• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ZOTAC Releases Statement on GeForce RTX 3080 Crash-to-Desktop Issues

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
We have seen many reports from users of GeForce RTX 3080 (including the 3080 Trinity) graphics cards crashing during gaming. A new GeForce driver version 456.55 has been released and we urge all to re-install your graphics card drivers as we believe it should improve stability.

We would like to reassure our customers who either have a ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 30 Series graphics card on hand or have placed an order in your local retailer or etailer to continue having confidence in us and our products. Our graphics cards have undergone stringent testing and quality controls in design and manufacturing to ensure safety and great performance. At ZOTAC, product quality and your satisfaction are always very important to us.

Please contact your local service center or our support team in case you need help or have further questions relating to our products.

Thank you for your continued support!

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Intel I9 7940X
Motherboard Asus Strix Rog Gaming E X299
Cooling Xigmatek LOKI SD963 double-Fan
Memory 64Gb DDR4 2666Mhz
Video Card(s) 1)RX 6900XT BIOSTAR 16Gb***2)MATROX M9120LP
Storage 2 x ssd-Kingston 240Gb A400 in RAID 0+ HDD 500Gb +Samsung 128gbSSD +SSD Kinston 480Gb
Display(s) BenQ 28"EL2870U(4K-HDR) / Acer 24"(1080P) / Eizo 2336W(1080p) / 2x Eizo 19"(1280x1024)
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) Realtek/Creative T20 Speakers
Power Supply F S P Hyper S 700W
Mouse Asus TUF-GAMING M3
Keyboard Func FUNC-KB-460/Mechanical Keyboard
VR HMD Oculus Rift DK2
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Fire Strike=23905,Cinebench R15=3189,Cinebench R20=3791.Passmark=30689,Geekbench4=32885
What about that Mooncake???

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Doesn't change the fact the cards that's already out there are what they are.
If they'll honor RMA's of problematic cards that would be great along with improving the design to avoid further issues.

TBH I have a pair of Zotac cards that's done rather well over the years (550ti AMP! cards) and I tend to use them all the time - So far I've never had an issue from either of them.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
I've had Zotac cards in years past, including my son's current 2080, and neveranottaproblemo....

Hopefully they will provide the necessary customer service to correct the issues on the cards already out there (RMA's/repairs etc), which should/could earn them alot of praise from everyone who bought one of these new cards already :)

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
I've had Zotac cards in years past, including my son's current 2080, and neveranottaproblemo....

I think this would apply to the both of us.... "Knocks on wood" (Head :D).

Hopefully they will provide the necessary customer service to correct the issues on the cards already out there (RMA's/repairs etc), which should/could earn them alot of praise from everyone who bought one of these new cards already :)

That's what I'm hoping for the sake of those that did buy one.
Luckily I don't have a need to upgrade anytime soon, the Radeon VII I'm using will do for years in my case.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
If they'll honor RMA's of problematic cards that would be great along with improving the design to avoid further issues.

TBH I have a pair of Zotac cards that's done rather well over the years (550ti AMP! cards) and I tend to use them all the time - So far I've never had an issue from either of them.
Why wouldn't they honor warranties?

The latest driver has seemed to improve things. I don't know about resolve the issue, perhaps the weaker cards, like the zotac, it may still be an issue, but so far, the driver has turned things around for many.

Poor Zotac. They're just trying to cheap out on expensive cards and everyone keeps listing them first-thing whenever someone talks about a bad designs. It's hard not to want to get the Asus TUF series just to be safe.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 Mooncake Edition.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C

The drivers probably already lowered clocks slightly so technically they'll claim the problem is gone.

System Name Daves
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard AsRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Enermax LIQMAX III 360
Memory 32 GiG Team Group B Die 3600
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5700 xt Red Devil
Storage Crucial MX 500 SSD and Intel P660 NVME 2TB for games
Display(s) Acer 144htz 27in. 2560x1440
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair RM 750
Mouse EVGA
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Windows 10 Pro
If I had a 3080 and it crashed and a driver update fixed it but lowered clocks I'd be pissed.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Why wouldn't they honor warranties?

The latest driver has seemed to improve things. I don't know about resolve the issue, perhaps the weaker cards, like the zotac, it may still be an issue, but so far, the driver has turned things around for many.

I don't really see a reason why they woudn't if the card is problematic. If the driver solves it that's fine but in cases the card really is borked that's when a warranty should cover it - However I know how some are about RMA's too.
I'm just hoping it's a fix the software will take care of and they will improve the cards over what the ones that's already sold now are. Since they are weaker in design that's the real sticking point of it BUT again I too don't see "Why" any warranty woudn't be honored as long as the problem is legit.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I don't really see a reason why they woudn't if the card is problematic. If the driver solves it that's fine but in cases the card really is borked that's when a warranty should cover it - However I know how some are about RMA's too.
I'm just hoping it's a fix the software will take care of and they will improve the cards over what the ones that's already sold now are. Since they are weaker in design that's the real sticking point of it BUT again I too don't see "Why" any warranty woudn't be honored as long as the problem is legit.
Gotcha... since you seemed to question it, I asked for reasoning. :)

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Dear Nvidia and AIB-s, next time you need to "optimize the cost" of late power stage filtering near the GPU, at least stress test the transient loads in the worst case scenario:

Step 1. Choose the shittiest PSU with noisiest output barely passing ATX specs
Step 2. Choose the game that uses 100% of GPU in-game and 0.1% of GPU in menus
Step 3. Write a macro that flips a game to menu and back every couple of seconds to wildly change GPU load and mess with boost
Step 4. Test for gazillion hours
Step 5. Profit

System Name Daves
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard AsRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Enermax LIQMAX III 360
Memory 32 GiG Team Group B Die 3600
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5700 xt Red Devil
Storage Crucial MX 500 SSD and Intel P660 NVME 2TB for games
Display(s) Acer 144htz 27in. 2560x1440
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair RM 750
Mouse EVGA
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Windows 10 Pro
If it doesn't effect performance, why? Have you read some of the results yet and changes? You should. :)

Yes I have read them.. Accepting rush job garbage like this that is forced out the door and into the public before it is
thoroughly tested just rubs me wrong. But that's me:)

capoleone

People that are, will, or would have been rushing for RMA (yes, statistically most of the talking ones don't have the cards) either have no clue about hardware or just bought an entry-level GPU expecting to go home and say "What a deal! There's no difference between this 719$ card and a 900$ card!".

The issue here is not even closely related to the type of CAPs used on the cards, in fact, even full MLCCs or 4-2 config cards have had this issue that was completely resolved with NVIDIA Driver 456.55. If the problem was strictly related to CAPs quality or type (MLCC are not higher quality than POSCAP, they are just for different applications) then why the problem still existed on MLCCs cards like Strix OC, Gaming OC and TUF Gaming? Wouldn't it just be related to full POSCAPs cards?
And more, anyone who really wanted to identify the problem before pointing fingers would have done some real testing and tried the cards on a different OS (let's say Linux), and guess what, 456.16 running smooth with solid performance and no crash at all.

With Driver 456.55, cards push easily 2000-2050MHz with no crash. Even the ZOTAC Trinity.

In favor of ZOTAC, the Trinity is a reference card which means stock specs (provided by NVIDIA), if you bought it thinking that you just got a great deal on a premium top-spec flagship model, well, bad news for you. Even with that you still have great build quality, performance and features on ZOTAC's base card, with good materials, a more than decent and renewed cooling system, and aesthetics straight from the ex-top of the line RTX 2080 Ti.
If you are an enthusiast looking for absolute perfection and extreme overclock capable hardware you'll not even be considering the Trinity as an option, which is, AGAIN, an entry-level card meant for plug-and-play gaming.

If there's anyone guilty here is NVIDIA, that should have delayed the release until 456.55 was ready. No-one would have ever known the CAP configuration of the cards, except for those who always did for real reasons.
And by the way, 1-week NVIDIA's driver issue "Refund! RMA my card! Insufficient components! Better wait for RDNA2. Cheap cards at high price!".
9 MONTHS of AMD constant drivers' issues, crashes, black screens, poor performance and You may experience this and that disclaimers. "Everything is ok, AMD is on our side. NVIDIA just wants money."

System Name Room Heater Pro
Processor i9-13900KF
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-F GAMING WIFI
Cooling Corsair iCUE H170i ELITE CAPELLIX 420mm
Memory Kingston Renegade RGB, 32GB 2x2x16GB, DDR5, 6400MHz, CL32
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4090 GameRock OC 24GB
Storage Kingston FURY Renegade Gen.4, 4TB, NVMe, M.2.
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG48UQ, 47.5", 4K, OLED, 138Hz, 0.1 ms, G-SYNC
Case Thermaltake View 51 TG ARGB
Power Supply Asus ROG Thor, 1200W Platinum
Mouse Logitech Pro X Superlight 2
Keyboard Logitech G213 RGB
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 21H2
If you are an enthusiast looking for absolute perfection and extreme overclock capable hardware you'll not even be considering the Trinity as an option, which is, AGAIN, an entry-level card meant for plug-and-play gaming.

Overall, I agree. But there might still be some edge cases where it might make sense to buy a cheaper card, for example if you plan to replace its cooling system with a water-cooling block, as you will throw away the overengineered and expensive air cooling solutions if you buy a more expensive card instead. Of course, even in that case, buying a cheaper card is risky. You might hit various limitations of its design and components and get little or no benefit from the switch to water cooling.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
The issue here is not even closely related to the type of CAPs used on the cards, in fact, even full MLCCs or 4-2 config cards have had this issue that was completely resolved with NVIDIA Driver 456.55. If the problem was strictly related to CAPs quality or type (MLCC are not higher quality than POSCAP, they are just for different applications) then why the problem still existed on MLCCs cards like Strix OC, Gaming OC and TUF Gaming? Wouldn't it just be related to full POSCAPs cards?
Some were more prone to crashing than others, Nvidia uses one MLCC array with high capacity yellow ones (closest to core) and rest are also high capacity solids with varying mounting orientation (which apparently matters with filtering circuits)... so it's both appropriate configuration and ample capacitance.