• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ZOTAC GeForce 8600 GT 512MB Power specs

CH@NO

System Name Thank God you're back!!!
Processor Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.1GHz (stock)
Motherboard ECS H67H2-M3
Cooling Stock + 1 X 80mm Thermaltake red LED
Memory 1 X 4 GB Kingston 1333MHz DDR3
Video Card(s) coming soon
Storage 1TB Seagate SATAII + 500GB Hitachi USB (External)
Display(s) Samsung 20" LED Widescreen
Case coming soon
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek HD 6ch Audio
Power Supply Generic 450W with 20A on the 12v+ rail
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores coming soon
when a card says X wattage is the mimum means if you have a 300W PSU with the standard hardware installed the card will run ok.

I saw the card you want to buy...It requires a 6pin PCI-E connector, and I don't think your PSU has one....you may want to upgrade your PSU, I don't reccomend to use the 6pin adaptor (if comes with the card) with your actual PSU.

Anyway use this link to find the average wattage of the PSU you should have with your actual hardware

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

HFeline

Thank you for you replay, if I entered everything properly, I should only require 270w at best including the card.
Second time, I entered everything I got a max of 253w.
The difference is because (I could go into details, but) let's just say I'm a newb. I omitted anything I have no idea about since the conclusion is that if I don't know about it, I probably don't have it. I'll look this over tomorrow when its no 5 in the morning and talk it over with someone who knows more. I have a Power Suppy (PSU, right?) 400w which is virtually been unused for the past 6 or 7 years and was still good back then. The computer its attached to has a faulty jack on the motherboard which makes it impossible to use the Hard drives for now so...
As for the card it does come with a hook up for the supply, and if calculations are right it should be fine. Maybe. Think I should pull the 400w out and use that instead?

CH@NO

Motherboard ECS H67H2-M3
Case coming soon
Thank you for you replay, if I entered everything properly, I should only require 270w at best including the card.
Second time, I entered everything I got a max of 253w.
The difference is because (I could go into details, but) let's just say I'm a newb. I omitted anything I have no idea about since the conclusion is that if I don't know about it, I probably don't have it. I'll look this over tomorrow when its no 5 in the morning and talk it over with someone who knows more. I have a Power Suppy (PSU, right?) 400w which is virtually been unused for the past 6 or 7 years and was still good back then. The computer its attached to has a faulty jack on the motherboard which makes it impossible to use the Hard drives for now so...
As for the card it does come with a hook up for the supply, and if calculations are right it should be fine. Maybe. Think I should pull the 400w out and use that instead?

maybe not, If I understood you right you're planning to use a 400W PSU (Power Supply Unit) that has 7 years old???...DON'T TRY IT!!!, you may fry your hardware.

If your PSU is 7 years old indeed, then I'm almost sure It won't fit in your actual rig..assuming you have something 2 years old rig (must be due to the VGA you bought is PCI-E). It won't fit 'cause It didn't have the 24-pin ATX connector.

Also very old PSUs like yours has VERY LOW amperage running on the 12V+ rail, and the amperage is the most important thing on a PSU, I didn't mentioned It 'cause when we're talkin about low-end VGAs the amperage is really not too important if you use a "normal" or even "generic" PSU....If you'll use that 7 yo PSU your system could not work properly, may not boot at all and may damage your hardware.

It's better to buy a new PSU, with that VGA you can buy something cheap and It will work fine.

Also please tell us your SYSTEM SPECS, to help you better.

CH@NO

Motherboard ECS H67H2-M3
Case coming soon
I did a little research and your Zotac 8600GT card requ. aprox. 20 amperes to run stable, may be less or may be more, It depends on how many hardware you have connected to your PSU.

I could be wrong with your 7yo PSU, so check in your PSU STICKIER the number that appears below or next to the 12V+ symbol....that's the amperage that the PSU will deliver.

System Name Bitch / Dogma
Processor 955 BE @ 3.8Gig / 9850 @stock
Video Card(s) 8800 GTX 512 / 4890
Storage 8 x Samsung F2 1.5TB, 8 x Seagate 500s
Display(s) Acer 24 / Dell 24
Case Lian li / Akasa
Software Win server 2008 / Win 7
This is the info I've found for that card:

8600 GT 26W (min draw)-52W (max draw)

System Name Ultrabeast GX2
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4.0GHZ 24/7
Motherboard Gigabit P35-DS3L
Cooling Rosewill RX24, Dual Slot Vid, Fan control
Memory 2x1gb 1066mhz@850MHZ DDR2
Video Card(s) 9800GX2 @ 690/1040
Storage 750/250/250/200 all WD 7200
Display(s) 24" DCLCD 2ms 1200p
Case Apevia
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Digital on-board, 5.1 digital hooked up
Power Supply 700W RAIDMAXXX SLI
Software winXP Pro
Benchmark Scores 17749 3DM06
if you dont have the power to use this card, then you dont have a power supply at all.

CH@NO

Motherboard ECS H67H2-M3
Case coming soon
http://www.emachines.com/support/product_support.html?cat=Desktops&subcat=W Series&model=W3507#

Tomorrow I'll go a see about picking up a better PSU then. Anything that can cover, at least 4 - 500w should be fine for a few years, right?

If you plan to keep it for a couple of years then pick one descenet of a good brand (Corsair, Thermaltake, Cooler Master, etc.) , maybe It'll be a little expensive than the generic versions, but It'll deliver you constant power and will be much more reliable.

We can help you better IF YOU ARE KINDLY ENOUGH TO TELL US YOUR SYSTEM SPECS, please? :D

HFeline

http://www.emachines.com/support/pro...s&model=W3507# This link has my computer specs with the exception that my computer has 2g of RAM and two USB devices.

I've been using this machine since March 2007 and in two months that'll be 2 years. According to that link, I do have enough power to run the card, but it won't last through the year. If that site is right, then I have all of 6 w to spare.
without the card, I'm at 233w. With the card, it's 279w.

HFeline

Currently without the card, my machine, according to the site you sent me to, runs only at 233w.
20% for 2 years, right.
With the card, it jumps to 279w. with a maximum draw of 52w, even if its at 25%- (243w) I still have wattage to spare.

I saw the card you want to buy...It requires a 6pin PCI-E connector, and I don't think your PSU has one....you may want to upgrade your PSU, I don't reccomend to use the 6pin adaptor (if comes with the card) with your actual PSU.

6pin PCI-E connector. Well, it plugs nicely into my mother board no problem. And for better or worse my PSU is still good, but you think I should get a stronger PSU, right? If you thinks so, what would you recommend that I do with the one I'm using now? Sell it? I don't mind. I can do that on eBay, right? If I give you the serial, can you find out if it can take the 6pin connector?