the impact form factor from mini to micro ATX, so the best mini ITX board is what I have or the Aorus.

I'm not a master of anything, I've just done a lot of builds/wasted a lot of money is all :laugh: and done a lot of traveling with some of them

Right now I gave up the loop for simplicity's sake. Just couldn't bear to have any more problems with the 3070 Ti after what I already went throgh. I don't like the C14S for CPU cooling performance (somewhere around U12S/U14S), but with two fans there still isn't a single cooler in the world that matches its ram airflow. Also still cannot find a case suitably compact/same layout/build quality with >145mm clearance...

cerberus 2022 redux crop.jpg

But I do have the old loop on the side. I haven't done anything except remove the 5900X, drives and PSU, it's still there. I should really get around to draining and disassembling the loop before something grows in it. I want to go back to it but the P3 won't fit the new card and the Cerb X isn't doable since I stripped that res. Optimus block/280mm XT45/DDC w/ heatkiller res or iceman res. Class is starting again soon too, can't be messing around.

loop step 2 crop.jpg

For the truly small stuff (<5L) I like to keep it simple, as it often gets packed into regular suitcases instead of the old Pelican 1510 (which I only use for camera gear now anyway). So APUs and small downdraft coolers only. There are so many more interesting tiny builds out there, but not many that I would trust to take a beating trip after trip

lone l5 after rmas crop.jpg

I really like @dgianstefani 's sandwich layout, it really is great at cooling, but sadly my Impact precludes most sandwich cases as it's simply not compatible :oops:

I tried the SS135 and it wasn't exactly competitive (maybe for smaller cases like M1). NH-D12L looks to be about the same, so I guess the wait continues for both cooler and case.

Last edited:

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
I'm not a master of anything, I've just done a lot of builds/wasted a lot of money is all :laugh: and done a lot of traveling with some of them

Right now I gave up the loop for simplicity's sake. Just couldn't bear to have any more problems with the 3070 Ti after what I already went throgh. I don't like the C14S for CPU cooling performance (somewhere around U12S/U14S), but with two fans there still isn't a single cooler in the world that matches its ram airflow. Also still cannot find a case suitably compact/same layout/build quality with >145mm clearance...

View attachment 259761

But I do have the old loop on the side. I haven't done anything except remove the 5900X, drives and PSU, it's still there. I should really get around to draining and disassembling the loop before something grows in it. I want to go back to it but the P3 won't fit the new card and the Cerb X isn't doable since I stripped that res. Optimus block/280mm XT45/DDC w/ heatkiller res or iceman res. Class is starting again soon too, can't be messing around.

View attachment 259762

For the truly small stuff (<5L) I like to keep it simple, as it often gets packed into regular suitcases instead of the old Pelican 1510 (which I only use for camera gear now anyway). So APUs and small downdraft coolers only. There are so many more interesting tiny builds out there, but not many that I would trust to take a beating trip after trip

View attachment 259763

I really like @dgianstefani 's sandwich layout, it really is great at cooling, but sadly my Impact precludes most sandwich cases as it's simply not compatible :oops:

I tried the SS135 and it wasn't exactly competitive (maybe for smaller cases like M1). NH-D12L looks to be about the same, so I guess the wait continues for both cooler and case.
I love hating on EK but their black chrome quantum torque fittings are very nice indeed. Was tempted by the gold plated versions too but i'm not going to tear apart the entire loop just for that aesthetic reason. Admire your cable management and general neatness, I usually get tired of building, tuning and tweaking by the point i'm satisfied with performance, so much that I don't want to spend an extra half hour or so managing aesthetics.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Air, I would not want things leaking or freezing in storage.

I've always wondered what strength of anti-freeze does not expand upon freezing (for the car).

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
If water is too loud, you're doing it wrong.

Both can be very quiet, but water can continue being very quiet at much higher thermal loads.
dgianstefani is correct.

I am very much a novice at custom cooling loops and only tackled them when the first shelter-in-place orders were issued for the pandemic. I've done two full loops and reconfigured one of those about halfway, so let's say 2.5 loops and what I ended up with for my primary gaming build is in my System Specs.

As I mentioned back on post #122, one of the really big benefits of custom liquid cooling is fewer fan speed changes which are a particular annoyance to my ears. Custom liquid (and to a lesser extent AIOs) is able to handle quick temperature variances because of water's superior thermal capacity. That's physics.

I know some people like to slag on Noctua fans but they do perform well and are quiet. Whether I run a sustained load on the CPU (Cinebench R23 or a Handbrake encode) or play video games, the CPU and GPU radiator fans top out around 1,000 rpm based on my custom fan curves. That is really, really quiet. And while the factory cooler on the ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti OC has pretty quiet fans, they are nowhere as quiet as the ones in my custom loop.

Again as I started in post #122, PC cooling decisions are always a compromise. I set up fan curves knowing that if I run the fans faster, they will shave off a couple of degrees Celsius but generate more noise. It's up to each PC builder to make those decisions thoughtfully.

Remember that ultimately you are getting rid of the same amount of heat. What liquid cooling does is move that heat to a location and thermal transfer system where it can be more quickly and efficiently dissipated.

With my full length waterblock I ended up with a GPU radiator fan curve that tops out at 1000 rpm: two-thirds of the Noctua NF-F12 fan's 1500 rpm maximum speed. That results in a GPU maximum temperature of 63 °C which is maybe 5 degrees less than the stock TUF cooler.

You can't just press the auto sense button in QFan Configuration (or whatever it's labeled for your motherboard brand) and expect to get an ideal fan curve.

Only air, water is way too loud for me

Optimizing your air cooling solutions for acoustics is a very similar process to doing it for liquid. You still need to play around with the fan curves using your BIOS/UEFI, your motherboard monitor software and GPU monitoring software (EVGA Precision X1, Asus GPUTweak, etc.) based on idle temperatures/fan noise, normal load, and peak.

Last edited: