• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Zalman ZM80D VS new Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer & beyond

sersalpha

Does anybody know if the new Zalman ZM80D with a fan is superior to the new Arctic Cooling VGA silencer offerings? Any opinions on the matter? Are there any other retail aircooling methods worth looking at? Directions to modding cpu heatsinks to act as GPU coolers would also be much appreciated as well. I'm looking to find the best aircooling solution for my 9800 Pro 128MB.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
i will be reviewing the zalman and the new vga silencer in the next days .. samples are here already

Slayerstaps

I personally think the silencers are better then the zalman cause the silencers blow the hot air out the case. If ya use the zalman hot air will just circulate in the case...

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Slayerstaps said:
I personally think the silencers are better then the zalman cause the silencers blow the hot air out the case. If ya use the zalman hot air will just circulate in the case...

I have the Zalman and it cools rather well. I turned the fan to the top to blow down on the NB and the back of the card. The case fan draws that air out and a slot fan on the other side draws out air from that side. The side case fan blows down across the heat pipes in the back.

When I had ATITool working running max core the temp only went as high as 60c (idle 38c(on a modded pro@XT) ... I did use AS5 on the GPU and not the paste with the kit.
I agree with Slayerstaps you do want the air going straight out of the case... but the memory on the back side heats up as well and I'm not sure you get memory heatsinks with the VGA silencers. It may depend on your case and your airflow... I'd wait for W1zzard to do the work for you :D He's going to test both

Slayerstaps

No you don't get ramsinks with the silencer but the one for the xt's cards has some alu and copper plates that cools the ram. But yeah putting the fan the other way cools the ram on the back nicely ;)
I just have a fan in the side window blowing over the card so my ramsinks are cooled pretty well anyways :D

sersalpha

Slayerstaps said:
... I just have a fan in the side window blowing over the card so my ramsinks are cooled pretty well anyways :D

Same here, I have a 92mm Sunon 44.5cfm fan blowing fresh air right on my card. I'm wondering if I'd get more benefit from it if it were cooling a Zalman rather than blowing on the VGA Silencer, although I wouldn't want to have to swap out my OCZ Cu BGA RAMsinks for the Zalman ones. ;)

sersalpha

...it would seem from the VGA Silencer rev. 3 and Zalman Z80C-HP reviews on the main page that the ZM80D-HP is going to trump the new VGA Silencers in performance by a considerable margin...

math

wizzard: how far are u for reviewing the silencers vs the zalman hp80d? I am very interested in the diferences :D

Now i got the ati silencer 4 installed on my x800 pro and it keeps him on 38 C (400/400 core/mem) in idle mode (stock did 44) and @ 43 C (520/560) when playing cod for 2 hours :p . Also, with the stock cooler in overclocked mode and in cod it had some very strange lagstrikes (fps goes down from 125 to 0 for a couple of secs) but now with the silencer these strange lagstrikes are gone! I think this was caused by the lack of mem-cooling on the back with stockcooling. Damn im very happy with it.

And now i wanna now i did the right buy or is the hp80d even better. Tx anyways :cool: