• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Zergotech Introduces the Zergotech Freedom: Aussie-based Ergonomic Mechanical Keyboard

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Well, introduces to yours truly at least! The Zergotech Freedom has officially been out since April 2020, but anything before March this year might as well be a parallel universe. The Sydney-based company has thus been also seeing a hard time getting the word out on their take on the ergonomic, split mechanical keyboard design. Developed in collaboration with another Sydney-based design company, Boost Design, the Zergotech Freedom has since won the Red Dot product design award and, as of the time of this post, the Australian Good Design award. These design awards specifically call out the two features that interested me as well, in the form of the patented sliding palm rests that ensure your palms are always supported when needed only, and the semi-orthogonal key layout that should theoretically lower the learning curve when going from a more-traditional staggered column setup to the parallel columnar setup usually employed in such keyboards.

The Zergotech Freedom otherwise ticks off just about every feature I expect to see from a split ergonomic keyboard in 2020, including the option of different tactile, clicky, and linear feedback mechanical switches from Kailh, multi-OS compatibility with a programmable interface to customize key mapping on the different layers of the keyboard, tilting and tenting of the keyboard halves for ergonomics, as well as the ability to go with blank keycaps out of the box if desired. What is different here, apart from those palm rests aforementioned, is the inclusion of O-rings to make the keyboard quieter, as well as the provision of a 75% keyboard for discrete key functionality. This means that the learning curve will be even lower, although the foot print occupied by the keyboard is higher than contemporary offerings. The Zergotech Freedom retails from $339 US, the pricing being another thing in common with other such keyboards, and one that I want to get my hands on to see if the pricing is justified.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Red Dot Awards... lol. They hand those out like candy, and even add the marketing flavor text for you.

Is TPU a marketing site now? The piece reads like it. Please let me know, because I'm not funding marketing. 339 is normal for a keyboard? I see.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Red Dot Awards... lol. They hand those out like candy, and even add the marketing flavor text for you.

Is TPU a marketing site now? The piece reads like it. Please let me know, because I'm not funding marketing. 339 is normal for a keyboard? I see.

It's an interesting new product for me (who reviews keyboards here, if you haven't noticed) so wanted to share it with others. Of course all news is marketing to an extent, and the pricing is in line with other such keyboards, as opposed to "normal for a keyboard".

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I did notice, obviously, that you do this. I'm just hoping for neutrality is all. But listing a slew of nonsensical awards is not doing that any favors. Its getting dangerously close to parroting marketing, when I read that all sorts of alarm bells start ringing.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I did notice, obviously, that you do this. I'm just hoping for neutrality is all. But listing a slew of nonsensical awards is not doing that any favors. Its getting dangerously close to parroting marketing, when I read that all sorts of alarm bells start ringing.

Those awards is actually how the company contacted me to begin with, so I figured I'd write this up on the day of the embargo of that last award to make it new news with info on the product, instead of copy-pasting the PR about the award and nothing else. Skipping the award bit would mean it would just be about a product that is 5 months old :)

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
$200 for a keyboard is ridiculous; this is extortion. The bottom line is, the product is a tenkeyless mechanical keyboard that's been sliced in half - no amount of "design" or special palm rests will change this fact.

For $339, they could at least use Cherry switches instead of knock-offs...

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
its too much, especially then the market is filled by many pretty known brands

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
No excuse for this ridiculous profiteering considering it is locally made.
This is a blatant money grab.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I guess in the parallel universe of niche keyboards this is normal. At least, this is what we've been told.

Not falling for that nonsense though. Its a hunk of plastic with some odd design choices and knockoff switches. That are fine, by the way. But still knockoff.

At 339

System Name Proper
Processor 5900X + OC
Motherboard GB X570s Elite AX
Cooling WC Heatkiller 3.0 LT
Memory G.Skill 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3070 Ti Trinity LC'ed + OC
Storage KC2500 1TB + A2000 1TB
Display(s) GB M32Q
Case Fractal Define R6 USB C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-7 + Phonic AM120
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-850
Mouse Log G502 X LS
Keyboard Keychron K5 Opt.brown
"Enter" instead of "Space" under the left thumb - who designed this?

zergotech

Friends, Zergotech here. Firstly, thanks to VSG and TechPowerUp for posting about us. This is simply an announcement of a new brand and product which is in line with past product announcements posted on this site. This award has provided a suitable segue to introduce the Freedom keyboard.

To provide a bit more colour about the keyboard.

The Freedom is primarily an ergonomic keyboard that is built on the sliding palm rest feature. Sliding palm rests provide the same ergonomic benefits as hovering your hands while typing, without tiring your arms. The keyboard comes with a plethora of other features including:

- Three integrated key layouts
- Fully programmable with 15 macro functions – all on-board, with no software
- Interchangeable fixed palm rests
- A split design with four in-built keyboard positions
- Embedded mouse
- Switchable between operating systems and language standards
- A unique semi-orthogonal design to keep as much familiarity as possible with standard keyboards
- Tempered and textured glass slider bay, and an overall premium build quality.

Regarding the key switches, we believe Kailh switches are not only among the best in the market, but Kailh has serviced us with custom key switches that we have spec’d. We chose the box switches to reduce key wobble and spec’d the switches to remove any ‘ping’, which Cherry also suffers from. We intend to broaden our switch range with time.

Editors who have personally reviewed the keyboard have genuinely loved it, and our customers have absolutely felt the benefit of the sliding palm rests. You can read these on our website. Ergonomists, ergonomic product resellers, and occupational therapists can all attest to this ergonomic innovation.

We have invested hundreds of thousands of dollars, and 2 years, to research, prototype and produce this keyboard. It took a great team of industrial design, electrical design, and firmware engineering to produce a product that earned the highest accolades in the world of design – achievements we are thoroughly proud of. It is a great day for our team and hope to continue reading our positive customer feedback about the improvement in their typing pain.

We intend to provide TechPowerUp with a unit for their independent review, and hope they can provide further insight into the keyboard from a power user perspective.

Until then, Safe Typing!

Zergotech Pty Ltd

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v

Your actually pay to get one of those. It's just a "design award" anyhow, has nothing to do with functionality.

$200 for a keyboard is ridiculous; this is extortion. The bottom line is, the product is a tenkeyless mechanical keyboard that's been sliced in half - no amount of "design" or special palm rests will change this fact.

For $339, they could at least use Cherry switches instead of knock-offs...
So you know what it costs to make moulds for something like this?
I guess not.
So as a startup, you're going to have to charge a fair amount over the competition to make that money back, especially when you make a niche product.

- Embedded mouse

Zergotech Pty Ltd

Hello, in case of confined to bed: your keyboard can be split to 2 parts, so left and right side of the bed is possible? Are the keycap for german-qwertz layout configureable?

zergotech

Hello, in case of confined to bed: your keyboard can be split to 2 parts, so left and right side of the bed is possible? Are the keycap for german-qwertz layout configureable?

Hi Jomale. Yes the keyboard is split in 2 parts which can be separated up to 50cm apart. The layouts are configurable in any language and we will have the German-Qwertz key prints on the key caps available in the next 2 months or so.

I feel like those complaining about the article hasn't read the article.

I haven't seen the sliding palm feature anywhere for a keyboard and it does seem very interesting in the context of an ergonomic keyboard :).

Would love to test it. Yeah the price is premium, but ergo keyboard are not known to be cheap first of all, and those features are quite unique.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Friends, Zergotech here. Firstly, thanks to VSG and TechPowerUp for posting about us. This is simply an announcement of a new brand and product which is in line with past product announcements posted on this site. This award has provided a suitable segue to introduce the Freedom keyboard.

To provide a bit more colour about the keyboard.

The Freedom is primarily an ergonomic keyboard that is built on the sliding palm rest feature. Sliding palm rests provide the same ergonomic benefits as hovering your hands while typing, without tiring your arms. The keyboard comes with a plethora of other features including:

- Interchangeable fixed palm rests
- Embedded mouse
- A unique semi-orthogonal design to keep as much familiarity as possible with standard keyboards
- Tempered and textured glass slider bay, and an overall premium build quality.

Regarding the key switches, we believe Kailh switches are not only among the best in the market, but Kailh has serviced us with custom key switches that we have spec’d. We chose the box switches to reduce key wobble and spec’d the switches to remove any ‘ping’, which Cherry also suffers from. We intend to broaden our switch range with time.

Editors who have personally reviewed the keyboard have genuinely loved it, and our customers have absolutely felt the benefit of the sliding palm rests. You can read these on our website. Ergonomists, ergonomic product resellers, and occupational therapists can all attest to this ergonomic innovation.

We have invested hundreds of thousands of dollars, and 2 years, to research, prototype and produce this keyboard. It took a great team of industrial design, electrical design, and firmware engineering to produce a product that earned the highest accolades in the world of design – achievements we are thoroughly proud of. It is a great day for our team and hope to continue reading our positive customer feedback about the improvement in their typing pain.

We intend to provide TechPowerUp with a unit for their independent review, and hope they can provide further insight into the keyboard from a power user perspective.

Until then, Safe Typing!

Zergotech Pty Ltd

I'll stop whining ;) Thanks for the insights and info, will look forward to its review on TPU.

FWIW, I've been using Kailh Browns and they were enjoyable to type on. If you can get them custom made from them, that's pretty neat.

But those cringe worthy awards... Just let the product speak for itself IMHO

rhaehnel

I've owned more than a few mechanical keyboards and, most recently, the Ergodox ez. Cost wise, the Freedom is in line w/ other programmable mechanical keyboards and, while the Freedom isnt quite as programmable as the Ergodox, it's programmable enough for my needs and i like the fact that it has more physical keys that are easily reachable. The big "feature" that did it for me is the sound and feel of the Freedom. I use the brown switches and they have a fantastic feel and sound that is far more premium compared to the Ergodox ez which sounded thin and plasticy in comparison. I had only ever used Cherry switches in the past, but Kailh made an awesome first impression. After using the Freedom for a few weeks, i was shocked at how bad the ergo(cherry brown switches) sounded and I just couldnt go back(I'm aware that the overall sound is the sum of the parts and not just the switches, but they do play a big role in it).

The ergodox does have some advantages with the hot swappable switches, led backlighting and advances programmability(tap and hold in particular), however, I found the Freedom to be a better keyboard overall, so i sold my Ergodox and kept the Freedom.