• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

z390 native Intel SATA controllers: located in PCH?

I've had another disappearance issue with my Samsung 870 QVO 4 TiB. It disappears from device mangler and the BIOS -- sometimes while the system is running and windows 10 is booted, sometimes after shutdown. Examining the SMART stats for the 870 QVO 4 TiB doesn't reveal anything amiss (no reallocated sectors or error of any kind, except for POR count). I've had this same issue with a Samsung 850 Pro 256GiB, a HP 1260d DVD-RW and a Toshiba HDWD120 2 TiB HDD. I have slathered dielectric grease on all the SATA power connectors and SATA data connectors (on both ends) to prevent any corrosion on the contacts. If the Intel SATA controllers are located in the PCH would upping the PCH voltage [which defaults to 1.05V] help this intermittent and bizarre issue? What's the upper limit on PCH voltage?

HWiNFO64 has never reported any out-of-spec ATX voltages (either +3.3V, +5V or +12V), but whenever I play a demanding game (e.g. Metro:Exodus or FEAR3 at high res. and detail) the PCIe connectors report voltage drops of almost 0.5V