1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Zorin

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by Guitar, May 24, 2017.

1. Guitar

Guitar

Thanks Received:
    https://zorinos.com/
    Anybody used Zorin? How is it?

I was thinking earlier about Windows/Linux and gaming etc. Basically to get people to migrate off Windows, you need a really Windows like system that works very similarly and also allows running of Windows programs if necessary. Zorin seems to do most of that as well as has easier access for installing and running Windows based programs from Wine.

I know this has been attempted in the past, but has either failed or not had any adoption. Is this the case with Zorin, or is it actually worth using? Does it run 'most' Windows programs easier or better than a general wine install would? How is gaming on it if anybody has tried?

erocker says thanks.
  2. dorsetknob

dorsetknob "YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"

Thanks Received:
    Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
    Zorin OS is an Ubuntu-based Linux distribution designed especially for newcomers to Linux. With a Windows-like interface and many programs similar to those found in Microsoft's proprietary OS, it aims to make it easy for Windows users to get the most out of Linux.

above quick Google search^^^^^^^
    Don't think it natively runs windows prog's

eidairaman1 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Guitar

Guitar

Thanks Received:
    I don't think any Linux based OS does.

https://zorinos.com/help/install-apps/ - See the Windows section. That is what I was referring to. It could just be ONLY a wine wrapper to make it pretty/useable, but that's what I'm asking.

dorsetknob says thanks.
  4. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It has a nice clean look to it. I might play around with it on one of my Linux boxes.

Guitar says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Dethroy

Dethroy

Thanks Received:
    Scrolling down your link reveals the following:

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  6. Guitar

Guitar

Thanks Received:
    I might download and try it tonight or this weekend, will report back if I do. Might be the wrong section to ask as people here aren't generally looking for 'noob' OSs. But honestly, after my job I go home and just want shit to work and be able load up a game anytime, which is why I use Windows - never even open up the CLI. Anything development related or scripting etc I always boot up my Macbook. It would be nice to be able to do all that stuff natively sometimes which is what interests me.

(I have absolutely zero interest in doing anything Windows development or doing anything with Powershell, so before somebody says something about how they develop on Windows all the time, I don't and won't. And the Windows bash implementation is there but nowhere near ready for 'primetime'.)

Dethroy and Mindweaver say thanks.
  7. blobster21

blobster21

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
    10 Year Member at TPU
  8. erocker

erocker Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll give this a try with my htpc!

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. rk3066

rk3066

Thanks Received:
    I find it to be Trash. Linux MINT Serena is better

10. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    LinuxMint is poison. Zorin is better than Mint.

11. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Everyone has a right to their opinion and that is simply what is being expressed here. Respect other's opinions or do not post.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. therealmeep

therealmeep

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, everyone has their distro and every other thing beneath it, still haven't found a distro that for me has everything in it that I want, and the giant differences between trees of Linux like Debian Suse and redhat is that nothing is the freaking same and it drives me crazy. It's an unfortunate effect that means linux hasn't really caught on in big on end user computers. That said, I still can't pick a favorite distro from all of the ones I've used.

13. rk3066

rk3066

Thanks Received:
    There Too Many to pick from as you said. Tried Ubuntu and was just too buggy for me. Linux MINT [Based off Ubuntu] worked well for me. Each-His-Own Taste...

14. therealmeep

therealmeep

Thanks Received:
    I have tried way too many distros now. Debian wise I still use ubuntu i occasionally get system hangs/bugs mostly due to the ghetto KDE installation on my laptop. I've tried kubuntu as well but it came without net-tools which pissed me off beyond belief. Don't know why I am not a fan of mint I'm just not. I really have not found a Redhat based distro I don't care for, but theres crap for stuff compiled for them. I absolutely love SUSE to death, but the packages for it are worse than for Redhat. Arch is just out alone by itself, and don't get me wrong I like it, its just not for me either. Whatever works best for whoever you are is really all I can say. I will say Debian based is sort of the go to do most stuff and get started asap os, Redhat is awesome for database, web stuff, and business, and SUSE is fun to play with and has lots of fun stuff to do with. (my home server runs SUSE) All of this, and I would love an easy way to have cross platform package managers.

rk3066 says thanks.
  15. FYFI13

FYFI13

Thanks Received:
    Please explain yourself. How is it a poison?